|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bakhtin's semiotic understanding, what irony is inherent within the creative power of language?
(a) The individual expresses him- or herself only through the words of others.
(b) All languages are one.
(c) Language does not actually express anything.
(d) No word can actually ever be defined.
2. What are the "intelligentsia"?
(a) An elite spy organization.
(b) The bits of knowledge all people accumulate over their lifetimes.
(c) A group of exclusively male scholars.
(d) A group which provides an interpretation of the world.
3. When did the Russian Revolution occur?
4. What was the reception of Rabelais' work in the eighteenth century?
(a) Other writers used his topics as a jumping-off point for their own works.
(b) His work was viewed as a revival of Classical writing.
(c) Other writers strove to emulate his style.
(d) His work was viewed as unintelligible and barbaric.
5. What in particular forms the basic elements of Rabelais' novel _Gargantua_?
(a) Historical allusions.
(b) Autobiographical observations of Rabelais' own life.
(c) Predictions of the future.
(d) Classical myths.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of work did Rabelais often publish, especially for the fairs?
2. What was unique about the Russian Revolution?
3. Carnival allowed:
4. Why, according to Bakhtin, is Rabelais' parody of the Church not considered heresy?
5. During Bakhtin's time, what genre was being closely defined by the Soviet government?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)