|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
2. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
3. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
(a) As unnatural.
(b) As inevitable.
(c) As natural.
(d) As preventable.
4. How does Marx say most American writers described industrial expansion?
(a) As a torment.
(b) As a crime.
(c) As a form of art.
(d) As a force of nature.
5. What was the American response to steam power in Britain?
(a) That it would provide them cheap power.
(b) That it would become their great strength.
(c) That it would corrupt the youth with dreams of travel.
(d) That it would never come to America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
2. What conflict does Marx say was avoided as America expanded?
3. What 'sealed the fate' of American industrialism, according to Marx?
4. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
5. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)