|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(a) Urban planning for green spaces.
(d) Withdrawal from modernization.
2. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
(a) The savages' harmony with nature.
(b) Domesticating wild things.
(c) Green, rural lifestyle.
(d) Harnessing natural resources.
3. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Urban areas.
(b) Urban parks.
(c) Small towns.
(d) Outdated buildings.
4. What did colonists find in America?
(a) Virgin land.
(b) A desert they could transform into a garden.
(c) Infrastructure they could usurp from the natives.
(d) Civilized people they could convert to Christianity.
5. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
(a) At colonization.
(b) At the Revolution.
(c) During the French Revolution.
(d) At the Industrial Revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
2. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
3. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
4. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
5. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)