|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
(a) The factory.
(b) The steamship.
(c) The steam locomotive.
(d) The cotton gin.
2. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
(a) Peace movements.
(b) Ignorance and apathy.
(c) Industrial developments.
(d) Reactionary philosophy.
3. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
(a) Southern plantations were the first farms to perform agriculture on an industrial scale.
(b) People began to be able to visit the country from the city.
(c) People stopped living on farms in the late 1700s.
(d) The railroad blurred the boundary between city and country.
4. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
(a) Low taxes.
(b) Regulation of speculative investments.
(c) Tariffs on imported manufactured goods.
(d) Farm subsidies.
5. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
(a) During the French Revolution.
(b) At colonization.
(c) At the Industrial Revolution.
(d) At the Revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
2. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
3. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
4. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
5. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)