|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Emerson's philosophy ultimately propose?
(a) Rejection of industry.
(b) Urbanization of nature.
(c) Domestication of nature.
(d) Reconciliation of industry and nature.
2. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
(a) No disparity between rich and poor.
(b) No need for language.
(c) No work.
(d) No government.
3. What would people live on, in Gonzalo's ideal world?
(a) Imported grain.
(b) Money from exports.
(c) Natives' produce.
(d) Nature's bounty.
4. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
(a) Accounts of travel to the New World.
(b) Accounts of African tribes.
(c) Accounts of travel to the Pacific islands.
(d) Accounts of travel to India.
5. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
(a) Paradise Lost.
(b) Paradise Regained.
(c) The Iliad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
3. What is Ishmael's task, in Marx's description of Melville's vision in Moby Dick?
4. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
5. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)