|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
2. What thinkers does Marx say followed Carlyle's critique of industrialism?
(a) Hegel and Marx.
(b) Derrida and Foucault.
(c) Lenin and Stalin.
(d) William James and John Dewey.
3. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) James' Daisy Miller.
(b) Norris' The Octopus.
(c) Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.
(d) Thoreau's Walden.
4. What did Coxe contrast manufacturing with?
(a) Cottage industry.
(b) The trades.
5. Who was Tench Coxe?
(a) A Boston statesman.
(b) A Philadelphia merchant.
(c) A Philadelphia inventor and statesman.
(d) A New York financier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
2. What part of man remained free of industrialism, in Carlyle's view?
3. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
4. What would people live on, in Gonzalo's ideal world?
5. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)