|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
2. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Norris' The Octopus.
(b) Thoreau's Walden.
(c) Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.
(d) James' Daisy Miller.
3. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
(a) Paradise Lost.
(b) The Iliad.
(c) Paradise Regained.
4. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) A reverie in the woods.
(b) Living in the woods.
(c) Indian wars.
(d) A whale hunt.
5. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
(a) As spokesmen for conservation.
(b) As advance agents of civilization.
(c) As experienced people hoping for redemption.
(d) As victims of political power.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
3. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
4. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
5. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)