|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
(a) A middle ground between city and country.
(b) Legitimacy as an American.
(d) A high ground in terms of religious experience.
2. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
(a) Farm subsidies.
(b) Tariffs on imported manufactured goods.
(c) Low taxes.
(d) Regulation of speculative investments.
3. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
(a) At colonization.
(b) At the Industrial Revolution.
(c) At the Revolution.
(d) During the French Revolution.
4. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The desire to merge with nature.
(b) The interruption of woodland peace.
(c) The futility of fighting nature.
(d) The imperative to transform nature.
5. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Gonzalo and Ferdinand.
(b) Miranda and Caliban.
(c) Ferdinand and Miranda.
(d) Gonzalo and Prospero.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
2. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
3. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
4. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
5. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)