|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Chapter 5 - The Grotesque Image of the Body Concludes and Chapter 6 - Images of the Material Bodily Lower Stratum.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Friar John beat thousands of men in his abbey?
(a) As a show of force to deter invaders.
(b) To save the abbey's vineyards.
(c) Another Friar challenged him.
(d) To save France from atheism.
2. What does the "form" of any kind of art express?
(a) A system of values.
(b) Whatever the audience chooses.
(c) Only one possible message.
(d) The materials from which the art is constructed.
3. Rabelais' description of Alcibiades reflects:
(a) The good/evil dichotomy of mankind.
(b) The idea that ancient philosophies were incorrect.
(c) The image of Rabelais himself.
(d) The abuse/praise dynamics of the marketplace.
4. How does the Lord of Basche contrive to bring Catchpoles to his castle?
(a) By offering people absolution from their sins.
(b) By celebrating Mass.
(c) By celebrating mock weddings.
(d) By giving away his possessions.
5. What does Bakhtin find to be the greatest error other critics make in their studies of Rabelais' works?
(a) They treat Rabelais as a prophet of literary upheavals.
(b) They classify Rabelais as just as important as Shakespeare and Cervantes.
(c) They neglect to explore the element of the Renaissance folk culture.
(d) They read Rabelais' works as allegory only.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Renaissance, bodily excretions were closely associated with:
2. What is the theme of "cuckoldry"?
3. What repressive organization was Bakhtin forced to join in order to continue writing?
4. "Tripe" literally refers to:
5. Why did Bakhtin feel his times were comparable to those of the Renaissance?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)