|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(c) Urban planners.
2. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
(a) Extractive industries.
(b) Industrial modernism.
(d) The reality of history.
3. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Urban areas.
(b) Urban parks.
(c) Small towns.
(d) Outdated buildings.
4. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Providence, RI.
(b) Concord, MA.
(c) Norfolk, VA.
(d) Yosemite, CA.
5. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Indian wars.
(b) A reverie in the woods.
(c) Living in the woods.
(d) A whale hunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
2. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
3. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
4. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)