|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Rabelais' novel, the words "to die" are closely associated with:
2. What happened to Rabelais after his novel was published?
3. Bakhtin generally finds Goethe's sense of Carnival's _____________ to agree with his own views.
4. Bakhtin asserts that "The Play in the Bower" influenced Rabelais' work specifically in its:
5. Bakhtin asserts that Rabelais' grotesque conception of the body reflected:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the logic of the grotesque ignore the closed surfaces of the body?
2. What is the significance of the figure of the androgyne in Rabelais' novel?
3. Which elements of Villon and Tappecoue's (Ticklepecker's) episode make it a "tragic farce"?
4. Discuss the significance of Gargantua's birth.
5. How do the Medieval and Renaissance pictures of the cosmos differ?
6. What is the significance of Friar John's description of the monastery belfry as "fecund"?
7. Why does Bakhtin assert that we cannot make the mistake of interpreting Rabelais' images of the material body lower stratum with our modern sensibilities?
8. Why does Bakhtin choose to relate Goethe to Rabelais' work?
9. How did games and gaming change after the Renaissance?
10. How does Rabelais strengthen the exaggerated themes of his grotesque realism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of debasement in Medieval and Renaissance folk culture. How was debasement associated with the lower stratum of the body? Who or what were targets of debasement? How was debasement or degradation accomplished? How is humor associated with debasement? What is the ambivalent nature of debasement in folk culture?
Essay Topic 2
What connections do Bakhtin and the authors of the Foreword and the Prologue draw between Bakhtin and Rabelais? How were their lives and times similar? What common themes are evident in their writing? In which important ways do they differ?
Essay Topic 3
What roles do games play in Rabelais' novel and in the Renaissance? Discuss how games and gaming fulfill an "unofficial" social role as opposed to an "official" one. What images, traditions, and symbols does Bakhtin associate them with? How are games representative of folk culture? How did games and gaming change after the Renaissance?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)