|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) A whale hunt.
(b) Living in the woods.
(c) Indian wars.
(d) A reverie in the woods.
2. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
3. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(a) Withdrawal from modernization.
(d) Urban planning for green spaces.
4. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
(a) Hardship and providence.
(b) Wisdom and innocence.
(c) Savagery and civilization.
(d) Lawlessness and restraint.
5. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
(a) By a merchant.
(b) By a railroad whistle.
(c) By a blue jay.
(d) By an Indian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
2. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
3. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
4. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)