|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Life in nature.
(b) Return to nature.
(c) Life in the city.
(d) Return to the city.
2. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
3. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Urban areas.
(b) Urban parks.
(c) Outdated buildings.
(d) Small towns.
4. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
(a) Wilderness was going to redeem the nation's soul.
(b) Agriculture was going to supply the nation's wealth.
(c) Virgin territory was going absorb all the overflowing east-coast cities.
(d) Natural resources were going to be a source of wealth for generations.
5. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
(a) Fairness in dividing territory.
(b) Balance between men and women.
(c) Balance between man and nature.
(d) Justice in righting old wrongs.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
2. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
3. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
4. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
5. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)