|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
(a) Political intrigue.
(b) Storms and primitive land.
(c) Rocky soil and harsh laws.
(d) Sparse resources and unsafe territory.
2. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin.
(b) Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher.
(c) Twain's Huckleberry Finn.
(d) Morrison's Beloved.
3. What does Marx point out accompanied factories and progress in transportation?
(a) Longer lifespans.
(b) Worker abuses.
(c) Increased literacy.
(d) Decreased infant mortality rates.
4. What did Jefferson ultimately conclude about industrialism?
(a) That it had to be aligned with public virtues.
(b) That it had to balance efficiencies with creating employment opportunities.
(c) That it had to be developed.
(d) That it had to be suppressed.
5. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
Short Answer Questions
1. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
2. What virtues did Jefferson associate with the civilization?
3. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
4. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
5. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)