|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what portion of the body is grotesque debasement most concerned?
(a) The head and eyes.
(b) The arms and legs.
(c) The material lower stratum.
(d) The spiritual interior essence.
2. When the grotesque was revived in the Romantic era, what did it react against?
(a) Imaginative fantasy.
(b) Neoclassical, rational, Enlightenment thought.
(c) Individual, sentimental ideas.
(d) The rediscovered works of Shakespeare and Cervantes.
3. How does Bakhtin define the novel?
(a) As a multiplicity of styles.
(b) As a worthless type of literature.
(c) As a work of pure imagination.
(d) As a single-voiced text.
4. What do some critics argue has been absent from Russian literature?
(a) Religious fervor.
(b) Political dissent.
(c) A particularly Western type of humor.
(d) Sexually-charged dialogue.
5. What are the "intelligentsia"?
(a) A group which provides an interpretation of the world.
(b) The bits of knowledge all people accumulate over their lifetimes.
(c) A group of exclusively male scholars.
(d) An elite spy organization.
Short Answer Questions
1. Comic rituals in Medieval and Renaissance Europe were:
2. During the "feast of fools" and the "feast of the ass," laughter:
3. After Rabelais' time, the use of laughter in literature and culture moved in which direction?
4. "Tripe" literally refers to:
5. In Rabelais' works, some causes of diseases associated with the material body lower stratum are:
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)