|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
(a) The portrait of an unspoiled landscape invaded by Europeans.
(b) The portrait of men who gain power by disposing of natural resources.
(c) The portrait of indecision about taking the throne.
(d) The portrait of love's frailty against political power.
2. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) By building cities.
(b) By conserving.
(c) By mining resources.
(d) By making green spaces.
3. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
(a) As experienced people hoping for redemption.
(b) As advance agents of civilization.
(c) As victims of political power.
(d) As spokesmen for conservation.
4. How did Melville describe whaling?
(a) As a spiritual calling.
(b) As an art.
(c) As an industrial enterprise.
(d) As a symbol of society.
5. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(a) Feelings of alienation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
2. What allowed America to preserve Jeffersonian ideals for 100 years after Jefferson wrote about them?
3. What did Emerson's philosophy ultimately propose?
4. What virtues did Jefferson associate with the civilization?
5. What else does Marx say about people who live pastoral lives?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)