|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
(a) As unnatural.
(b) As preventable.
(c) As natural.
(d) As inevitable.
2. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
(a) The railroad blurred the boundary between city and country.
(b) Southern plantations were the first farms to perform agriculture on an industrial scale.
(c) People began to be able to visit the country from the city.
(d) People stopped living on farms in the late 1700s.
3. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
(a) Nineteenth century.
(b) With colonization.
(c) Eighteenth century.
(d) Twentieth century.
4. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
5. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Urban planners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
2. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
3. What did colonists find in America?
4. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
5. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)