|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bakhtin connects Medieval "seriousness" most closely to:
(a) Scholarly activities.
(b) Fear, weakness, and violence.
(c) Feasting, spectacles, and sex.
(d) Inspiration and hope.
2. What does Bakhtin find to be the greatest error other critics make in their studies of Rabelais' works?
(a) They neglect to explore the element of the Renaissance folk culture.
(b) They treat Rabelais as a prophet of literary upheavals.
(c) They read Rabelais' works as allegory only.
(d) They classify Rabelais as just as important as Shakespeare and Cervantes.
3. After Rabelais' time, the use of laughter in literature and culture moved in which direction?
(a) From spiritual to earthly.
(b) From universal to restricted.
(c) From singular to universal.
(d) From accepted to encouraged.
4. The purpose of "travesty" in folk festivals was to:
(a) Irreversibly denigrate everything it could.
(b) Reassert traditional definitions of social and spiritual life.
(c) Call upon something serious and make it amusing.
(d) Indicate the importance of travel to an individual's self-development.
5. What are the "intelligentsia"?
(a) An elite spy organization.
(b) A group of exclusively male scholars.
(c) The bits of knowledge all people accumulate over their lifetimes.
(d) A group which provides an interpretation of the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Tripe" literally refers to:
2. What do some critics argue has been absent from Russian literature?
3. How, according to Bakhtin, does the current Russian literary criticism approach Rabelais' works?
4. With what is "folk culture" most concerned?
5. How does Bakhtin define the novel?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)