|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
(a) People began to be able to visit the country from the city.
(b) Southern plantations were the first farms to perform agriculture on an industrial scale.
(c) People stopped living on farms in the late 1700s.
(d) The railroad blurred the boundary between city and country.
2. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
(a) At colonization.
(b) During the French Revolution.
(c) At the Industrial Revolution.
(d) At the Revolution.
3. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Norris' The Octopus.
(b) James' Daisy Miller.
(c) Thoreau's Walden.
(d) Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.
4. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Man had become a slave to his tools.
(b) Military developments had made technology deadlier than ever.
(c) Machines had improved daily life for millions.
(d) Industry had generated enormous wealth.
5. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
(a) Hard work and sacrifice.
(b) Development and expansion.
(c) Generosity and sharing.
(d) Conservation and reservations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
2. What did Jefferson ultimately conclude about industrialism?
3. What is Huck Finn lamenting at the beginning of Huckleberry Finn?
4. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
5. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)