|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
(a) Chaotic forces of nature.
(b) The demonic element in factories.
(c) Man's desire for progress.
2. Why does Marx say that machines could be welcomed into America?
(a) Because industrial capacity provided a survival edge.
(b) Because the frontier would always be wild.
(c) Because there was such sharp competition.
(d) Because they would tame the vast frontier.
3. Which school of criticism does Marx belong to?
(a) Psychoanalytic criticism.
(c) New Historicism.
(d) New Criticism.
4. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are no longer exclusive.
(b) They are both reinvented by machines.
(c) They are both monetized.
(d) They are no longer interdependent.
5. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Urban areas.
(b) Outdated buildings.
(c) Urban parks.
(d) Small towns.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
2. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
3. What would men of understanding provide in Emerson's vision?
4. What symbolic statement does Marx say Twain made in the raft being destroyed in Huckleberry Finn?
5. What did Jefferson ultimately conclude about industrialism?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)