|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
(a) At colonization.
(b) At the Industrial Revolution.
(c) During the French Revolution.
(d) At the Revolution.
2. What did Henry Adams envision as the consequence of technology?
(a) The unification of knowledge in one science.
(b) The unification of humans and nature.
(c) The human race committing suicide.
(d) Disaffection, alienation, and disease.
3. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
4. What was unique about American manufacturing, in Coxe's view?
(a) Markets were waiting for American goods.
(b) It presented enormous economic opportunities.
(c) The raw materials were limitless.
(d) The environment would keep it healthy.
5. What percentage of Americans lived on farms (in the time of Marx's writing)?
Short Answer Questions
1. What still remains in every man, in Marx's account?
2. What else does Marx say about people who live pastoral lives?
3. How many Americans lived on farms by the end of the 19th century?
4. What does Marx point out was formed as a result of the Revolutionary War?
5. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)