|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, Chapter 7 - Rabelais' Images & His Time.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the "intelligentsia"?
(a) The bits of knowledge all people accumulate over their lifetimes.
(b) A group which provides an interpretation of the world.
(c) An elite spy organization.
(d) A group of exclusively male scholars.
2. The principle of "negation" in popular-festive imagery is always:
(a) Abstract and theoretical: imaginary rather than actualized.
(b) Vulgar and dirty: always having to do with the material body lower stratum.
(c) Spiritual and sacred: following the doctrines of the Catholic Church.
(d) Tangible and obvious: one thing turned about for another.
3. "Friar John" is heavily associated with:
(a) Food and battles.
(b) Intellect and spirit.
(c) Nature and the earth.
(d) Sex and love.
4. The episode in which Pantagruel and his companions defeat King Anarchus' knights combines:
(a) Human instinct with forethought.
(b) Nature with artifice.
(c) Slaughter with feasting.
(d) Love with hate.
5. What does Panurge fear if he gets married?
(a) That he will eventually be cuckolded.
(b) That his wife will never love him.
(c) That he will not be able to have a son.
(d) That he will marry an ugly woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the "Catchpoles" of which Rabelais writes?
2. Bakhtin defines Rabelais' giants as:
3. What does Rabelais parody in his response to the episode of Gargantua's birth?
4. During Bakhtin's time, what genre was being closely defined by the Soviet government?
5. To what does Veselovsky compare Rabelais?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)