|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, Chapter 7 - Rabelais' Images & His Time.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What in Rabelais' novel is a travesty of Gospel miracles?
(a) Epistemon's resurrection and visions of the underworld.
(b) Friar John's defense of the abbey vineyards and beating of thousands.
(c) Gargantua's glimpse into heaven and dialogue with God.
(d) Panurge's seduction of a local knight's wife.
2. In the example Schneegans offers, what does Rabelais' Friar John assert makes women fertile?
(a) Prayer to the protective saint of childbirth.
(b) Eating a lot of tripe.
(c) The caress of a king.
(d) The shadow of the abbey belfry
3. How does Bakhtin define "folly" as it relates to festivity?
4. What body part is most often used in grotesque caricatures of sexual potency?
(a) The feet.
(b) The nose.
(c) The torso.
(d) The hands.
5. During Bakhtin's time, what genre was being closely defined by the Soviet government?
(a) The novel.
(b) The biography.
(c) The epic poem.
(d) The lyric.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bakhtin discusses "Cyprian's Supper," which is a play about:
2. How does Gargantua's letter to Pantagruel challenge and attempt to change Catholic dogma?
3. Why does Gargantua steal the bells of the Notre Dame cathedral?
4. What does Bakhtin consider the "symposium" of Medieval grotesque realism?
5. What do some critics argue has been absent from Russian literature?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)