|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Chapter 2, Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Russian Revolution occur?
2. What are the targets of the abusive language in Rabelais' prologue to the Third Book?
(a) Members of the aristocracy whose political ideals are not in keeping with Rabelais' ideals.
(b) Foreign travelers who have offended the traditions of Carnival.
(c) Average townsfolk who have imbibed too much wine.
(d) Representatives of old, hypocritical, serious Medieval philosophy.
3. What do Rabelais' various works indicate about the popular notion of urination?
(a) Urination can only be used for comic purposes.
(b) Urination is a medical mystery that baffles doctors.
(c) Urination fertilizes the earth and creates bodies of water.
(d) Urination is disgusting and should be done privately.
4. Comic rituals in Medieval and Renaissance Europe were:
(a) All that which linked the living to the dead.
(b) Freed of the trappings of religious dogma and mysticism.
(c) Necessary to mercantile transactions.
(d) Taboo in all settings but the royal court.
5. Which answer best describes "grotesque realism"?
(a) The writing must strive to be as mathematically or geometrically accurate as possible in its descriptions.
(b) The bodily element is universal, celebratory, positive, and exaggerated.
(c) The author's focus must be on bodily gore, blood, death, and dying.
(d) The tone of the writing is always dark, Gothic, and depressing.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
2. Clowns and fools are:
3. According to Bakhtin, what is directly related to the oversized foods common at Renaissance feasts?
4. What does Bakhtin consider the most indispensable element of folk culture?
5. Mikhail Bakhtin is:
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)