|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, Chapter 7 - Rabelais' Images & His Time.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what are "swabs" most closely related?
(a) The liver and gallbladder's production of bile.
(b) The material body upper stratum.
(c) The spiritual intellect's conversant function
(d) The material body lower stratum.
2. What does Bakhtin consider the most indispensable element of folk culture?
(d) Death rituals.
3. What does the etymology of Gargantua's name suggest his name means?
(a) The torso and the mass of the individual.
(b) The legs and the height of the individual.
(c) The genitals and the act of sexual intercourse.
(d) The throat and the act of swallowing.
4. To what does Bakhtin compare the various cries of Paris?
(a) A roaring storm.
(b) A howling wolf.
(c) A crowded kitchen.
(d) A sobbing child.
5. How is the Rabelaisian use of tripe an excellent example of grotesque realism?
(a) It combines fantasy with reality in one type of cuisine.
(b) It is the epitome of disgusting.
(c) It is a drug which offers the user a glimpse of a higher plane of existence.
(d) It merges the positive and negative, or upper and lower, spheres of the body.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Rabelais after his novel was published?
2. Bakhtin connects Medieval "seriousness" most closely to:
3. According to Bakhtin, what is directly related to the oversized foods common at Renaissance feasts?
4. In the Fourth Book, why does Villon set a trap for Tappecoue (or "Ticklepecker")?
5. Gargamelle gives birth to Gargantua as a result of:
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)