|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Chapter 2, Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What work of literature is parodied in the prologue of _Gargantua_?
(a) Chaucer's _Canterbury Tales_
(b) Malory's _Le Morte d'Arthur_
(c) Dante's _Divine Comedy_
(d) Plato's _Symposium_
2. Rabelais expresses the debasement of suffering and fear by associating them with:
(b) Sexual intercourse.
(c) Religious fervor.
3. How did Rabelais obtain the material for his writings?
(a) By studying manuscripts for long hours in monasteries.
(b) By interviewing thousands of market vendors.
(c) By attending many fairs and festivals and observing all the people there.
(d) By receiving a divine revelation.
4. Comic rituals in Medieval and Renaissance Europe were:
(a) Necessary to mercantile transactions.
(b) Taboo in all settings but the royal court.
(c) Freed of the trappings of religious dogma and mysticism.
(d) All that which linked the living to the dead.
5. Bakhtin believes that novels are:
(a) Random, like stream-of-consciousness.
(b) Socially charged and polemical.
(c) Inherently confessional.
(d) Utterly separate from the author's own life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Curses in Renaissance folk culture tended to focus most closely upon the victim's:
2. How is the Rabelaisian use of tripe an excellent example of grotesque realism?
3. Bakhtin connects Medieval "seriousness" most closely to:
4. Which answer best describes "grotesque realism"?
5. How did the French Romanticists respond to Rabelais' works?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)