|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
(a) No disparity between rich and poor.
(b) No government.
(c) No need for language.
(d) No work.
2. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
3. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
(a) The impossibility of the pastoral ideal.
(b) The corruption of the Old World.
(c) The plan for Utopia in America.
(d) The personalities who will be required to develop America.
4. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
(a) The conflict over resource use.
(b) The struggle for domination over nature.
(c) The struggle for poetic expression.
(d) The conflict over resource use.
5. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Small towns.
(b) Urban parks.
(c) Outdated buildings.
(d) Urban areas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did colonists find in America?
2. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
3. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
4. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
5. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)