|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does fire have in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
(a) It drives factories and great productivity.
(b) It spreads light into the wilderness.
(c) It brings religion to people.
(d) It destroys an everyman.
2. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
(a) Paradise Lost.
(b) Paradise Regained.
(d) The Iliad.
3. What was it that Jefferson described as a threat to the moral center of democracy?
(c) European military power.
(d) Native Americans.
4. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
(a) The Marble Faun.
(b) Mosses from an Old Manse.
(c) The Celestial Railroad.
(d) Sleepy Hollow Notes.
5. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
(a) American colonization.
(b) Natural spirituality.
(c) Political intrigue.
(d) Indigenous people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between industrialism and pastoralism?
2. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
3. What effect did Carlyle say industrialism would have?
4. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
5. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)