Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bakhtin asserts that in Rabelais' time, food and banquets always contained a sense of:
2. What are the three categories of the "comic" which Bakhtin cites from Schneegans?
3. What episode does Bakhtin cite as exemplifying the image of the gaping mouth prevalent in Rabelais' novel?
4. According to Bakhtin, Carnival was the true symbol and incarnation of:
5. Which grotesque elements does Bakhtin note were included in the procession of the feast of Corpus Christi?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meaning and significance of "grotesque realism." How is it manifested in Rabelais' time? How is the material body presented in the tradition of the grotesque? Why does Bakhtin connect folk culture so closely with the grotesque? Use examples from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of debasement in Medieval and Renaissance folk culture. How was debasement associated with the lower stratum of the body? Who or what were targets of debasement? How was debasement or degradation accomplished? How is humor associated with debasement? What is the ambivalent nature of debasement in folk culture?
Essay Topic 3
What roles do games play in Rabelais' novel and in the Renaissance? Discuss how games and gaming fulfill an "unofficial" social role as opposed to an "official" one. What images, traditions, and symbols does Bakhtin associate them with? How are games representative of folk culture? How did games and gaming change after the Renaissance?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)