|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
(a) As a pestilential swamp.
(b) As a purgatory.
(c) As a desert.
(d) As a promised land.
2. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
3. What did Daniel Webster believe the railroad would do for America?
(a) Destroy the traditions.
(b) Unify the people.
(c) Terrify the livestock.
(d) Corrupt the youth.
4. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
(a) Reactionary philosophy.
(b) Industrial developments.
(c) Peace movements.
(d) Ignorance and apathy.
5. What was the general feeling about industrialism in America, as it expanded?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Americans see westward expansion, in Marx's account?
2. What did Coxe contrast manufacturing with?
3. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
4. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
5. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
This section contains 193 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)