|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gargantua's letter to Pantagruel challenge and attempt to change Catholic dogma?
2. In which element of Shakespeare's dramas does Bakhtin see the overall theme of Rabelais' carnivalesque repeated?
3. According to Schneegans, what is the grotesque in art?
4. What happened to Rabelais after his novel was published?
5. After Rabelais' time, what happens to the "body" as a general social idea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a "blazon"? How are blazons part of the carnivalesque and grotesque traditions of folk humor? What sorts of people or things were turned into blazons, and why? How is the theme of duality related to the blazon? How does Rabelais employ blazons in his novel?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term "carnivalesque" as Bakhtin uses it. Then, demonstrate this definition by applying it to at least two of the episodes, characters, or scenes which take place in Rabelais' novel. What does the carnivalesque demonstrate about the nature of folk culture? What role does humor play in the carnivalesque?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meaning and significance of "grotesque realism." How is it manifested in Rabelais' time? How is the material body presented in the tradition of the grotesque? Why does Bakhtin connect folk culture so closely with the grotesque? Use examples from the text to support your points.
This section contains 1,352 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)