|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, Chapter 7 - Rabelais' Images & His Time.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bakhtin define the novel?
(a) As a worthless type of literature.
(b) As a single-voiced text.
(c) As a multiplicity of styles.
(d) As a work of pure imagination.
2. Bakhtin believes that novels are:
(a) Inherently confessional.
(b) Socially charged and polemical.
(c) Random, like stream-of-consciousness.
(d) Utterly separate from the author's own life.
3. The vocabulary of the prologue of _Gargantua_ is:
(a) Quietly reflective and speculative.
(b) Purely abusive and vulgar.
(c) Loaded with comparatives and superlatives.
(d) Objective and editorially distant.
4. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
(a) To glorify the artist.
(b) To be sold for money or services.
(c) To be beautiful in and of itself.
(d) To communicate meaningful messages.
5. In which twentieth-century movement was the grotesque especially evident?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a Renaissance "diablerie"?
2. Bakhtin asserts that in the episode of Gargantua's birth, the dividing lines between _______ are erased.
3. To what does Bakhtin compare the various cries of Paris?
4. The principle of "negation" in popular-festive imagery is always:
5. According to Bakhtin, the "birth" of the word by the clown is an example of:
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)