|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Chapter 2 - The Language of the Marketplace.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
(a) To communicate meaningful messages.
(b) To be sold for money or services.
(c) To be beautiful in and of itself.
(d) To glorify the artist.
2. Medieval parodies were:
(a) Focused on the negative aspects of society.
(b) Limited to religious parody.
(c) Limited to parody of individuals.
(d) Concerned with the positive, humorous aspects of everything.
3. Mikhail Bakhtin is:
(a) A vocal Eastern Orthodox cleric.
(b) The most famous Russian writer ever.
(c) A somewhat mysterious but increasingly interesting literary figure.
(d) A fictional figure created to be the mouthpiece of an anonymous author.
4. Why did Bakhtin feel his times were comparable to those of the Renaissance?
(a) The literatures and cultures of both eras bore a distinct resemblance.
(b) The specific threat of disease was killing many people in both times.
(c) Two political leaders of the different eras were incredibly alike.
(d) Both eras were times of broad social change that left people unsure of how to proceed.
5. Bakhtin connects Medieval "seriousness" most closely to:
(a) Fear, weakness, and violence.
(b) Scholarly activities.
(c) Feasting, spectacles, and sex.
(d) Inspiration and hope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What in particular forms the basic elements of Rabelais' novel _Gargantua_?
2. What repressive organization was Bakhtin forced to join in order to continue writing?
3. To what does Veselovsky compare Rabelais?
4. In the folklore and grotesque realism of Rabelais' works, excrement represents bodies and matter that are:
5. How did the French Romanticists respond to Rabelais' works?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)