|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of work did Rabelais often publish, especially for the fairs?
(a) Biographies of public figures.
(b) Political treatises.
(c) Religious tracts.
(d) Calendars or almanacs.
2. The verbal interactions between the Renaissance marketplace hawker and the crowd were above all:
(a) Distantly suggestive.
(b) Free and frank.
(c) Abusive and derogatory.
(d) Timid and quiet.
3. With what portion of the body is grotesque debasement most concerned?
(a) The head and eyes.
(b) The material lower stratum.
(c) The arms and legs.
(d) The spiritual interior essence.
4. Clowns and fools are:
(a) Present only at large fairs or gatherings.
(b) Prisoners forced to entertain others.
(c) Restricted to entertaining the royal court.
(d) Everyday representatives of the folk and of Carnival.
5. In Rabelais' time, why was the meaning of debasement often ambivalent?
(a) Because the head is quite separate from all the other parts of the body, spiritually and materially.
(b) Because the debased person may choose to deflect the debasement.
(c) Because the decaying or excretory organs are closely located to the regenerative genital organs.
(d) Because the person saying the insult never means it seriously.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bakhtin thinks that life is:
2. In which twentieth-century movement was the grotesque especially evident?
3. How is the Rabelaisian use of tripe an excellent example of grotesque realism?
4. What does Bakhtin find inadequate in Veselovsky's metaphor of Rabelais as a village boy?
5. Mikhail Bakhtin is:
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)