|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
2. What effect did Carlyle say industrialism would have?
(a) Disrupting the continuity of societies with mobility.
(b) Poisoning the rivers and water.
(c) Increasing the gap between rich and poor.
(d) Corrupting the youth with dreams of individualism.
3. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
4. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
(a) As spokesmen for conservation.
(b) As victims of political power.
(c) As advance agents of civilization.
(d) As experienced people hoping for redemption.
5. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
(a) Tariffs on imported manufactured goods.
(b) Farm subsidies.
(c) Low taxes.
(d) Regulation of speculative investments.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ishmael symbolize, in Marx's interpretation of Moby Dick?
2. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
3. Who does Marx offer as examples of 'complex pastoralism' in America literature?
4. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
5. Who was Tench Coxe?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)