|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Chapter 2 - The Language of the Marketplace.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Rabelais linked so closely to the Lyon fairs?
(a) Lyon fairs represented one of the largest markets for publishing.
(b) Rabelais was a chief organizer of these fairs.
(c) Rabelais was a performing clown for several years in these fairs.
(d) The organizers of the fairs in Lyon banned Rabelais from attending them.
2. Bakhtin believes that novels are:
(a) Utterly separate from the author's own life.
(b) Random, like stream-of-consciousness.
(c) Inherently confessional.
(d) Socially charged and polemical.
3. Did the "unofficial" and "official" forms of speech ever coincide?
(a) Yes, especially during festivals.
(b) Yes, except for religious holidays.
(c) No, except during times of war.
(d) No, both forms of speech were highly regulated.
4. According to Bakhtin's semiotic understanding, what irony is inherent within the creative power of language?
(a) No word can actually ever be defined.
(b) Language does not actually express anything.
(c) The individual expresses him- or herself only through the words of others.
(d) All languages are one.
5. What repressive organization was Bakhtin forced to join in order to continue writing?
(a) The Soviet Society of National Fiction.
(b) The Post-Revolution Press
(c) The National Writers' Agency.
(d) The Russian Union of Writers.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the "feast of fools" and the "feast of the ass," laughter:
2. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
3. What are the "intelligentsia"?
4. What do Rabelais' various works indicate about the popular notion of urination?
5. What is "man's second nature," according to Renaissance Christian doctrine?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)