|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Urban planners.
2. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
(a) Peace movements.
(b) Ignorance and apathy.
(c) Reactionary philosophy.
(d) Industrial developments.
3. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
(a) As a hindrance to progress.
(b) As a harmless fantasy.
(c) As a requirement for a green society.
(d) As the path to the future.
4. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
(a) People began to be able to visit the country from the city.
(b) Southern plantations were the first farms to perform agriculture on an industrial scale.
(c) People stopped living on farms in the late 1700s.
(d) The railroad blurred the boundary between city and country.
5. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The desire to merge with nature.
(b) The interruption of woodland peace.
(c) The futility of fighting nature.
(d) The imperative to transform nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
2. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
3. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
4. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
5. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)