|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which answer best describes "grotesque realism"?
(a) The tone of the writing is always dark, Gothic, and depressing.
(b) The writing must strive to be as mathematically or geometrically accurate as possible in its descriptions.
(c) The bodily element is universal, celebratory, positive, and exaggerated.
(d) The author's focus must be on bodily gore, blood, death, and dying.
2. How did the French Romanticists respond to Rabelais' works?
(a) With disgust and negative criticism.
(b) With complete understanding of Medieval and Renaissance culture.
(c) They ignored Rabelais completely.
(d) With an appreciation of, and interest in, the grotesque.
3. When did the Russian Revolution occur?
4. According to Bakhtin's semiotic understanding, what irony is inherent within the creative power of language?
(a) No word can actually ever be defined.
(b) Language does not actually express anything.
(c) The individual expresses him- or herself only through the words of others.
(d) All languages are one.
5. Carnival allowed:
(a) The peasants to sell their crops without paying taxes.
(b) The mixing of real and unreal, fantasy and fact.
(c) The upper class to oppress relentlessly the lower class.
(d) The endurance of the propriety expected of all social classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Rabelais' time, why was the meaning of debasement often ambivalent?
2. What do oaths and curses have in common with town announcements and the calls of vendors?
3. What do Rabelais' various works indicate about the popular notion of urination?
4. What does Bakhtin argue is the role of dialogue?
5. What does the "form" of any kind of art express?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)