|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are both reinvented by machines.
(b) They are no longer interdependent.
(c) They are both monetized.
(d) They are no longer exclusive.
2. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Miranda and Caliban.
(b) Gonzalo and Ferdinand.
(c) Gonzalo and Prospero.
(d) Ferdinand and Miranda.
3. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
(a) They could buy land so cheap from the natives.
(b) It was unsoiled by civilization.
(c) It was theirs by right of conquest.
(d) Everything was free for the taking.
4. How do Americans express their sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) By conserving.
(b) By building cities.
(c) By mining resources.
(d) By making green spaces.
5. What is the most important part of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest', in Marx's estimation?
(a) An engagement and marriage.
(b) A conflict over territory.
(c) A political power struggle.
(d) A conflict over how to use resources.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
2. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
3. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
4. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
5. What conflict does Marx say was avoided as America expanded?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)