|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bakhtin thinks that life is:
(a) A sacrifice the soul makes to the body.
(b) Meaningless and futile.
(c) Organized by human acts of behavior and cognition.
(d) Inert, chaotic, and requiring the intervention of art.
2. Medieval parodies were:
(a) Limited to religious parody.
(b) Focused on the negative aspects of society.
(c) Concerned with the positive, humorous aspects of everything.
(d) Limited to parody of individuals.
3. Rabelais' description of Alcibiades reflects:
(a) The idea that ancient philosophies were incorrect.
(b) The image of Rabelais himself.
(c) The abuse/praise dynamics of the marketplace.
(d) The good/evil dichotomy of mankind.
4. To what does Veselovsky compare Rabelais?
(a) A pious priest.
(b) An elderly scholar.
(c) An ironfisted dictator.
(d) A village boy.
5. With what is "folk culture" most concerned?
(a) The affairs of royalty.
(b) The lives of ordinary people.
(c) Commerce and industry.
(d) Foreign songs, art, and stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work of literature is parodied in the prologue of _Gargantua_?
2. During Bakhtin's time, what genre was being closely defined by the Soviet government?
3. How does Bakhtin define the novel?
4. Mikhail Bakhtin is:
5. How is the Rabelaisian use of tripe an excellent example of grotesque realism?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)