|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What simple request does Nick Naylor make in Chapter 7 that prompts Gazelle to make a smart comment?
(a) He asks for coffee.
(b) He asks her to collate some papers.
(c) He asks he to get him lunch.
(d) He tells her to hold his calls.
2. What is the topic of the story of the audience member who interrupts Nick Naylor at the conference in the Prologue?
(a) A relative who died of lung cancer.
(b) A parent who had emphesema.
(c) A friend who lost a jaw from chewing tobacco.
(d) Her own struggle with lung disease.
3. What city does the Captain live and work in?
4. From what empire is the autocrat that Naylor cites in the prologue?
(a) The Roman Empire.
(b) The Ottoman Empire.
(c) The Ming Dynasty.
(d) The Mongolian Empire.
5. What game does Nick play as he drives to St. Euthanasius in Chapter 10?
(a) He looks for him name mentioned on AM radio.
(b) He tries to lose his security detail.
(c) He tries to make only left turns.
(d) He tries to find a Bee Gees song on the radio.
6. What news did Naylor accidentally announce on air as a television announcer?
(a) The launching of a nuclear strike.
(b) The death of the President.
(c) A space-shuttle explosion.
(d) A major earthquake in California.
7. In the Prologue, what does the autocrat in Naylor's story do to those caught selling tobacco?
(a) He cuts off their hands.
(b) He imprisons them.
(c) He burns them alive.
(d) He beheads them.
8. Where does the Captain recommend Nick go as soon as possible in Chapter 9?
(c) New York.
(d) Los Angeles.
9. In Chapter 12, what do the two D.C. policeman think Nick is?
(a) A pile of garbage.
(b) A dog.
(c) A junkie.
(d) A drunk congressman.
10. According to the cardiologist in Chapter 12, why did Nick survive the massive dose of nicotine?
(a) He was wearing sun tan lotion.
(b) He is a heavy smoker.
(c) He was medicated with pain killers.
(d) He had too much coffee in his system.
11. What is the name of the organization to which Gordon Craighead belongs?
(a) Coalition to End Drunk Driving.
(b) Office of Substance Abuse Prevention.
(c) Committee for Responsible Living.
(d) Temperance International.
12. What is St. Euthanasius?
(a) Nick's son's boarding school.
(b) The church where Nick was married.
(c) A DC hospital where a young boy is dying of lung cancer.
(d) Nick Naylor's alma mater.
13. At the end of Chapter 5, how much money does Naylor say the Academy is committing to a campaign to stop underage smoking?
(a) Five million dollars.
(b) One hundred thousand dollars.
(c) One billion dollars.
(d) Five hundred thousand dollars.
14. At the end of Chapter 9, what does Heather say attracts her to Nick?
(a) His absence of morality.
(b) His gift for rationalization.
(c) His preternatural cool.
(d) The way he smokes.
15. What international issue is Bailey's ex-boyfriend Hector fiercely concerned about?
(b) Global warming.
(d) Debt forgiveness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bobby Jay Bliss warn Naylor about Heather in Chapter 7?
2. How many nicotine patches are put on Nick's body in Chapter 11?
3. What event prompted Bliss to join the military in the 1960's?
4. How does Naylor open his appearance on the Oprah show in Chapter 5?
5. What fictional newspaper does Heather Holloway work for?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)