|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jews who had survived persecution store their wealth?
(a) Home furnishings.
(b) Gold and jewelry.
(c) Expensive clothes.
(d) Works of art.
2. How many years did a German indentured servant typically have to work to pay off his transportation to America?
(a) Three to seven.
(b) One to two.
(c) Eight to ten.
(d) Two to five.
3. How did the Pennsylvania Dutch regard politics and government?
(a) With expectations and hope.
(b) With distrust and disinterest.
(c) With confidence and trust.
(d) With great interest.
4. In what area did 19th century Irish consider themselves superior to Germans?
5. What was a "Hessian"?
(a) German soldiers recruited to fight in the Revolutionary War.
(b) German pacifists.
(c) German communitarians.
(d) German government officials.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group was the most isolated of the early German settlers?
2. Where did the majority of Celtic Irish congregate?
3. At the turn of the century, what was the population density of the lower East Side in New York?
4. Where do most people of Irish ancestry live?
5. What important social change did Germans bring to the mainstream culture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advantages did Irish have over other immigrants?
2. How does the average age of an ethnic group affect its socioeconomic status?
3. Why has alcoholism traditionally been lower among Italians than Irish?
4. In what ways have American ethnic communities supplied leadership to their countries of origin?
5. Why is it misleading to think of minority groups as falling below national socioeconomic averages?
6. What was an indentured servant?
7. What factors contributed to Irish immigrant workers' lack of initiative?
8. Who are the Pennsylvania Dutch?
9. How did the geography of Italy contribute to the fragmentation of its people?
10. What geographical advantages does northern Italy have over southern Italy?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)