|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
2. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Miranda and Caliban.
(b) Gonzalo and Ferdinand.
(c) Ferdinand and Miranda.
(d) Gonzalo and Prospero.
3. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
(a) Fire, smoke and speed.
(b) Steam, progress, and control over the ocean.
(c) Efficiency, control, and profit.
(d) Power, productivity, and order.
4. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
5. What did Coxe contrast manufacturing with?
(b) The trades.
(c) Cottage industry.
Short Answer Questions
1. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
2. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
3. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
4. What trait did American thinkers and writers see in evidence in America's industrial expansion?
5. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)