|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, Chapter 6 - Images of the Material Bodily Lower Stratum.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bakhtin believes that novels are:
(a) Inherently confessional.
(b) Utterly separate from the author's own life.
(c) Random, like stream-of-consciousness.
(d) Socially charged and polemical.
2. Why did Hippocrates assert such an influence on Rabelais?
(a) The theme of religious fervor in his works.
(b) The theme of the grotesque body in his works.
(c) Hippocrates' exclusive emphasis on folk culture.
(d) All his works were set in the marketplace.
3. How did the French Romanticists respond to Rabelais' works?
(a) With an appreciation of, and interest in, the grotesque.
(b) They ignored Rabelais completely.
(c) With disgust and negative criticism.
(d) With complete understanding of Medieval and Renaissance culture.
4. How, according to Bakhtin, does the current Russian literary criticism approach Rabelais' works?
(a) By denouncing them as counterproductive to the ongoing Russian Revolution.
(b) By reviving their content in new, twentieth-century forms.
(c) By sharing them with an eager public.
(d) By trying to correctly interpret the source of the cultural laughter within them.
5. Curses in Renaissance folk culture tended to focus most closely upon the victim's:
Short Answer Questions
1. Why, according to Bakhtin, does Rabelais treat excrement ambivalently?
2. What do Rabelais' various works indicate about the popular notion of urination?
3. Why does Gargantua steal the bells of the Notre Dame cathedral?
4. Bakhtin asserts that in Rabelais' time, food and banquets always contained a sense of:
5. Medieval parodies were:
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)