|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the French Romanticists respond to Rabelais' works?
(a) They ignored Rabelais completely.
(b) With disgust and negative criticism.
(c) With complete understanding of Medieval and Renaissance culture.
(d) With an appreciation of, and interest in, the grotesque.
2. How are Bakhtin and Rabelais similar?
(a) They both directly challenge the government by running for political office.
(b) They both write mostly novels.
(c) They live in the same country.
(d) They both subvert the social prohibition on laughter, satire, and irony.
3. Bakhtin thinks that life is:
(a) Inert, chaotic, and requiring the intervention of art.
(b) A sacrifice the soul makes to the body.
(c) Meaningless and futile.
(d) Organized by human acts of behavior and cognition.
4. In Rabelais' works, some causes of diseases associated with the material body lower stratum are:
(a) Results of a sickly infancy and childhood.
(b) Overindulgence in food, drink, and sex.
(c) Divine retribution for one's sins.
(d) Results of public punishments for social crimes.
5. Carnival allowed:
(a) The mixing of real and unreal, fantasy and fact.
(b) The upper class to oppress relentlessly the lower class.
(c) The peasants to sell their crops without paying taxes.
(d) The endurance of the propriety expected of all social classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Clowns and fools are:
2. In Rabelais' time, why was the meaning of debasement often ambivalent?
3. Why did Bakhtin feel his times were comparable to those of the Renaissance?
4. What work of literature is parodied in the prologue of _Gargantua_?
5. When did the Russian Revolution occur?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)