|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the general feeling about industrialism in America, as it expanded?
2. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
3. What percentage of Americans lived on farms (in the time of Marx's writing)?
4. How would you describe Marx's book 'The Machine in the Garden'?
5. What is the most important part of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest', in Marx's estimation?
(a) A conflict over how to use resources.
(b) A political power struggle.
(c) An engagement and marriage.
(d) A conflict over territory.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marx say most American writers described industrial expansion?
2. What does Marx say Beverly felt about the New World, by the end of his history?
3. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
4. How does Marx predict the trend toward urbanization and industrialization will be reversed?
5. What role has literature played in the formation of the culture Marx describes in 'The Machine in the Garden'?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)