|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marx say most American writers described industrial expansion?
(a) As a torment.
(b) As a crime.
(c) As a force of nature.
(d) As a form of art.
2. How did Coxe's vision for industrialism intersect with pastoralism?
(a) Coxe predicted that industries would leave dead places in the environment when they collapsed.
(b) Coxe prophesied that extractive industries would ruin the landscape.
(c) Coxe thought that America's environment would make the factory a pastoral place.
(d) Coxe thought that factories would blight the landscape.
3. What virtues did Jefferson associate with the civilization?
(a) Intellect and privilege.
(b) Ingenuity and technology.
(c) Creativity and inspiration.
(d) Creativity and inspiration.
4. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
(a) Natives wanted progress, but then they hated themselves.
(b) Settlers brought progress, but the natives didn't want it.
(c) Whites wanted peace with the natives, but took their land to start wars.
(d) Settlers wanted a paradise, but replicated their towns and government.
5. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Urban parks.
(b) Small towns.
(c) Urban areas.
(d) Outdated buildings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
2. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
3. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
4. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
5. What does Marx say Beverly felt about the New World, by the end of his history?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)