|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Marx say that machines could be welcomed into America?
(a) Because they would tame the vast frontier.
(b) Because the frontier would always be wild.
(c) Because there was such sharp competition.
(d) Because industrial capacity provided a survival edge.
2. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
(a) Reactionary philosophy.
(b) Industrial developments.
(c) Ignorance and apathy.
(d) Peace movements.
3. How does industrialism devalue man, in Carlyle's opinion?
(a) It treats him as a commodity.
(b) It requires long hours in dark factories.
(c) It discourages invention.
(d) It uses only one part of him.
4. What does Marx say Thoreau wanted people to do in nature?
5. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
(a) Fire, smoke and speed.
(b) Steam, progress, and control over the ocean.
(c) Power, productivity, and order.
(d) Efficiency, control, and profit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Pequod symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
2. What part of man remained free of industrialism, in Carlyle's view?
3. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
4. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
5. What is the relationship between industrialism and pastoralism?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)