|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, Chapter 6 - Images of the Material Bodily Lower Stratum.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The episode in which Pantagruel and his companions defeat King Anarchus' knights combines:
(a) Human instinct with forethought.
(b) Nature with artifice.
(c) Love with hate.
(d) Slaughter with feasting.
2. Bakhtin associates Friar John's beating of the men with:
(a) The Dionysian feast of the grape harvest.
(b) Market vendors who assault non-paying customers.
(c) The last charge of Charlemagne.
(d) Juvenalian satires of public figures.
3. What does Bakhtin consider the most indispensable element of folk culture?
(b) Death rituals.
4. In the Fourth Book, why does Villon set a trap for Tappecoue (or "Ticklepecker")?
(a) Tappecoue refused to lend Villon vestments for his play.
(b) Tappecoue refused to lie to the king about Villon's sacrilege.
(c) Tappecoue stole a large sum of money from Villon.
(d) Tappecoue insulted Villon's family.
5. Bakhtin asserts that in the episode of Gargantua's birth, the dividing lines between _______ are erased.
(a) Human and animal consciousness.
(b) Human and animal organs.
(c) Earthly and divine spiritual relationships.
(d) Children and adults.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
2. In the Renaissance, bodily excretions were closely associated with:
3. In which element of Shakespeare's dramas does Bakhtin see the overall theme of Rabelais' carnivalesque repeated?
4. In the example Schneegans offers, what does Rabelais' Friar John assert makes women fertile?
5. Bakhtin defines Rabelais' giants as:
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)