|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
(a) More elegant.
(d) More complex.
2. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
4. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
(a) Farm subsidies.
(b) Low taxes.
(c) Tariffs on imported manufactured goods.
(d) Regulation of speculative investments.
5. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
(a) As natural.
(b) As preventable.
(c) As inevitable.
(d) As unnatural.
Short Answer Questions
1. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
2. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
3. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
4. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
5. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)