|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, Chapter 7 - Rabelais' Images & His Time.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What actual event probably inspired Rabelais' story of Pantagruel's birth?
(a) A famine resulting from an unusually cold winter.
(b) An earthquake which devastated southern France.
(c) The French victory of a battle with the Spanish.
(d) An unusual heat wave and drought.
2. What do oaths and curses have in common with town announcements and the calls of vendors?
(a) They all are forbidden during certain times of the year.
(b) They all are familiar parts of the society of the marketplace.
(c) They are the only socially acceptable methods of greeting strangers.
(d) They are all said with the same feelings in mind.
3. Bakhtin asserts that the spirit of Carnival is essentially:
(a) One of dullness and duty.
(b) One of pessimism and regression.
(c) One of innocence and confusion.
(d) One of immortality and regeneration.
4. What is a "marketplace spectacle"?
(a) The mundane goings-on of a typical French Renaissance marketplace.
(b) Specifically the public whipping of a criminal in the center of the marketplace.
(c) A theatrical production arranged atop a platform in the center of the marketplace.
(d) A series of booths dedicated solely to bilking customers out of their money.
5. How does the prologue of _Pantagruel_ demonstrate the connection between literature and the marketplace?
(a) It simultaneously advertises itself and praises the public.
(b) It offers a pricey alternative to illiteracy.
(c) It exhorts its readers to record in writing their own experiences of fairs and of Carnival.
(d) It begins with a detailed description of the author's hometown marketplace.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bakhtin asserts that man introduces the world to himself primarily through which act?
2. How does Bakhtin define the episode involving Villon and Tappecoue?
3. Bakhtin notes that two of the most commonly combined themes in Medieval popular literature relating to monks are:
4. Which answer best describes "grotesque realism"?
5. From which Catholic ritual does Panurge profit in _Pantagruel_?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)