|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Thoreau describe modern man?
(a) Torn apart by his desires.
(b) Unhappy in factories.
(c) Poised at the boundary between nature and industry.
(d) Free in the wilderness.
2. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Return to the city.
(b) Return to nature.
(c) Return to childhood.
(d) Return to home.
3. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
(a) Whites wanted peace with the natives, but took their land to start wars.
(b) Settlers wanted a paradise, but replicated their towns and government.
(c) Settlers brought progress, but the natives didn't want it.
(d) Natives wanted progress, but then they hated themselves.
4. What symbolic statement does Marx say Twain made in the raft being destroyed in Huckleberry Finn?
(a) Man is alone in the river of life.
(b) Fleeing from the law is dangerous.
(c) Technology has progressed beyond steamboats.
(d) Hiding from society is impossible.
5. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
(a) As simple and virtuous.
(b) As naïve and untrustworthy.
(c) As barbaric and cruel.
(d) As evil and plotting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
2. What would men of reason provide in Emerson's vision?
3. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
4. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
5. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)