|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
(a) As a new nature.
(b) As a raw material.
(c) As an improved nature.
(d) As a domestic industry.
2. What is Huck Finn lamenting at the beginning of Huckleberry Finn?
(a) His loss of his father.
(b) His current civilized state.
(c) Jim's incarceration.
(d) Tom Sawyer's punishment.
3. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
(b) A high ground in terms of religious experience.
(c) Legitimacy as an American.
(d) A middle ground between city and country.
4. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Gonzalo and Ferdinand.
(b) Miranda and Caliban.
(c) Gonzalo and Prospero.
(d) Ferdinand and Miranda.
5. What was unique about American manufacturing, in Coxe's view?
(a) The raw materials were limitless.
(b) It presented enormous economic opportunities.
(c) Markets were waiting for American goods.
(d) The environment would keep it healthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbolic statement does Marx say Twain made in the raft being destroyed in Huckleberry Finn?
2. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
3. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
4. What effect does Marx say Emerson foresaw for industrialism?
5. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)