|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
(a) Factories had subjugated nature.
(b) Colonization had subdued the natives and killed off predatory animals.
(c) Nature commanded new respect.
(d) Engineers could shape nature more efficiently.
2. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
3. What would people live on, in Gonzalo's ideal world?
(a) Natives' produce.
(b) Imported grain.
(c) Money from exports.
(d) Nature's bounty.
4. What should man do in nature, in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Oppose industrialism.
(b) Learn the ways of the animals.
(c) Contemplate eternal laws.
(d) Study the ruthless ways of men.
5. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
(a) Accounts of African tribes.
(b) Accounts of travel to the New World.
(c) Accounts of travel to India.
(d) Accounts of travel to the Pacific islands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it that Jefferson described as a threat to the moral center of democracy?
2. What is the relationship between industrialism and pastoralism?
3. What effect does fire have in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
4. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
5. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)