|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was it that Jefferson described as a threat to the moral center of democracy?
(a) European military power.
(d) Native Americans.
2. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
(a) The conflict over resource use.
(b) The struggle for domination over nature.
(c) The struggle for poetic expression.
(d) The conflict over resource use.
3. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
(a) Dogmas and conflicts over religion.
(b) Vanities and conflicts over property.
(c) Plagues and uncertainty over medical treatment.
(d) Suppression of religious expression.
4. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
(a) Wisdom and innocence.
(b) Lawlessness and restraint.
(c) Savagery and civilization.
(d) Hardship and providence.
5. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Life in the city.
(b) Life in religion.
(c) Life in nature.
(d) Return to nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marx describe the pastoralism of the 19th century?
2. How did Melville describe whaling?
3. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
4. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
5. What would men of reason provide in Emerson's vision?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)