|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Coxe contrast manufacturing with?
(c) Cottage industry.
(d) The trades.
2. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
3. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
(a) The personalities who will be required to develop America.
(b) The impossibility of the pastoral ideal.
(c) The plan for Utopia in America.
(d) The corruption of the Old World.
4. What did Emerson say that science and technology could serve?
(a) A destructive god.
(b) Powerless men.
(c) Corrupt men.
(d) A rural ideal.
5. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
(a) As the path to the future.
(b) As a harmless fantasy.
(c) As a hindrance to progress.
(d) As a requirement for a green society.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the general feeling about industrialism in America, as it expanded?
2. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
3. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
4. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
5. What feeling characterized the beginning of Mark Twain's writing career?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)