|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, Chapter 7 - Rabelais' Images & His Time.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the "form" of any kind of art express?
(a) Whatever the audience chooses.
(b) Only one possible message.
(c) A system of values.
(d) The materials from which the art is constructed.
2. Bakhtin describes Rabelais' depiction of the underworld as:
(a) A "final destination."
(b) A "hopeful space."
(c) A "terrible fright."
(d) A "crossroads."
3. Bakhtin discusses "Cyprian's Supper," which is a play about:
(a) A man who fasted for a year.
(b) A wedding banquet for a prince.
(c) Greed which results in a shortage of food.
(d) Figures from the Bible at a great feast.
4. What is the image of woman in the Renaissance popular comic tradition?
(a) Ambivalent: woman is degraded but simultaneously regenerative.
(b) Materialist: woman is worth money, in her body or from her work.
(c) Positive: woman is the light of the future, and must be celebrated.
(d) Negative: woman is the source of all sin, and must be oppressed.
5. The principle of "negation" in popular-festive imagery is always:
(a) Vulgar and dirty: always having to do with the material body lower stratum.
(b) Tangible and obvious: one thing turned about for another.
(c) Abstract and theoretical: imaginary rather than actualized.
(d) Spiritual and sacred: following the doctrines of the Catholic Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Treatise of Garcia of Toledo," which Bakhtin cites, is notable for:
2. When did the Russian Revolution occur?
3. Curses in Renaissance folk culture tended to focus most closely upon the victim's:
4. What are the "Catchpoles" of which Rabelais writes?
5. Bakhtin defines the early French work "The Play in the Bower" as a:
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)