|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Bakhtin and Rabelais similar?
(a) They both write mostly novels.
(b) They both directly challenge the government by running for political office.
(c) They both subvert the social prohibition on laughter, satire, and irony.
(d) They live in the same country.
2. How are abusive and praiseful words reflective of grotesque realism?
(a) The words are spoken in a language the listener cannot understand, so they sound like gibberish.
(b) The words reflect incompatible sides of certain social classes of people.
(c) The words combine two sides of the same form or feeling into an ambivalent but cohesive social structure.
(d) The words are carefully chosen by the speaker to disgust the listener.
3. What does Bakhtin find to be the greatest error other critics make in their studies of Rabelais' works?
(a) They neglect to explore the element of the Renaissance folk culture.
(b) They treat Rabelais as a prophet of literary upheavals.
(c) They read Rabelais' works as allegory only.
(d) They classify Rabelais as just as important as Shakespeare and Cervantes.
4. In Rabelais' works, some causes of diseases associated with the material body lower stratum are:
(a) Overindulgence in food, drink, and sex.
(b) Results of a sickly infancy and childhood.
(c) Divine retribution for one's sins.
(d) Results of public punishments for social crimes.
5. What does Bakhtin argue is the role of dialogue?
(a) To oppose the authoritarian word.
(b) To give one character a strong voice.
(c) To demonstrate thinking out loud.
(d) To move the plot along.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bakhtin define the novel?
2. Bakhtin believes that novels are:
3. Bakhtin thinks that life is:
4. How, according to Bakhtin, does the current Russian literary criticism approach Rabelais' works?
5. What do oaths and curses have in common with town announcements and the calls of vendors?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)