|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Ferdinand and Miranda.
(b) Miranda and Caliban.
(c) Gonzalo and Prospero.
(d) Gonzalo and Ferdinand.
2. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Indian wars.
(b) A whale hunt.
(c) A reverie in the woods.
(d) Living in the woods.
3. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
(a) The corruption of the Old World.
(b) The personalities who will be required to develop America.
(c) The impossibility of the pastoral ideal.
(d) The plan for Utopia in America.
4. How did Melville describe whaling?
(a) As an industrial enterprise.
(b) As a symbol of society.
(c) As a spiritual calling.
(d) As an art.
5. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
(a) No disparity between rich and poor.
(b) No work.
(c) No government.
(d) No need for language.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say Beverly felt about the New World, by the end of his history?
2. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
3. What feature of modern society came into existence with American industrialism?
4. What is Ishmael's task, in Marx's description of Melville's vision in Moby Dick?
5. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)