|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What segment of the U.S. population has traditionally pushed for open access for Mexican laborers?
(a) Hospital employees.
(b) Welfare workers.
(c) Agricultural employers.
(d) The police.
2. Where was the first Puerto Rican community in New York?
(a) Long Island.
(b) Spanish Harlem.
(d) The Bronx.
3. What was one result of social isolation and fragmentation in Africa?
(a) Cultural interaction.
(b) Community development.
(c) Political and military vulnerability.
(d) Peace and quiet.
4. Heightened, more militant group consciousness typically appears in which generation?
5. What was one significant difference between slavery in the U.S. and slavery throughout history, as identified by Sowell?
(a) Slavery in a free society is a moral problem.
(b) Slaves were farther from home.
(c) Slaves were not educated.
(d) Slaves had no opportunity to become free in the U.S.
Short Answer Questions
1. By 1970, which city had the most Puerto Ricans?
2. What was one tragic result of the U.S. government's restrictions on Chinese immigration?
3. In California, Japanese immigrants initiated what two business models?
4. Chapter VIII states that the cruelest slave masters were of what nationality?
5. What "pulled" Mexicans into the U.S. in the early 20th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Mexican immigration divided the mainstream population?
2. Why did most Chinese immigrants work in laundries and restaurants in the U.S.?
3. How have Chinese immigrants traditionally been received in host countries?
4. In what ways did geography contribute to the perpetuation of slavery?
5. What are the "pushes" and "pulls" that bring Mexican immigrants to the United States?
6. What was unique about the slave population of the United States when compared with slaves in other countries?
7. What obstacles to progress were faced by emancipated slaves?
8. What factors make Puerto Rican immigrants unique?
9. Why was marriage among slaves encouraged by slave owners?
10. Why is it particularly difficult to measure advancement in the immigrant Puerto Rican community?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)