|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Post-Structuralism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Eagleton, "in the terminology of reception theory, the reader _________ the literary work, which is in itself no more than a chain of organized black marks on a page."
2. In the eighteenth-century, what was the whole body of writing in society considered, including philosophy, letters, history, poems, and essays?
3. According to Eagleton, the subject in phenomenology was the source of all what?
4. According to Eagleton, what kind of thought does literary education NOT encourage?
(a) Creative thought.
(b) Rational thought.
(c) Analytical thought.
(d) Irrational thought.
5. Roland Barthes "double" sign is the "grandchild" of what kind of language of the Formalist and Czech structuralists?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Eagleton, who would an ideal reader be for a structuralist?
2. According to Eagleton, why did intellectuals preoccupy themselves with language in the late-nineteenth and twentieth centuries?
3. Who is the founder of modern structural linguistics?
4. For the literary theorist, Mikhail Bakhtin, "linguistic community" was what kind of society?
5. According to Eagleton, structuralism exposed what "shocking truth"?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)