|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, Chapter 7 - Rabelais' Images & His Time.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the languages involved in what Bakhtin terms the "triple linguistic process" of Rabelais' time?
(a) Medieval Latin, Middle French, and Middle German.
(b) Classic Latin, Medieval Latin, and vernacular French.
(c) Classic Latin, Middle French, and vernacular French.
(d) Medieval Latin, Old French, and Middle French.
2. To what does Bakhtin compare the various cries of Paris?
(a) A sobbing child.
(b) A crowded kitchen.
(c) A roaring storm.
(d) A howling wolf.
3. How does Bakhtin interpret Rabelais' term "agelast"?
(a) It is an elderly person whose grouchy moods isolate him/her.
(b) It is a person who is hostile to laughter or who does not know how to laugh.
(c) It is a person who delights in causing pain to others.
(d) It is the person who brings up the rear of the great Carnival parade.
4. What is the theme of "cuckoldry"?
(a) The act of voting a new mayor and chasing the old one out of town.
(b) The introduction of one rooster into a rowdy henhouse.
(c) The portion of the feast in which all the fowl are consumed.
(d) The rejection of an old husband and the crowning of a new husband.
5. What is revealed in images of "negation"?
(a) The destructive impulse of humanity.
(b) The harmful aspects of society.
(c) The refusal of commitment between lovers.
(d) The opposition to the official world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bakhtin asserts that the spirit of Carnival is essentially:
2. Which grotesque elements does Bakhtin note were included in the procession of the feast of Corpus Christi?
3. What are the three categories of the "comic" which Bakhtin cites from Schneegans?
4. What do some critics argue has been absent from Russian literature?
5. Bakhtin defines the early French work "The Play in the Bower" as a:
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)