|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
2. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
(a) Rocky soil and harsh laws.
(b) Political intrigue.
(c) Sparse resources and unsafe territory.
(d) Storms and primitive land.
3. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
(a) As a harsh land.
(b) As a refuge from Europe.
(c) As a land of plenty.
(d) As a tropical paradise.
4. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
5. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
(a) As a harmless fantasy.
(b) As a requirement for a green society.
(c) As a hindrance to progress.
(d) As the path to the future.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
2. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
3. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
4. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
5. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)