|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bakhtin believes that novels are:
(a) Random, like stream-of-consciousness.
(b) Inherently confessional.
(c) Utterly separate from the author's own life.
(d) Socially charged and polemical.
2. What does Bakhtin find to be the greatest error other critics make in their studies of Rabelais' works?
(a) They read Rabelais' works as allegory only.
(b) They classify Rabelais as just as important as Shakespeare and Cervantes.
(c) They neglect to explore the element of the Renaissance folk culture.
(d) They treat Rabelais as a prophet of literary upheavals.
3. Bakhtin connects Medieval "seriousness" most closely to:
(a) Feasting, spectacles, and sex.
(b) Fear, weakness, and violence.
(c) Scholarly activities.
(d) Inspiration and hope.
4. What is a "marketplace spectacle"?
(a) Specifically the public whipping of a criminal in the center of the marketplace.
(b) A series of booths dedicated solely to bilking customers out of their money.
(c) A theatrical production arranged atop a platform in the center of the marketplace.
(d) The mundane goings-on of a typical French Renaissance marketplace.
5. What type of work did Rabelais often publish, especially for the fairs?
(a) Biographies of public figures.
(b) Religious tracts.
(c) Political treatises.
(d) Calendars or almanacs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the Rabelaisian use of tripe an excellent example of grotesque realism?
2. Medieval parodies were:
3. What does the "form" of any kind of art express?
4. What was the reception of Rabelais' work in the eighteenth century?
5. What repressive organization was Bakhtin forced to join in order to continue writing?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)