|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
(a) The personalities who will be required to develop America.
(b) The impossibility of the pastoral ideal.
(c) The corruption of the Old World.
(d) The plan for Utopia in America.
2. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
(a) Balance between man and nature.
(b) Justice in righting old wrongs.
(c) Fairness in dividing territory.
(d) Balance between men and women.
3. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
(a) Wilderness and domestication.
(b) Comfort and exploration.
(c) Corruption and innocence.
(d) Civilization and primitive life.
4. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
(a) No need for language.
(b) No work.
(c) No government.
(d) No disparity between rich and poor.
5. What is Ishmael's task, in Marx's description of Melville's vision in Moby Dick?
(a) To reconcile nature and society.
(b) To save the ship.
(c) To kill the white whale.
(d) To restrain Ahab.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. What is the most important part of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest', in Marx's estimation?
3. What conclusion about technology does the narrator reach at the end of Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
4. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
5. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)