|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
2. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
(a) To transform nature into an ordered place.
(b) To live in the lap of nature.
(c) To turn nature into an industrial resource.
(d) To live out a primitive existence.
3. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
(a) As a promised land.
(b) As a desert.
(c) As a purgatory.
(d) As a pestilential swamp.
4. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
(a) Indigenous people.
(b) Political intrigue.
(c) American colonization.
(d) Natural spirituality.
5. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
(a) Savagery and civilization.
(b) Hardship and providence.
(c) Wisdom and innocence.
(d) Lawlessness and restraint.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
2. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
3. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
4. What dangers were writers warning about as America urbanized?
5. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)