|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Kingdoms of Force.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
2. What would men of understanding provide in Emerson's vision?
3. When was man supposed to return to nature, in Thoreau's vision?
(a) For temporary respites.
(b) On weekends.
(c) For permanent residence.
(d) He should keep nature alive in his cities.
4. What is the most important part of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest', in Marx's estimation?
(a) A political power struggle.
(b) An engagement and marriage.
(c) A conflict over how to use resources.
(d) A conflict over territory.
5. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
Short Answer Questions
1. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
2. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
3. What would people live on, in Gonzalo's ideal world?
4. When did a uniquely American pastoral image emerge?
5. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)