|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
(a) People began to be able to visit the country from the city.
(b) The railroad blurred the boundary between city and country.
(c) Southern plantations were the first farms to perform agriculture on an industrial scale.
(d) People stopped living on farms in the late 1700s.
2. What defines complex pastoralism?
(a) Refusal to let sentimental pastoralism lapse.
(b) Redemption of the alienation that comes from industrial modernity.
(c) Acceptance of history.
(d) Industrial machinery fostering nature.
3. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
(a) The savages' harmony with nature.
(b) Harnessing natural resources.
(c) Domesticating wild things.
(d) Green, rural lifestyle.
4. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
(a) Paradise Regained.
(b) Paradise Lost.
(d) The Iliad.
5. What is the relationship between industrialism and pastoralism?
(b) Cause and effect.
(c) Mutual reinforcement.
(d) Mutual exclusivity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should man do in nature, in Thoreau's vision?
2. How did Americans see westward expansion, in Marx's account?
3. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
4. What skill did Twain idealize?
5. How do modern authors, Marx included, tend to feel about preserving nature in an industrial world?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)