|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Chapter 2 - The Language of the Marketplace.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do some critics argue has been absent from Russian literature?
(a) Political dissent.
(b) A particularly Western type of humor.
(c) Religious fervor.
(d) Sexually-charged dialogue.
2. Comic rituals in Medieval and Renaissance Europe were:
(a) Necessary to mercantile transactions.
(b) Freed of the trappings of religious dogma and mysticism.
(c) Taboo in all settings but the royal court.
(d) All that which linked the living to the dead.
3. During Bakhtin's time, what genre was being closely defined by the Soviet government?
(a) The lyric.
(b) The epic poem.
(c) The biography.
(d) The novel.
4. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
(a) To glorify the artist.
(b) To be sold for money or services.
(c) To communicate meaningful messages.
(d) To be beautiful in and of itself.
5. What in particular forms the basic elements of Rabelais' novel _Gargantua_?
(a) Classical myths.
(b) Predictions of the future.
(c) Historical allusions.
(d) Autobiographical observations of Rabelais' own life.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the French Romanticists respond to Rabelais' works?
2. What was the reception of Rabelais' work in the eighteenth century?
3. In Rabelais' time, why was the meaning of debasement often ambivalent?
4. What was unique about the Russian Revolution?
5. Bakhtin believes that novels are:
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)