|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
(a) Landscape painting.
(b) Trompe l'oeil paintings.
(c) Homeric versa.
(d) Terza rima.
2. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
(a) A middle ground between city and country.
(c) A high ground in terms of religious experience.
(d) Legitimacy as an American.
3. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
4. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Ferdinand and Miranda.
(b) Miranda and Caliban.
(c) Gonzalo and Prospero.
(d) Gonzalo and Ferdinand.
6. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
(a) Urbaneness and wilderness.
(b) Nature and civility.
(c) Literature and action.
(d) Poetry and technology.
7. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The interruption of woodland peace.
(b) The futility of fighting nature.
(c) The imperative to transform nature.
(d) The desire to merge with nature.
8. What allowed America to preserve Jeffersonian ideals for 100 years after Jefferson wrote about them?
(a) A frontier to expand into.
(b) Peace with natives.
(c) Absence of foreign threats.
(d) Slow pace of technological development.
9. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
(a) Paradise Regained.
(c) The Iliad.
(d) Paradise Lost.
10. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
(a) As a pestilential swamp.
(b) As a purgatory.
(c) As a desert.
(d) As a promised land.
11. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Small towns.
(b) Urban areas.
(c) Urban parks.
(d) Outdated buildings.
12. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
(a) As simple and virtuous.
(b) As evil and plotting.
(c) As naïve and untrustworthy.
(d) As barbaric and cruel.
13. What desire does Marx describe as the opposite of Barlowe's view?
(a) The desire to know the earth mystically.
(b) The desire to tame the landscape.
(c) The desire to make the earth productive.
(d) The desire to convert the savages.
14. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
(a) At the Industrial Revolution.
(b) At the Revolution.
(c) During the French Revolution.
(d) At colonization.
15. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher.
(b) Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin.
(c) Twain's Huckleberry Finn.
(d) Morrison's Beloved.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
2. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
3. When did a uniquely American pastoral image emerge?
4. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
5. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)