|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Henry Adams envision as the consequence of technology?
(a) Disaffection, alienation, and disease.
(b) The human race committing suicide.
(c) The unification of humans and nature.
(d) The unification of knowledge in one science.
2. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
(a) The factory.
(b) The steam locomotive.
(c) The cotton gin.
(d) The steamship.
3. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
(a) Hard work and sacrifice.
(b) Development and expansion.
(c) Generosity and sharing.
(d) Conservation and reservations.
4. What is the consequence of knowing nature, according to Twain's work?
(a) Knowing the deep inter-connectedness of things.
(b) Feeling free of society.
(c) Knowing the wild spirit of nature.
(d) Losing familiarity with the whole.
5. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin.
(b) Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher.
(c) Twain's Huckleberry Finn.
(d) Morrison's Beloved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
2. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
3. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
4. What 'sealed the fate' of American industrialism, according to Marx?
5. How did Melville describe whaling?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)