|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
(a) Storms and primitive land.
(b) Rocky soil and harsh laws.
(c) Political intrigue.
(d) Sparse resources and unsafe territory.
2. What dangers were writers warning about as America urbanized?
(a) Declining value of money.
(b) Decline of morals.
(c) Creation of a permanently poor underclass.
(d) Loss of nature.
3. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) A reverie in the woods.
(b) A whale hunt.
(c) Living in the woods.
(d) Indian wars.
4. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
(a) As barbaric and cruel.
(b) As evil and plotting.
(c) As simple and virtuous.
(d) As naïve and untrustworthy.
5. Whom does Marx credit with predicting all the evils of industrialism?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(c) John Orvis.
(d) Daniel Webster.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contradiction does Marx say is Melville's true theme in Moby Dick?
2. What does Marx point out accompanied factories and progress in transportation?
3. What does Marx say Thoreau wanted people to do in nature?
4. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
5. What would people live on, in Gonzalo's ideal world?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)