|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
2. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
(a) Sleepy Hollow Notes.
(b) The Celestial Railroad.
(c) Mosses from an Old Manse.
(d) The Marble Faun.
3. How does industrialism devalue man, in Carlyle's opinion?
(a) It discourages invention.
(b) It uses only one part of him.
(c) It treats him as a commodity.
(d) It requires long hours in dark factories.
4. What did Jefferson ultimately conclude about industrialism?
(a) That it had to be developed.
(b) That it had to balance efficiencies with creating employment opportunities.
(c) That it had to be suppressed.
(d) That it had to be aligned with public virtues.
5. How did Emerson portray nature?
(a) As chaotic and disorganized.
(b) As the grand provider.
(c) As demonic.
(d) As a force to be overcome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ishmael's task, in Marx's description of Melville's vision in Moby Dick?
2. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
3. What desire does Marx describe as the opposite of Barlowe's view?
4. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
5. What did Emerson originally propose in his philosophy?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)