|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
2. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Living in the woods.
(b) Indian wars.
(c) A whale hunt.
(d) A reverie in the woods.
3. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(b) Relocation to the suburbs.
(c) Rail trails.
(d) Exploitation of resources.
4. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are no longer exclusive.
(b) They are both reinvented by machines.
(c) They are both monetized.
(d) They are no longer interdependent.
5. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
(a) The steam locomotive.
(b) The steamship.
(c) The cotton gin.
(d) The factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
2. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
4. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)