|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, Chapter 6 - Images of the Material Bodily Lower Stratum.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What actual event probably inspired Rabelais' story of Pantagruel's birth?
(a) The French victory of a battle with the Spanish.
(b) An unusual heat wave and drought.
(c) A famine resulting from an unusually cold winter.
(d) An earthquake which devastated southern France.
2. During the "feast of fools" and the "feast of the ass," laughter:
(a) Was regulated by the town fools and farmers.
(b) Was forbidden because of the sacredness of the festival.
(c) Was encouraged even in church.
(d) Was forbidden everywhere but the marketplace.
3. According to Bakhtin, what is directly related to the oversized foods common at Renaissance feasts?
(a) The general health of a town's population.
(b) The swelling of religious fervor during holy days.
(c) Grotesque portrayals of the stomach, mouth, and genitals.
(d) Bodily restraint as a result of mind over matter.
4. What does Rabelais associate closely with the underworld?
(a) Various types of holes.
(b) Bodily depression after too much feasting.
(c) Mountains and ridges.
(d) The depths of the human heart.
5. How is a "prophetic riddle" game carnivalesque in nature?
(a) It stresses the importance of feasting and drinking.
(b) It is always sung in a rhymed singsong tone.
(c) It stresses the destruction of the established order and hierarchy of society.
(d) It focuses on gaiety and humor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bakhtin thinks that life is:
2. What significant thing did translators of Rabelais' work add to their translations?
3. In the Prologue of the Third Book, to which contemporary events does Rabelais allude?
4. What body part is most often used in grotesque caricatures of sexual potency?
5. Rabelais expresses the debasement of suffering and fear by associating them with:
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)