|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
2. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are no longer exclusive.
(b) They are no longer interdependent.
(c) They are both monetized.
(d) They are both reinvented by machines.
3. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Indian wars.
(b) A whale hunt.
(c) A reverie in the woods.
(d) Living in the woods.
4. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
5. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
(a) Eighteenth century.
(b) With colonization.
(c) Twentieth century.
(d) Nineteenth century.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
2. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
3. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
4. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
5. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)