|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
(a) No disparity between rich and poor.
(b) No government.
(c) No work.
(d) No need for language.
2. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
(a) By an Indian.
(b) By a blue jay.
(c) By a merchant.
(d) By a railroad whistle.
3. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) By conserving.
(b) By making green spaces.
(c) By building cities.
(d) By mining resources.
4. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Yosemite, CA.
(b) Providence, RI.
(c) Concord, MA.
(d) Norfolk, VA.
5. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
(a) As a tropical paradise.
(b) As a land of plenty.
(c) As a harsh land.
(d) As a refuge from Europe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
3. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
4. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)