|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, Chapter 6 - Images of the Material Bodily Lower Stratum.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gargamelle gives birth to Gargantua as a result of:
(a) Praying for a child.
(b) Eating too much tripe.
(c) A spirit impregnating her.
(d) Casting a spell of birth.
2. What is a "marketplace spectacle"?
(a) A theatrical production arranged atop a platform in the center of the marketplace.
(b) A series of booths dedicated solely to bilking customers out of their money.
(c) The mundane goings-on of a typical French Renaissance marketplace.
(d) Specifically the public whipping of a criminal in the center of the marketplace.
3. How does Friar John interpret the riddle he and Gargantua hear?
(a) As a promise of Armageddon and the return of Christ.
(b) As an indication of his own increasing wealth.
(c) As a promise of winter floods and summer drought.
(d) As a representation of a tennis match.
4. Bakhtin thinks that life is:
(a) A sacrifice the soul makes to the body.
(b) Meaningless and futile.
(c) Organized by human acts of behavior and cognition.
(d) Inert, chaotic, and requiring the intervention of art.
5. In Medieval satires, the dismemberment of portions of the body relates to:
(a) The general conception of the divine.
(b) The topography of the continents.
(c) The separate portions of society.
(d) The human body itself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the theme of "cuckoldry"?
2. What type of work did Rabelais often publish, especially for the fairs?
3. The purpose of "travesty" in folk festivals was to:
4. How does Bakhtin define the novel?
5. How does Bakhtin interpret the relevance of the cries of Paris to Renaissance France?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)