|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
2. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
(a) As a tropical paradise.
(b) As a refuge from Europe.
(c) As a land of plenty.
(d) As a harsh land.
3. How did Emerson portray nature?
(a) As chaotic and disorganized.
(b) As a force to be overcome.
(c) As the grand provider.
(d) As demonic.
4. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
(a) Paradise Lost.
(b) Paradise Regained.
(d) The Iliad.
5. What is the relationship between industrialism and pastoralism?
(b) Mutual reinforcement.
(c) Mutual exclusivity.
(d) Cause and effect.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of man remained free of industrialism, in Carlyle's view?
2. What would manufacturing do for America, in Coxe's estimation?
3. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
4. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
5. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)