|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
(a) Man's desire for progress.
(b) Chaotic forces of nature.
(c) The demonic element in factories.
2. What effect does fire have in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
(a) It spreads light into the wilderness.
(b) It brings religion to people.
(c) It destroys an everyman.
(d) It drives factories and great productivity.
3. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
(a) Colonization had subdued the natives and killed off predatory animals.
(b) Nature commanded new respect.
(c) Factories had subjugated nature.
(d) Engineers could shape nature more efficiently.
4. What structures does Marx use as examples of how modern man mistreats nature?
(a) Golf courses and cemeteries.
(b) Hospitals and nursing homes.
(c) Bridges and tunnels.
(d) Roads and parking lots.
5. What feature of modern society came into existence with American industrialism?
(b) Total warfare.
(c) Laissez-fair class structure.
(d) Strikes and riots.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
2. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
3. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
4. What symbolic statement does Marx say Twain made in the raft being destroyed in Huckleberry Finn?
5. How does Marx predict the trend toward urbanization and industrialization will be reversed?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)