|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rabelais parody in his response to the episode of Gargantua's birth?
(a) The Medieval doctrine of faith.
(b) The Christian doctrine of submission.
(c) The Renaissance philosophy of humanism.
(d) The Classical philosophy of stoicism.
2. Bakhtin defines Rabelais' giants as:
(a) Debased clowns.
(b) Subhuman creatures.
(c) Divine images.
(d) Grotesque figures.
3. The defense of the abbey by Friar John contains:
(a) A caricature of the Pope.
(b) A debasing description of the French people.
(c) A grotesque combination of sexual intercourse and war.
(d) A travestied allusion to Communion.
4. In Medieval satires, the dismemberment of portions of the body relates to:
(a) The general conception of the divine.
(b) The topography of the continents.
(c) The human body itself.
(d) The separate portions of society.
5. Bakhtin asserts that man introduces the world to himself primarily through which act?
(a) Observing nature.
(d) Sexual intercourse.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Schneegans, what is the grotesque in art?
2. Bakhtin asserts that in the episode of Gargantua's birth, the dividing lines between _______ are erased.
3. Goethe traces the roots of Carnival to the:
4. Bakhtin discusses "Cyprian's Supper," which is a play about:
5. How is a "prophetic riddle" game carnivalesque in nature?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rabelais construct the episode of Epistemon's resurrection and of his visions in the underworld?
2. How does Rabelais respond to the geographical changes of his own time and world?
3. What is the connection between the banquet and speech?
4. Why are eating and drinking two of the most important manifestations of the grotesque body?
5. What is the nature of the carnivalesque crowd in Rabelais' novel?
6. What is the significance of Friar John's description of the monastery belfry as "fecund"?
7. Why does Bakhtin assert that we cannot make the mistake of interpreting Rabelais' images of the material body lower stratum with our modern sensibilities?
8. What is the significance of "cuckoldry," and how is it portrayed?
9. Why is the "Hippocratic Anthology" significant to Rabelais' work?
10. Describe the figure of "Gros Guillaume" and his significance to Rabelais' novel.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)