|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, Chapter 7 - Rabelais' Images & His Time.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bakhtin finds that ___________ are especially closely interwoven with the grotesque body.
(a) Acts of war.
(b) Secrets of lovers.
(c) Intelligent scholars.
(d) Banquet images.
2. Why did Bakhtin feel his times were comparable to those of the Renaissance?
(a) Both eras were times of broad social change that left people unsure of how to proceed.
(b) Two political leaders of the different eras were incredibly alike.
(c) The specific threat of disease was killing many people in both times.
(d) The literatures and cultures of both eras bore a distinct resemblance.
3. Bakhtin defines Rabelais' giants as:
(a) Subhuman creatures.
(b) Debased clowns.
(c) Divine images.
(d) Grotesque figures.
4. What is revealed in images of "negation"?
(a) The refusal of commitment between lovers.
(b) The opposition to the official world.
(c) The harmful aspects of society.
(d) The destructive impulse of humanity.
5. Bakhtin believes that novels are:
(a) Random, like stream-of-consciousness.
(b) Socially charged and polemical.
(c) Inherently confessional.
(d) Utterly separate from the author's own life.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Rabelais' time, the word "drum" and the act of drumming connoted:
2. What does Bakhtin consider the most indispensable element of folk culture?
3. According to Bakhtin, the "birth" of the word by the clown is an example of:
4. Bakhtin connects Medieval "seriousness" most closely to:
5. In the Renaissance, bodily excretions were closely associated with:
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)