|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How had most of the Scotch-Irish financed their immigration?
(a) They worked as apprentices.
(b) They became indentured servants.
(c) They were sent with money from home.
(d) They formed credit unions among themselves.
2. Where did most American Jews originate?
(b) Eastern Europe.
3. What was a "Hessian"?
(a) German pacifists.
(b) German communitarians.
(c) German government officials.
(d) German soldiers recruited to fight in the Revolutionary War.
4. What nationality are the Pennsylvania Dutch?
5. What virtue was already ingrained in European Jews when they arrived?
(a) Good humor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the "Know-Nothings"?
2. What does Sowell determine transient immigrants are less likely to do?
3. How many people died of starvation or illness during the Great Famine of the 1840s in Ireland?
4. Which group was the most isolated of the early German settlers?
5. What was the occupation of the majority of Irish immigrants in the 19th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What geographical advantages does northern Italy have over southern Italy?
2. In what ways were slaves better off than the 19th century Irish immigrants?
3. What was a redemptioner?
4. What was an indentured servant?
5. What historical events contributed to the fragmentation of the Italian population?
6. Why is there no "majority" in the United States?
7. What was unusual about German migration patterns in the 20th century?
8. What are some influences German immigrants have had on American culture?
9. Why is it misleading to think of minority groups as falling below national socioeconomic averages?
10. How did the geography of Italy contribute to the fragmentation of its people?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)