|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Erickson refers to an old adage that says, "It's just like ______."
2. Trauma may be responsible for causing what kind of mental states in a patient?
3. What is another word for believing something that has no proof or basis in science?
4. The student and the professor had a confrontation about which of the following?
5. Which is a form of trance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Erickson talks about forgotten skills. What does the doctor mean about forgotten skills? What was the example used?
2. The author includes a large number of examples featuring patients who are unaware of what actions? What kinds of results might there be from these particular actions?
3. What kind of information is given to the reader through the use of discussion regarding Erickson's techniques?
4. Why are patients unable or unwilling to help themselves to change their behaviors? Why does Erickson disagree?
5. Is it possible to recover from a set of forgotten skills? What example is used?
6. What does it mean to be in a trance? What kind of person or activity is most likely to experience the state?
7. What was Arthur's explanation for his preparedness when it came to taking the professor's test?
8. What is Erickson's primary method of treatment? What tool is used to treat the patient? What is the purpose?
9. What is the crux and purpose of MY VOICE WILL GO WITH YOU by Sidney Rosen?
10. What is mentioned as being a way for a patient to block success in treatment? What is one way in which the problem can be solved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author mentions the great physician Paracelsus, a 15-16th century physician. Paracelsus was also dubbed as the "Father of Toxicology." How does Erickson compare to Paracelsus? What is the connection between the two men? To what ideas of Paracelsus' did Erickson subscribe? Who do you think might be viewing Erickson's work as Erickson did Paracelsus? Give an example of how Erickson used Paracelsus' theories in his work.
Essay Topic 2
There is much written about the trance state and its various stages and uses. What are Erickson's beliefs and views on the trance state? What are the various levels of trance? What is the difference between a meditative state and a trance state? Which is more effective: a self-induced trance or one that is guided? Research and write a 1000 word essay on the use of trances and how they affect popular culture, including celebrities.
Essay Topic 3
Erickson states that it is not always necessary to solve an entire problem. Oftentimes, it is possible to solve 2/3 of the problem and the rest will work itself out. Do you believe that? Explain. How could it be possible for the remaining 1/3 to resolve itself? Does it get resolved or does it become a non-issue, get ignored, or is it pushed back into the subconscious to be revisited at another time?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)