|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(a) Withdrawal from modernization.
(b) Urban planning for green spaces.
2. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Yosemite, CA.
(b) Providence, RI.
(c) Norfolk, VA.
(d) Concord, MA.
3. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The desire to merge with nature.
(b) The futility of fighting nature.
(c) The imperative to transform nature.
(d) The interruption of woodland peace.
4. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
(a) A high ground in terms of religious experience.
(b) Legitimacy as an American.
(d) A middle ground between city and country.
5. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Twain's Huckleberry Finn.
(b) Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin.
(c) Morrison's Beloved.
(d) Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher.
Short Answer Questions
1. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
2. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
3. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
4. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
5. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)