|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a "marketplace spectacle"?
(a) Specifically the public whipping of a criminal in the center of the marketplace.
(b) A series of booths dedicated solely to bilking customers out of their money.
(c) The mundane goings-on of a typical French Renaissance marketplace.
(d) A theatrical production arranged atop a platform in the center of the marketplace.
2. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
(a) To be sold for money or services.
(b) To be beautiful in and of itself.
(c) To communicate meaningful messages.
(d) To glorify the artist.
3. How, according to Bakhtin, does the current Russian literary criticism approach Rabelais' works?
(a) By sharing them with an eager public.
(b) By reviving their content in new, twentieth-century forms.
(c) By trying to correctly interpret the source of the cultural laughter within them.
(d) By denouncing them as counterproductive to the ongoing Russian Revolution.
4. How did the French Romanticists respond to Rabelais' works?
(a) With disgust and negative criticism.
(b) They ignored Rabelais completely.
(c) With an appreciation of, and interest in, the grotesque.
(d) With complete understanding of Medieval and Renaissance culture.
5. How is the Rabelaisian use of tripe an excellent example of grotesque realism?
(a) It combines fantasy with reality in one type of cuisine.
(b) It merges the positive and negative, or upper and lower, spheres of the body.
(c) It is a drug which offers the user a glimpse of a higher plane of existence.
(d) It is the epitome of disgusting.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Prologue of the Third Book, to which contemporary events does Rabelais allude?
2. What does Bakhtin consider the most indispensable element of folk culture?
3. The figure of the Physician in the Fourth Book is closely connected with:
4. How did Rabelais obtain the material for his writings?
5. What work of literature is parodied in the prologue of _Gargantua_?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)