|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Henry Adams envision as the consequence of technology?
(a) Disaffection, alienation, and disease.
(b) The unification of knowledge in one science.
(c) The human race committing suicide.
(d) The unification of humans and nature.
2. What was the American response to steam power in Britain?
(a) That it would provide them cheap power.
(b) That it would corrupt the youth with dreams of travel.
(c) That it would never come to America.
(d) That it would become their great strength.
3. How did Jefferson describe the representative man in Notes on Virginia?
(a) A powerful industrialist.
(b) An industrious, independent farmer.
(c) A virtuous man of nature.
(d) An inventive entrepreneur.
4. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Living in the woods.
(b) Indian wars.
(c) A whale hunt.
(d) A reverie in the woods.
5. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Gonzalo and Prospero.
(b) Gonzalo and Ferdinand.
(c) Ferdinand and Miranda.
(d) Miranda and Caliban.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the general feeling about industrialism in America, as it expanded?
2. What symbolic statement does Marx say Twain made in the raft being destroyed in Huckleberry Finn?
3. What is the relationship between industrialism and pastoralism?
4. What is the consequence of knowing nature, according to Twain's work?
5. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)