|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
(a) As unnatural.
(b) As natural.
(c) As inevitable.
(d) As preventable.
2. What desire does Marx describe as the opposite of Barlowe's view?
(a) The desire to convert the savages.
(b) The desire to know the earth mystically.
(c) The desire to make the earth productive.
(d) The desire to tame the landscape.
3. What was Daniel Webster's feeling about pastoralism?
(a) He thought it would corrupt America's soul.
(b) He thought it could co-exist with technology.
(c) He thought it would heal industrialism.
(d) He set out national parks to preserve pastoral spaces.
4. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
(a) As a promised land.
(b) As a pestilential swamp.
(c) As a desert.
(d) As a purgatory.
5. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
(a) The Iliad.
(b) Paradise Lost.
(c) Paradise Regained.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
2. How were frontiersmen typically portrayed by easterners in Jefferson's time?
3. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
4. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
5. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)