|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Emerson say that science and technology could serve?
(a) Powerless men.
(b) Corrupt men.
(c) A rural ideal.
(d) A destructive god.
2. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Norris' The Octopus.
(b) Thoreau's Walden.
(c) Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.
(d) James' Daisy Miller.
3. What does Marx say Thoreau wanted people to do in nature?
4. What allowed America to preserve Jeffersonian ideals for 100 years after Jefferson wrote about them?
(a) Slow pace of technological development.
(b) Peace with natives.
(c) A frontier to expand into.
(d) Absence of foreign threats.
5. What is Huck Finn lamenting at the beginning of Huckleberry Finn?
(a) His loss of his father.
(b) Jim's incarceration.
(c) His current civilized state.
(d) Tom Sawyer's punishment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
2. What did Emerson's philosophy ultimately propose?
3. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
4. What does Marx point out was formed as a result of the Revolutionary War?
5. What is Ishmael's task, in Marx's description of Melville's vision in Moby Dick?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)