Short Answer Key
Sleepy Hollow, 1844
1. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
2. What did colonists find in America?
3. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
To live in the lap of nature.
4. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
Green, rural lifestyle.
5. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
6. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
Relocation to the suburbs.
7. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
By making green spaces.
8. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
9. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
10. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in...
This section contains 2,674 words|
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)