|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rabelais accomplish the grotesque degradation of his target in the prologue to the Third Book?
(a) By insulting the targets' mothers.
(b) By accusing the targets of paganism and crimes against the Church.
(c) By declaring the targets incapable of the basest bodily functions.
(d) By declaring the targets to be empty-headed.
2. What does young Gargantua study in order to become acquainted with the common folk?
(a) The way young people are educated.
(b) Herbs and medicines.
(c) Physically demanding activities.
(d) Interactions between men and women.
3. How does Bakhtin define the novel?
(a) As a work of pure imagination.
(b) As a multiplicity of styles.
(c) As a single-voiced text.
(d) As a worthless type of literature.
4. Medieval parodies were:
(a) Limited to religious parody.
(b) Focused on the negative aspects of society.
(c) Concerned with the positive, humorous aspects of everything.
(d) Limited to parody of individuals.
5. What does the "form" of any kind of art express?
(a) The materials from which the art is constructed.
(b) Whatever the audience chooses.
(c) A system of values.
(d) Only one possible message.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Rabelais' billingsgate elements considered "coarse and cynical" by most scholars?
2. After Rabelais' time, the use of laughter in literature and culture moved in which direction?
3. What do oaths and curses have in common with town announcements and the calls of vendors?
4. What type of work did Rabelais often publish, especially for the fairs?
5. When did the Russian Revolution occur?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)