|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In California, Japanese immigrants initiated what two business models?
(a) Market gardens and ornamental horticulture.
(b) Restaurants and dance academies.
(c) Contract gardening and produce markets.
(d) Language schools and bakeries.
2. What type of immigrant group is most likely to retain a foreign language and culture?
(a) Those with back-and-forth migration.
(b) Those whose culture is not represented in the U.S.
(c) Those who are discriminated against.
(d) Those who are mistreated by mainstream governmental agencies.
3. Why are the Hong Kong Chinese vulnerable to employer exploitation?
(a) Many do not understand U.S. customs.
(b) Many are engaged in criminal activity.
(c) Many are in the U.S. illegally.
(d) Many do not have job skills.
4. Blacks are the only ethnic group that came to the U.S. under what condition?
(a) At the government's request.
(b) All at once.
(c) Against their will.
(d) Without official permission.
5. What was the Six Companies?
(a) A Chinese immigration association.
(b) A Chinese gang.
(c) A Chinese crime syndicate.
(d) A Chinese mutual aid association.
6. What did the Japanese government do when immigrants to Hawaii were unhappy with working conditions?
(a) Repatriated them.
(b) Banned them from returning to Japan.
(c) Compensated them for lost wages.
(d) Started a war with Hawaii.
7. What was a Pachuco?
(a) A Mexican elected official?
(b) A Mexican from the state of Pachuca.
(c) A Mexican dance.
(d) A Mexican gang member.
8. What kind of governmental structure did most Puerto Ricans vote to continue?
(a) Status as a territory.
(b) Independent nationhood.
(c) Commonwealth status.
9. Why have the Chinese been called "the Jews of Asia?"
(a) Their success in business has been applauded.
(b) They have been universally welcomed.
(c) Their success in business has been resented.
(d) They have been universally excluded.
10. How did Chinese immigrants finance business startups?
(a) Borrowing from employers.
(b) Rotating credit associations.
(c) Maintaining high credit ratings.
11. What occupations did Chinese immigrants typically take in the mining camps?
(a) Tailors and saloon keepers.
(b) Miners and accountants.
(c) Cooks and launderers.
(d) Merchants and farmers.
12. What mode of travel was first predominantly used in the Puerto Rican migration to the U.S.?
(b) Sailing ships.
13. Under the laws of the Manchu dynasty, what could Chinese men not return to China without?
(a) Their job training.
(b) Their savings.
(c) Their wives.
(d) Their queues.
14. How many slaves came to the Western Hemisphere?
(a) Five million.
(b) One million.
(c) Ten million.
(d) Twenty million.
15. What drug was introduced in the U.S. by Chinese immigrants?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Nat Turner lead?
2. How did the Japanese crime rate compare with that of other immigrant communities?
3. What are Puerto Ricans the only immigrants born possessing?
4. Most Japanese immigrants in the 19th century were young men from what kind of background?
5. Heightened, more militant group consciousness typically appears in which generation?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)