|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
(a) Suppression of religious expression.
(b) Dogmas and conflicts over religion.
(c) Vanities and conflicts over property.
(d) Plagues and uncertainty over medical treatment.
2. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
(a) By a blue jay.
(b) By a railroad whistle.
(c) By a merchant.
(d) By an Indian.
3. What is the relationship between industrialism and pastoralism?
(a) Mutual reinforcement.
(b) Cause and effect.
(c) Mutual exclusivity.
4. How does industrialism devalue man, in Carlyle's opinion?
(a) It requires long hours in dark factories.
(b) It uses only one part of him.
(c) It discourages invention.
(d) It treats him as a commodity.
5. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Relocation to the suburbs.
(b) Exploitation of resources.
(d) Rail trails.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Pequod symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
2. What did Emerson say that science and technology could serve?
3. How did nature continue to redeem individuals in pastoral ideology?
4. How did Thoreau describe modern man?
5. How did Jefferson describe the representative man in Notes on Virginia?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)