|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Erickson's patients often think that they are:
2. The author states that if aware of certain behaviors - simple or complex - a patient may be able to:
3. What was Erickson's job while in college? What kind of salesman was he?
4. What was the main part of the student's system that allowed him to keep remarkable notes?
5. Which is a form of trance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is automatic behavior? How can it be used to help patients?
2. Erickson often received criticism for his methods of practice. Who gave out the criticism and what was the main complaint?
3. What is automatic writing? What is the process? How is it helpful?
4. What kind of information is given to the reader through the use of discussion regarding Erickson's techniques?
5. Who is Arthur? Why is Arthur's story important to the text presented by Rosen?
6. What is the crux and purpose of MY VOICE WILL GO WITH YOU by Sidney Rosen?
7. Explain one of the doctor's main tenets of practice and the theory behind it. How does this main tenet work into the patient's overall treatment plan?
8. What happened between Arthur and the professor? What was the conflict?
9. What is Erickson's primary method of treatment? What tool is used to treat the patient? What is the purpose?
10. What does Erickson say about forgetting the skill and the skills one possesses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people go into therapy wanting to make major changes in their lives, particularly if they are miserable in their current situations. Give at least five examples of things people may want to change, how Erickson would deal with those issues and the results. In what situations would small changes be best? In what situations would major changes take place right away? What is your opinion of small changes versus big changes in behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Many famous psychiatrists, hypnotherapists and psychologists have tackled the issue of changing negative behaviors in patients. List at least five famous doctors and/or cases in which negative and/or dangerous behaviors were addressed and "cured" by the techniques referenced by Erickson.
Essay Topic 3
Self-sabotage is very common in patients, particularly those who are attempting to make major life changes and/or abandoning a certain behavior or action. Give examples of self-sabotage. Did anyone in the text practice self-sabotage? How did Erickson deal with it? Was the problem resolved? Why did it happen in the first place? Write a 500 word essay on how self-sabotage has affected you.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)