|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
(a) To live out a primitive existence.
(b) To turn nature into an industrial resource.
(c) To transform nature into an ordered place.
(d) To live in the lap of nature.
2. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
(a) With colonization.
(b) Eighteenth century.
(c) Nineteenth century.
(d) Twentieth century.
3. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
4. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Urban parks.
(b) Urban areas.
(c) Small towns.
(d) Outdated buildings.
5. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Miranda and Caliban.
(b) Gonzalo and Prospero.
(c) Gonzalo and Ferdinand.
(d) Ferdinand and Miranda.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
2. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
3. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
4. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
5. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)