|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
(a) Sparse resources and unsafe territory.
(b) Storms and primitive land.
(c) Political intrigue.
(d) Rocky soil and harsh laws.
2. What does Marx say Thoreau wanted people to do in nature?
3. What is Ishmael's task, in Marx's description of Melville's vision in Moby Dick?
(a) To save the ship.
(b) To restrain Ahab.
(c) To reconcile nature and society.
(d) To kill the white whale.
4. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
(a) He thought that the settlers and natives could work together.
(b) He saw a unique opportunity in the New World.
(c) He thought the New World would improve the settlers.
(d) He thought that the New World could improve the natives.
5. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
(a) As an improved nature.
(b) As a raw material.
(c) As a new nature.
(d) As a domestic industry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it that Jefferson described as a threat to the moral center of democracy?
2. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
3. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
4. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
5. What effect does fire have in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)