|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What crop were most slaves in the U.S. producing?
2. How many years did a German indentured servant typically have to work to pay off his transportation to America?
(a) Eight to ten.
(b) Two to five.
(c) One to two.
(d) Three to seven.
3. What was the "Pale"?
(a) The area where Russian Jews were not allowed to live.
(b) The area where Russian Jews were imprisoned.
(c) The area where Russian Jews were allowed to live.
(d) The area where Russian Jews went for recreation.
4. What nationality are the Pennsylvania Dutch?
5. In what field did the Irish immigrants to America achieve their first successes?
(d) The arts.
6. What advantage did European Jewish immigrants have in arriving in the United States?
(a) They already spoke English.
(b) They were already urbanized.
(c) They were already accustomed to a rural environment.
(d) They were already skilled farmers.
7. Which group represents the most dramatic example of upward mobility among immigrants?
(a) The Polish.
(c) The Irish.
(d) The illiterate.
8. Which ethnic group has the highest fertility rates?
(a) Polish Americans.
(b) Chinese Americans.
9. Where do most people of Irish ancestry live?
(a) In the British Isles.
(b) In Canada.
(c) In Ireland.
(d) In the United States.
10. What percentage of the population is the largest single ethnic group?
11. What vice did Jewish immigrants almost universally avoid?
(b) Organized crime.
12. With acculturation, IQ rates tend to:
(b) Become insignificant.
(d) Remain constant.
13. What Irish product undermined the welfare of Irish people?
14. How did the Pennsylvania Dutch regard politics and government?
(a) With expectations and hope.
(b) With distrust and disinterest.
(c) With great interest.
(d) With confidence and trust.
15. What early 20th century occupation was 90% done by Italians?
Short Answer Questions
1. What important social change did Germans bring to the mainstream culture?
2. What area in the United States contained the greatest number of Jews ever assembled in one place on earth?
3. During the decades surrounding the beginning of the 20th century, what proportion of Eastern European Jews moved to the United States?
4. What advantages does northern Italy have over southern Italy, where most emigrants lived?
5. What is the most affluent ethnic group in the U.S.?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)