|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
2. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
3. What did Jefferson ultimately conclude about industrialism?
(a) That it had to balance efficiencies with creating employment opportunities.
(b) That it had to be suppressed.
(c) That it had to be developed.
(d) That it had to be aligned with public virtues.
4. What skill did Twain idealize?
(a) The engineer's ability to bridge rivers.
(b) The Indian soldier's warfare.
(c) The riverboat pilot's knowledge of the river.
(d) The steam locomotive engineer's control over the train.
5. How did Emerson portray nature?
(a) As chaotic and disorganized.
(b) As the grand provider.
(c) As a force to be overcome.
(d) As demonic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What desire does Marx describe as the opposite of Barlowe's view?
2. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
3. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
4. What would men of reason provide in Emerson's vision?
5. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)