|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what actor does Naick compare the voice of the lead nico-terrorist in Chapter 11?
(a) Peter Lorre.
(b) Dennis Hopper.
(c) James Stewart,
(d) Sidney Greenstreet.
2. In Chapter 1, how does Nick characterize JJ Hollister?
(a) An old tobacco-man.
(b) A corporate hack.
(c) A belligerant drunk.
(d) A ghost of a human being.
3. With what television journalist does Polly have an interview regarding fetal alcohol syndrome in Chapter 7?
(a) Tim Russert.
(b) Barbara Walters.
(c) Mike Wallace.
(d) Diane Sawyer.
4. What recent surgery has the Captain undergone when Naylor meets him in Chapter 6?
(a) A quadruple bypass.
(b) A kidney transplant.
(c) A pace-maker implant.
(d) A knee replacement.
5. In Chapter 7, what does Naylor say he regrets regarding Gazelle?
(a) Yelling at her.
(b) Hiring her.
(c) Meeting her children.
(d) Sleeping with her.
6. What city does the Captain live and work in?
7. What international issue is Bailey's ex-boyfriend Hector fiercely concerned about?
(b) Debt forgiveness.
(c) Global warming.
8. Who interviews Nick at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) Paula Zahn.
(b) Katie Couric.
(c) Dan Rather.
(d) Ed Bradley.
9. At the end of Chapter 4, BR asks Naylor to mention what on Oprah?
(a) Jeannette's promotion.
(b) The Captain's daughter's wedding.
(c) Their new anti-smoking campaign.
(d) A new study linking smoking to lower cholesterol.
10. In Chapter 9, what words does Heather use to describe Nick's assertion that he works for tobacco to pay the rent?
(a) Aww-shucks rationalization.
(b) The moral equivalency principle.
(c) Yuppie Nuremberg defense.
(d) Fantastical disassociation.
11. What type of medical specialist does Nick see in Chapter 10?
(a) An osteopath.
(b) A optometrist.
(c) A cardiologist.
(d) A gastroentrologist.
12. What request from Nick does Polly turn down at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) A drink.
(b) A kiss.
(c) A ride home.
(d) A loan of 2,500 dollars.
13. What does Naylor accuse people like Ron Goode of in Chapter 5?
(a) Profiting from children's deaths.
(b) Wasting taxpayer money.
(c) Falsifying data.
(d) Assisting in the sales of cigarettes.
14. What type of medical condition has recently been linked to smoking in Chapter 1?
(a) A pituitary condition.
(b) A digestive condition.
(c) A neurological condition.
(d) A circularoty condition.
15. Which of the following is a historic event that popularized smoking cited by by Naylor in Chapter 4?
(a) Air travel.
(b) World War I.
(c) Development of modern grocery stores.
(d) The advent of television.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Nick feeling groggy in Chapter 11?
2. Who else is on the panel on which Naylor sits in the Prologue?
3. What drink does the Captain insist Nick Naylor join him in?
4. According to the cardiologist in Chapter 12, why did Nick survive the massive dose of nicotine?
5. What was Lorne Lutch's occupation before he got cancer?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)