Four Week Quiz B
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, Chapter 6 - Images of the Material Bodily Lower Stratum.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bakhtin, Carnival was the true symbol and incarnation of:
(a) The sanctity of the Church.
(b) The natural world.
(c) The power of the monarchy.
(d) The folk festival.
2. What does the "form" of any kind of art express?
(a) A system of values.
(b) Only one possible message.
(c) Whatever the audience chooses.
(d) The materials from which the art is constructed.
3. How does Rabelais accomplish the grotesque degradation of his target in the prologue to the Third Book?
(a) By declaring the targets to be empty-headed.
(b) By insulting the targets' mothers.
(c) By declaring the targets incapable of the basest bodily functions.
(d) By accusing the targets of paganism and crimes against the Church.
4. The episode in which Pantagruel and his companions defeat King Anarchus' knights combines:
(a) Human instinct with forethought.
(b) Nature with artifice.
(c) Love with hate.
(d) Slaughter with feasting.
5. To what does Veselovsky compare Rabelais?
(a) An ironfisted dictator.
(b) A village boy.
(c) A pious priest.
(d) An elderly scholar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bakhtin asserts that the advertisement for "pantagruelion" in the Third Book expresses:
2. Bakhtin asserts that "The Play in the Bower" influenced Rabelais' work specifically in its:
3. During Bakhtin's time, what genre was being closely defined by the Soviet government?
4. Curses in Renaissance folk culture tended to focus most closely upon the victim's:
5. What repressive organization was Bakhtin forced to join in order to continue writing?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)