|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Chapter 5 - The Grotesque Image of the Body Concludes and Chapter 6 - Images of the Material Bodily Lower Stratum.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are examples of that which Bakhtin calls "cosmic terrors"?
(a) Violent beings from another universe.
(b) The sky, the sea, and natural disasters.
(c) Atheists who insult and threaten God.
(d) Vengeful pagan deities.
2. What was unique about the Russian Revolution?
(a) It was purely a religious revolt.
(b) People of all classes and occupations were centrally involved.
(c) It continues into the present day.
(d) Only the elite class was involved.
3. Rabelais expresses the debasement of suffering and fear by associating them with:
(a) Sexual intercourse.
(c) Religious fervor.
4. What work of literature is parodied in the prologue of _Gargantua_?
(a) Malory's _Le Morte d'Arthur_
(b) Dante's _Divine Comedy_
(c) Chaucer's _Canterbury Tales_
(d) Plato's _Symposium_
5. Bakhtin thinks that life is:
(a) Inert, chaotic, and requiring the intervention of art.
(b) Meaningless and futile.
(c) A sacrifice the soul makes to the body.
(d) Organized by human acts of behavior and cognition.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what portion of the body is grotesque debasement most concerned?
2. Which grotesque elements does Bakhtin note were included in the procession of the feast of Corpus Christi?
3. The purpose of "travesty" in folk festivals was to:
4. Curses in Renaissance folk culture tended to focus most closely upon the victim's:
5. How is the Rabelaisian use of tripe an excellent example of grotesque realism?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)