|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Life in religion.
(b) Return to nature.
(c) Life in the city.
(d) Life in nature.
2. How does industrialism devalue man, in Carlyle's opinion?
(a) It uses only one part of him.
(b) It discourages invention.
(c) It treats him as a commodity.
(d) It requires long hours in dark factories.
3. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
(a) Wilderness and domestication.
(b) Comfort and exploration.
(c) Civilization and primitive life.
(d) Corruption and innocence.
4. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
5. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
(a) Power, productivity, and order.
(b) Fire, smoke and speed.
(c) Efficiency, control, and profit.
(d) Steam, progress, and control over the ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
2. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
3. What does Marx point out accompanied factories and progress in transportation?
4. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
5. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)