|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What 'sealed the fate' of American industrialism, according to Marx?
(a) Machine tools.
(b) The cotton gin.
(c) The railroad.
(d) Standardized parts.
2. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
(a) As naïve and untrustworthy.
(b) As barbaric and cruel.
(c) As evil and plotting.
(d) As simple and virtuous.
3. Whom does Marx credit with predicting all the evils of industrialism?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) John Orvis.
(c) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(d) Daniel Webster.
4. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to the city.
(b) Life in nature.
(c) Return to nature.
(d) Life in the city.
5. What is the most important part of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest', in Marx's estimation?
(a) A conflict over territory.
(b) A political power struggle.
(c) A conflict over how to use resources.
(d) An engagement and marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the American response to steam power in Britain?
2. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
3. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
4. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
5. What would people live on, in Gonzalo's ideal world?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)