|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Chapter 2 - The Language of the Marketplace.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The purpose of "travesty" in folk festivals was to:
(a) Indicate the importance of travel to an individual's self-development.
(b) Reassert traditional definitions of social and spiritual life.
(c) Call upon something serious and make it amusing.
(d) Irreversibly denigrate everything it could.
2. In which twentieth-century movement was the grotesque especially evident?
3. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
(a) To glorify the artist.
(b) To communicate meaningful messages.
(c) To be beautiful in and of itself.
(d) To be sold for money or services.
4. Bakhtin thinks that life is:
(a) Meaningless and futile.
(b) Inert, chaotic, and requiring the intervention of art.
(c) Organized by human acts of behavior and cognition.
(d) A sacrifice the soul makes to the body.
5. After Rabelais' time, the use of laughter in literature and culture moved in which direction?
(a) From accepted to encouraged.
(b) From universal to restricted.
(c) From singular to universal.
(d) From spiritual to earthly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bakhtin argue is the role of dialogue?
2. What in particular forms the basic elements of Rabelais' novel _Gargantua_?
3. Comic rituals in Medieval and Renaissance Europe were:
4. During Bakhtin's time, what genre was being closely defined by the Soviet government?
5. What was unique about the Russian Revolution?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)