|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which industry has Marx talked most about, in 'The Machine in the Garden'?
(d) Medical devices.
2. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
3. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Relocation to the suburbs.
(c) Rail trails.
(d) Exploitation of resources.
4. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
(a) Vanities and conflicts over property.
(b) Suppression of religious expression.
(c) Plagues and uncertainty over medical treatment.
(d) Dogmas and conflicts over religion.
5. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Military developments had made technology deadlier than ever.
(b) Man had become a slave to his tools.
(c) Industry had generated enormous wealth.
(d) Machines had improved daily life for millions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of man remained free of industrialism, in Carlyle's view?
2. What percentage of Americans lived on farms (in the time of Marx's writing)?
3. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
4. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
5. What does Ishmael symbolize, in Marx's interpretation of Moby Dick?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)