|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Thoreau conclude as a result of his time at Walden?
(a) That men are desperate and sad.
(b) That technology must be stopped.
(c) That men should remove themselves from society.
(d) That man should simplify his life.
2. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
3. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
(a) The conflict over resource use.
(b) The struggle for poetic expression.
(c) The conflict over resource use.
(d) The struggle for domination over nature.
4. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
(a) Nature had become a mirror for man's corrupt soul.
(b) Nature seemed chaotic and devilish compared with civilization.
(c) Nature seemed benevolent compared with the disordered city.
(d) Nature seemed divine and benevolent compared with corrupt man.
5. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
(a) Political intrigue.
(b) Rocky soil and harsh laws.
(c) Storms and primitive land.
(d) Sparse resources and unsafe territory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
2. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
3. What is the relationship between industrialism and pastoralism?
4. How did Melville describe whaling?
5. How did Emerson portray nature?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)