|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What diseases plagued the Irish living in tenements?
(a) Typhoid fever and smallpox.
(b) Smallpox and cholera.
(c) Cholera and tuberculosis.
(d) Tuberculosis and typhoid fever.
2. Which ethnic group has the highest fertility rates?
(c) Polish Americans.
(d) Chinese Americans.
3. How many of the emigrants from the potato famine died en route to America in 1847?
(a) Five percent.
(b) Twenty percent.
(c) Ten percent.
(d) Fifty percent.
4. In what area did Italian immigrants find success in California?
(a) Wine growing.
(b) Glass blowing.
(c) Fruit selling.
(d) Garment manufacture.
5. What important social change did Germans bring to the mainstream culture?
(a) Promotion of family entertainment.
(b) Stricter morals and mores.
(c) Beer drinking.
(d) Respect for science.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the system of tenant farming undermine Irish initiative?
2. Who developed the term "kike" to refer to Eastern European Jews in the U.S.?
3. What nationality are the Pennsylvania Dutch?
4. What was a "redemptioner"?
5. What system did Italian immigrants use to finance business ventures?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was an indentured servant?
2. What is culturally and linguistically unique about the size of the United States?
3. What factors contributed to Irish immigrant workers' lack of initiative?
4. What geographical advantages does northern Italy have over southern Italy?
5. In what ways have American ethnic communities supplied leadership to their countries of origin?
6. How were the German immigrants characterized?
7. What are some influences German immigrants have had on American culture?
8. What was distinct about the Jewish community in Eastern Europe?
9. Why did the Jews in various countries not fight back against discrimination?
10. What historical events contributed to the fragmentation of the Italian population?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)