|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Penelope Bent famous?
(a) She was a popular Tory pundit in the 1970's.
(b) She was the CEO of Union Carbide.
(c) She was Miss World in 1987.
(d) She was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
2. In Chapter 24, Carlinsky tells Nick the FBI found a key in his apartment. What is the key give access to?
(a) An apartment in Baltimore.
(b) A van registered in Maryland.
(c) A cabin in Virginia.
(d) A safe deposit box in Juarez.
3. Why is Polly short-tempered in Chapter 13?
(a) Her ex wants to get back together.
(b) The Moderation Council has been getting bad press.
(c) She might be getting fired.
(d) She has a migraine.
4. What cryptic comment does Gomez O'Neal make to Nick at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) Lay low.
(b) Trust no one.
(c) Meet in public places.
(d) Watch your back.
5. Who does Nick find in his office in Chapter 25?
(a) The FBI.
(d) The Captain.
6. Who does Nick recommend for Lorne's CNN press conference in Chapter 18?
(a) Wolf Blitzer.
(b) Bonnie Dalton.
(c) Christienne Amanpour.
(d) Anderson Cooper.
7. What does the Captain do for Nick at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) He invites him to his summer-home in the Hamptons.
(b) He sends him a bottle of fine bourbon.
(c) He gives him a new television.
(d) He raises his salary.
8. Why is the cab driver nervous about being tailed as he drives Nick in Chapter 25?
(a) He is Muslim.
(b) He does not have a license.
(c) He is a paranoid schizophrenic.
(d) His brother is in the country illegally.
9. What type of farm does Lorne Lutch have?
(a) A cabbage farm.
(b) An avocado farm.
(c) A soybean farm.
(d) A turnip farm.
10. What topic does Bernie the masseuse babble on about in Chapter 17?
(b) The Cold War.
(c) Rain forests.
(d) Exchange rates.
11. What reason does Nick give the viceroy in Chapter 16 for needing to speak in the bathroom?
(a) He wants to avoid being recorded.
(b) He wants to be alone with Viceroy.
(c) He needs to multitask.
(d) He doesn't want Lady Bent to hear.
12. Mentioned in Chapter 23, what is the name of the cigarette's popular in urban communities?
(a) Re-Upp cigarettes.
(b) Death cigarettes.
(c) Game cigarettes.
(d) Psyche cigarettes.
13. What does Nick leave behind when he goes into Lorne's house in Chapter 18?
(a) His son.
(b) The money.
(c) His security.
(d) His gun.
14. How does Nick characterize the money to Lorne Lutch in Chapter 18?
(a) A salary.
(b) A bribe.
(c) A gift.
(d) An investment.
15. In Chapter 13, what words does Sven subliminally embed int he anti-smoking ad he makes for the Academy?
(a) Chicks dig smoke.
(b) Cigarettes are cool.
(c) Light one up.
(d) Smoking is right.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel where Nick is staying in Chapter 17?
2. What do the FBI agents find in Nick's apartment in Chapter 22?
3. What does the Captain say Nick should ask Lutch to do in return for the Academy's money in Chapter 14?
4. In Chapter 15, what idea does Jeannette have when she comes to Nick's office?
5. Which of the following characters does not leave a message for Nick while he is having sex with Jeannette in Chapter 21?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)