|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
(a) No work.
(b) No government.
(c) No disparity between rich and poor.
(d) No need for language.
2. What 'sealed the fate' of American industrialism, according to Marx?
(a) Machine tools.
(b) The railroad.
(c) The cotton gin.
(d) Standardized parts.
3. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
(a) As a hindrance to progress.
(b) As a harmless fantasy.
(c) As a requirement for a green society.
(d) As the path to the future.
4. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
5. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Ferdinand and Miranda.
(b) Gonzalo and Prospero.
(c) Gonzalo and Ferdinand.
(d) Miranda and Caliban.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
2. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
3. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
4. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
5. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)