|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
(a) A refuge.
(b) A place of redemption.
(c) A place of hardship.
(d) A source for good in the Old World.
2. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to nature.
(b) Life in the city.
(c) Life in nature.
(d) Life in religion.
3. What thinkers does Marx say followed Carlyle's critique of industrialism?
(a) Lenin and Stalin.
(b) William James and John Dewey.
(c) Hegel and Marx.
(d) Derrida and Foucault.
4. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
(b) More complex.
(c) More elegant.
5. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
(a) As a domestic industry.
(b) As a new nature.
(c) As a raw material.
(d) As an improved nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the general feeling about industrialism in America, as it expanded?
2. How did Americans see westward expansion, in Marx's account?
3. What does Marx point out accompanied factories and progress in transportation?
4. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. How did Jefferson describe the representative man in Notes on Virginia?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)