|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of work did Rabelais often publish, especially for the fairs?
(a) Calendars or almanacs.
(b) Political treatises.
(c) Religious tracts.
(d) Biographies of public figures.
2. After Rabelais' time, the use of laughter in literature and culture moved in which direction?
(a) From spiritual to earthly.
(b) From singular to universal.
(c) From accepted to encouraged.
(d) From universal to restricted.
3. How does Bakhtin define the novel?
(a) As a single-voiced text.
(b) As a work of pure imagination.
(c) As a multiplicity of styles.
(d) As a worthless type of literature.
4. What style does Bakhtin find the prologue of _Pantagruel_ to be written in?
(a) It is dark and foreboding.
(b) It is innocent and childlike.
(c) It is ironic and maliciously exaggerated.
(d) It is rhetorical and persuasive.
5. The prologue of _Pantagruel_ is a parody and travesty of:
(a) The fables of ancient Greece.
(b) The ignorance of the peasantry.
(c) The pomp and circumstance of the aristocracy.
(d) The ecclesiastical persuasiveness of the Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bakhtin connects Medieval "seriousness" most closely to:
2. How are abusive and praiseful words reflective of grotesque realism?
3. With what is "folk culture" most concerned?
4. In the folklore and grotesque realism of Rabelais' works, excrement represents bodies and matter that are:
5. Why are Rabelais' billingsgate elements considered "coarse and cynical" by most scholars?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)