|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, how does Nick characterize JJ Hollister?
(a) A corporate hack.
(b) A ghost of a human being.
(c) A belligerant drunk.
(d) An old tobacco-man.
2. What does BR refuse from Naylor at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) A cigarette.
(b) A bribe.
(d) Small talk.
3. How long does B.R. give Naylor to come up with a new media plan for the Academy?
(a) One month.
(b) The weekend.
(c) One day.
(d) Two weeks.
4. What simple request does Nick Naylor make in Chapter 7 that prompts Gazelle to make a smart comment?
(a) He asks he to get him lunch.
(b) He asks for coffee.
(c) He asks her to collate some papers.
(d) He tells her to hold his calls.
5. According to the cardiologist in Chapter 12, why did Nick survive the massive dose of nicotine?
(a) He is a heavy smoker.
(b) He had too much coffee in his system.
(c) He was medicated with pain killers.
(d) He was wearing sun tan lotion.
6. Which John Wayne film does Naylor and his son watch at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) True Grit.
(b) The Shootist.
(c) The Longest Day.
(d) Sands of Iwo Jima.
7. What does Polly Bailey say her beer wholesalers are coming to Washington to protest in Chapter 2?
(a) Stricter transportation laws.
(b) Dry county legislation.
(c) A new excise tax.
(d) Higher fuel rates.
8. In what House Committee did Polly Bailey begin her Washington, D.C. career?
(a) Ways and Means.
9. What does Nick imagine the two FBI agents interviewing him in Chapter 12 doing?
(a) Burning down the hospital.
(b) Killing his assailants.
(c) Kissing each other.
(d) Colluding with BR.
10. What is the name of the conference at which Naylor is speaking in the Prologue?
(a) 3rd Annual Pulmonary Disease Institute Conference.
(b) Clean Lungs 2000.
(d) Smoke-Out United.
11. Which governmental agency has recently released a damning report regarding second-hand smoke at the beginning of Chapter 11?
12. Which famous public figure recently had a sex scandal explode in the restaurant where Nick meets Heather Holloway in Chapter 9?
(a) Gordon Craighead.
(b) Jeff Megall.
(c) Lorne Lutch.
(d) Senator Finisterre.
13. For what organization did Carlton used to work?
(b) Department of Defense.
14. According to Naylor in Chapter 4, what invention in movies popularized smoking in them?
(b) Modern editing.
15. What does the MOD Squad regularly sneak Nick in Chapter 12?
(a) Food from Berts.
(b) Articles about him.
(c) FBI reports.
Short Answer Questions
1. What criticism does Naylor make to Sven about the marketing campaign in Chapter 7?
2. What does B.R. not do that is odd given his position at the Academy?
3. Which of the following is an aspect that makes Polly Bailey particularly attractive?
4. From what state is the caller who announces he will kill Nick Naylor in Chapter 8?
5. At the end of Chapter 9, what does Heather say attracts her to Nick?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)