|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Daniel Webster believe the railroad would do for America?
(a) Unify the people.
(b) Destroy the traditions.
(c) Terrify the livestock.
(d) Corrupt the youth.
2. What effect did Carlyle say industrialism would have?
(a) Increasing the gap between rich and poor.
(b) Poisoning the rivers and water.
(c) Corrupting the youth with dreams of individualism.
(d) Disrupting the continuity of societies with mobility.
3. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
(a) The portrait of men who gain power by disposing of natural resources.
(b) The portrait of love's frailty against political power.
(c) The portrait of an unspoiled landscape invaded by Europeans.
(d) The portrait of indecision about taking the throne.
4. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
(a) Nature seemed benevolent compared with the disordered city.
(b) Nature had become a mirror for man's corrupt soul.
(c) Nature seemed chaotic and devilish compared with civilization.
(d) Nature seemed divine and benevolent compared with corrupt man.
5. What 'sealed the fate' of American industrialism, according to Marx?
(a) Standardized parts.
(b) The railroad.
(c) The cotton gin.
(d) Machine tools.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. How did Jefferson describe the representative man in Notes on Virginia?
3. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
4. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
5. What was Daniel Webster's take on industrialism?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)