|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Providence, RI.
(b) Norfolk, VA.
(c) Concord, MA.
(d) Yosemite, CA.
2. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
(a) As a harmless fantasy.
(b) As a hindrance to progress.
(c) As a requirement for a green society.
(d) As the path to the future.
3. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) By conserving.
(b) By mining resources.
(c) By building cities.
(d) By making green spaces.
4. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
(a) More elegant.
(d) More complex.
5. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
(a) Tariffs on imported manufactured goods.
(b) Regulation of speculative investments.
(c) Farm subsidies.
(d) Low taxes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
2. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
3. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
4. What did colonists find in America?
5. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)