|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
(a) As simple and virtuous.
(b) As barbaric and cruel.
(c) As evil and plotting.
(d) As naïve and untrustworthy.
2. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
3. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
(a) As natural.
(b) As inevitable.
(c) As preventable.
(d) As unnatural.
4. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
(a) The struggle for poetic expression.
(b) The struggle for domination over nature.
(c) The conflict over resource use.
(d) The conflict over resource use.
5. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(d) Urban planners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
2. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
3. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
4. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
5. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)