|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, Chapter 6 - Images of the Material Bodily Lower Stratum.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rabelais associate closely with the underworld?
(a) Bodily depression after too much feasting.
(b) The depths of the human heart.
(c) Various types of holes.
(d) Mountains and ridges.
2. In Rabelais' time, why was the meaning of debasement often ambivalent?
(a) Because the head is quite separate from all the other parts of the body, spiritually and materially.
(b) Because the debased person may choose to deflect the debasement.
(c) Because the person saying the insult never means it seriously.
(d) Because the decaying or excretory organs are closely located to the regenerative genital organs.
3. Bakhtin associates Friar John's beating of the men with:
(a) Juvenalian satires of public figures.
(b) Market vendors who assault non-paying customers.
(c) The Dionysian feast of the grape harvest.
(d) The last charge of Charlemagne.
4. How did Rabelais obtain the material for his writings?
(a) By attending many fairs and festivals and observing all the people there.
(b) By studying manuscripts for long hours in monasteries.
(c) By interviewing thousands of market vendors.
(d) By receiving a divine revelation.
5. The vocabulary of the prologue of _Gargantua_ is:
(a) Objective and editorially distant.
(b) Loaded with comparatives and superlatives.
(c) Quietly reflective and speculative.
(d) Purely abusive and vulgar.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the folklore and grotesque realism of Rabelais' works, excrement represents bodies and matter that are:
2. In grotesque realism, the body is most often represented as:
3. How is the figure of the king treated in Rabelais' writing?
4. What does the "form" of any kind of art express?
5. How did the French Romanticists respond to Rabelais' works?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)