|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Marx credit with predicting all the evils of industrialism?
(a) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(b) Daniel Webster.
(c) John Orvis.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
2. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
3. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
(a) The end of slavery.
(c) Public transit.
(d) Enclosure laws.
4. What was it that Jefferson described as a threat to the moral center of democracy?
(b) Native Americans.
(c) European military power.
5. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
(a) Trompe l'oeil paintings.
(b) Homeric versa.
(c) Landscape painting.
(d) Terza rima.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trait did American thinkers and writers see in evidence in America's industrial expansion?
2. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
3. What dangers were writers warning about as America urbanized?
4. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
5. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)