|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the folklore and grotesque realism of Rabelais' works, excrement represents bodies and matter that are:
(a) One with the earth.
(b) Frightening and terrible.
(c) Generally revered.
(d) Mostly comic.
2. Mikhail Bakhtin is:
(a) A vocal Eastern Orthodox cleric.
(b) A fictional figure created to be the mouthpiece of an anonymous author.
(c) The most famous Russian writer ever.
(d) A somewhat mysterious but increasingly interesting literary figure.
3. Medieval parodies were:
(a) Focused on the negative aspects of society.
(b) Limited to religious parody.
(c) Concerned with the positive, humorous aspects of everything.
(d) Limited to parody of individuals.
4. With what portion of the body is grotesque debasement most concerned?
(a) The head and eyes.
(b) The arms and legs.
(c) The material lower stratum.
(d) The spiritual interior essence.
5. What was unique about the Russian Revolution?
(a) It was purely a religious revolt.
(b) People of all classes and occupations were centrally involved.
(c) Only the elite class was involved.
(d) It continues into the present day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the French Romanticists respond to Rabelais' works?
2. What style does Bakhtin find the prologue of _Pantagruel_ to be written in?
3. What does Bakhtin consider the most indispensable element of folk culture?
4. In which twentieth-century movement was the grotesque especially evident?
5. Bakhtin believes that novels are:
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)