|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Chapter 2 - Language of the Marketplace Cont..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bakhtin, what is the function of art?
(a) To communicate meaningful messages.
(b) To be beautiful in and of itself.
(c) To be sold for money or services.
(d) To glorify the artist.
2. What does young Gargantua study in order to become acquainted with the common folk?
(a) The way young people are educated.
(b) Interactions between men and women.
(c) Physically demanding activities.
(d) Herbs and medicines.
3. "Tripe" literally refers to:
(a) The main blood vessel in the brain of a human.
(b) The stomach and bowels of cattle.
(c) A type of freshwater fish.
(d) A type of songbird.
4. Comic rituals in Medieval and Renaissance Europe were:
(a) All that which linked the living to the dead.
(b) Taboo in all settings but the royal court.
(c) Freed of the trappings of religious dogma and mysticism.
(d) Necessary to mercantile transactions.
5. What does the "form" of any kind of art express?
(a) Only one possible message.
(b) The materials from which the art is constructed.
(c) Whatever the audience chooses.
(d) A system of values.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bakhtin define the novel?
2. In which twentieth-century movement was the grotesque especially evident?
3. Curses in Renaissance folk culture tended to focus most closely upon the victim's:
4. Clowns and fools are:
5. Bakhtin believes that novels are:
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)