|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Chapter 2 - The Language of the Marketplace.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do some critics argue has been absent from Russian literature?
(a) Sexually-charged dialogue.
(b) A particularly Western type of humor.
(c) Political dissent.
(d) Religious fervor.
2. With what portion of the body is grotesque debasement most concerned?
(a) The arms and legs.
(b) The spiritual interior essence.
(c) The material lower stratum.
(d) The head and eyes.
3. In the folklore and grotesque realism of Rabelais' works, excrement represents bodies and matter that are:
(a) Generally revered.
(b) One with the earth.
(c) Frightening and terrible.
(d) Mostly comic.
4. Clowns and fools are:
(a) Prisoners forced to entertain others.
(b) Restricted to entertaining the royal court.
(c) Present only at large fairs or gatherings.
(d) Everyday representatives of the folk and of Carnival.
5. To what does Veselovsky compare Rabelais?
(a) A village boy.
(b) An ironfisted dictator.
(c) A pious priest.
(d) An elderly scholar.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bakhtin's semiotic understanding, what irony is inherent within the creative power of language?
2. When the grotesque was revived in the Romantic era, what did it react against?
3. Bakhtin connects Medieval "seriousness" most closely to:
4. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
5. What does Bakhtin consider the most indispensable element of folk culture?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)