|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
2. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
(a) The steam locomotive.
(b) The steamship.
(c) The factory.
(d) The cotton gin.
3. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
(a) Twentieth century.
(b) Nineteenth century.
(c) With colonization.
(d) Eighteenth century.
4. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(b) Feelings of alienation.
5. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
(a) Reactionary philosophy.
(b) Peace movements.
(c) Ignorance and apathy.
(d) Industrial developments.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
2. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
4. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)