|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gargamelle gives birth to Gargantua as a result of:
2. Bakhtin asserts that in the episode of Gargantua's birth, the dividing lines between _______ are erased.
3. What are examples of that which Bakhtin calls "cosmic terrors"?
4. Bakhtin asserts that the spirit of Carnival is essentially:
5. Why was gaming very important in the Renaissance?
Essay Topic 1
What is significant about the marketplace in the Renaissance? What is its relation to folk culture? How are social relationships conducted in the environment of the marketplace? How are the "street cries" significant aspects of folk culture? What other "unofficial" elements of communication, social commentary, and social interaction are especially prevalent in the marketplace? Are there any carnivalesque elements of the marketplace?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term "carnivalesque" as Bakhtin uses it. Then, demonstrate this definition by applying it to at least two of the episodes, characters, or scenes which take place in Rabelais' novel. What does the carnivalesque demonstrate about the nature of folk culture? What role does humor play in the carnivalesque?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of debasement in Medieval and Renaissance folk culture. How was debasement associated with the lower stratum of the body? Who or what were targets of debasement? How was debasement or degradation accomplished? How is humor associated with debasement? What is the ambivalent nature of debasement in folk culture?
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)