|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Marx say that machines could be welcomed into America?
(a) Because there was such sharp competition.
(b) Because they would tame the vast frontier.
(c) Because industrial capacity provided a survival edge.
(d) Because the frontier would always be wild.
2. What does Marx say Beverly felt about the New World, by the end of his history?
(c) Cautiously optimistic.
3. What did Jefferson ultimately conclude about industrialism?
(a) That it had to be developed.
(b) That it had to be suppressed.
(c) That it had to balance efficiencies with creating employment opportunities.
(d) That it had to be aligned with public virtues.
4. How did Jefferson describe the representative man in Notes on Virginia?
(a) A virtuous man of nature.
(b) An industrious, independent farmer.
(c) An inventive entrepreneur.
(d) A powerful industrialist.
5. What did Coxe contrast manufacturing with?
(b) The trades.
(c) Cottage industry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
2. What criticism did Carlyle make of American industrialism?
3. What was unique about American manufacturing, in Coxe's view?
4. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
5. What feature of modern society came into existence with American industrialism?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)