Sleepy Hollow, 1844
1. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
(a) During the French Revolution.
(b) At the Revolution.
(c) At the Industrial Revolution.
(d) At colonization.
2. What did colonists find in America?
(a) Civilized people they could convert to Christianity.
(b) Virgin land.
(c) Infrastructure they could usurp from the natives.
(d) A desert they could transform into a garden.
3. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
(a) To live in the lap of nature.
(b) To turn nature into an industrial resource.
(c) To live out a primitive existence.
(d) To transform nature into an ordered place.
4. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
(a) Green, rural lifestyle.
(b) Domesticating wild things.
(c) The savages' harmony with nature.
(d) Harnessing natural resources.
5. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(c) Urban planners.
6. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Rail trails.
(b) Exploitation of resources.
(d) Relocation to the suburbs.
This section contains 4,801 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)