|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
(a) To live out a primitive existence.
(b) To turn nature into an industrial resource.
(c) To transform nature into an ordered place.
(d) To live in the lap of nature.
2. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
3. What conflict does Marx say was avoided as America expanded?
(a) Warfare between financiers and farmers.
(b) Warfare between North and South.
(c) Warfare between industrial and agrarian interests.
(d) Class warfare.
4. How did Americans see westward expansion, in Marx's account?
(a) As a crime against Indians.
(b) As a form of corruption.
(c) As a destruction of the landscape.
(d) As a form of progress.
5. What does Marx point out accompanied factories and progress in transportation?
(a) Longer lifespans.
(b) Increased literacy.
(c) Decreased infant mortality rates.
(d) Worker abuses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
2. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
3. What trait did American thinkers and writers see in evidence in America's industrial expansion?
4. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
5. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)