|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx say Thoreau wanted people to do in nature?
2. What was the general feeling about industrialism in America, as it expanded?
3. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
4. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
(a) Fairness in dividing territory.
(b) Justice in righting old wrongs.
(c) Balance between men and women.
(d) Balance between man and nature.
5. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The interruption of woodland peace.
(b) The desire to merge with nature.
(c) The imperative to transform nature.
(d) The futility of fighting nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
2. What skill did Twain idealize?
3. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
4. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
5. What was it that Jefferson described as a threat to the moral center of democracy?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)