|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
(a) People began to be able to visit the country from the city.
(b) The railroad blurred the boundary between city and country.
(c) People stopped living on farms in the late 1700s.
(d) Southern plantations were the first farms to perform agriculture on an industrial scale.
2. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
(a) Sleepy Hollow Notes.
(b) Mosses from an Old Manse.
(c) The Celestial Railroad.
(d) The Marble Faun.
3. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are both monetized.
(b) They are no longer interdependent.
(c) They are both reinvented by machines.
(d) They are no longer exclusive.
4. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
5. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Rail trails.
(b) Exploitation of resources.
(d) Relocation to the suburbs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
2. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
3. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
4. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)