|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sedaris feel he is sometimes called to do as an American living in Paris?
(a) He is called to apologize for Bill Clinton's exploits.
(b) He is called to defend his decision to keep his citizenship.
(c) He is called to explain his move to France.
(d) He is called to explain or defend America.
2. Sedaris has trouble sleeping since
(a) He moved in with Hugh.
(b) He gave up caffeinated beverages.
(c) He moved to Paris.
(d) He gave up drugs and alcohol.
3. Using the reference books, Sedaris discovers a whole new world of
4. Sedaris is somewhat flattered by the notion that he might be a pick-pocket because
(a) It allows him to hide his real identify.
(b) It allows him to behave as he sees fit.
(c) It endows him with skills hardly recognized in him.
(d) It endows him with some skill and mystery.
5. According to Sedaris, speaking Easy French means
(a) Speaking only conversational French.
(b) Using only nouns.
(c) Memorizing phrases from a guidebook.
(d) Screaming English at the top of your lungs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What led Sedaris to take an IQ test?
2. Sedaris takes it personally when his teacher says
3. Why did the class have to explain Easter to the Moroccan woman?
4. Hugh claims Sedaris is a genius at
5. Some of the themes Sedaris finds common in his fantasies are
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sedaris do to help himself sleep at night when various beverages fail him?
2. Why does Sedaris eventually take the Mensa IQ test?
3. Why does Sedaris fear he is considered the village idiot in Normandy?
4. Why does Sedaris find the many signs posted in America ironic?
5. Why is Sedaris devastated to learn that his former boyfriend works the Times crossword puzzle?
6. Ultimately, how does Sedaris claim to feel about Hugh's experiences?
7. Why are Sedaris' fantasies about manipulating American people rather than French people?
8. How has Sedaris' childhood been different from Hugh's?
9. Why does Sedaris allow the American couple to insult him without admitting he speaks English?
10. What has become Sedaris' habit when friends come to visit him in Paris?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)