|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Did the "unofficial" and "official" forms of speech ever coincide?
(a) Yes, except for religious holidays.
(b) No, except during times of war.
(c) Yes, especially during festivals.
(d) No, both forms of speech were highly regulated.
2. In the seventeenth century, the decline of laughter as a primary force in folk culture resulted from:
(a) The exhaustion of any new sources of humor.
(b) An increasingly "official" culture of rationalism.
(c) The need of the public for other forms of diversion.
(d) The declining number of Carnival performers.
3. What does Bakhtin consider the most indispensable element of folk culture?
(a) Death rituals.
4. The core images of the prologue of _Gargantua_ are:
(a) Scenes of eating and drinking.
(b) Scenes of violence.
(c) Scenes of travel and journeys.
(d) Scenes of pious worship.
5. When the grotesque was revived in the Romantic era, what did it react against?
(a) Imaginative fantasy.
(b) The rediscovered works of Shakespeare and Cervantes.
(c) Neoclassical, rational, Enlightenment thought.
(d) Individual, sentimental ideas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mikhail Bakhtin is:
2. In Rabelais' time, why was the meaning of debasement often ambivalent?
3. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
4. In the Prologue of the Third Book, to which contemporary events does Rabelais allude?
5. Medieval parodies were:
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)