|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
(a) As a raw material.
(b) As a domestic industry.
(c) As a new nature.
(d) As an improved nature.
2. What trait did American thinkers and writers see in evidence in America's industrial expansion?
3. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
(a) A middle ground between city and country.
(b) A high ground in terms of religious experience.
(c) Legitimacy as an American.
4. What did Daniel Webster believe the railroad would do for America?
(a) Destroy the traditions.
(b) Corrupt the youth.
(c) Terrify the livestock.
(d) Unify the people.
5. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
2. What was unique about American manufacturing, in Coxe's view?
3. How did Coxe's vision for industrialism intersect with pastoralism?
4. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
5. What does Marx point out was formed as a result of the Revolutionary War?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)