|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the Hong Kong Chinese vulnerable to employer exploitation?
(a) Many are engaged in criminal activity.
(b) Many do not have job skills.
(c) Many are in the U.S. illegally.
(d) Many do not understand U.S. customs.
2. How did the Japanese crime rate compare with that of other immigrant communities?
(a) Slightly higher.
(b) Far higher.
(c) Far lower.
(d) Slightly lower.
3. How many slaves came to the Western Hemisphere?
(a) Twenty million.
(b) One million.
(c) Ten million.
(d) Five million.
4. How did Chinese immigrants cope with discrimination?
(a) Aggression and violence.
(b) Withdrawal and inconspicuousness.
(c) Pugnacity and toughness.
(d) Fear and intimidation.
5. How did many of the Japanese regard the United States during the 19th century?
(a) As an "earthly paradise."
(b) As the "home of our enemies."
(c) As a "hell on earth."
(d) As a "deprived nation."
Short Answer Questions
1. As those with different views left the South, what changed in the southern population?
2. What kind of governmental structure did most Puerto Ricans vote to continue?
3. Japanese pieceworkers earned ____________ than whites doing the same work.
4. What did Nat Turner lead?
5. Under the Gentleman's Agreement, ____________limited the number of Japanese immigrants to the U.S.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the "pushes" and "pulls" that bring Mexican immigrants to the United States?
2. What anti-Japanese legislation in California caused problems for the Japanese immigrants?
3. What was unusual about the Japanese government's approach to emigration to the U.S.?
4. Why has Mexican immigration divided the mainstream population?
5. What negative effects did total dependence have on the slave population?
6. What factors make Puerto Rican immigrants unique?
7. What factors account for Chinese success in the United States?
8. How do Puerto Ricans compare economically with other immigrant groups?
9. How did American law operate against Chinese immigrants?
10. Why did most Chinese immigrants work in laundries and restaurants in the U.S.?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)