|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bakhtin consider the most indispensable element of folk culture?
(b) Death rituals.
2. The purpose of "travesty" in folk festivals was to:
(a) Call upon something serious and make it amusing.
(b) Irreversibly denigrate everything it could.
(c) Reassert traditional definitions of social and spiritual life.
(d) Indicate the importance of travel to an individual's self-development.
3. How are Bakhtin and Rabelais similar?
(a) They both subvert the social prohibition on laughter, satire, and irony.
(b) They both directly challenge the government by running for political office.
(c) They both write mostly novels.
(d) They live in the same country.
4. What type of work did Rabelais often publish, especially for the fairs?
(a) Religious tracts.
(b) Calendars or almanacs.
(c) Biographies of public figures.
(d) Political treatises.
5. In which twentieth-century movement was the grotesque especially evident?
Short Answer Questions
1. Curses in Renaissance folk culture tended to focus most closely upon the victim's:
2. To what does Veselovsky compare Rabelais?
3. Bakhtin connects Medieval "seriousness" most closely to:
4. How are abusive and praiseful words reflective of grotesque realism?
5. In the folklore and grotesque realism of Rabelais' works, excrement represents bodies and matter that are:
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)