|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the image of woman in the Renaissance popular comic tradition?
2. What body part is most often used in grotesque caricatures of sexual potency?
3. After Rabelais' time, what happens to the "body" as a general social idea?
4. Bakhtin defines the early French work "The Play in the Bower" as a:
5. In Rabelais' novel, the words "to die" are closely associated with:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meaning and significance of "grotesque realism." How is it manifested in Rabelais' time? How is the material body presented in the tradition of the grotesque? Why does Bakhtin connect folk culture so closely with the grotesque? Use examples from the text to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the nature of Medieval and Renaissance popular dramatic forms. On what occasions were performances held? What genre were these performances, and what was their common subject matter? What does Bakhtin mean when he asserts that such performances had no "footlights"? Citing examples from the text, explore the theme of universalism in these dramas.
Essay Topic 3
What role or roles do banquet images play in Rabelais' novel? How are they connected to popular-festive forms? How does Bakhtin interpret the material body in Rabelais' banquet imagery? How do banquets, eating, and drinking express folk culture? Refer to examples from the text.
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)