|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What popular television show is Naylor invited on in Chapter 3?
(a) The Maclaughlin Group.
(c) The Tonight Show.
2. What is the topic of the story of the audience member who interrupts Nick Naylor at the conference in the Prologue?
(a) Her own struggle with lung disease.
(b) A relative who died of lung cancer.
(c) A parent who had emphesema.
(d) A friend who lost a jaw from chewing tobacco.
3. What criticism does Naylor make to Sven about the marketing campaign in Chapter 7?
(a) It needs to be less colorful.
(b) It needs to be more wordy.
(c) It needs to be more diversely populated.
(d) It needs to be less effective.
4. From what empire is the autocrat that Naylor cites in the prologue?
(a) The Roman Empire.
(b) The Mongolian Empire.
(c) The Ottoman Empire.
(d) The Ming Dynasty.
5. What fictional newspaper does Heather Holloway work for?
(a) Washington Moon.
(b) Washington Courier.
(c) Washington Dealer.
(d) Washington Sentinel.
6. In Chapter 12, what do the two D.C. policeman think Nick is?
(a) A dog.
(b) A pile of garbage.
(c) A drunk congressman.
(d) A junkie.
7. What is St. Euthanasius?
(a) The church where Nick was married.
(b) Nick's son's boarding school.
(c) Nick Naylor's alma mater.
(d) A DC hospital where a young boy is dying of lung cancer.
8. What type of medical specialist does Nick see in Chapter 10?
(a) A gastroentrologist.
(b) An osteopath.
(c) A cardiologist.
(d) A optometrist.
9. What event prompted Bliss to join the military in the 1960's?
(b) The assassination of Robert Kennedy.
(c) The Tet Offensive.
(d) The Kent State shootings.
10. What was Lorne Lutch's occupation before he got cancer?
(b) Tobacco farmer.
(c) Cigarette advertising icon.
(d) Tobacco executive.
11. What simple request does Nick Naylor make in Chapter 7 that prompts Gazelle to make a smart comment?
(a) He tells her to hold his calls.
(b) He asks her to collate some papers.
(c) He asks he to get him lunch.
(d) He asks for coffee.
12. In Chapter 9, what does Heather tell Nick is the topic of her article?
(a) Faustian bargains.
(c) Public relations challenges.
(d) The tobacco industry.
13. With what television journalist does Polly have an interview regarding fetal alcohol syndrome in Chapter 7?
(a) Barbara Walters.
(b) Tim Russert.
(c) Diane Sawyer.
(d) Mike Wallace.
14. At the end of Chapter 5, how much money does Naylor say the Academy is committing to a campaign to stop underage smoking?
(a) One hundred thousand dollars.
(b) Five million dollars.
(c) One billion dollars.
(d) Five hundred thousand dollars.
15. What drink does the Captain insist Nick Naylor join him in?
(a) An old-fashioned.
(b) A scotch and water.
(c) A mint julep.
(d) A bloody mary.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what does Naylor say he regrets regarding Gazelle?
2. What type of medical condition has recently been linked to smoking in Chapter 1?
3. With what fictional newspaper does Heather Holloway have an interview coming up in Chapter 12?
4. How does Oprah treat Nick Naylor backstage in Chapter 5?
5. What two talking points does Naylor cite in Chapter 1's call to a dubious periodical?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)