|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mode of travel was first predominantly used in the Puerto Rican migration to the U.S.?
(d) Sailing ships.
2. What is a "coyote"?
(a) An Aztec symbol.
(b) A Mexican gang.
(c) An illegal drug.
(d) A smuggler of illegal immigrants.
3. What quality did U.S. slave owners encourage in their slaves?
4. Who were the first free persons of colors?
(a) Native-born blacks.
(b) Indentured servants who had completed their indentures.
(c) Freed slaves.
(d) Blacks from other countries.
5. What percentage of Puerto Ricans voted to be accepted as a U.S. state?
Short Answer Questions
1. What gave free persons of color a head start over other blacks?
2. What did Chinatowns become in the 20th century?
3. What does the typical Chinese immigrant in the U.S. do more than others?
4. How did Chinese immigrants cope with discrimination?
5. Under the Gentleman's Agreement, ____________limited the number of Japanese immigrants to the U.S.
Short Essay Questions
1. What qualities distinguished Japanese school children in the U.S.?
2. What are some signs of the slow acculturation of Mexican immigrants?
3. Why did most Chinese immigrants work in laundries and restaurants in the U.S.?
4. Why was marriage among slaves encouraged by slave owners?
5. Why were most early Chinese immigrants to the U.S. sojourners?
6. What negative effects did total dependence have on the slave population?
7. Why has Mexican immigration divided the mainstream population?
8. What are the "pushes" and "pulls" that bring Mexican immigrants to the United States?
9. How did Japan view the United States in the 19th century?
10. What effect did Chinese immigration to the United States have on Japanese immigrants?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)