|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feature of modern society came into existence with American industrialism?
(a) Strikes and riots.
(b) Laissez-fair class structure.
(d) Total warfare.
2. Which industry has Marx talked most about, in 'The Machine in the Garden'?
(c) Medical devices.
3. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
(a) The portrait of men who gain power by disposing of natural resources.
(b) The portrait of indecision about taking the throne.
(c) The portrait of love's frailty against political power.
(d) The portrait of an unspoiled landscape invaded by Europeans.
4. What would men of reason provide in Emerson's vision?
(b) Political strife.
5. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
(c) More elegant.
(d) More complex.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did a uniquely American pastoral image emerge?
2. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
3. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
4. What power does Marx credit government with, in reversing the trend toward urbanization and industrialization?
5. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)