|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What controversial move has Nick Naylor long been making regarding tobacco's public image?
(a) He wants to admit cigarettes are a health risk.
(b) He wants to say cigarettes are a good source of calcium.
(c) He wants to pay politicians to smoke in their ads.
(d) He wants to freeze all public statements.
2. What is Gazelle's position at the Academy?
(a) Chief Financial Officer.
(b) Head of the Reasearch Division.
(c) A lower-level spokesperson.
(d) Nick Naylor's assistant.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what does the Captain insist be done for Nick?
(a) He be given a security detail.
(b) He be moved to another office.
(c) He be given a gun.
(d) He be put on temporary leave.
4. What does Bliss remember most clearly about Heather Holloway in Chapter 7?
(a) Her laugh.
(b) Her feet.
(c) Her body.
(d) Her perfume.
5. What event prompted Bliss to join the military in the 1960's?
(a) The assassination of Robert Kennedy.
(b) The Tet Offensive.
(c) The Kent State shootings.
6. What game does Nick play as he drives to St. Euthanasius in Chapter 10?
(a) He tries to make only left turns.
(b) He looks for him name mentioned on AM radio.
(c) He tries to lose his security detail.
(d) He tries to find a Bee Gees song on the radio.
7. In Chapter 9, what words does Heather use to describe Nick's assertion that he works for tobacco to pay the rent?
(a) Yuppie Nuremberg defense.
(b) The moral equivalency principle.
(c) Fantastical disassociation.
(d) Aww-shucks rationalization.
8. From what state is the caller who announces he will kill Nick Naylor in Chapter 8?
(d) New York.
9. What is St. Euthanasius?
(a) Nick's son's boarding school.
(b) The church where Nick was married.
(c) Nick Naylor's alma mater.
(d) A DC hospital where a young boy is dying of lung cancer.
10. From what empire is the autocrat that Naylor cites in the prologue?
(a) The Mongolian Empire.
(b) The Ottoman Empire.
(c) The Ming Dynasty.
(d) The Roman Empire.
11. What is written on the sign the nico-terrorist put on Nick in Chapter 12?
(a) Please Deliver to Hell.
(b) Executed for Crimes Against Humanity.
(c) King of the Liars.
(d) Sic Septer Tyranus.
12. What does Polly Bailey say her beer wholesalers are coming to Washington to protest in Chapter 2?
(a) A new excise tax.
(b) Higher fuel rates.
(c) Dry county legislation.
(d) Stricter transportation laws.
13. What is the topic of the story of the audience member who interrupts Nick Naylor at the conference in the Prologue?
(a) A relative who died of lung cancer.
(b) Her own struggle with lung disease.
(c) A friend who lost a jaw from chewing tobacco.
(d) A parent who had emphesema.
14. At the end of Chapter 9, what does Heather say attracts her to Nick?
(a) His absence of morality.
(b) His gift for rationalization.
(c) The way he smokes.
(d) His preternatural cool.
15. Which governmental agency has recently released a damning report regarding second-hand smoke at the beginning of Chapter 11?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which coworker comes to Naylor's office with overly-excited praise in Chapter 7?
2. Sammy Najeeb is a producer for what news program?
3. In Chapter 2, what does Naylor suspect BR wants to do with his job?
4. According to the cardiologist in Chapter 12, why did Nick survive the massive dose of nicotine?
5. Who else is on the panel on which Naylor sits in the Prologue?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)