|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Bakhtin's time, what genre was being closely defined by the Soviet government?
(a) The biography.
(b) The epic poem.
(c) The lyric.
(d) The novel.
2. What are the targets of the abusive language in Rabelais' prologue to the Third Book?
(a) Average townsfolk who have imbibed too much wine.
(b) Members of the aristocracy whose political ideals are not in keeping with Rabelais' ideals.
(c) Representatives of old, hypocritical, serious Medieval philosophy.
(d) Foreign travelers who have offended the traditions of Carnival.
3. What does Bakhtin consider the most indispensable element of folk culture?
(c) Death rituals.
4. With what portion of the body is grotesque debasement most concerned?
(a) The material lower stratum.
(b) The spiritual interior essence.
(c) The arms and legs.
(d) The head and eyes.
5. What in particular forms the basic elements of Rabelais' novel _Gargantua_?
(a) Historical allusions.
(b) Predictions of the future.
(c) Autobiographical observations of Rabelais' own life.
(d) Classical myths.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do oaths and curses have in common with town announcements and the calls of vendors?
2. How is the Rabelaisian use of tripe an excellent example of grotesque realism?
3. In the seventeenth century, the decline of laughter as a primary force in folk culture resulted from:
4. Why, according to Bakhtin, does Rabelais treat excrement ambivalently?
5. Bakhtin thinks that life is:
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)