|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
(a) Fire, smoke and speed.
(b) Steam, progress, and control over the ocean.
(c) Power, productivity, and order.
(d) Efficiency, control, and profit.
2. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
(a) Natives wanted progress, but then they hated themselves.
(b) Settlers wanted a paradise, but replicated their towns and government.
(c) Whites wanted peace with the natives, but took their land to start wars.
(d) Settlers brought progress, but the natives didn't want it.
3. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
(a) Ignorance and apathy.
(b) Peace movements.
(c) Reactionary philosophy.
(d) Industrial developments.
4. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
(a) Landscape painting.
(b) Terza rima.
(c) Trompe l'oeil paintings.
(d) Homeric versa.
5. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
(a) Colonization had subdued the natives and killed off predatory animals.
(b) Factories had subjugated nature.
(c) Nature commanded new respect.
(d) Engineers could shape nature more efficiently.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does Marx say Emerson foresaw for industrialism?
2. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
3. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
4. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
5. How does Marx say most American writers described industrial expansion?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)