|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
(a) Beverly saw human nature become greedy when resources were cheap.
(b) Beverly saw the natives learn to want drink and escapism as a result of contact with settlers.
(c) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
(d) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
2. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
(a) As a land of plenty.
(b) As a harsh land.
(c) As a refuge from Europe.
(d) As a tropical paradise.
3. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
4. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
5. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The imperative to transform nature.
(b) The desire to merge with nature.
(c) The futility of fighting nature.
(d) The interruption of woodland peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
2. Who was Tench Coxe?
3. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
4. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
5. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)