|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Shakepeare's American Fable.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(b) Relocation to the suburbs.
(c) Rail trails.
(d) Exploitation of resources.
2. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to home.
(b) Return to nature.
(c) Return to the city.
(d) Return to childhood.
3. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
(a) People began to be able to visit the country from the city.
(b) The railroad blurred the boundary between city and country.
(c) Southern plantations were the first farms to perform agriculture on an industrial scale.
(d) People stopped living on farms in the late 1700s.
4. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
(a) As a harsh land.
(b) As a refuge from Europe.
(c) As a land of plenty.
(d) As a tropical paradise.
5. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
(a) Storms and primitive land.
(b) Political intrigue.
(c) Sparse resources and unsafe territory.
(d) Rocky soil and harsh laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
2. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
3. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
4. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
5. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)