|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Tench Coxe?
(a) A New York financier.
(b) A Philadelphia inventor and statesman.
(c) A Philadelphia merchant.
(d) A Boston statesman.
2. How did Jefferson describe the representative man in Notes on Virginia?
(a) An inventive entrepreneur.
(b) A powerful industrialist.
(c) An industrious, independent farmer.
(d) A virtuous man of nature.
3. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
(a) Justice in righting old wrongs.
(b) Balance between man and nature.
(c) Balance between men and women.
(d) Fairness in dividing territory.
4. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
(a) As an inventory when he was governor.
(b) Upon his travels to Europe.
(c) For leisure.
(d) At a French Diplomat's request.
5. What else does Marx say about people who live pastoral lives?
(a) They are powerless.
(b) They are poor.
(c) They are rich.
(d) They are Indians and blacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marx say most American writers described industrial expansion?
2. What was the American response to steam power in Britain?
3. What defines complex pastoralism?
4. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
5. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)