|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
(a) To turn nature into an industrial resource.
(b) To live out a primitive existence.
(c) To transform nature into an ordered place.
(d) To live in the lap of nature.
2. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The futility of fighting nature.
(b) The interruption of woodland peace.
(c) The imperative to transform nature.
(d) The desire to merge with nature.
3. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
(a) As the path to the future.
(b) As a requirement for a green society.
(c) As a harmless fantasy.
(d) As a hindrance to progress.
4. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
(a) Industrial developments.
(b) Peace movements.
(c) Ignorance and apathy.
(d) Reactionary philosophy.
5. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
2. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
3. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
4. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
5. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)