|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, Chapter 6 - Images of the Material Bodily Lower Stratum.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which side of the Renaissance debate about the nature of women and wedlock did Rabelais tend to take?
(a) The Roman tradition.
(b) The English tradition.
(c) The Gallic tradition.
(d) The Idealizing tradition.
2. The combination of solemnity and joking in the tone of the Prologue to the Third Book indicates:
(a) The confusion the author experiences with this combination.
(b) The importance and necessity of laughter.
(c) The complex explanation of the Prologue to the readers.
(d) The opinion that humor must be subordinate to seriousness.
3. Why does Friar John beat thousands of men in his abbey?
(a) To save the abbey's vineyards.
(b) As a show of force to deter invaders.
(c) Another Friar challenged him.
(d) To save France from atheism.
4. Who is Janotus de Bragmardo?
(a) A robber who stumbles across Gargantua's treasure.
(b) A scholar sent to recover church bells from Gargantua.
(c) A market vendor scheming to cheat Gargantua.
(d) A clown who mocks Gargantua at Carnival.
5. What is especially apparent in Rabelais' own "Pantagruelesque Prognostic" prophecy?
(a) Images of the material body and of festivity.
(b) Images of the wrath of nature and of destruction.
(c) Predictions concerning lovers.
(d) Predictions of wars and slaughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what is "folk culture" most concerned?
2. Bakhtin notes that two of the most commonly combined themes in Medieval popular literature relating to monks are:
3. What work of literature is parodied in the prologue of _Gargantua_?
4. During the "feast of fools" and the "feast of the ass," laughter:
5. How does Bakhtin define the episode involving Villon and Tappecoue?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)