|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, Chapter 6 - Images of the Material Bodily Lower Stratum.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bakhtin asserts that "The Play in the Bower" influenced Rabelais' work specifically in its:
(a) Themes of unofficial laughter and banquet imagery.
(b) Adherence to the rules of proper religious worship.
(c) Themes of human sadness, pessimism, and regret.
(d) Demonstration of rigid and correctly class-conscious behavior.
2. How did the French Romanticists respond to Rabelais' works?
(a) They ignored Rabelais completely.
(b) With an appreciation of, and interest in, the grotesque.
(c) With disgust and negative criticism.
(d) With complete understanding of Medieval and Renaissance culture.
3. How does Bakhtin say Ivan the Terrible of Russia was similar to Rabelais?
(a) He also was a prolific and controversial writer.
(b) He too challenged old political and social structures.
(c) They both fought bloody battles against the reigning monarch.
(d) They both travelled anonymously to Carnival festivities.
4. What was the reception of Rabelais' work in the eighteenth century?
(a) Other writers used his topics as a jumping-off point for their own works.
(b) His work was viewed as unintelligible and barbaric.
(c) His work was viewed as a revival of Classical writing.
(d) Other writers strove to emulate his style.
5. Comic rituals in Medieval and Renaissance Europe were:
(a) Freed of the trappings of religious dogma and mysticism.
(b) Taboo in all settings but the royal court.
(c) All that which linked the living to the dead.
(d) Necessary to mercantile transactions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of work did Rabelais often publish, especially for the fairs?
2. The defense of the abbey by Friar John contains:
3. What common fifteenth- and sixteenth-century literary device does Bakhtin identify in the Prologue to the Third Book?
4. What is a "marketplace spectacle"?
5. Which grotesque elements does Bakhtin note were included in the procession of the feast of Corpus Christi?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)