|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
(a) Accounts of travel to the Pacific islands.
(b) Accounts of travel to India.
(c) Accounts of travel to the New World.
(d) Accounts of African tribes.
2. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(c) Urban planners.
3. What symbolic statement does Marx say Twain made in the raft being destroyed in Huckleberry Finn?
(a) Technology has progressed beyond steamboats.
(b) Fleeing from the law is dangerous.
(c) Man is alone in the river of life.
(d) Hiding from society is impossible.
4. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
5. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
(a) Nature seemed benevolent compared with the disordered city.
(b) Nature seemed divine and benevolent compared with corrupt man.
(c) Nature had become a mirror for man's corrupt soul.
(d) Nature seemed chaotic and devilish compared with civilization.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marx say will *not* contribute to reversing the trend toward urbanization and industrialization?
2. What is the relationship between industrialism and pastoralism?
3. What trait did American thinkers and writers see in evidence in America's industrial expansion?
4. What did Emerson's philosophy ultimately propose?
5. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)