|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Military developments had made technology deadlier than ever.
(b) Man had become a slave to his tools.
(c) Machines had improved daily life for millions.
(d) Industry had generated enormous wealth.
2. What conclusion about technology does the narrator reach at the end of Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
(a) Progress changes the course of human nature.
(b) Society's benefits do not outweigh its costs.
(c) Primitive human psychology is inescapable.
(d) Nature ultimately conquered industrial man.
3. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
(a) Virgin territory was going absorb all the overflowing east-coast cities.
(b) Natural resources were going to be a source of wealth for generations.
(c) Wilderness was going to redeem the nation's soul.
(d) Agriculture was going to supply the nation's wealth.
4. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
5. How did Jefferson describe the representative man in Notes on Virginia?
(a) An industrious, independent farmer.
(b) A powerful industrialist.
(c) An inventive entrepreneur.
(d) A virtuous man of nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
2. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
3. What is the consequence of knowing nature, according to Twain's work?
4. What should man do in nature, in Thoreau's vision?
5. How did Emerson portray nature?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)