|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was it that Jefferson described as a threat to the moral center of democracy?
(a) European military power.
(d) Native Americans.
2. What would manufacturing do for America, in Coxe's estimation?
(a) Drive western expansion.
(b) Ensure independence.
(c) Generate wealth.
(d) Unify the electorate.
3. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
(a) Savagery and civilization.
(b) Wisdom and innocence.
(c) Hardship and providence.
(d) Lawlessness and restraint.
4. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to nature.
(b) Return to the city.
(c) Life in nature.
(d) Life in the city.
5. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
(a) The corruption of the Old World.
(b) The plan for Utopia in America.
(c) The personalities who will be required to develop America.
(d) The impossibility of the pastoral ideal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
2. What thinkers does Marx say followed Carlyle's critique of industrialism?
3. Whom does Marx credit with predicting all the evils of industrialism?
4. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
5. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)