|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
2. Who was Tench Coxe?
(a) A Philadelphia merchant.
(b) A Boston statesman.
(c) A Philadelphia inventor and statesman.
(d) A New York financier.
3. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
(a) The struggle for poetic expression.
(b) The struggle for domination over nature.
(c) The conflict over resource use.
(d) The conflict over resource use.
4. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
(a) Steam, progress, and control over the ocean.
(b) Fire, smoke and speed.
(c) Efficiency, control, and profit.
(d) Power, productivity, and order.
5. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Gonzalo and Prospero.
(b) Gonzalo and Ferdinand.
(c) Miranda and Caliban.
(d) Ferdinand and Miranda.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
2. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
3. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
4. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
5. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)