|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of medical condition has recently been linked to smoking in Chapter 1?
(a) A circularoty condition.
(b) A neurological condition.
(c) A pituitary condition.
(d) A digestive condition.
2. Which of the following is a historic event that popularized smoking cited by by Naylor in Chapter 4?
(a) World War I.
(b) The advent of television.
(c) Development of modern grocery stores.
(d) Air travel.
3. In Chapter 2, what does Naylor suspect BR wants to do with his job?
(a) Outsource it to a consultancy.
(b) Take it for himself.
(c) Do away with it.
(d) Give it to an ambitious colleague.
4. What uncharacteristic act does BR take regarding Nick at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) He publicly thanks him.
(b) He hugs him.
(c) He gives him the day off.
(d) He apologizes.
5. What is Nick Naylor's title at the Academy of Tobacco Studies?
(a) Consituent Service Coordinator.
(b) Executive VP for Public Relations.
(c) Chief Spokesperson.
(d) Head of Media Interfacing.
6. Who else is on the panel on which Naylor sits in the Prologue?
(a) Anti-smoking proponents.
(b) Tobacco executives.
(c) Marketing analysts.
7. What is the topic of the story of the audience member who interrupts Nick Naylor at the conference in the Prologue?
(a) Her own struggle with lung disease.
(b) A parent who had emphesema.
(c) A relative who died of lung cancer.
(d) A friend who lost a jaw from chewing tobacco.
8. At the beginning of Chapter 9, what does the Captain insist be done for Nick?
(a) He be put on temporary leave.
(b) He be moved to another office.
(c) He be given a gun.
(d) He be given a security detail.
9. What controversial move has Nick Naylor long been making regarding tobacco's public image?
(a) He wants to admit cigarettes are a health risk.
(b) He wants to freeze all public statements.
(c) He wants to pay politicians to smoke in their ads.
(d) He wants to say cigarettes are a good source of calcium.
10. What does Bobby Jay Bliss warn Naylor about Heather in Chapter 7?
(a) Don't offer to pay for dinner.
(b) Don't sleep with her.
(c) Don't get drunk around her.
(d) Don't speak off the record.
11. What news did Naylor accidentally announce on air as a television announcer?
(a) A space-shuttle explosion.
(b) A major earthquake in California.
(c) The death of the President.
(d) The launching of a nuclear strike.
12. Where does the Captain recommend Nick go as soon as possible in Chapter 9?
(a) New York.
(d) Los Angeles.
13. Which John Wayne film does Naylor and his son watch at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) The Shootist.
(b) The Longest Day.
(c) True Grit.
(d) Sands of Iwo Jima.
14. At the end of Chapter 4, BR asks Naylor to mention what on Oprah?
(a) The Captain's daughter's wedding.
(b) Jeannette's promotion.
(c) A new study linking smoking to lower cholesterol.
(d) Their new anti-smoking campaign.
15. In what city does Nick Naylor live?
(c) Washington D.C.
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Nick feeling groggy in Chapter 11?
2. In Chapter 9, what words does Heather use to describe Nick's assertion that he works for tobacco to pay the rent?
3. What simple request does Nick Naylor make in Chapter 7 that prompts Gazelle to make a smart comment?
4. What is written on the sign the nico-terrorist put on Nick in Chapter 12?
5. What plan does the Captain tell Naylor that BR has come up with in Chapter 6?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)