|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
(a) As natural.
(b) As unnatural.
(c) As inevitable.
(d) As preventable.
2. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.
(b) Thoreau's Walden.
(c) James' Daisy Miller.
(d) Norris' The Octopus.
3. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
(a) By a blue jay.
(b) By a railroad whistle.
(c) By a merchant.
(d) By an Indian.
4. What does Marx point out was formed as a result of the Revolutionary War?
(a) Corrupt government.
(b) Opposition to expansion.
(c) Filthy cities.
(d) An industrial capacity.
5. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
(a) The imperative to transform nature.
(b) The interruption of woodland peace.
(c) The futility of fighting nature.
(d) The desire to merge with nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
2. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
3. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
4. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
5. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)