|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Urban planners.
2. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
(a) Southern plantations were the first farms to perform agriculture on an industrial scale.
(b) The railroad blurred the boundary between city and country.
(c) People began to be able to visit the country from the city.
(d) People stopped living on farms in the late 1700s.
3. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
(a) The Marble Faun.
(b) Sleepy Hollow Notes.
(c) The Celestial Railroad.
(d) Mosses from an Old Manse.
4. What did colonists find in America?
(a) A desert they could transform into a garden.
(b) Virgin land.
(c) Infrastructure they could usurp from the natives.
(d) Civilized people they could convert to Christianity.
5. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
2. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
4. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
5. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)