|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
2. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
3. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
(a) Fire, smoke and speed.
(b) Efficiency, control, and profit.
(c) Steam, progress, and control over the ocean.
(d) Power, productivity, and order.
4. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
(a) Southern plantations were the first farms to perform agriculture on an industrial scale.
(b) The railroad blurred the boundary between city and country.
(c) People began to be able to visit the country from the city.
(d) People stopped living on farms in the late 1700s.
5. What did colonists find in America?
(a) Civilized people they could convert to Christianity.
(b) A desert they could transform into a garden.
(c) Infrastructure they could usurp from the natives.
(d) Virgin land.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
2. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
3. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
4. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
5. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)