|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does industrialism devalue man, in Carlyle's opinion?
(a) It treats him as a commodity.
(b) It uses only one part of him.
(c) It discourages invention.
(d) It requires long hours in dark factories.
2. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
3. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
(a) For leisure.
(b) Upon his travels to Europe.
(c) At a French Diplomat's request.
(d) As an inventory when he was governor.
4. How did Melville describe whaling?
(a) As a spiritual calling.
(b) As a symbol of society.
(c) As an art.
(d) As an industrial enterprise.
5. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
(a) The steamship.
(b) The steam locomotive.
(c) The factory.
(d) The cotton gin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
2. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
4. How did Coxe's vision for industrialism intersect with pastoralism?
5. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)