|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
2. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
(a) To turn nature into an industrial resource.
(b) To live out a primitive existence.
(c) To live in the lap of nature.
(d) To transform nature into an ordered place.
3. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(c) Withdrawal from modernization.
(d) Urban planning for green spaces.
4. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
(b) More complex.
(d) More elegant.
5. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
(a) The cotton gin.
(b) The steamship.
(c) The factory.
(d) The steam locomotive.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
2. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
3. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
4. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
5. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)