|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin.
(b) Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher.
(c) Morrison's Beloved.
(d) Twain's Huckleberry Finn.
2. How does Marx say most American writers described industrial expansion?
(a) As a crime.
(b) As a torment.
(c) As a form of art.
(d) As a force of nature.
3. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
4. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
(a) The settlers' notes and journals.
(b) The King's records.
(c) The sea captains' log books.
(d) Nautical charts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbolic statement does Marx say Twain made in the raft being destroyed in Huckleberry Finn?
2. What 'sealed the fate' of American industrialism, according to Marx?
3. How did Melville describe whaling?
4. What would men of reason provide in Emerson's vision?
5. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)