|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Chapter 2 - The Language of the Marketplace.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Clowns and fools are:
(a) Restricted to entertaining the royal court.
(b) Everyday representatives of the folk and of Carnival.
(c) Prisoners forced to entertain others.
(d) Present only at large fairs or gatherings.
2. After Rabelais' time, the use of laughter in literature and culture moved in which direction?
(a) From singular to universal.
(b) From accepted to encouraged.
(c) From spiritual to earthly.
(d) From universal to restricted.
3. How did Rabelais obtain the material for his writings?
(a) By attending many fairs and festivals and observing all the people there.
(b) By studying manuscripts for long hours in monasteries.
(c) By receiving a divine revelation.
(d) By interviewing thousands of market vendors.
4. Why did Bakhtin feel his times were comparable to those of the Renaissance?
(a) Both eras were times of broad social change that left people unsure of how to proceed.
(b) The specific threat of disease was killing many people in both times.
(c) The literatures and cultures of both eras bore a distinct resemblance.
(d) Two political leaders of the different eras were incredibly alike.
5. What do some critics argue has been absent from Russian literature?
(a) Sexually-charged dialogue.
(b) Political dissent.
(c) Religious fervor.
(d) A particularly Western type of humor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What repressive organization was Bakhtin forced to join in order to continue writing?
2. Carnival allowed:
3. Mikhail Bakhtin is:
4. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
5. In the seventeenth century, the decline of laughter as a primary force in folk culture resulted from:
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)