|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
(a) At the Industrial Revolution.
(b) At the Revolution.
(c) During the French Revolution.
(d) At colonization.
2. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
(a) People began to be able to visit the country from the city.
(b) People stopped living on farms in the late 1700s.
(c) Southern plantations were the first farms to perform agriculture on an industrial scale.
(d) The railroad blurred the boundary between city and country.
3. What did colonists find in America?
(a) Virgin land.
(b) Civilized people they could convert to Christianity.
(c) Infrastructure they could usurp from the natives.
(d) A desert they could transform into a garden.
4. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(d) Feelings of alienation.
5. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
(a) No need for language.
(b) No government.
(c) No work.
(d) No disparity between rich and poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
2. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
3. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
4. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
5. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)