|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
(a) Homeric versa.
(b) Trompe l'oeil paintings.
(c) Terza rima.
(d) Landscape painting.
2. What virtues did Jefferson associate with the civilization?
(a) Creativity and inspiration.
(b) Ingenuity and technology.
(c) Intellect and privilege.
(d) Creativity and inspiration.
3. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
(a) Everything was free for the taking.
(b) It was unsoiled by civilization.
(c) It was theirs by right of conquest.
(d) They could buy land so cheap from the natives.
4. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
(a) Whites wanted peace with the natives, but took their land to start wars.
(b) Natives wanted progress, but then they hated themselves.
(c) Settlers wanted a paradise, but replicated their towns and government.
(d) Settlers brought progress, but the natives didn't want it.
5. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
(a) A place of hardship.
(b) A source for good in the Old World.
(c) A place of redemption.
(d) A refuge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should man do in nature, in Thoreau's vision?
2. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
3. What would men of understanding provide in Emerson's vision?
4. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
5. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)