|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the ocean symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
(a) Nature's danger.
(b) Man's creativity.
(c) Man's redemption.
(d) A provident god.
2. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
(a) Literature and action.
(b) Urbaneness and wilderness.
(c) Poetry and technology.
(d) Nature and civility.
3. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
(a) It was theirs by right of conquest.
(b) It was unsoiled by civilization.
(c) They could buy land so cheap from the natives.
(d) Everything was free for the taking.
4. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
(a) The settlers' notes and journals.
(b) Nautical charts.
(c) The sea captains' log books.
(d) The King's records.
5. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
(a) Balance between man and nature.
(b) Fairness in dividing territory.
(c) Balance between men and women.
(d) Justice in righting old wrongs.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did a uniquely American pastoral image emerge?
2. How did Emerson describe the relationship between the east and the west?
3. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
4. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
5. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)