|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bakhtin argue is the role of dialogue?
(a) To demonstrate thinking out loud.
(b) To move the plot along.
(c) To give one character a strong voice.
(d) To oppose the authoritarian word.
2. Bakhtin connects Medieval "seriousness" most closely to:
(a) Scholarly activities.
(b) Feasting, spectacles, and sex.
(c) Fear, weakness, and violence.
(d) Inspiration and hope.
3. The verbal interactions between the Renaissance marketplace hawker and the crowd were above all:
(a) Free and frank.
(b) Distantly suggestive.
(c) Abusive and derogatory.
(d) Timid and quiet.
4. With what portion of the body is grotesque debasement most concerned?
(a) The material lower stratum.
(b) The spiritual interior essence.
(c) The arms and legs.
(d) The head and eyes.
5. Curses in Renaissance folk culture tended to focus most closely upon the victim's:
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Rabelais' billingsgate elements considered "coarse and cynical" by most scholars?
2. Did the "unofficial" and "official" forms of speech ever coincide?
3. The vocabulary of the prologue of _Gargantua_ is:
4. Rabelais' description of Alcibiades reflects:
5. How are Bakhtin and Rabelais similar?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)