|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Chapter 2 - The Language of the Marketplace.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "man's second nature," according to Renaissance Christian doctrine?
(a) The thoughtfulness of the individual mind.
(b) The celebratory but degrading impulse toward gluttony, scatology, and sex.
(c) Man's higher spiritual calling.
(d) The way people act differently around those of another social class.
2. How did the French Romanticists respond to Rabelais' works?
(a) They ignored Rabelais completely.
(b) With an appreciation of, and interest in, the grotesque.
(c) With disgust and negative criticism.
(d) With complete understanding of Medieval and Renaissance culture.
3. During the "feast of fools" and the "feast of the ass," laughter:
(a) Was encouraged even in church.
(b) Was forbidden because of the sacredness of the festival.
(c) Was regulated by the town fools and farmers.
(d) Was forbidden everywhere but the marketplace.
4. During Bakhtin's time, what genre was being closely defined by the Soviet government?
(a) The lyric.
(b) The novel.
(c) The epic poem.
(d) The biography.
5. Comic rituals in Medieval and Renaissance Europe were:
(a) All that which linked the living to the dead.
(b) Taboo in all settings but the royal court.
(c) Freed of the trappings of religious dogma and mysticism.
(d) Necessary to mercantile transactions.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which twentieth-century movement was the grotesque especially evident?
2. What are the "intelligentsia"?
3. What was the reception of Rabelais' work in the eighteenth century?
4. What does Bakhtin argue is the role of dialogue?
5. How did Rabelais obtain the material for his writings?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)