|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many surgeries did the woman have to have in order to recover from her problems?
2. The student was studying what subject in college?
3. The author states that the beliefs about trances are:
4. The student was able to convince the other men of his innocence by supplying what item?
5. What does the author say is the best way to describe Erickson's approach to working with his patients?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe Erickson's approach to dealing with patients on a one-to-one basis.
2. What is the crux and purpose of MY VOICE WILL GO WITH YOU by Sidney Rosen?
3. What is automatic behavior? How can it be used to help patients?
4. Is it possible to recover from a set of forgotten skills? What example is used?
5. What was Arthur's explanation for his preparedness when it came to taking the professor's test?
6. The author talks about rapport and relating to another person. Why should one strive to build rapport?
7. Erickson chose to forge his own way in the practice of hypnotherapy by developing what? What were the developments designed to do?
8. What does Erickson say about forgetting the skill and the skills one possesses?
9. Erickson often received criticism for his methods of practice. Who gave out the criticism and what was the main complaint?
10. The author includes a large number of examples featuring patients who are unaware of what actions? What kinds of results might there be from these particular actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many famous psychiatrists, hypnotherapists and psychologists have tackled the issue of changing negative behaviors in patients. List at least five famous doctors and/or cases in which negative and/or dangerous behaviors were addressed and "cured" by the techniques referenced by Erickson.
Essay Topic 2
Personal power is an often discussed topic but not one that is always addressed in therapy. What is personal power? How is it achieved? Why is it important? What are Erickson's views on the subject? Write a 1000 word essay on personal power and what it means to you. Include how you incorporate - or should incorporate - it into your daily life. What differences would it make?
Essay Topic 3
Everyone has automatic behaviors in certain situations. The behaviors may stem from many issues but are almost always subconscious. What examples of automatic behavior are used in the text? Are the behaviors reasonable? Do you think you have any automatic behaviors? If so, what do they deal with? Do they have any connection to a physical injury like the woman in the book? Are the behaviors triggered by something specific? Ask family and friends for observations on your automatic behaviors. Once conscious of the behaviors, do you notice when you do it? Do you still do the behaviors?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)