|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Chapter 5 - The Grotesque Image of the Body Concludes and Chapter 6 - Images of the Material Bodily Lower Stratum.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Bakhtin compare the various cries of Paris?
(a) A crowded kitchen.
(b) A howling wolf.
(c) A sobbing child.
(d) A roaring storm.
2. Bakhtin asserts that man introduces the world to himself primarily through which act?
(a) Observing nature.
(d) Sexual intercourse.
3. Why was Rabelais linked so closely to the Lyon fairs?
(a) Lyon fairs represented one of the largest markets for publishing.
(b) The organizers of the fairs in Lyon banned Rabelais from attending them.
(c) Rabelais was a performing clown for several years in these fairs.
(d) Rabelais was a chief organizer of these fairs.
4. What actual event probably inspired Rabelais' story of Pantagruel's birth?
(a) A famine resulting from an unusually cold winter.
(b) An unusual heat wave and drought.
(c) An earthquake which devastated southern France.
(d) The French victory of a battle with the Spanish.
5. Bakhtin thinks that life is:
(a) A sacrifice the soul makes to the body.
(b) Organized by human acts of behavior and cognition.
(c) Inert, chaotic, and requiring the intervention of art.
(d) Meaningless and futile.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was gaming very important in the Renaissance?
2. How, according to Bakhtin, does the current Russian literary criticism approach Rabelais' works?
3. What does Bakhtin find inadequate in Veselovsky's metaphor of Rabelais as a village boy?
4. How does Bakhtin define the combination of human and animal organs in Rabelais' novel?
5. What is a "marketplace spectacle"?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)