|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Chapter 2, Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mikhail Bakhtin is:
(a) A vocal Eastern Orthodox cleric.
(b) The most famous Russian writer ever.
(c) A fictional figure created to be the mouthpiece of an anonymous author.
(d) A somewhat mysterious but increasingly interesting literary figure.
2. After Rabelais' time, the use of laughter in literature and culture moved in which direction?
(a) From accepted to encouraged.
(b) From universal to restricted.
(c) From spiritual to earthly.
(d) From singular to universal.
3. In Rabelais' works, some causes of diseases associated with the material body lower stratum are:
(a) Results of public punishments for social crimes.
(b) Divine retribution for one's sins.
(c) Overindulgence in food, drink, and sex.
(d) Results of a sickly infancy and childhood.
4. Rabelais expresses the debasement of suffering and fear by associating them with:
(b) Sexual intercourse.
(d) Religious fervor.
5. Why did Renaissance humanists attempt to suppress oaths and profanities?
(a) They felt that if one could not say something nice, one should say nothing at all.
(b) They viewed such language as predominantly atheistic.
(c) They were shocked to hear the Lord's name taken in vain.
(d) They saw such language as relics of the superstitious Middle Ages.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Renaissance, bodily excretions were closely associated with:
2. What type of work did Rabelais often publish, especially for the fairs?
3. During Bakhtin's time, what genre was being closely defined by the Soviet government?
4. Bakhtin thinks that life is:
5. How, according to Bakhtin, does the current Russian literary criticism approach Rabelais' works?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)