|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(c) Feelings of alienation.
2. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
(a) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
(b) Beverly saw the natives learn to want drink and escapism as a result of contact with settlers.
(c) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
(d) Beverly saw human nature become greedy when resources were cheap.
3. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
(a) As simple and virtuous.
(b) As naïve and untrustworthy.
(c) As evil and plotting.
(d) As barbaric and cruel.
4. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
(a) The savages' harmony with nature.
(b) Harnessing natural resources.
(c) Domesticating wild things.
(d) Green, rural lifestyle.
5. What criticism did Carlyle make of American industrialism?
(a) He lamented the death of wildlife.
(b) He decried the disruption of nature.
(c) He protested the destruction of indigenous societies.
(d) He complained about the decline of marriage in cities.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
2. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
3. How did Thoreau describe modern man?
4. What feeling characterized the beginning of Mark Twain's writing career?
5. What is the relationship between industrialism and pastoralism?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)