|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
2. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
(a) Natural spirituality.
(b) Indigenous people.
(c) American colonization.
(d) Political intrigue.
3. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
(a) As barbaric and cruel.
(b) As simple and virtuous.
(c) As naïve and untrustworthy.
(d) As evil and plotting.
4. What should man do in nature, in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Learn the ways of the animals.
(b) Contemplate eternal laws.
(c) Oppose industrialism.
(d) Study the ruthless ways of men.
5. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) By building cities.
(b) By mining resources.
(c) By conserving.
(d) By making green spaces.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did a uniquely American pastoral image emerge?
2. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
3. What was the American response to steam power in Britain?
4. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
5. What does Marx point out accompanied factories and progress in transportation?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)