|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, Chapter 7 - Rabelais' Images & His Time.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the political and religious conflicts of his time, Rabelais always took the ___________ stance.
2. What does Bakhtin find inadequate in Veselovsky's metaphor of Rabelais as a village boy?
(a) Veselovsky's image is cynical, but Rabelais actually celebrates regenerative laughter.
(b) Veselovsky's image excludes the seriousness of the boy as a budding scholar.
(c) Veselovsky's image is too young at heart, for Rabelais wrote only with an old, tired voice.
(d) Veselovsky's image seems too urban for Rabelais, who only wrote about the countryside.
3. From which Catholic ritual does Panurge profit in _Pantagruel_?
(b) Saying the Rosary.
(c) The High Mass.
(d) Papal indulgences.
4. What did the word "pantagruel" colloquially mean in the Renaissance?
(a) Hoarseness caused by drinking too much.
(b) A type of thin porridge eaten exclusively by the very poor.
(c) Articles of clothing, made of harsh cloth, that cover the legs.
(d) Foolish behavior caused by listening to fables.
5. What does Bakhtin consider the most indispensable element of folk culture?
(a) Death rituals.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bakhtin, what is directly related to the oversized foods common at Renaissance feasts?
2. What are the "intelligentsia"?
3. According to Bakhtin, how did Rabelais invent many of the locales and characters in his novel?
4. Where did Rabelais collect most of his rich vocabulary?
5. What does young Gargantua study in order to become acquainted with the common folk?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)