|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, Chapter 7 - Rabelais' Images & His Time.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bakhtin notes that two of the most commonly combined themes in Medieval popular literature relating to monks are:
(a) Gluttony and desire.
(b) Envy and greed.
(c) Sex and death.
(d) Piety and cruelty.
2. What does the etymology of Gargantua's name suggest his name means?
(a) The throat and the act of swallowing.
(b) The genitals and the act of sexual intercourse.
(c) The legs and the height of the individual.
(d) The torso and the mass of the individual.
3. How does Bakhtin define the episode involving Villon and Tappecoue?
(a) As a tragic farce.
(b) As a historical re-enactment.
(c) As an epic drama.
(d) As a comedic interlude.
4. The vocabulary of the prologue of _Gargantua_ is:
(a) Purely abusive and vulgar.
(b) Objective and editorially distant.
(c) Loaded with comparatives and superlatives.
(d) Quietly reflective and speculative.
5. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
(a) To glorify the artist.
(b) To communicate meaningful messages.
(c) To be beautiful in and of itself.
(d) To be sold for money or services.
Short Answer Questions
1. What style does Bakhtin find the prologue of _Pantagruel_ to be written in?
2. During the "feast of fools" and the "feast of the ass," laughter:
3. What is "man's second nature," according to Renaissance Christian doctrine?
4. How does Friar John interpret the riddle he and Gargantua hear?
5. From what does Panurge suggest the protective walls of Paris be built?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)