|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(a) Withdrawal from modernization.
(d) Urban planning for green spaces.
2. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
(a) Nature commanded new respect.
(b) Colonization had subdued the natives and killed off predatory animals.
(c) Factories had subjugated nature.
(d) Engineers could shape nature more efficiently.
3. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
(a) Accounts of African tribes.
(b) Accounts of travel to the New World.
(c) Accounts of travel to India.
(d) Accounts of travel to the Pacific islands.
4. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to nature.
(b) Life in religion.
(c) Life in the city.
(d) Life in nature.
5. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Gonzalo and Ferdinand.
(b) Miranda and Caliban.
(c) Gonzalo and Prospero.
(d) Ferdinand and Miranda.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
2. What virtues did Jefferson associate with the civilization?
3. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
4. What feature of modern society came into existence with American industrialism?
5. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)