|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Man had become a slave to his tools.
(b) Industry had generated enormous wealth.
(c) Machines had improved daily life for millions.
(d) Military developments had made technology deadlier than ever.
2. What did Emerson's philosophy ultimately propose?
(a) Reconciliation of industry and nature.
(b) Domestication of nature.
(c) Rejection of industry.
(d) Urbanization of nature.
3. What was unique about American manufacturing, in Coxe's view?
(a) Markets were waiting for American goods.
(b) It presented enormous economic opportunities.
(c) The raw materials were limitless.
(d) The environment would keep it healthy.
4. Which school of criticism does Marx belong to?
(a) Psychoanalytic criticism.
(b) New Criticism.
(d) New Historicism.
5. What is Marx's tone throughout 'The Machine in the Garden'?
(a) Scientific and analytical.
(b) Reverential and despairing by turns.
(c) Optimistic and casual.
(d) Analytical and pessimistic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. What does Marx point out was formed as a result of the Revolutionary War?
3. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
4. How were frontiersmen typically portrayed by easterners in Jefferson's time?
5. How does Marx characterize man's hopes for nature?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)