|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 4, BR asks Naylor to mention what on Oprah?
(a) Jeannette's promotion.
(b) The Captain's daughter's wedding.
(c) Their new anti-smoking campaign.
(d) A new study linking smoking to lower cholesterol.
2. In Chapter 2, what does Naylor suspect BR wants to do with his job?
(a) Take it for himself.
(b) Give it to an ambitious colleague.
(c) Outsource it to a consultancy.
(d) Do away with it.
3. From what empire is the autocrat that Naylor cites in the prologue?
(a) The Ming Dynasty.
(b) The Ottoman Empire.
(c) The Roman Empire.
(d) The Mongolian Empire.
4. What recent surgery has the Captain undergone when Naylor meets him in Chapter 6?
(a) A kidney transplant.
(b) A quadruple bypass.
(c) A knee replacement.
(d) A pace-maker implant.
5. What is St. Euthanasius?
(a) Nick Naylor's alma mater.
(b) A DC hospital where a young boy is dying of lung cancer.
(c) Nick's son's boarding school.
(d) The church where Nick was married.
6. At the end of Chapter 9, what does Heather say attracts her to Nick?
(a) The way he smokes.
(b) His preternatural cool.
(c) His gift for rationalization.
(d) His absence of morality.
7. For what organization did Carlton used to work?
(a) Department of Defense.
8. What creative way does a man say he will kill Naylor in a message given to him by Gazelle in Chapter 7?
(a) Skin him alive.
(b) Tie him to four horses and geeing them up.
(c) Pouring tar down his throat.
(d) Bury him to his neck by an anthill.
9. In Chapter 1, what adjective does B.R. use to describe Naylor's style of public relations?
10. In Chapter 12, what do the two D.C. policeman think Nick is?
(a) A pile of garbage.
(b) A junkie.
(c) A dog.
(d) A drunk congressman.
11. What two talking points does Naylor cite in Chapter 1's call to a dubious periodical?
(a) Insufficient test groups and foregone conclusions.
(b) Divergent medical opinions and anti-industry bias.
(c) Poorly-trained researchers and poorly-worded surveys.
(d) Hidden health benefits and internal corruption.
12. What plan does the Captain tell Naylor that BR has come up with in Chapter 6?
(a) Making Jennette a co-spokesperson.
(b) Reintroducing cigarettes in movies.
(c) Starting a cigarette-funded news outlet.
(d) Making candy cigarettes.
13. With what fictional newspaper does Heather Holloway have an interview coming up in Chapter 12?
(a) Baltimore Reader.
(b) Washington Sun.
(c) New York Courier.
(d) Los Angeles Press.
14. What request from Nick does Polly turn down at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) A drink.
(b) A loan of 2,500 dollars.
(c) A kiss.
(d) A ride home.
15. What is written on the sign the nico-terrorist put on Nick in Chapter 12?
(a) King of the Liars.
(b) Please Deliver to Hell.
(c) Sic Septer Tyranus.
(d) Executed for Crimes Against Humanity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What international issue is Bailey's ex-boyfriend Hector fiercely concerned about?
2. Which lobby is not represented regularly in the MOD Squad lunches?
3. In Chapter 3, who asks Naylor for a meeting in two weeks?
4. What disguise does the nico-terrorist who sticks a gun in Nick's back in Chapter 11 wear?
5. Which periodical requesting a quote from Nick Naylor in Chapter 1 annoys him?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)