|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
(a) The demonic element in factories.
(c) Man's desire for progress.
(d) Chaotic forces of nature.
2. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
3. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
(a) As an inventory when he was governor.
(b) Upon his travels to Europe.
(c) At a French Diplomat's request.
(d) For leisure.
4. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
(a) Colonization had subdued the natives and killed off predatory animals.
(b) Nature commanded new respect.
(c) Engineers could shape nature more efficiently.
(d) Factories had subjugated nature.
5. What does the Pequod symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
(b) Elemental nature.
(c) Spiritual degradation.
(d) Modern society.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
2. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
3. What is Huck Finn lamenting at the beginning of Huckleberry Finn?
4. What skill did Twain idealize?
5. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)