|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Chapter 2, Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the "form" of any kind of art express?
(a) Only one possible message.
(b) A system of values.
(c) Whatever the audience chooses.
(d) The materials from which the art is constructed.
2. To what does Bakhtin compare the various cries of Paris?
(a) A howling wolf.
(b) A roaring storm.
(c) A sobbing child.
(d) A crowded kitchen.
3. What was the most prevalent medium of the culture of the common folk in the Renaissance?
(a) The spoken word.
(b) Semaphore signals.
(d) Printed newspapers.
4. How did Rabelais obtain the material for his writings?
(a) By attending many fairs and festivals and observing all the people there.
(b) By receiving a divine revelation.
(c) By interviewing thousands of market vendors.
(d) By studying manuscripts for long hours in monasteries.
5. What does Bakhtin argue is the role of dialogue?
(a) To oppose the authoritarian word.
(b) To give one character a strong voice.
(c) To move the plot along.
(d) To demonstrate thinking out loud.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was unique about the Russian Revolution?
2. The purpose of "travesty" in folk festivals was to:
3. What do some critics argue has been absent from Russian literature?
4. Bakhtin asserts that the advertisement for "pantagruelion" in the Third Book expresses:
5. What style does Bakhtin find the prologue of _Pantagruel_ to be written in?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)