|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, Chapter 7 - Rabelais' Images & His Time.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Bakhtin feel his times were comparable to those of the Renaissance?
(a) Both eras were times of broad social change that left people unsure of how to proceed.
(b) The literatures and cultures of both eras bore a distinct resemblance.
(c) The specific threat of disease was killing many people in both times.
(d) Two political leaders of the different eras were incredibly alike.
2. The verbal interactions between the Renaissance marketplace hawker and the crowd were above all:
(a) Distantly suggestive.
(b) Timid and quiet.
(c) Abusive and derogatory.
(d) Free and frank.
3. When did the Russian Revolution occur?
4. According to Schneegans, what is the grotesque in art?
(a) A caricature that has reached exaggerated dimensions.
(b) A spoken-word performance involving violent acts.
(c) A portrait that has been defaced.
(d) A representation of an otherworldly object.
5. Which grotesque elements does Bakhtin note were included in the procession of the feast of Corpus Christi?
(a) Representations of the sun, moon, and stars.
(b) Self-flagellating monks.
(c) Children dressed as animals.
(d) Monsters, giants, and indecent gestures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bakhtin consider the most indispensable element of folk culture?
2. After Rabelais' time, the use of laughter in literature and culture moved in which direction?
3. From which Catholic ritual does Panurge profit in _Pantagruel_?
4. What do Rabelais' various works indicate about the popular notion of urination?
5. Comic rituals in Medieval and Renaissance Europe were:
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)