|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do some critics argue has been absent from Russian literature?
(a) Political dissent.
(b) Sexually-charged dialogue.
(c) A particularly Western type of humor.
(d) Religious fervor.
2. Why, according to Bakhtin, is Rabelais' parody of the Church not considered heresy?
(a) The Church received an annual tribute from Rabelais, so it overlooked his parodies.
(b) The clergy paid no attention to Rabelais' works.
(c) Rabelais follows every criticism with heartfelt praise.
(d) Rabelais maintains a comic style, so no one could mistake him for being serious.
3. What does the "form" of any kind of art express?
(a) Whatever the audience chooses.
(b) The materials from which the art is constructed.
(c) A system of values.
(d) Only one possible message.
4. How is the Rabelaisian use of tripe an excellent example of grotesque realism?
(a) It merges the positive and negative, or upper and lower, spheres of the body.
(b) It is the epitome of disgusting.
(c) It combines fantasy with reality in one type of cuisine.
(d) It is a drug which offers the user a glimpse of a higher plane of existence.
5. The prologue of _Pantagruel_ is a parody and travesty of:
(a) The ecclesiastical persuasiveness of the Church.
(b) The pomp and circumstance of the aristocracy.
(c) The fables of ancient Greece.
(d) The ignorance of the peasantry.
Short Answer Questions
1. The purpose of "travesty" in folk festivals was to:
2. Bakhtin believes that novels are:
3. What does young Gargantua study in order to become acquainted with the common folk?
4. Bakhtin thinks that life is:
5. What is "man's second nature," according to Renaissance Christian doctrine?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)