|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Chapter 2 - The Language of the Marketplace.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Carnival allowed:
(a) The peasants to sell their crops without paying taxes.
(b) The mixing of real and unreal, fantasy and fact.
(c) The endurance of the propriety expected of all social classes.
(d) The upper class to oppress relentlessly the lower class.
2. What are the "intelligentsia"?
(a) The bits of knowledge all people accumulate over their lifetimes.
(b) A group which provides an interpretation of the world.
(c) A group of exclusively male scholars.
(d) An elite spy organization.
3. During Bakhtin's time, what genre was being closely defined by the Soviet government?
(a) The lyric.
(b) The novel.
(c) The epic poem.
(d) The biography.
4. Did the "unofficial" and "official" forms of speech ever coincide?
(a) Yes, especially during festivals.
(b) No, except during times of war.
(c) Yes, except for religious holidays.
(d) No, both forms of speech were highly regulated.
5. Medieval parodies were:
(a) Limited to religious parody.
(b) Limited to parody of individuals.
(c) Concerned with the positive, humorous aspects of everything.
(d) Focused on the negative aspects of society.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Veselovsky compare Rabelais?
2. Why did Bakhtin feel his times were comparable to those of the Renaissance?
3. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
4. With what is "folk culture" most concerned?
5. The purpose of "travesty" in folk festivals was to:
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)