|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
(a) The struggle for domination over nature.
(b) The struggle for poetic expression.
(c) The conflict over resource use.
(d) The conflict over resource use.
2. Where had Barlowe traveled to?
3. What would men of understanding provide in Emerson's vision?
4. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
(a) The promise that the wilderness can be domesticated.
(b) The promise that nature can be civilized without being corrupted.
(c) The promise that the city can be redeemed by the country.
(d) The promise that a man can change his life.
5. What is the consequence of knowing nature, according to Twain's work?
(a) Knowing the wild spirit of nature.
(b) Feeling free of society.
(c) Losing familiarity with the whole.
(d) Knowing the deep inter-connectedness of things.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
2. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
3. What is Ishmael's task, in Marx's description of Melville's vision in Moby Dick?
4. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
5. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)