|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
(a) Balance between man and nature.
(b) Fairness in dividing territory.
(c) Justice in righting old wrongs.
(d) Balance between men and women.
2. What did Jefferson ultimately conclude about industrialism?
(a) That it had to be aligned with public virtues.
(b) That it had to be suppressed.
(c) That it had to be developed.
(d) That it had to balance efficiencies with creating employment opportunities.
3. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
4. When was man supposed to return to nature, in Thoreau's vision?
(a) For permanent residence.
(b) On weekends.
(c) For temporary respites.
(d) He should keep nature alive in his cities.
5. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
(a) Landscape painting.
(b) Homeric versa.
(c) Trompe l'oeil paintings.
(d) Terza rima.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Pequod symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
2. What would men of understanding provide in Emerson's vision?
3. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
4. How were frontiersmen typically portrayed by easterners in Jefferson's time?
5. How did the first settlers see Virginia, in Beverly's history?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)