|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Chapter 2 - The Language of the Marketplace.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Carnival allowed:
(a) The peasants to sell their crops without paying taxes.
(b) The endurance of the propriety expected of all social classes.
(c) The mixing of real and unreal, fantasy and fact.
(d) The upper class to oppress relentlessly the lower class.
2. Clowns and fools are:
(a) Prisoners forced to entertain others.
(b) Present only at large fairs or gatherings.
(c) Restricted to entertaining the royal court.
(d) Everyday representatives of the folk and of Carnival.
3. What does Bakhtin argue is the role of dialogue?
(a) To move the plot along.
(b) To oppose the authoritarian word.
(c) To give one character a strong voice.
(d) To demonstrate thinking out loud.
4. In the folklore and grotesque realism of Rabelais' works, excrement represents bodies and matter that are:
(a) Mostly comic.
(b) One with the earth.
(c) Frightening and terrible.
(d) Generally revered.
5. With what is "folk culture" most concerned?
(a) Commerce and industry.
(b) Foreign songs, art, and stories.
(c) The affairs of royalty.
(d) The lives of ordinary people.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Bakhtin and Rabelais similar?
2. Mikhail Bakhtin is:
3. When the grotesque was revived in the Romantic era, what did it react against?
4. What was unique about the Russian Revolution?
5. What in particular forms the basic elements of Rabelais' novel _Gargantua_?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)