|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
(a) The King's records.
(b) Nautical charts.
(c) The settlers' notes and journals.
(d) The sea captains' log books.
2. How did Emerson portray nature?
(a) As the grand provider.
(b) As a force to be overcome.
(c) As chaotic and disorganized.
(d) As demonic.
3. What did Jefferson ultimately conclude about industrialism?
(a) That it had to be suppressed.
(b) That it had to be developed.
(c) That it had to balance efficiencies with creating employment opportunities.
(d) That it had to be aligned with public virtues.
4. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
(a) The promise that a man can change his life.
(b) The promise that the wilderness can be domesticated.
(c) The promise that the city can be redeemed by the country.
(d) The promise that nature can be civilized without being corrupted.
5. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
(a) Accounts of travel to India.
(b) Accounts of travel to the Pacific islands.
(c) Accounts of travel to the New World.
(d) Accounts of African tribes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
3. What does Marx point out was formed as a result of the Revolutionary War?
4. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
5. How were frontiersmen typically portrayed by easterners in Jefferson's time?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)