|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mikhail Bakhtin is:
(a) A somewhat mysterious but increasingly interesting literary figure.
(b) The most famous Russian writer ever.
(c) A fictional figure created to be the mouthpiece of an anonymous author.
(d) A vocal Eastern Orthodox cleric.
2. What does Bakhtin consider the most indispensable element of folk culture?
(a) Death rituals.
3. How did the French Romanticists respond to Rabelais' works?
(a) They ignored Rabelais completely.
(b) With disgust and negative criticism.
(c) With complete understanding of Medieval and Renaissance culture.
(d) With an appreciation of, and interest in, the grotesque.
4. Why was Rabelais linked so closely to the Lyon fairs?
(a) Rabelais was a performing clown for several years in these fairs.
(b) The organizers of the fairs in Lyon banned Rabelais from attending them.
(c) Rabelais was a chief organizer of these fairs.
(d) Lyon fairs represented one of the largest markets for publishing.
5. How are abusive and praiseful words reflective of grotesque realism?
(a) The words are spoken in a language the listener cannot understand, so they sound like gibberish.
(b) The words are carefully chosen by the speaker to disgust the listener.
(c) The words reflect incompatible sides of certain social classes of people.
(d) The words combine two sides of the same form or feeling into an ambivalent but cohesive social structure.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bakhtin connects Medieval "seriousness" most closely to:
2. During the "feast of fools" and the "feast of the ass," laughter:
3. What does young Gargantua study in order to become acquainted with the common folk?
4. Bakhtin believes that novels are:
5. Clowns and fools are:
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)