|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx point out was formed as a result of the Revolutionary War?
(a) Filthy cities.
(b) Opposition to expansion.
(c) An industrial capacity.
(d) Corrupt government.
2. What would manufacturing do for America, in Coxe's estimation?
(a) Drive western expansion.
(b) Generate wealth.
(c) Unify the electorate.
(d) Ensure independence.
3. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
(a) The promise that the wilderness can be domesticated.
(b) The promise that a man can change his life.
(c) The promise that the city can be redeemed by the country.
(d) The promise that nature can be civilized without being corrupted.
4. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
(a) More complex.
(d) More elegant.
5. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
(a) As experienced people hoping for redemption.
(b) As spokesmen for conservation.
(c) As victims of political power.
(d) As advance agents of civilization.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
2. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. What kinds of machines especially did Americans welcome at the end of the 18th century?
4. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. How did nature continue to redeem individuals in pastoral ideology?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)