Short Essay Questions Key
1. When did the pastoral ideal become a part of American culture?
The pastoral ideal became part of American culture at the moment of colonization.
2. How did colonists see America?
In Marx's account, Americans saw America as a virgin territory, unsettled and uncivilized, pristine in its natural surroundings, which would give new residents a bountiful landscape, in which colonists could farm and raise livestock.
3. How long does Marx say the pastoral ideal has endured?
The pastoral ideal continues to exist in American culture even to this day.
4. Where has the pastoral ideal been apparent in American culture?
The pastoral ideal has been apparent in American political, economic and social principles.
5. What is the pastoral ideal?
The pastoral ideal is the expectation that people can live in harmony or balance with the beauty of nature and the comforts of civilization.
6. What is the sentimental pastoral ideal?
The sentimental pastoral ideal is the value people give to green space, conservation, and the simple rural values.
This section contains 2,702 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)