|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
2. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
(a) Accounts of African tribes.
(b) Accounts of travel to India.
(c) Accounts of travel to the Pacific islands.
(d) Accounts of travel to the New World.
3. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
(a) Steam, progress, and control over the ocean.
(b) Efficiency, control, and profit.
(c) Fire, smoke and speed.
(d) Power, productivity, and order.
4. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
(a) Hardship and providence.
(b) Savagery and civilization.
(c) Wisdom and innocence.
(d) Lawlessness and restraint.
5. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
(a) A place of redemption.
(b) A source for good in the Old World.
(c) A refuge.
(d) A place of hardship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would people live on, in Gonzalo's ideal world?
2. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
3. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
4. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
5. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)