|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Exploitation of resources.
(b) Rail trails.
(d) Relocation to the suburbs.
2. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
(a) Low taxes.
(b) Tariffs on imported manufactured goods.
(c) Regulation of speculative investments.
(d) Farm subsidies.
3. What conclusion about technology does the narrator reach at the end of Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
(a) Progress changes the course of human nature.
(b) Nature ultimately conquered industrial man.
(c) Society's benefits do not outweigh its costs.
(d) Primitive human psychology is inescapable.
4. What thinkers does Marx say followed Carlyle's critique of industrialism?
(a) Hegel and Marx.
(b) Lenin and Stalin.
(c) William James and John Dewey.
(d) Derrida and Foucault.
5. How did Americans see westward expansion, in Marx's account?
(a) As a form of progress.
(b) As a crime against Indians.
(c) As a destruction of the landscape.
(d) As a form of corruption.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say Beverly felt about the New World, by the end of his history?
2. When was man supposed to return to nature, in Thoreau's vision?
3. What was Daniel Webster's take on industrialism?
4. What skill did Twain idealize?
5. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)