|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
2. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to nature.
(b) Life in nature.
(c) Return to the city.
(d) Life in the city.
3. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
(a) A middle ground between city and country.
(b) Legitimacy as an American.
(c) A high ground in terms of religious experience.
4. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
5. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
(a) The steamship.
(b) The factory.
(c) The steam locomotive.
(d) The cotton gin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
2. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
3. What criticism did Carlyle make of American industrialism?
4. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
5. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)