|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(c) Feelings of alienation.
2. What conflict does Marx say was avoided as America expanded?
(a) Warfare between North and South.
(b) Warfare between industrial and agrarian interests.
(c) Class warfare.
(d) Warfare between financiers and farmers.
3. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
4. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
(a) Accounts of travel to the Pacific islands.
(b) Accounts of travel to India.
(c) Accounts of travel to the New World.
(d) Accounts of African tribes.
5. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
(a) Enclosure laws.
(b) Public transit.
(d) The end of slavery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did colonists find in America?
2. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. What has happened to the ideal of the pastoral society, in Marx's opinion?
4. How were frontiersmen typically portrayed by easterners in Jefferson's time?
5. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)