|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What common fifteenth- and sixteenth-century literary device does Bakhtin identify in the Prologue to the Third Book?
(a) Long lists of names and epithets.
(b) Complaints about love.
(c) Blank verse.
(d) Invocations to the Muse.
2. What was unique about the Russian Revolution?
(a) Only the elite class was involved.
(b) It was purely a religious revolt.
(c) People of all classes and occupations were centrally involved.
(d) It continues into the present day.
3. What is "man's second nature," according to Renaissance Christian doctrine?
(a) The celebratory but degrading impulse toward gluttony, scatology, and sex.
(b) Man's higher spiritual calling.
(c) The thoughtfulness of the individual mind.
(d) The way people act differently around those of another social class.
4. What in particular forms the basic elements of Rabelais' novel _Gargantua_?
(a) Autobiographical observations of Rabelais' own life.
(b) Historical allusions.
(c) Predictions of the future.
(d) Classical myths.
5. How did Rabelais obtain the material for his writings?
(a) By studying manuscripts for long hours in monasteries.
(b) By receiving a divine revelation.
(c) By attending many fairs and festivals and observing all the people there.
(d) By interviewing thousands of market vendors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Clowns and fools are:
2. What repressive organization was Bakhtin forced to join in order to continue writing?
3. With what portion of the body is grotesque debasement most concerned?
4. Why, according to Bakhtin, does Rabelais treat excrement ambivalently?
5. When did the Russian Revolution occur?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)