|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most important part of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest', in Marx's estimation?
(a) An engagement and marriage.
(b) A conflict over territory.
(c) A political power struggle.
(d) A conflict over how to use resources.
2. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
(a) Eighteenth century.
(b) Nineteenth century.
(c) With colonization.
(d) Twentieth century.
3. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
(a) As spokesmen for conservation.
(b) As experienced people hoping for redemption.
(c) As victims of political power.
(d) As advance agents of civilization.
4. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The interruption of woodland peace.
(b) The desire to merge with nature.
(c) The futility of fighting nature.
(d) The imperative to transform nature.
5. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to nature.
(b) Return to the city.
(c) Life in nature.
(d) Life in the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
2. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
3. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
4. What did colonists find in America?
5. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)