|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to childhood.
(b) Return to the city.
(c) Return to nature.
(d) Return to home.
2. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
(a) As an improved nature.
(b) As a domestic industry.
(c) As a raw material.
(d) As a new nature.
3. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
(a) Plagues and uncertainty over medical treatment.
(b) Vanities and conflicts over property.
(c) Suppression of religious expression.
(d) Dogmas and conflicts over religion.
4. What skill did Twain idealize?
(a) The engineer's ability to bridge rivers.
(b) The Indian soldier's warfare.
(c) The riverboat pilot's knowledge of the river.
(d) The steam locomotive engineer's control over the train.
5. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
(a) Homeric versa.
(b) Landscape painting.
(c) Trompe l'oeil paintings.
(d) Terza rima.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
3. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
4. What did Henry Adams envision as the consequence of technology?
5. What does Marx say Beverly felt about the New World, by the end of his history?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)