|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feature of modern society came into existence with American industrialism?
(a) Laissez-fair class structure.
(b) Total warfare.
(c) Strikes and riots.
2. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
(a) Twentieth century.
(b) Eighteenth century.
(c) With colonization.
(d) Nineteenth century.
3. What does the Pequod symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
(a) Elemental nature.
(b) Modern society.
(d) Spiritual degradation.
4. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
(a) Nature seemed chaotic and devilish compared with civilization.
(b) Nature had become a mirror for man's corrupt soul.
(c) Nature seemed benevolent compared with the disordered city.
(d) Nature seemed divine and benevolent compared with corrupt man.
5. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
Short Answer Questions
1. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
2. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
3. How does Marx describe the pastoralism of the 19th century?
4. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
5. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)