|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
(a) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
(b) Beverly saw human nature become greedy when resources were cheap.
(c) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
(d) Beverly saw the natives learn to want drink and escapism as a result of contact with settlers.
2. What desire does Marx describe as the opposite of Barlowe's view?
(a) The desire to tame the landscape.
(b) The desire to make the earth productive.
(c) The desire to know the earth mystically.
(d) The desire to convert the savages.
3. What still remains in every man, in Marx's account?
(a) Optimism for industry.
(b) Hope for progress.
(c) The pastoral ideal.
(d) Faith in medicine.
4. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
(a) Lawlessness and restraint.
(b) Savagery and civilization.
(c) Hardship and providence.
(d) Wisdom and innocence.
5. How does industrialism devalue man, in Carlyle's opinion?
(a) It requires long hours in dark factories.
(b) It uses only one part of him.
(c) It discourages invention.
(d) It treats him as a commodity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
2. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
3. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
4. What else does Marx say about people who live pastoral lives?
5. What was Daniel Webster's take on industrialism?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)