|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
(a) Nature seemed chaotic and devilish compared with civilization.
(b) Nature seemed divine and benevolent compared with corrupt man.
(c) Nature seemed benevolent compared with the disordered city.
(d) Nature had become a mirror for man's corrupt soul.
2. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
(a) Industrial developments.
(b) Reactionary philosophy.
(c) Peace movements.
(d) Ignorance and apathy.
3. What effect does Marx say Emerson foresaw for industrialism?
(a) Detachment of the worker from his work.
(b) Control of the worker in his working environment.
(c) Fulfillment of the worker in his work.
(d) Devaluation of the worker in the market.
4. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
(a) At colonization.
(b) During the French Revolution.
(c) At the Industrial Revolution.
(d) At the Revolution.
5. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
Short Answer Questions
1. What conflict does Marx say was avoided as America expanded?
2. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
3. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
4. What allowed America to preserve Jeffersonian ideals for 100 years after Jefferson wrote about them?
5. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)