|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which periodical requesting a quote from Nick Naylor in Chapter 1 annoys him?
(a) Time Magazine.
(b) USA Today.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) The Cleveland Plain-Dealer.
2. In Chapter 3, who asks Naylor for a meeting in two weeks?
(b) Reverend Griggs.
(c) Gordon Craighead.
3. In the Prologue, what does the autocrat in Naylor's story do to those caught selling tobacco?
(a) He cuts off their hands.
(b) He imprisons them.
(c) He beheads them.
(d) He burns them alive.
4. In Chapter 5, who is Naylor is seated onstage next?
(a) Ron Goode.
(c) Gordon Craighead.
(d) A kid dying of cancer.
5. What does Polly Bailey say her beer wholesalers are coming to Washington to protest in Chapter 2?
(a) A new excise tax.
(b) Dry county legislation.
(c) Stricter transportation laws.
(d) Higher fuel rates.
6. What does Bobby Jay Bliss warn Naylor about Heather in Chapter 7?
(a) Don't sleep with her.
(b) Don't speak off the record.
(c) Don't offer to pay for dinner.
(d) Don't get drunk around her.
7. What two talking points does Naylor cite in Chapter 1's call to a dubious periodical?
(a) Poorly-trained researchers and poorly-worded surveys.
(b) Hidden health benefits and internal corruption.
(c) Insufficient test groups and foregone conclusions.
(d) Divergent medical opinions and anti-industry bias.
8. With what fictional newspaper does Heather Holloway have an interview coming up in Chapter 12?
(a) New York Courier.
(b) Los Angeles Press.
(c) Washington Sun.
(d) Baltimore Reader.
9. What is BR's reaction to Naylor's idea of reintroducing smoking in movies in Chapter 4?
(a) He is underwhelmed.
(b) He is livid.
(c) He is compelled.
(d) He is energized.
10. What recent surgery has the Captain undergone when Naylor meets him in Chapter 6?
(a) A pace-maker implant.
(b) A quadruple bypass.
(c) A knee replacement.
(d) A kidney transplant.
11. What creative way does a man say he will kill Naylor in a message given to him by Gazelle in Chapter 7?
(a) Tie him to four horses and geeing them up.
(b) Skin him alive.
(c) Bury him to his neck by an anthill.
(d) Pouring tar down his throat.
12. What reason does Naylor give the Captain for working at the Academy in Chapter 6?
(a) He never wants to leae Washington, DC.
(b) He needs the money.
(c) He likes the challenge.
(d) He loves cigarettes.
13. What was Lorne Lutch's occupation before he got cancer?
(a) Tobacco executive.
(b) Tobacco farmer.
(d) Cigarette advertising icon.
14. In Chapter 9, what does Heather tell Nick is the topic of her article?
(b) Public relations challenges.
(c) Faustian bargains.
(d) The tobacco industry.
15. What airport is Naylor in when BR calls him in Chapter 6?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of medical condition has recently been linked to smoking in Chapter 1?
2. What request does Reverend Griggs make of Naylor in Chapter 10?
3. In what state did the shooting that Bobby Jay Bliss is trying to spin in Chapter 2 take place?
4. What is found in the mad shooter's car in at the end of Chapter 2?
5. How does Naylor return to Washington D.C. at the end of Chapter 6?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)