|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher.
(b) Morrison's Beloved.
(c) Twain's Huckleberry Finn.
(d) Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin.
2. What desire does Marx describe as the opposite of Barlowe's view?
(a) The desire to know the earth mystically.
(b) The desire to convert the savages.
(c) The desire to make the earth productive.
(d) The desire to tame the landscape.
3. What skill did Twain idealize?
(a) The steam locomotive engineer's control over the train.
(b) The engineer's ability to bridge rivers.
(c) The Indian soldier's warfare.
(d) The riverboat pilot's knowledge of the river.
4. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
(a) Man's desire for progress.
(b) The demonic element in factories.
(c) Chaotic forces of nature.
5. What does Marx say Beverly felt about the New World, by the end of his history?
(a) Cautiously optimistic.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
2. How did Emerson portray nature?
3. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
4. What contradiction does Marx say is Melville's true theme in Moby Dick?
5. What would men of understanding provide in Emerson's vision?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)