|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does fire have in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
(a) It brings religion to people.
(b) It spreads light into the wilderness.
(c) It drives factories and great productivity.
(d) It destroys an everyman.
2. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
3. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
(a) Upon his travels to Europe.
(b) At a French Diplomat's request.
(c) As an inventory when he was governor.
(d) For leisure.
4. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
(a) Beverly saw the natives learn to want drink and escapism as a result of contact with settlers.
(b) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
(c) Beverly saw human nature become greedy when resources were cheap.
(d) Beverly saw the whites corrupt the natives.
5. What does Marx say Beverly felt about the New World, by the end of his history?
(c) Cautiously optimistic.
Short Answer Questions
1. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
2. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
3. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
4. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
5. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)