|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
(a) As a harsh land.
(b) As a land of plenty.
(c) As a refuge from Europe.
(d) As a tropical paradise.
2. Who was Tench Coxe?
(a) A New York financier.
(b) A Boston statesman.
(c) A Philadelphia inventor and statesman.
(d) A Philadelphia merchant.
3. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.
(b) James' Daisy Miller.
(c) Thoreau's Walden.
(d) Norris' The Octopus.
4. What trait did American thinkers and writers see in evidence in America's industrial expansion?
5. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
(a) Tariffs on imported manufactured goods.
(b) Farm subsidies.
(c) Low taxes.
(d) Regulation of speculative investments.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
2. What feature of modern society came into existence with American industrialism?
3. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
4. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
5. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)