|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Thoreau conclude as a result of his time at Walden?
(a) That men should remove themselves from society.
(b) That man should simplify his life.
(c) That technology must be stopped.
(d) That men are desperate and sad.
2. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
(a) Civilization and primitive life.
(b) Comfort and exploration.
(c) Wilderness and domestication.
(d) Corruption and innocence.
3. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
(a) Political intrigue.
(b) Natural spirituality.
(c) American colonization.
(d) Indigenous people.
4. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
5. What should man do in nature, in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Learn the ways of the animals.
(b) Oppose industrialism.
(c) Study the ruthless ways of men.
(d) Contemplate eternal laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. What is Ishmael's task, in Marx's description of Melville's vision in Moby Dick?
3. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
4. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
5. What symbolic statement does Marx say Twain made in the raft being destroyed in Huckleberry Finn?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)