Eight Week Quiz E
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11, Chapter 3 - Popular - Festive Forms.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bakhtin, what is directly related to the oversized foods common at Renaissance feasts?
(a) The swelling of religious fervor during holy days.
(b) Bodily restraint as a result of mind over matter.
(c) Grotesque portrayals of the stomach, mouth, and genitals.
(d) The general health of a town's population.
2. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
(a) To be sold for money or services.
(b) To glorify the artist.
(c) To be beautiful in and of itself.
(d) To communicate meaningful messages.
3. What style does Bakhtin find the prologue of _Pantagruel_ to be written in?
(a) It is dark and foreboding.
(b) It is ironic and maliciously exaggerated.
(c) It is innocent and childlike.
(d) It is rhetorical and persuasive.
4. In the Renaissance, bodily excretions were closely associated with:
(a) The social status of the individual.
(b) The inherent evilness or goodness of the individual.
(c) The individual's sexual purity.
(d) The overall health of the individual.
5. The purpose of "travesty" in folk festivals was to:
(a) Irreversibly denigrate everything it could.
(b) Call upon something serious and make it amusing.
(c) Reassert traditional definitions of social and spiritual life.
(d) Indicate the importance of travel to an individual's self-development.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rabelais' description of Alcibiades reflects:
2. Who is Janotus de Bragmardo?
3. When did the Russian Revolution occur?
4. How did Rabelais obtain the material for his writings?
5. What are the "intelligentsia"?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)