|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
2. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
3. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
(a) The conflict over resource use.
(b) The conflict over resource use.
(c) The struggle for domination over nature.
(d) The struggle for poetic expression.
4. What did colonists find in America?
(a) Civilized people they could convert to Christianity.
(b) Infrastructure they could usurp from the natives.
(c) Virgin land.
(d) A desert they could transform into a garden.
5. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
(a) As evil and plotting.
(b) As simple and virtuous.
(c) As naïve and untrustworthy.
(d) As barbaric and cruel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would people live on, in Gonzalo's ideal world?
2. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
3. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
4. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
5. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)