|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Marx credit with predicting all the evils of industrialism?
(a) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) John Orvis.
(d) Daniel Webster.
2. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
(a) As barbaric and cruel.
(b) As simple and virtuous.
(c) As naïve and untrustworthy.
(d) As evil and plotting.
3. How would you classify Marx's 'The Machine in the Garden'?
(a) Scientific study.
(b) Psychological report.
(c) Literary criticism.
(d) Cultural criticism.
4. What symbolic statement does Marx say Twain made in the raft being destroyed in Huckleberry Finn?
(a) Man is alone in the river of life.
(b) Technology has progressed beyond steamboats.
(c) Fleeing from the law is dangerous.
(d) Hiding from society is impossible.
5. What does our continued faith in the pastoral society preserve, in Marx's description?
(a) Faith in urban planning.
(b) Faith in individual survival.
(c) Pessimism about industry.
(d) Pessimism about leaders.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
2. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
3. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
4. How did Coxe's vision for industrialism intersect with pastoralism?
5. What virtues did Jefferson associate with the civilization?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)