Final Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bakhtin asserts that in Rabelais' time, food and banquets always contained a sense of:
(a) Depression and resignation.
(b) Physical discomfort.
(c) Victory and regeneration.
(d) Intellectual stimulation.
2. What are the three categories of the "comic" which Bakhtin cites from Schneegans?
(a) The satiric, the clownish, and the visual.
(b) The clownish, the burlesque, and the grotesque.
(c) The painted, the sketched, and the acted.
(d) The grotesque, the ridiculous, and the satiric.
3. What episode does Bakhtin cite as exemplifying the image of the gaping mouth prevalent in Rabelais' novel?
(a) Gargantua drinking the entire Seine river.
(b) People living in Pantagruel's mouth.
(c) God's breath creating the four winds.
(d) Gargamelle eating an entire cow in one bite.
4. According to Bakhtin, Carnival was the true symbol and incarnation of:
(a) The power of the monarchy.
(b) The sanctity of the Church.
(c) The natural world.
(d) The folk festival.
5. Which grotesque elements does Bakhtin note were included in the procession of the feast of Corpus Christi?
(a) Self-flagellating monks.
(b) Children dressed as animals.
(c) Representations of the sun, moon, and stars.
(d) Monsters, giants, and indecent gestures.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bakhtin interpret Rabelais' term "agelast"?
2. In the Fourth Book, why does Villon set a trap for Tappecoue (or "Ticklepecker")?
3. "Fat William," of comic folklore, symbolized:
4. From which Catholic ritual does Panurge profit in _Pantagruel_?
5. What is the theme of "cuckoldry"?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)