|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
(a) Conservation and reservations.
(b) Generosity and sharing.
(c) Hard work and sacrifice.
(d) Development and expansion.
2. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
(a) As the path to the future.
(b) As a requirement for a green society.
(c) As a hindrance to progress.
(d) As a harmless fantasy.
3. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The interruption of woodland peace.
(b) The desire to merge with nature.
(c) The imperative to transform nature.
(d) The futility of fighting nature.
4. Why does Marx say that machines could be welcomed into America?
(a) Because they would tame the vast frontier.
(b) Because industrial capacity provided a survival edge.
(c) Because the frontier would always be wild.
(d) Because there was such sharp competition.
5. What was Daniel Webster's take on industrialism?
(a) He used it to his profit.
(b) He embraced the new power.
(c) He loathed the railroad.
(d) He lamented the changing structure of society.
Short Answer Questions
1. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
2. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
3. What would people live on, in Gonzalo's ideal world?
4. What effect does Marx say Emerson foresaw for industrialism?
5. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)