|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What vice did Jewish immigrants almost universally avoid?
(d) Organized crime.
2. What is the largest single ethnic group in the U.S.?
3. What did the term "ghetto" originally mean?
(a) A prison.
(b) A rich area of the city.
(c) A walled, gated Jewish community.
(d) An impoverished area of the city.
4. How did German Jews regard themselves?
(a) Jewish Americans.
(b) Jews from Germany.
(c) Hebrews from Europe.
(d) Germans of the Hebrew faith.
5. What tools have Jews traditionally used to respond to adversity?
(a) Resourcefulness and perserverance.
(b) Charm and gregariousness.
(c) Force and violence.
(d) Hatred and intimidation.
6. What is the most affluent ethnic group in the U.S.?
7. Which ethnic group has the highest fertility rates?
(b) Polish Americans.
(d) Chinese Americans.
8. Before steamships, to what was sea travel for the immigrants directly tied?
(a) Weather conditions.
9. What was the occupation of the majority of Irish immigrants in the 19th century?
(a) Unskilled labor.
(b) Glass blowing.
10. The longer the journey by ship took, the _______________ the people became.
(a) More determined.
(b) More excited.
11. What was a "Hessian"?
(a) German government officials.
(b) German communitarians.
(c) German soldiers recruited to fight in the Revolutionary War.
(d) German pacifists.
12. How much of the arable land in Ireland was used for growing potatoes before the famine?
13. What Irish product undermined the welfare of Irish people?
14. What system did Italian immigrants use to finance business ventures?
(a) Mutual aid societies.
(b) Crime syndicates.
(c) Credit unions.
15. What did German immigrants retain whether in urban or rural settings?
(a) An adventurous, traveling spirit.
(b) A mistrust of the Irish.
(c) A desire to return to the homeland.
(d) The German language and culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What virtue was already ingrained in European Jews when they arrived?
2. What percentage of immigrants from southern Italy returned home?
3. What early 20th century occupation was 90% done by Italians?
4. How did Europeans treat Jews as they became the only non-Christians on the continent?
5. The most affluent groups have experienced ________________ discrimination.
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)