|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which John Wayne film does Naylor and his son watch at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) The Longest Day.
(b) Sands of Iwo Jima.
(c) True Grit.
(d) The Shootist.
2. What simple request does Nick Naylor make in Chapter 7 that prompts Gazelle to make a smart comment?
(a) He asks for coffee.
(b) He asks her to collate some papers.
(c) He tells her to hold his calls.
(d) He asks he to get him lunch.
3. What recent surgery has the Captain undergone when Naylor meets him in Chapter 6?
(a) A kidney transplant.
(b) A knee replacement.
(c) A quadruple bypass.
(d) A pace-maker implant.
4. To what actor does Naick compare the voice of the lead nico-terrorist in Chapter 11?
(a) Sidney Greenstreet.
(b) Dennis Hopper.
(c) Peter Lorre.
(d) James Stewart,
5. What type of medical condition has recently been linked to smoking in Chapter 1?
(a) A digestive condition.
(b) A pituitary condition.
(c) A circularoty condition.
(d) A neurological condition.
6. How does Naylor open his appearance on the Oprah show in Chapter 5?
(a) By giving everyone a free pack of cigarettes.
(b) By presents a pie chart.
(c) By shaking Ron Goode's hand.
(d) With a joke.
7. What disguise does the nico-terrorist who sticks a gun in Nick's back in Chapter 11 wear?
(a) A news-stand seller.
(b) A homeless person.
(c) A security guard.
(d) A cab driver.
8. What international issue is Bailey's ex-boyfriend Hector fiercely concerned about?
(a) Global warming.
(c) Debt forgiveness.
9. In the Prologue, what does the autocrat in Naylor's story do to those caught selling tobacco?
(a) He cuts off their hands.
(b) He burns them alive.
(c) He beheads them.
(d) He imprisons them.
10. Which of the following is a historic event that popularized smoking cited by by Naylor in Chapter 4?
(a) World War I.
(b) Development of modern grocery stores.
(c) The advent of television.
(d) Air travel.
11. In what city does Nick Naylor live?
(a) New York.
(b) Washington D.C.
12. In what House Committee did Polly Bailey begin her Washington, D.C. career?
(a) Ways and Means.
13. What does B.R. not do that is odd given his position at the Academy?
(a) He does not travel by air.
(b) He does not watch press conferences.
(c) He does not smoke.
(d) He does not read.
14. Which periodical requesting a quote from Nick Naylor in Chapter 1 annoys him?
(a) USA Today.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The Cleveland Plain-Dealer.
(d) Time Magazine.
15. What uncharacteristic act does BR take regarding Nick at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) He gives him the day off.
(b) He publicly thanks him.
(c) He apologizes.
(d) He hugs him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which coworker comes to Naylor's office with overly-excited praise in Chapter 7?
2. Why is Nick feeling groggy in Chapter 11?
3. What is the topic of the story of the audience member who interrupts Nick Naylor at the conference in the Prologue?
4. What does Nick Naylor always eat at the MOD Squad lunches?
5. Which famous public figure recently had a sex scandal explode in the restaurant where Nick meets Heather Holloway in Chapter 9?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)