|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
(a) At colonization.
(b) During the French Revolution.
(c) At the Revolution.
(d) At the Industrial Revolution.
2. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(b) Urban planners.
3. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
(a) To live out a primitive existence.
(b) To live in the lap of nature.
(c) To turn nature into an industrial resource.
(d) To transform nature into an ordered place.
4. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are both monetized.
(b) They are no longer interdependent.
(c) They are both reinvented by machines.
(d) They are no longer exclusive.
5. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
2. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
3. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
4. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
5. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)