|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, Chapter 7 - Rabelais' Images & His Time.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bakhtin believes that novels are:
(a) Socially charged and polemical.
(b) Utterly separate from the author's own life.
(c) Random, like stream-of-consciousness.
(d) Inherently confessional.
2. What particular tradition did Peter the Great bring to Russia from Western Europe?
(a) Clownlike crowning and uncrownings at feasts.
(b) Market vendors loudly advertising their wares.
(c) Tragic dramas and historical stage-plays.
(d) The debasement of the Church during Carnival.
3. Why does Gargantua steal the bells of the Notre Dame cathedral?
(a) To decorate the harness of his horse.
(b) To sound the alarm for an impending invasion.
(c) To celebrate his marriage.
(d) To frighten the townsfolk of Paris.
4. Why did Bakhtin feel his times were comparable to those of the Renaissance?
(a) Two political leaders of the different eras were incredibly alike.
(b) The specific threat of disease was killing many people in both times.
(c) The literatures and cultures of both eras bore a distinct resemblance.
(d) Both eras were times of broad social change that left people unsure of how to proceed.
5. When did the Russian Revolution occur?
Short Answer Questions
1. During Bakhtin's time, what genre was being closely defined by the Soviet government?
2. What does Panurge fear if he gets married?
3. Comic rituals in Medieval and Renaissance Europe were:
4. What event that Rabelais relates does he assert is the origin of the name of the city of Paris?
5. How does Bakhtin define the combination of human and animal organs in Rabelais' novel?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)