|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
(a) People stopped living on farms in the late 1700s.
(b) People began to be able to visit the country from the city.
(c) The railroad blurred the boundary between city and country.
(d) Southern plantations were the first farms to perform agriculture on an industrial scale.
2. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
3. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are no longer interdependent.
(b) They are both reinvented by machines.
(c) They are both monetized.
(d) They are no longer exclusive.
4. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Providence, RI.
(b) Norfolk, VA.
(c) Concord, MA.
(d) Yosemite, CA.
5. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
2. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
3. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
4. What would people live on, in Gonzalo's ideal world?
5. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)