|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Chapter 2, Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Rabelais' works, some causes of diseases associated with the material body lower stratum are:
(a) Divine retribution for one's sins.
(b) Results of a sickly infancy and childhood.
(c) Overindulgence in food, drink, and sex.
(d) Results of public punishments for social crimes.
2. What does Bakhtin find to be the greatest error other critics make in their studies of Rabelais' works?
(a) They neglect to explore the element of the Renaissance folk culture.
(b) They read Rabelais' works as allegory only.
(c) They treat Rabelais as a prophet of literary upheavals.
(d) They classify Rabelais as just as important as Shakespeare and Cervantes.
3. How did Rabelais obtain the material for his writings?
(a) By receiving a divine revelation.
(b) By interviewing thousands of market vendors.
(c) By studying manuscripts for long hours in monasteries.
(d) By attending many fairs and festivals and observing all the people there.
4. What repressive organization was Bakhtin forced to join in order to continue writing?
(a) The Post-Revolution Press
(b) The National Writers' Agency.
(c) The Russian Union of Writers.
(d) The Soviet Society of National Fiction.
5. Carnival allowed:
(a) The endurance of the propriety expected of all social classes.
(b) The upper class to oppress relentlessly the lower class.
(c) The mixing of real and unreal, fantasy and fact.
(d) The peasants to sell their crops without paying taxes.
Short Answer Questions
1. The figure of the Physician in the Fourth Book is closely connected with:
2. Why did Bakhtin feel his times were comparable to those of the Renaissance?
3. Medieval parodies were:
4. What are the targets of the abusive language in Rabelais' prologue to the Third Book?
5. Bakhtin believes that novels are:
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)