|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
(a) Development and expansion.
(b) Conservation and reservations.
(c) Generosity and sharing.
(d) Hard work and sacrifice.
2. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
(a) Dogmas and conflicts over religion.
(b) Vanities and conflicts over property.
(c) Plagues and uncertainty over medical treatment.
(d) Suppression of religious expression.
3. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
(a) Efficiency, control, and profit.
(b) Steam, progress, and control over the ocean.
(c) Power, productivity, and order.
(d) Fire, smoke and speed.
4. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
(b) A middle ground between city and country.
(c) Legitimacy as an American.
(d) A high ground in terms of religious experience.
5. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
(a) Paradise Lost.
(b) Paradise Regained.
(c) The Iliad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
3. What 'sealed the fate' of American industrialism, according to Marx?
4. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
5. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)