|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Life in nature.
(b) Return to nature.
(c) Life in the city.
(d) Life in religion.
2. What was the American response to steam power in Britain?
(a) That it would never come to America.
(b) That it would provide them cheap power.
(c) That it would corrupt the youth with dreams of travel.
(d) That it would become their great strength.
3. What was unique about American manufacturing, in Coxe's view?
(a) The raw materials were limitless.
(b) It presented enormous economic opportunities.
(c) The environment would keep it healthy.
(d) Markets were waiting for American goods.
4. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
(a) The railroad blurred the boundary between city and country.
(b) Southern plantations were the first farms to perform agriculture on an industrial scale.
(c) People stopped living on farms in the late 1700s.
(d) People began to be able to visit the country from the city.
5. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
(a) With colonization.
(b) Eighteenth century.
(c) Nineteenth century.
(d) Twentieth century.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
3. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
4. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
5. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)