|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Post-Structuralism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Eagleton, what kind of age do we live in, where "meaning, like everything else, is expected to be instantly consumable"?
2. According to Eagleton, "Literary Theory: An Introduction" has managed to reach readers beyond __________.
3. According to Eagleton, who would an ideal reader be for a structuralist?
(a) Someone who had intelligent codes at her or his disposal.
(b) Someone who had the right codes at her or his disposal.
(c) Someone who had all the codes at her or his disposal.
(d) Someone who didn't have any codes at her or his disposal.
4. According to Eagleton, "the meaning of a sign is a matter of what the sign is _____."
5. According to Eagleton, formalism is the application of what to the study of literature?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Eagleton, literature is definable "not according to whether it is fictional or "imaginative," because it uses language in ____ways."
2. According to Eagleton, what idea is "truly elitist" in literary studies?
3. What is the German word for how reality is not objective, but experienced and organized by an individual subject?
4. What is the difference between metaphor and metonymy?
5. How do linguists describe the effect of language where "the texture, rhythm and resonance of words are in excess of their abstractable meaning."
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)