|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bakhtin's semiotic understanding, what irony is inherent within the creative power of language?
(a) Language does not actually express anything.
(b) No word can actually ever be defined.
(c) The individual expresses him- or herself only through the words of others.
(d) All languages are one.
2. Mikhail Bakhtin is:
(a) The most famous Russian writer ever.
(b) A vocal Eastern Orthodox cleric.
(c) A somewhat mysterious but increasingly interesting literary figure.
(d) A fictional figure created to be the mouthpiece of an anonymous author.
3. Curses in Renaissance folk culture tended to focus most closely upon the victim's:
4. What does the "form" of any kind of art express?
(a) Whatever the audience chooses.
(b) Only one possible message.
(c) A system of values.
(d) The materials from which the art is constructed.
5. Bakhtin thinks that life is:
(a) Meaningless and futile.
(b) Organized by human acts of behavior and cognition.
(c) A sacrifice the soul makes to the body.
(d) Inert, chaotic, and requiring the intervention of art.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do oaths and curses have in common with town announcements and the calls of vendors?
2. Medieval parodies were:
3. How, according to Bakhtin, does the current Russian literary criticism approach Rabelais' works?
4. The vocabulary of the prologue of _Gargantua_ is:
5. How is the Rabelaisian use of tripe an excellent example of grotesque realism?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)