|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue: The Garden of Ashes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What structures does Marx use as examples of how modern man mistreats nature?
(a) Golf courses and cemeteries.
(b) Hospitals and nursing homes.
(c) Bridges and tunnels.
(d) Roads and parking lots.
2. What was the American response to steam power in Britain?
(a) That it would become their great strength.
(b) That it would never come to America.
(c) That it would corrupt the youth with dreams of travel.
(d) That it would provide them cheap power.
3. How many Americans lived on farms by the end of the 19th century?
4. What criticism did Carlyle make of American industrialism?
(a) He lamented the death of wildlife.
(b) He complained about the decline of marriage in cities.
(c) He decried the disruption of nature.
(d) He protested the destruction of indigenous societies.
5. How does Marx characterize man's hopes for nature?
(a) Realistic planning.
(b) Scientific resource allocation.
(c) Pastoral idealism.
(d) Consensus-based resource use.
Short Answer Questions
1. What skill did Twain idealize?
2. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. How did Emerson describe the relationship between the east and the west?
4. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
5. How do modern authors, Marx included, tend to feel about preserving nature in an industrial world?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)