|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were early German immigrants able to do more thoroughly than others?
(a) Clear frontier land and make it productive.
(b) Govern themselves and others.
(c) Develop social networks.
(d) Invent useful machinery.
2. What is the "ghetto crouch?"
(a) A violent response to bullying.
(b) A passive response to bullying.
(c) A proactive response to bullying.
(d) A refusal to respond to bullying.
3. What advantage did European Jewish immigrants have in arriving in the United States?
(a) They already spoke English.
(b) They were already accustomed to a rural environment.
(c) They were already urbanized.
(d) They were already skilled farmers.
4. What was the name for a middleman who bought and sold indentured servants?
(a) Slave driver.
(b) Simon Legree.
(d) Soul driver.
5. Before steamships, to what was sea travel for the immigrants directly tied?
(d) Weather conditions.
6. How much of the arable land in Ireland was used for growing potatoes before the famine?
7. How many of the emigrants from the potato famine died en route to America in 1847?
(a) Fifty percent.
(b) Ten percent.
(c) Twenty percent.
(d) Five percent.
8. What was a "Hessian"?
(a) German pacifists.
(b) German government officials.
(c) German communitarians.
(d) German soldiers recruited to fight in the Revolutionary War.
9. What did German immigrants retain whether in urban or rural settings?
(a) An adventurous, traveling spirit.
(b) A desire to return to the homeland.
(c) The German language and culture.
(d) A mistrust of the Irish.
10. What was a "redemptioner"?
(a) A purchaser of indentures.
(b) An indentured servant.
(c) A slave.
(d) A German immigrant who expected relatives to pay his way.
11. How did northern and southern Italian immigrants regard each other?
(a) As long-lost friends.
(b) As part of the family system.
(c) As distant relatives.
(d) As separate races of people.
12. How did the system of tenant farming undermine Irish initiative?
(a) All improvements belonged to the landowner.
(b) All improvements were heavily taxed.
(c) No improvements were permitted.
(d) All improvements would be reversed.
13. What was the occupation of the majority of Irish immigrants in the 19th century?
(a) Unskilled labor.
(b) Glass blowing.
14. What virtue was already ingrained in European Jews when they arrived?
(d) Good humor.
15. What system did Italian immigrants use to finance business ventures?
(b) Crime syndicates.
(c) Mutual aid societies.
(d) Credit unions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sowell determine transient immigrants are less likely to do?
2. What kind of trouble did employers invite who mixed Italian workers from different villages?
3. How many people died of starvation or illness during the Great Famine of the 1840s in Ireland?
4. Which group of Italian immigrants were at the bottom of their social scale?
5. What nationality are the Pennsylvania Dutch?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)