|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the cardiologist in Chapter 12, why did Nick survive the massive dose of nicotine?
(a) He is a heavy smoker.
(b) He was wearing sun tan lotion.
(c) He was medicated with pain killers.
(d) He had too much coffee in his system.
2. Which Nazi leader does Gordon Craighead compare Nick to in Heather's article?
(a) Joseph Goebbels.
(b) Adolf Eichmann.
(c) Albert Speer.
(d) Martin Bormann.
3. What two talking points does Naylor cite in Chapter 1's call to a dubious periodical?
(a) Hidden health benefits and internal corruption.
(b) Insufficient test groups and foregone conclusions.
(c) Divergent medical opinions and anti-industry bias.
(d) Poorly-trained researchers and poorly-worded surveys.
4. Why did Polly Bailey move from a Representative's office to the Moderation Council?
(a) She was passed over for a promotion.
(b) The Representative made a pass at her.
(c) She became disenchanted with politics.
(d) She needed to make a change in her life.
5. What airport is Naylor in when BR calls him in Chapter 6?
6. In Chapter 2, what contention does the shooting survivor Bliss interviews make?
(a) Guns are a blight on society.
(b) The lunatic should never have been given a license.
(c) She is a better marksman than the killer.
(d) The tragedy could be avoided if she had a gun.
7. Which of the following is a historic event that popularized smoking cited by by Naylor in Chapter 4?
(a) World War I.
(b) Development of modern grocery stores.
(c) The advent of television.
(d) Air travel.
8. What does Nick imagine the two FBI agents interviewing him in Chapter 12 doing?
(a) Burning down the hospital.
(b) Kissing each other.
(c) Killing his assailants.
(d) Colluding with BR.
9. What is the topic of the story of the audience member who interrupts Nick Naylor at the conference in the Prologue?
(a) A parent who had emphesema.
(b) A relative who died of lung cancer.
(c) Her own struggle with lung disease.
(d) A friend who lost a jaw from chewing tobacco.
10. What uncharacteristic act does BR take regarding Nick at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) He hugs him.
(b) He publicly thanks him.
(c) He gives him the day off.
(d) He apologizes.
11. What does BR refuse from Naylor at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(b) Small talk.
(c) A bribe.
(d) A cigarette.
12. What recent surgery has the Captain undergone when Naylor meets him in Chapter 6?
(a) A pace-maker implant.
(b) A kidney transplant.
(c) A quadruple bypass.
(d) A knee replacement.
13. At the end of Chapter 9, what does Heather say attracts her to Nick?
(a) His gift for rationalization.
(b) His absence of morality.
(c) The way he smokes.
(d) His preternatural cool.
14. Who else is on the panel on which Naylor sits in the Prologue?
(a) Tobacco executives.
(c) Marketing analysts.
(d) Anti-smoking proponents.
15. What plan does the Captain tell Naylor that BR has come up with in Chapter 6?
(a) Making Jennette a co-spokesperson.
(b) Reintroducing cigarettes in movies.
(c) Starting a cigarette-funded news outlet.
(d) Making candy cigarettes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is found in the mad shooter's car in at the end of Chapter 2?
2. To whom is Bliss sending the video he made in Chapter 2?
3. What simple request does Nick Naylor make in Chapter 7 that prompts Gazelle to make a smart comment?
4. How long does B.R. give Naylor to come up with a new media plan for the Academy?
5. What fictional newspaper does Heather Holloway work for?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)