|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Chapter 2, Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of work did Rabelais often publish, especially for the fairs?
(a) Biographies of public figures.
(b) Calendars or almanacs.
(c) Political treatises.
(d) Religious tracts.
2. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
(a) To be beautiful in and of itself.
(b) To be sold for money or services.
(c) To communicate meaningful messages.
(d) To glorify the artist.
3. What in particular forms the basic elements of Rabelais' novel _Gargantua_?
(a) Predictions of the future.
(b) Autobiographical observations of Rabelais' own life.
(c) Classical myths.
(d) Historical allusions.
4. Did the "unofficial" and "official" forms of speech ever coincide?
(a) Yes, especially during festivals.
(b) No, both forms of speech were highly regulated.
(c) No, except during times of war.
(d) Yes, except for religious holidays.
5. During Bakhtin's time, what genre was being closely defined by the Soviet government?
(a) The biography.
(b) The lyric.
(c) The novel.
(d) The epic poem.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Rabelais' billingsgate elements considered "coarse and cynical" by most scholars?
2. What work of literature is parodied in the prologue of _Gargantua_?
3. With what is "folk culture" most concerned?
4. Medieval parodies were:
5. What does Bakhtin consider the most indispensable element of folk culture?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)