|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Tripe" literally refers to:
(a) A type of freshwater fish.
(b) The main blood vessel in the brain of a human.
(c) A type of songbird.
(d) The stomach and bowels of cattle.
2. What style does Bakhtin find the prologue of _Pantagruel_ to be written in?
(a) It is innocent and childlike.
(b) It is ironic and maliciously exaggerated.
(c) It is rhetorical and persuasive.
(d) It is dark and foreboding.
3. Curses in Renaissance folk culture tended to focus most closely upon the victim's:
4. How did Rabelais obtain the material for his writings?
(a) By attending many fairs and festivals and observing all the people there.
(b) By studying manuscripts for long hours in monasteries.
(c) By interviewing thousands of market vendors.
(d) By receiving a divine revelation.
5. During Bakhtin's time, what genre was being closely defined by the Soviet government?
(a) The biography.
(b) The novel.
(c) The epic poem.
(d) The lyric.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Rabelais linked so closely to the Lyon fairs?
2. Rabelais expresses the debasement of suffering and fear by associating them with:
3. What does Bakhtin find to be the greatest error other critics make in their studies of Rabelais' works?
4. The prologue of _Pantagruel_ is a parody and travesty of:
5. Carnival allowed:
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)