|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(d) Urban planners.
2. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(b) Rail trails.
(c) Exploitation of resources.
(d) Relocation to the suburbs.
3. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
(a) By a railroad whistle.
(b) By a merchant.
(c) By a blue jay.
(d) By an Indian.
4. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
5. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
2. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
3. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
4. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
5. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)