|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
(a) Beverly saw the natives learn to want drink and escapism as a result of contact with settlers.
(b) Beverly saw human nature become greedy when resources were cheap.
(c) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
(d) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
2. What did Henry Adams envision as the consequence of technology?
(a) Disaffection, alienation, and disease.
(b) The human race committing suicide.
(c) The unification of knowledge in one science.
(d) The unification of humans and nature.
3. How were frontiersmen typically portrayed by easterners in Jefferson's time?
(a) As dilettantes.
(b) As epicures.
(c) As civilizing agents.
(d) As untamed.
4. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
5. What did Emerson say that science and technology could serve?
(a) Powerless men.
(b) Corrupt men.
(c) A destructive god.
(d) A rural ideal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What allowed America to preserve Jeffersonian ideals for 100 years after Jefferson wrote about them?
2. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
3. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
4. What did Thoreau conclude as a result of his time at Walden?
5. How did Emerson portray nature?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)