|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
(a) Hard work and sacrifice.
(b) Conservation and reservations.
(c) Development and expansion.
(d) Generosity and sharing.
2. What would men of understanding provide in Emerson's vision?
3. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
(a) The settlers' notes and journals.
(b) Nautical charts.
(c) The sea captains' log books.
(d) The King's records.
4. What contradiction does Marx say is Melville's true theme in Moby Dick?
(a) The divine inspires and undermines man's projects.
(b) Industry provides for men and destroys them.
(c) Man reveres nature but plunders it.
(d) Nature provides man with everything, and it kills him.
5. When was man supposed to return to nature, in Thoreau's vision?
(a) He should keep nature alive in his cities.
(b) On weekends.
(c) For temporary respites.
(d) For permanent residence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbolic statement does Marx say Twain made in the raft being destroyed in Huckleberry Finn?
2. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
3. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
4. What is Huck Finn lamenting at the beginning of Huckleberry Finn?
5. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)