|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Chapter 5 - The Grotesque Image of the Body Concludes and Chapter 6 - Images of the Material Bodily Lower Stratum.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The verbal interactions between the Renaissance marketplace hawker and the crowd were above all:
(a) Abusive and derogatory.
(b) Timid and quiet.
(c) Distantly suggestive.
(d) Free and frank.
2. With what portion of the body is grotesque debasement most concerned?
(a) The head and eyes.
(b) The material lower stratum.
(c) The arms and legs.
(d) The spiritual interior essence.
3. Bakhtin connects Medieval "seriousness" most closely to:
(a) Feasting, spectacles, and sex.
(b) Inspiration and hope.
(c) Fear, weakness, and violence.
(d) Scholarly activities.
4. What is the image of woman in the Renaissance popular comic tradition?
(a) Negative: woman is the source of all sin, and must be oppressed.
(b) Positive: woman is the light of the future, and must be celebrated.
(c) Ambivalent: woman is degraded but simultaneously regenerative.
(d) Materialist: woman is worth money, in her body or from her work.
5. Gargamelle gives birth to Gargantua as a result of:
(a) Casting a spell of birth.
(b) Praying for a child.
(c) A spirit impregnating her.
(d) Eating too much tripe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the "intelligentsia"?
2. What does Bakhtin argue is the role of dialogue?
3. "The Treatise of Garcia of Toledo," which Bakhtin cites, is notable for:
4. Curses in Renaissance folk culture tended to focus most closely upon the victim's:
5. What are the "Catchpoles" of which Rabelais writes?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)