|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Americans see westward expansion, in Marx's account?
(a) As a form of corruption.
(b) As a crime against Indians.
(c) As a form of progress.
(d) As a destruction of the landscape.
2. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
(a) As simple and virtuous.
(b) As naïve and untrustworthy.
(c) As evil and plotting.
(d) As barbaric and cruel.
3. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
(a) More complex.
(c) More elegant.
4. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
(a) As victims of political power.
(b) As spokesmen for conservation.
(c) As experienced people hoping for redemption.
(d) As advance agents of civilization.
5. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
(a) The Iliad.
(b) Paradise Regained.
(d) Paradise Lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Coxe's vision for industrialism intersect with pastoralism?
2. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. What did Daniel Webster believe the railroad would do for America?
4. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
5. What was the American response to steam power in Britain?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)