|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
2. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(a) Urban planning for green spaces.
(d) Withdrawal from modernization.
3. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) By building cities.
(b) By conserving.
(c) By mining resources.
(d) By making green spaces.
4. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Exploitation of resources.
(c) Rail trails.
(d) Relocation to the suburbs.
5. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Concord, MA.
(b) Yosemite, CA.
(c) Providence, RI.
(d) Norfolk, VA.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
2. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
3. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
4. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)