|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Relocation to the suburbs.
(b) Exploitation of resources.
(d) Rail trails.
2. Whom does Marx credit with predicting all the evils of industrialism?
(a) Daniel Webster.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) John Orvis.
(d) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
3. What effect did Carlyle say industrialism would have?
(a) Corrupting the youth with dreams of individualism.
(b) Poisoning the rivers and water.
(c) Increasing the gap between rich and poor.
(d) Disrupting the continuity of societies with mobility.
4. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
(a) Wilderness was going to redeem the nation's soul.
(b) Natural resources were going to be a source of wealth for generations.
(c) Virgin territory was going absorb all the overflowing east-coast cities.
(d) Agriculture was going to supply the nation's wealth.
5. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
(a) Indigenous people.
(b) Natural spirituality.
(c) American colonization.
(d) Political intrigue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What desire does Marx describe as the opposite of Barlowe's view?
2. How does industrialism devalue man, in Carlyle's opinion?
3. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
4. What was Daniel Webster's feeling about pastoralism?
5. How many Americans lived on farms by the end of the 19th century?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)