|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
(a) Domesticating wild things.
(b) The savages' harmony with nature.
(c) Harnessing natural resources.
(d) Green, rural lifestyle.
2. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
(a) As a harmless fantasy.
(b) As a requirement for a green society.
(c) As the path to the future.
(d) As a hindrance to progress.
3. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(c) Withdrawal from modernization.
(d) Urban planning for green spaces.
4. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are no longer exclusive.
(b) They are both reinvented by machines.
(c) They are no longer interdependent.
(d) They are both monetized.
5. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
(a) The factory.
(b) The steamship.
(c) The cotton gin.
(d) The steam locomotive.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
2. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
3. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
4. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
5. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)