|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Small towns.
(b) Outdated buildings.
(c) Urban areas.
(d) Urban parks.
2. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
3. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
(a) Fostering entrepreneurship.
(b) A government that encouraged self-reliance.
(c) The free market.
(d) Protecting individuals from industrialism.
4. What was unique about American manufacturing, in Coxe's view?
(a) It presented enormous economic opportunities.
(b) Markets were waiting for American goods.
(c) The raw materials were limitless.
(d) The environment would keep it healthy.
5. What effect does Marx say Emerson foresaw for industrialism?
(a) Fulfillment of the worker in his work.
(b) Control of the worker in his working environment.
(c) Detachment of the worker from his work.
(d) Devaluation of the worker in the market.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
2. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
3. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
4. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
5. What kinds of machines especially did Americans welcome at the end of the 18th century?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)