|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Americans lived on farms by the end of the 19th century?
2. What would men of reason provide in Emerson's vision?
(d) Political strife.
3. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Yosemite, CA.
(b) Norfolk, VA.
(c) Providence, RI.
(d) Concord, MA.
4. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
(b) A middle ground between city and country.
(c) Legitimacy as an American.
(d) A high ground in terms of religious experience.
5. What criticism did Carlyle make of American industrialism?
(a) He lamented the death of wildlife.
(b) He complained about the decline of marriage in cities.
(c) He decried the disruption of nature.
(d) He protested the destruction of indigenous societies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Daniel Webster's take on industrialism?
2. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
3. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
4. How did Americans see westward expansion, in Marx's account?
5. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)