|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jefferson ultimately conclude about industrialism?
(a) That it had to be developed.
(b) That it had to balance efficiencies with creating employment opportunities.
(c) That it had to be aligned with public virtues.
(d) That it had to be suppressed.
2. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
(a) Mosses from an Old Manse.
(b) The Celestial Railroad.
(c) Sleepy Hollow Notes.
(d) The Marble Faun.
3. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(c) Feelings of alienation.
4. How does Marx characterize man's hopes for nature?
(a) Scientific resource allocation.
(b) Consensus-based resource use.
(c) Pastoral idealism.
(d) Realistic planning.
5. What does Marx point out accompanied factories and progress in transportation?
(a) Worker abuses.
(b) Decreased infant mortality rates.
(c) Longer lifespans.
(d) Increased literacy.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
2. What criticism did Carlyle make of American industrialism?
3. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
4. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
5. What trait did American thinkers and writers see in evidence in America's industrial expansion?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)