|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the seventeenth century, the decline of laughter as a primary force in folk culture resulted from:
(a) The exhaustion of any new sources of humor.
(b) The need of the public for other forms of diversion.
(c) An increasingly "official" culture of rationalism.
(d) The declining number of Carnival performers.
2. In Rabelais' time, why was the meaning of debasement often ambivalent?
(a) Because the debased person may choose to deflect the debasement.
(b) Because the head is quite separate from all the other parts of the body, spiritually and materially.
(c) Because the decaying or excretory organs are closely located to the regenerative genital organs.
(d) Because the person saying the insult never means it seriously.
3. The purpose of "travesty" in folk festivals was to:
(a) Reassert traditional definitions of social and spiritual life.
(b) Call upon something serious and make it amusing.
(c) Indicate the importance of travel to an individual's self-development.
(d) Irreversibly denigrate everything it could.
4. Which answer best describes "grotesque realism"?
(a) The bodily element is universal, celebratory, positive, and exaggerated.
(b) The tone of the writing is always dark, Gothic, and depressing.
(c) The writing must strive to be as mathematically or geometrically accurate as possible in its descriptions.
(d) The author's focus must be on bodily gore, blood, death, and dying.
5. How are abusive and praiseful words reflective of grotesque realism?
(a) The words are spoken in a language the listener cannot understand, so they sound like gibberish.
(b) The words reflect incompatible sides of certain social classes of people.
(c) The words are carefully chosen by the speaker to disgust the listener.
(d) The words combine two sides of the same form or feeling into an ambivalent but cohesive social structure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What repressive organization was Bakhtin forced to join in order to continue writing?
2. What does young Gargantua study in order to become acquainted with the common folk?
3. What does Bakhtin argue is the role of dialogue?
4. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
5. What style does Bakhtin find the prologue of _Pantagruel_ to be written in?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)