|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
(a) The portrait of an unspoiled landscape invaded by Europeans.
(b) The portrait of indecision about taking the throne.
(c) The portrait of love's frailty against political power.
(d) The portrait of men who gain power by disposing of natural resources.
2. What part of man remained free of industrialism, in Carlyle's view?
(a) None of him.
(b) His spirit.
(c) His mind.
(d) His eyes.
3. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
(a) Farm subsidies.
(b) Tariffs on imported manufactured goods.
(c) Regulation of speculative investments.
(d) Low taxes.
4. What would people live on, in Gonzalo's ideal world?
(a) Nature's bounty.
(b) Natives' produce.
(c) Imported grain.
(d) Money from exports.
5. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
(a) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
(b) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
(c) Beverly saw the natives learn to want drink and escapism as a result of contact with settlers.
(d) Beverly saw human nature become greedy when resources were cheap.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
3. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
4. What was Daniel Webster's feeling about pastoralism?
5. What does the Pequod symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)