|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Machine.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
2. What virtues did Jefferson associate with the civilization?
(a) Intellect and privilege.
(b) Creativity and inspiration.
(c) Creativity and inspiration.
(d) Ingenuity and technology.
3. How did Americans see westward expansion, in Marx's account?
(a) As a crime against Indians.
(b) As a destruction of the landscape.
(c) As a form of corruption.
(d) As a form of progress.
4. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Relocation to the suburbs.
(c) Rail trails.
(d) Exploitation of resources.
5. What part of man remained free of industrialism, in Carlyle's view?
(a) His spirit.
(b) None of him.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would manufacturing do for America, in Coxe's estimation?
2. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
3. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
4. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
5. What desire does Marx describe as the opposite of Barlowe's view?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)