|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
(a) The plan for Utopia in America.
(b) The impossibility of the pastoral ideal.
(c) The personalities who will be required to develop America.
(d) The corruption of the Old World.
2. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
(a) Comfort and exploration.
(b) Civilization and primitive life.
(c) Wilderness and domestication.
(d) Corruption and innocence.
3. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
(a) As a promised land.
(b) As a pestilential swamp.
(c) As a purgatory.
(d) As a desert.
4. What would men of reason provide in Emerson's vision?
(a) Political strife.
5. What did Emerson say that science and technology could serve?
(a) A destructive god.
(b) A rural ideal.
(c) Corrupt men.
(d) Powerless men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
2. What does Marx point out was formed as a result of the Revolutionary War?
3. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
4. What trait did American thinkers and writers see in evidence in America's industrial expansion?
5. What should man do in nature, in Thoreau's vision?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)