|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx point out was formed as a result of the Revolutionary War?
(a) An industrial capacity.
(b) Opposition to expansion.
(c) Filthy cities.
(d) Corrupt government.
2. Why does Marx say that machines could be welcomed into America?
(a) Because there was such sharp competition.
(b) Because they would tame the vast frontier.
(c) Because the frontier would always be wild.
(d) Because industrial capacity provided a survival edge.
3. What would manufacturing do for America, in Coxe's estimation?
(a) Generate wealth.
(b) Unify the electorate.
(c) Drive western expansion.
(d) Ensure independence.
4. Whom does Marx credit with predicting all the evils of industrialism?
(a) John Orvis.
(b) Daniel Webster.
(c) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
5. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
(a) Development and expansion.
(b) Generosity and sharing.
(c) Conservation and reservations.
(d) Hard work and sacrifice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
2. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
4. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
5. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)