|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Sleepy Hollow, 1844.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
(a) Farm subsidies.
(b) Regulation of speculative investments.
(c) Low taxes.
(d) Tariffs on imported manufactured goods.
2. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
(a) More complex.
(d) More elegant.
4. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(b) Feelings of alienation.
5. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
(a) To live in the lap of nature.
(b) To turn nature into an industrial resource.
(c) To transform nature into an ordered place.
(d) To live out a primitive existence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
2. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
3. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
4. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
5. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)