|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
2. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
(a) Homeric versa.
(b) Trompe l'oeil paintings.
(c) Terza rima.
(d) Landscape painting.
3. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) A reverie in the woods.
(b) Indian wars.
(c) A whale hunt.
(d) Living in the woods.
4. How did Jefferson describe the representative man in Notes on Virginia?
(a) A virtuous man of nature.
(b) An inventive entrepreneur.
(c) An industrious, independent farmer.
(d) A powerful industrialist.
5. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
(a) As a desert.
(b) As a promised land.
(c) As a pestilential swamp.
(d) As a purgatory.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marx say most American writers described industrial expansion?
2. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
3. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
4. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
5. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)