|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gargamelle gives birth to Gargantua as a result of:
2. What is the theme of "cuckoldry"?
3. What does Bakhtin argue is the relationship between the death of Tappecoue and the episode of the Catchpoles?
4. How does Bakhtin interpret Rabelais' work as a response to the hardships of France in 1532?
5. What is revealed in images of "negation"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the connection between the banquet and speech?
2. What is the significance of Friar John's description of the monastery belfry as "fecund"?
3. Discuss the significance of Gargantua's birth.
4. How did games and gaming change after the Renaissance?
5. What is the role of games in Rabelais' work?
6. Briefly describe the two opposing lines of thought in the "querelle des femmes."
7. Which elements of Villon and Tappecoue's (Ticklepecker's) episode make it a "tragic farce"?
8. What is the significance of the two Russian eras of history to which Bakhtin refers in Chapter Three?
9. Why is the "Hippocratic Anthology" significant to Rabelais' work?
10. What was "prandial libertinism"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is significant about the marketplace in the Renaissance? What is its relation to folk culture? How are social relationships conducted in the environment of the marketplace? How are the "street cries" significant aspects of folk culture? What other "unofficial" elements of communication, social commentary, and social interaction are especially prevalent in the marketplace? Are there any carnivalesque elements of the marketplace?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of debasement in Medieval and Renaissance folk culture. How was debasement associated with the lower stratum of the body? Who or what were targets of debasement? How was debasement or degradation accomplished? How is humor associated with debasement? What is the ambivalent nature of debasement in folk culture?
Essay Topic 3
What connections do Bakhtin and the authors of the Foreword and the Prologue draw between Bakhtin and Rabelais? How were their lives and times similar? What common themes are evident in their writing? In which important ways do they differ?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)