|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
(a) The reality of history.
(b) Industrial modernism.
(c) Extractive industries.
2. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Urban areas.
(b) Urban parks.
(c) Outdated buildings.
(d) Small towns.
3. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
(a) Rocky soil and harsh laws.
(b) Political intrigue.
(c) Sparse resources and unsafe territory.
(d) Storms and primitive land.
4. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
5. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
(a) More complex.
(c) More elegant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
2. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
3. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
4. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
5. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)