|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skill did Twain idealize?
(a) The engineer's ability to bridge rivers.
(b) The steam locomotive engineer's control over the train.
(c) The Indian soldier's warfare.
(d) The riverboat pilot's knowledge of the river.
2. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
(a) Public transit.
(c) The end of slavery.
(d) Enclosure laws.
3. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
(a) He saw a unique opportunity in the New World.
(b) He thought the New World would improve the settlers.
(c) He thought that the settlers and natives could work together.
(d) He thought that the New World could improve the natives.
4. What should man do in nature, in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Learn the ways of the animals.
(b) Contemplate eternal laws.
(c) Oppose industrialism.
(d) Study the ruthless ways of men.
5. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
(a) As simple and virtuous.
(b) As naïve and untrustworthy.
(c) As evil and plotting.
(d) As barbaric and cruel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were frontiersmen typically portrayed by easterners in Jefferson's time?
2. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
3. What does Marx say Beverly felt about the New World, by the end of his history?
4. What symbolic statement does Marx say Twain made in the raft being destroyed in Huckleberry Finn?
5. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)