|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
(a) Accounts of travel to the New World.
(b) Accounts of travel to India.
(c) Accounts of African tribes.
(d) Accounts of travel to the Pacific islands.
2. What virtues did Jefferson associate with the civilization?
(a) Creativity and inspiration.
(b) Intellect and privilege.
(c) Creativity and inspiration.
(d) Ingenuity and technology.
3. Whom does Marx credit with predicting all the evils of industrialism?
(a) John Orvis.
(b) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Daniel Webster.
4. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
(a) As experienced people hoping for redemption.
(b) As victims of political power.
(c) As advance agents of civilization.
(d) As spokesmen for conservation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
2. What part of man remained free of industrialism, in Carlyle's view?
3. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
4. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
5. What was Daniel Webster's feeling about pastoralism?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)