|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
(a) Accounts of travel to India.
(b) Accounts of travel to the Pacific islands.
(c) Accounts of travel to the New World.
(d) Accounts of African tribes.
2. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to nature.
(b) Return to home.
(c) Return to childhood.
(d) Return to the city.
3. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
(a) The cotton gin.
(b) The factory.
(c) The steam locomotive.
(d) The steamship.
4. What kinds of machines especially did Americans welcome at the end of the 18th century?
(b) Machine tools.
(d) Milling machines.
5. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Norris' The Octopus.
(b) Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.
(c) Thoreau's Walden.
(d) James' Daisy Miller.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the American response to steam power in Britain?
2. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
3. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
4. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
5. What did Coxe contrast manufacturing with?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)