|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which school of criticism does Marx belong to?
(b) New Criticism.
(c) New Historicism.
(d) Psychoanalytic criticism.
2. How did Melville describe whaling?
(a) As an art.
(b) As a spiritual calling.
(c) As an industrial enterprise.
(d) As a symbol of society.
3. What effect does Marx say Emerson foresaw for industrialism?
(a) Devaluation of the worker in the market.
(b) Fulfillment of the worker in his work.
(c) Control of the worker in his working environment.
(d) Detachment of the worker from his work.
4. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
(a) As simple and virtuous.
(b) As naïve and untrustworthy.
(c) As evil and plotting.
(d) As barbaric and cruel.
5. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
Short Answer Questions
1. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
3. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
4. What is the purpose of an epilogue?
5. What did Emerson's philosophy ultimately propose?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)