|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
(a) Accounts of travel to India.
(b) Accounts of African tribes.
(c) Accounts of travel to the Pacific islands.
(d) Accounts of travel to the New World.
2. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.
(b) James' Daisy Miller.
(c) Thoreau's Walden.
(d) Norris' The Octopus.
3. What effect does Marx say Emerson foresaw for industrialism?
(a) Devaluation of the worker in the market.
(b) Detachment of the worker from his work.
(c) Fulfillment of the worker in his work.
(d) Control of the worker in his working environment.
4. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) Providence, RI.
(b) Yosemite, CA.
(c) Concord, MA.
(d) Norfolk, VA.
5. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
(a) Conservation and reservations.
(b) Hard work and sacrifice.
(c) Generosity and sharing.
(d) Development and expansion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jefferson ultimately conclude about industrialism?
2. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
3. Why does Marx say that machines could be welcomed into America?
4. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
5. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)