|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Emerson's philosophy ultimately propose?
(a) Reconciliation of industry and nature.
(b) Domestication of nature.
(c) Rejection of industry.
(d) Urbanization of nature.
2. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
(a) He saw a unique opportunity in the New World.
(b) He thought the New World would improve the settlers.
(c) He thought that the settlers and natives could work together.
(d) He thought that the New World could improve the natives.
3. What symbolic statement does Marx say Twain made in the raft being destroyed in Huckleberry Finn?
(a) Fleeing from the law is dangerous.
(b) Technology has progressed beyond steamboats.
(c) Man is alone in the river of life.
(d) Hiding from society is impossible.
4. What did Emerson originally propose in his philosophy?
(a) Immersion in literature.
(b) Immersion in science.
(c) Immersion in nature.
(d) Immersion in society.
5. What feeling characterized the beginning of Mark Twain's writing career?
(a) Fear about the consequences of the railroad.
(b) Lamentation about the death of Indian cultures.
(c) Nostalgia for the old days on the Mississippi.
(d) Optimism about industrial expansion into the midwest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between industrialism and pastoralism?
2. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
3. What would men of reason provide in Emerson's vision?
4. What does Ishmael symbolize, in Marx's interpretation of Moby Dick?
5. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)