|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, Chapter 6 - Images of the Material Bodily Lower Stratum.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The verbal interactions between the Renaissance marketplace hawker and the crowd were above all:
(a) Abusive and derogatory.
(b) Distantly suggestive.
(c) Timid and quiet.
(d) Free and frank.
2. What in particular forms the basic elements of Rabelais' novel _Gargantua_?
(a) Classical myths.
(b) Autobiographical observations of Rabelais' own life.
(c) Historical allusions.
(d) Predictions of the future.
3. What are the "intelligentsia"?
(a) An elite spy organization.
(b) The bits of knowledge all people accumulate over their lifetimes.
(c) A group which provides an interpretation of the world.
(d) A group of exclusively male scholars.
4. In Medieval satires, the dismemberment of portions of the body relates to:
(a) The general conception of the divine.
(b) The human body itself.
(c) The topography of the continents.
(d) The separate portions of society.
5. How did the French Romanticists respond to Rabelais' works?
(a) With complete understanding of Medieval and Renaissance culture.
(b) With disgust and negative criticism.
(c) With an appreciation of, and interest in, the grotesque.
(d) They ignored Rabelais completely.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the figure of the king treated in Rabelais' writing?
2. From which Catholic ritual does Panurge profit in _Pantagruel_?
3. Bakhtin finds food and drink representative of society because:
4. Goethe traces the roots of Carnival to the:
5. Bakhtin defines the early French work "The Play in the Bower" as a:
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)