|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most important part of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest', in Marx's estimation?
(a) A conflict over territory.
(b) A conflict over how to use resources.
(c) An engagement and marriage.
(d) A political power struggle.
2. What is the consequence of knowing nature, according to Twain's work?
(a) Knowing the deep inter-connectedness of things.
(b) Feeling free of society.
(c) Losing familiarity with the whole.
(d) Knowing the wild spirit of nature.
3. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
(a) Trompe l'oeil paintings.
(b) Homeric versa.
(c) Landscape painting.
(d) Terza rima.
4. What does Marx say Beverly felt about the New World, by the end of his history?
(c) Cautiously optimistic.
5. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(c) Feelings of alienation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marx say modern Americans see nature?
2. What is Ishmael's task, in Marx's description of Melville's vision in Moby Dick?
3. What did Emerson say that science and technology could serve?
4. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
5. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)