|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Small towns.
(b) Urban areas.
(c) Outdated buildings.
(d) Urban parks.
2. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
(a) Steam, progress, and control over the ocean.
(b) Efficiency, control, and profit.
(c) Power, productivity, and order.
(d) Fire, smoke and speed.
3. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
(a) Sleepy Hollow Notes.
(b) The Marble Faun.
(c) Mosses from an Old Manse.
(d) The Celestial Railroad.
4. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
5. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
(a) To live out a primitive existence.
(b) To turn nature into an industrial resource.
(c) To live in the lap of nature.
(d) To transform nature into an ordered place.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
2. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
3. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
4. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
5. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)