|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Chapter 2, Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bakhtin's semiotic understanding, what irony is inherent within the creative power of language?
(a) The individual expresses him- or herself only through the words of others.
(b) Language does not actually express anything.
(c) No word can actually ever be defined.
(d) All languages are one.
2. Which answer best describes "grotesque realism"?
(a) The bodily element is universal, celebratory, positive, and exaggerated.
(b) The writing must strive to be as mathematically or geometrically accurate as possible in its descriptions.
(c) The tone of the writing is always dark, Gothic, and depressing.
(d) The author's focus must be on bodily gore, blood, death, and dying.
3. During the "feast of fools" and the "feast of the ass," laughter:
(a) Was regulated by the town fools and farmers.
(b) Was forbidden everywhere but the marketplace.
(c) Was forbidden because of the sacredness of the festival.
(d) Was encouraged even in church.
4. The figure of the Physician in the Fourth Book is closely connected with:
(c) Death and birth.
(d) Thought and spirit.
5. According to Bakhtin, what is directly related to the oversized foods common at Renaissance feasts?
(a) The swelling of religious fervor during holy days.
(b) Bodily restraint as a result of mind over matter.
(c) Grotesque portrayals of the stomach, mouth, and genitals.
(d) The general health of a town's population.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do oaths and curses have in common with town announcements and the calls of vendors?
2. How, according to Bakhtin, does the current Russian literary criticism approach Rabelais' works?
3. What was the reception of Rabelais' work in the eighteenth century?
4. How are Bakhtin and Rabelais similar?
5. Carnival allowed:
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)