|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
(a) Development and expansion.
(b) Hard work and sacrifice.
(c) Conservation and reservations.
(d) Generosity and sharing.
2. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
(a) More elegant.
(c) More complex.
3. How does Marx characterize man's hopes for nature?
(a) Scientific resource allocation.
(b) Realistic planning.
(c) Pastoral idealism.
(d) Consensus-based resource use.
4. What symbolic statement does Marx say Twain made in the raft being destroyed in Huckleberry Finn?
(a) Fleeing from the law is dangerous.
(b) Man is alone in the river of life.
(c) Hiding from society is impossible.
(d) Technology has progressed beyond steamboats.
5. What effect did Carlyle say industrialism would have?
(a) Increasing the gap between rich and poor.
(b) Corrupting the youth with dreams of individualism.
(c) Disrupting the continuity of societies with mobility.
(d) Poisoning the rivers and water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
2. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
3. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
4. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
5. How does industrialism devalue man, in Carlyle's opinion?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)