|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
(a) At the Industrial Revolution.
(b) At colonization.
(c) During the French Revolution.
(d) At the Revolution.
2. What was the American response to steam power in Britain?
(a) That it would never come to America.
(b) That it would corrupt the youth with dreams of travel.
(c) That it would become their great strength.
(d) That it would provide them cheap power.
3. What conflict does Marx say was avoided as America expanded?
(a) Warfare between financiers and farmers.
(b) Warfare between North and South.
(c) Warfare between industrial and agrarian interests.
(d) Class warfare.
4. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
(a) As a purgatory.
(b) As a desert.
(c) As a promised land.
(d) As a pestilential swamp.
5. What thinkers does Marx say followed Carlyle's critique of industrialism?
(a) William James and John Dewey.
(b) Lenin and Stalin.
(c) Derrida and Foucault.
(d) Hegel and Marx.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
2. What virtues did Jefferson associate with the civilization?
3. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
4. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
5. What kinds of machines especially did Americans welcome at the end of the 18th century?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)