|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
(a) At the Industrial Revolution.
(b) At colonization.
(c) At the Revolution.
(d) During the French Revolution.
2. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
(a) The settlers' notes and journals.
(b) The sea captains' log books.
(c) Nautical charts.
(d) The King's records.
4. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
(a) Harnessing natural resources.
(b) Green, rural lifestyle.
(c) Domesticating wild things.
(d) The savages' harmony with nature.
5. How did Jefferson describe the representative man in Notes on Virginia?
(a) An industrious, independent farmer.
(b) A powerful industrialist.
(c) A virtuous man of nature.
(d) An inventive entrepreneur.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Tench Coxe?
2. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
3. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
4. What was the American response to steam power in Britain?
5. What did Coxe foresee for America?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)