|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Chapter 2, Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "man's second nature," according to Renaissance Christian doctrine?
(a) The thoughtfulness of the individual mind.
(b) Man's higher spiritual calling.
(c) The way people act differently around those of another social class.
(d) The celebratory but degrading impulse toward gluttony, scatology, and sex.
2. How, according to Bakhtin, does the current Russian literary criticism approach Rabelais' works?
(a) By sharing them with an eager public.
(b) By denouncing them as counterproductive to the ongoing Russian Revolution.
(c) By reviving their content in new, twentieth-century forms.
(d) By trying to correctly interpret the source of the cultural laughter within them.
3. Mikhail Bakhtin is:
(a) The most famous Russian writer ever.
(b) A vocal Eastern Orthodox cleric.
(c) A somewhat mysterious but increasingly interesting literary figure.
(d) A fictional figure created to be the mouthpiece of an anonymous author.
4. Rabelais expresses the debasement of suffering and fear by associating them with:
(b) Sexual intercourse.
(c) Religious fervor.
5. Did the "unofficial" and "official" forms of speech ever coincide?
(a) No, both forms of speech were highly regulated.
(b) Yes, especially during festivals.
(c) No, except during times of war.
(d) Yes, except for religious holidays.
Short Answer Questions
1. The vocabulary of the prologue of _Gargantua_ is:
2. Why, according to Bakhtin, does Rabelais treat excrement ambivalently?
3. Carnival allowed:
4. What is a "marketplace spectacle"?
5. What do Rabelais' various works indicate about the popular notion of urination?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)