|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
(a) He thought that the settlers and natives could work together.
(b) He saw a unique opportunity in the New World.
(c) He thought that the New World could improve the natives.
(d) He thought the New World would improve the settlers.
2. What did Emerson's philosophy ultimately propose?
(a) Urbanization of nature.
(b) Reconciliation of industry and nature.
(c) Rejection of industry.
(d) Domestication of nature.
3. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(b) Feelings of alienation.
4. What conclusion about technology does the narrator reach at the end of Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
(a) Society's benefits do not outweigh its costs.
(b) Progress changes the course of human nature.
(c) Nature ultimately conquered industrial man.
(d) Primitive human psychology is inescapable.
5. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
(a) The promise that nature can be civilized without being corrupted.
(b) The promise that the city can be redeemed by the country.
(c) The promise that the wilderness can be domesticated.
(d) The promise that a man can change his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
2. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
3. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
4. What did Henry Adams envision as the consequence of technology?
5. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)