|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Western country imported the most slaves?
(a) The United States.
2. What historical events at the turn of the century raised Japanese confidence?
(a) Being twice voted most popular tourist destination.
(b) Winning wars against China and Russia.
(c) Winning Nobel prizes for science and math.
(d) Accumulating more wealth than other Asian nations.
3. What are Puerto Ricans the only immigrants born possessing?
(a) Free passage to the U.S.
(b) U.S. citizenship.
(c) The English language.
(d) Enough money to immigrate.
4. By 1970, which city had the most Puerto Ricans?
(a) San Juan.
(c) New York.
5. What was the Bracero Program of 1942?
(a) Legal residence for contract Mexican workers.
(b) Deportation of illegal Mexican workers.
(c) Amnesty for illegal Mexican residents.
(d) Citizenship programs for illegal Mexican residents.
Short Answer Questions
1. In New York, what percentage of Chinese residents accepted federal aid during the Great Depression?
2. What was a "hatchet man"?
3. How did Chinese immigrants cope with discrimination?
4. What did the Japanese government do when immigrants to Hawaii were unhappy with working conditions?
5. What was higher among Puerto Ricans in New York than among either blacks or whites?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are black Americans both the oldest and the youngest immigrant group?
2. Why were most early Chinese immigrants to the U.S. sojourners?
3. What qualities distinguished Japanese school children in the U.S.?
4. What anti-Japanese legislation in California caused problems for the Japanese immigrants?
5. Why did most Chinese immigrants work in laundries and restaurants in the U.S.?
6. How was Chinese cultural diversity similar to that of Italy?
7. What negative effects did total dependence have on the slave population?
8. What are some socioeconomic results of early marriages and high fertility rates among Puerto Rican immigrants?
9. What is unique about the Mexican population in the Southwest?
10. Why has Mexican immigration divided the mainstream population?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)