|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
(a) Natives wanted progress, but then they hated themselves.
(b) Settlers brought progress, but the natives didn't want it.
(c) Settlers wanted a paradise, but replicated their towns and government.
(d) Whites wanted peace with the natives, but took their land to start wars.
2. What did Emerson originally propose in his philosophy?
(a) Immersion in literature.
(b) Immersion in nature.
(c) Immersion in society.
(d) Immersion in science.
3. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
(a) As a domestic industry.
(b) As an improved nature.
(c) As a new nature.
(d) As a raw material.
4. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
5. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
(a) Dogmas and conflicts over religion.
(b) Suppression of religious expression.
(c) Plagues and uncertainty over medical treatment.
(d) Vanities and conflicts over property.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
2. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
3. How did Jefferson describe the representative man in Notes on Virginia?
4. How does Marx describe the pastoralism of the 19th century?
5. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)