|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bakhtin define the novel?
(a) As a multiplicity of styles.
(b) As a single-voiced text.
(c) As a worthless type of literature.
(d) As a work of pure imagination.
2. With what portion of the body is grotesque debasement most concerned?
(a) The spiritual interior essence.
(b) The material lower stratum.
(c) The arms and legs.
(d) The head and eyes.
3. In Rabelais' works, some causes of diseases associated with the material body lower stratum are:
(a) Results of a sickly infancy and childhood.
(b) Divine retribution for one's sins.
(c) Results of public punishments for social crimes.
(d) Overindulgence in food, drink, and sex.
4. Why are Rabelais' billingsgate elements considered "coarse and cynical" by most scholars?
(a) Many scholars interpret them only in a modern context.
(b) The Latin derivations of his scatological vocabulary mean "cynical."
(c) Many scholars believe that Rabelais himself was bitter from publication disputes.
(d) These elements express a deep distrust of contemporary society.
5. Which answer best describes "grotesque realism"?
(a) The bodily element is universal, celebratory, positive, and exaggerated.
(b) The tone of the writing is always dark, Gothic, and depressing.
(c) The writing must strive to be as mathematically or geometrically accurate as possible in its descriptions.
(d) The author's focus must be on bodily gore, blood, death, and dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what is "folk culture" most concerned?
2. Medieval parodies were:
3. Carnival allowed:
4. What was unique about the Russian Revolution?
5. Mikhail Bakhtin is:
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)