|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Ferdinand and Miranda.
(b) Miranda and Caliban.
(c) Gonzalo and Ferdinand.
(d) Gonzalo and Prospero.
2. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to nature.
(b) Life in nature.
(c) Life in religion.
(d) Life in the city.
3. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
(a) A place of redemption.
(b) A refuge.
(c) A source for good in the Old World.
(d) A place of hardship.
4. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
(a) To live in the lap of nature.
(b) To turn nature into an industrial resource.
(c) To live out a primitive existence.
(d) To transform nature into an ordered place.
5. What feeling characterized the beginning of Mark Twain's writing career?
(a) Optimism about industrial expansion into the midwest.
(b) Lamentation about the death of Indian cultures.
(c) Fear about the consequences of the railroad.
(d) Nostalgia for the old days on the Mississippi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
2. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
3. How does Marx predict the trend toward urbanization and industrialization will be reversed?
4. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
5. What does the ocean symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)