|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quality did U.S. slave owners encourage in their slaves?
2. Most Japanese immigrants in the 19th century were young men from what kind of background?
3. Which Western country imported the most slaves?
(d) The United States.
4. How did Chinese immigrants finance business startups?
(a) Borrowing from employers.
(b) Maintaining high credit ratings.
(d) Rotating credit associations.
5. Why did many Japanese property owners in the U.S. put title to the land in the names of their children?
(a) The children were born in the U.S. and not subject to the Alien Land Law.
(b) The children could avoid excessive taxation.
(c) They hoped for greater prosperity for their children.
(d) They children could attract better marriage partners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "pushed" Mexicans to leave Mexico in the early 20th century?
2. Where did the Alien Land Law prohibit Japanese immigrants from buying land?
3. What did Nat Turner lead?
4. What was one tragic result of the U.S. government's restrictions on Chinese immigration?
5. After the 1906 earthquake, when 10,000 Japanese were left homeless, how many applied for public relief?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Mexican immigration divided the mainstream population?
2. Why were most early Chinese immigrants to the U.S. sojourners?
3. Why did most Chinese immigrants work in laundries and restaurants in the U.S.?
4. Why was marriage among slaves encouraged by slave owners?
5. What field of endeavor was essentially invented by immigrant Japanese?
6. How do Puerto Ricans compare economically with other immigrant groups?
7. How did American law operate against Chinese immigrants?
8. What factors account for Chinese success in the United States?
9. In what ways did geography contribute to the perpetuation of slavery?
10. What obstacles to progress were faced by emancipated slaves?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)