|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Bakhtin feel his times were comparable to those of the Renaissance?
(a) Two political leaders of the different eras were incredibly alike.
(b) The literatures and cultures of both eras bore a distinct resemblance.
(c) Both eras were times of broad social change that left people unsure of how to proceed.
(d) The specific threat of disease was killing many people in both times.
2. What is "man's second nature," according to Renaissance Christian doctrine?
(a) The thoughtfulness of the individual mind.
(b) Man's higher spiritual calling.
(c) The celebratory but degrading impulse toward gluttony, scatology, and sex.
(d) The way people act differently around those of another social class.
3. Why are Rabelais' billingsgate elements considered "coarse and cynical" by most scholars?
(a) These elements express a deep distrust of contemporary society.
(b) Many scholars interpret them only in a modern context.
(c) The Latin derivations of his scatological vocabulary mean "cynical."
(d) Many scholars believe that Rabelais himself was bitter from publication disputes.
4. In the seventeenth century, the decline of laughter as a primary force in folk culture resulted from:
(a) The declining number of Carnival performers.
(b) The need of the public for other forms of diversion.
(c) An increasingly "official" culture of rationalism.
(d) The exhaustion of any new sources of humor.
5. During Bakhtin's time, what genre was being closely defined by the Soviet government?
(a) The epic poem.
(b) The lyric.
(c) The novel.
(d) The biography.
Short Answer Questions
1. Comic rituals in Medieval and Renaissance Europe were:
2. In Rabelais' works, some causes of diseases associated with the material body lower stratum are:
3. In which twentieth-century movement was the grotesque especially evident?
4. To what does Veselovsky compare Rabelais?
5. What repressive organization was Bakhtin forced to join in order to continue writing?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)