|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
(a) Domesticating wild things.
(b) Harnessing natural resources.
(c) Green, rural lifestyle.
(d) The savages' harmony with nature.
2. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
3. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are no longer exclusive.
(b) They are both monetized.
(c) They are no longer interdependent.
(d) They are both reinvented by machines.
4. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The imperative to transform nature.
(b) The desire to merge with nature.
(c) The interruption of woodland peace.
(d) The futility of fighting nature.
5. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
(a) As a requirement for a green society.
(b) As the path to the future.
(c) As a hindrance to progress.
(d) As a harmless fantasy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
2. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
3. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
4. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)