|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
(a) Domesticating wild things.
(b) Green, rural lifestyle.
(c) Harnessing natural resources.
(d) The savages' harmony with nature.
2. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) By mining resources.
(b) By making green spaces.
(c) By conserving.
(d) By building cities.
3. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
(a) As preventable.
(b) As unnatural.
(c) As natural.
(d) As inevitable.
4. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
(a) Nineteenth century.
(b) Eighteenth century.
(c) With colonization.
(d) Twentieth century.
5. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The desire to merge with nature.
(b) The interruption of woodland peace.
(c) The imperative to transform nature.
(d) The futility of fighting nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
2. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
3. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
4. What did colonists find in America?
5. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)