|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
(a) By a merchant.
(b) By a railroad whistle.
(c) By a blue jay.
(d) By an Indian.
2. When did a uniquely American pastoral image emerge?
(a) Seventeenth century.
(b) At colonization.
(c) Nineteenth century.
(d) Eighteenth century.
3. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Relocation to the suburbs.
(c) Rail trails.
(d) Exploitation of resources.
4. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
5. What did Daniel Webster believe the railroad would do for America?
(a) Destroy the traditions.
(b) Unify the people.
(c) Corrupt the youth.
(d) Terrify the livestock.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
2. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
3. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
4. How does industrialism devalue man, in Carlyle's opinion?
5. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)