|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
2. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
(a) The corruption of the Old World.
(b) The plan for Utopia in America.
(c) The personalities who will be required to develop America.
(d) The impossibility of the pastoral ideal.
3. What did Coxe foresee for America?
(a) The civic uses of industrialism.
(b) How industrialism would give America strength internationally.
(c) The value of industrialism.
(d) The danger of industrialism.
4. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
(a) As a desert.
(b) As a pestilential swamp.
(c) As a purgatory.
(d) As a promised land.
5. How does Marx say most American writers described industrial expansion?
(a) As a crime.
(b) As a torment.
(c) As a form of art.
(d) As a force of nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
2. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
3. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
4. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
5. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)