|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(b) Feelings of alienation.
2. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
3. What does the Pequod symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
(a) Elemental nature.
(c) Spiritual degradation.
(d) Modern society.
4. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
(a) Lawlessness and restraint.
(b) Hardship and providence.
(c) Savagery and civilization.
(d) Wisdom and innocence.
5. How many Americans lived on farms by the end of the 19th century?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marx describe the pastoralism of the 19th century?
2. How did nature continue to redeem individuals in pastoral ideology?
3. Who was Tench Coxe?
4. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
5. What contradiction does Marx say is Melville's true theme in Moby Dick?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)