|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
2. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) A reverie in the woods.
(b) Living in the woods.
(c) A whale hunt.
(d) Indian wars.
3. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
(a) Agriculture was going to supply the nation's wealth.
(b) Wilderness was going to redeem the nation's soul.
(c) Natural resources were going to be a source of wealth for generations.
(d) Virgin territory was going absorb all the overflowing east-coast cities.
4. What did Coxe contrast manufacturing with?
(a) The trades.
(d) Cottage industry.
5. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
(a) Industrial developments.
(b) Reactionary philosophy.
(c) Peace movements.
(d) Ignorance and apathy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was unique about American manufacturing, in Coxe's view?
2. What conclusion about technology does the narrator reach at the end of Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
3. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
4. What does Marx say Thoreau wanted people to do in nature?
5. What was Daniel Webster's take on industrialism?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)