|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
2. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
(a) More complex.
(d) More elegant.
3. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Norfolk, VA.
(b) Yosemite, CA.
(c) Concord, MA.
(d) Providence, RI.
4. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
(a) By an Indian.
(b) By a merchant.
(c) By a blue jay.
(d) By a railroad whistle.
5. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Relocation to the suburbs.
(b) Exploitation of resources.
(c) Rail trails.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
2. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
3. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
4. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
5. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)