|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Coxe contrast manufacturing with?
(a) Cottage industry.
(d) The trades.
2. What would men of understanding provide in Emerson's vision?
3. How does Marx say most American writers described industrial expansion?
(a) As a form of art.
(b) As a force of nature.
(c) As a crime.
(d) As a torment.
4. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(c) Feelings of alienation.
5. How did Emerson describe the relationship between the east and the west?
(a) The east was bringing civilization to the wild west.
(b) The east's industry was destroying everything as it moved west.
(c) The east was producing literature, the west was producing science.
(d) The east's factories were a given, but they were balanced by the agrarian west.
Short Answer Questions
1. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
2. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
3. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
4. What did Coxe foresee for America?
5. What does Marx point out accompanied factories and progress in transportation?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)