|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The longer the journey by ship took, the _______________ the people became.
(c) More determined.
(d) More excited.
2. What system did Italian immigrants use to finance business ventures?
(a) Credit unions.
(b) Mutual aid societies.
(d) Crime syndicates.
3. What was the average life expectancy of an Irish immigrant in the 19th century?
4. What nationality are the Pennsylvania Dutch?
5. Which group of Italian immigrants were at the bottom of their social scale?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which group was the most isolated of the early German settlers?
2. Which group of Jews in New York were more established and wealthier?
3. What percentage of immigrants from southern Italy returned home?
4. What law helped establish the southern Italian crime syndicates?
5. The most affluent groups have experienced ________________ discrimination.
Short Essay Questions
1. What advantages did Irish have over other immigrants?
2. Why did the Jews in various countries not fight back against discrimination?
3. Why has alcoholism traditionally been lower among Italians than Irish?
4. Why is it misleading to think of minority groups as falling below national socioeconomic averages?
5. What are some influences German immigrants have had on American culture?
6. How did the geography of Italy contribute to the fragmentation of its people?
7. What was unusual about German migration patterns in the 20th century?
8. In what ways have American ethnic communities supplied leadership to their countries of origin?
9. What was distinct about the Jewish community in Eastern Europe?
10. What was an indentured servant?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)