|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What 'sealed the fate' of American industrialism, according to Marx?
(a) Machine tools.
(b) The cotton gin.
(c) Standardized parts.
(d) The railroad.
2. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
(a) Whites wanted peace with the natives, but took their land to start wars.
(b) Settlers wanted a paradise, but replicated their towns and government.
(c) Natives wanted progress, but then they hated themselves.
(d) Settlers brought progress, but the natives didn't want it.
3. How does Marx say most American writers described industrial expansion?
(a) As a torment.
(b) As a force of nature.
(c) As a form of art.
(d) As a crime.
4. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
5. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Twain's Huckleberry Finn.
(b) Morrison's Beloved.
(c) Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher.
(d) Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What virtues did Jefferson associate with the civilization?
2. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
3. How many Americans lived on farms by the end of the 19th century?
4. What was Daniel Webster's take on industrialism?
5. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)