|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(c) Feelings of alienation.
2. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
(a) Domesticating wild things.
(b) Harnessing natural resources.
(c) Green, rural lifestyle.
(d) The savages' harmony with nature.
3. What did colonists find in America?
(a) Virgin land.
(b) Civilized people they could convert to Christianity.
(c) Infrastructure they could usurp from the natives.
(d) A desert they could transform into a garden.
4. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
(a) The steamship.
(b) The steam locomotive.
(c) The factory.
(d) The cotton gin.
5. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
(a) The railroad blurred the boundary between city and country.
(b) Southern plantations were the first farms to perform agriculture on an industrial scale.
(c) People began to be able to visit the country from the city.
(d) People stopped living on farms in the late 1700s.
Short Answer Questions
1. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
2. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
3. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
4. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
5. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)