|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are both monetized.
(b) They are no longer exclusive.
(c) They are both reinvented by machines.
(d) They are no longer interdependent.
2. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
(a) Terza rima.
(b) Landscape painting.
(c) Trompe l'oeil paintings.
(d) Homeric versa.
3. What would manufacturing do for America, in Coxe's estimation?
(a) Unify the electorate.
(b) Ensure independence.
(c) Drive western expansion.
(d) Generate wealth.
4. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Life in the city.
(b) Life in nature.
(c) Return to nature.
(d) Return to the city.
5. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
(a) Whites wanted peace with the natives, but took their land to start wars.
(b) Settlers brought progress, but the natives didn't want it.
(c) Natives wanted progress, but then they hated themselves.
(d) Settlers wanted a paradise, but replicated their towns and government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say Beverly felt about the New World, by the end of his history?
2. What effect does Marx say Emerson foresaw for industrialism?
3. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
4. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
5. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)