|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The "penal laws" imposed by the British on the Irish were intended to keep the Irish in what situation?
(a) Upwardly mobile.
(b) Subjugated and impoverished.
(c) Impoverished and frightened.
(d) Educated and healthy.
2. The most affluent groups have experienced ________________ discrimination.
(c) About the same.
3. How many of the emigrants from the potato famine died en route to America in 1847?
(a) Twenty percent.
(b) Five percent.
(c) Ten percent.
(d) Fifty percent.
4. With acculturation, IQ rates tend to:
(b) Become insignificant.
(d) Remain constant.
5. What was the average life expectancy of an Irish immigrant in the 19th century?
6. What is the most affluent ethnic group in the U.S.?
7. What tools have Jews traditionally used to respond to adversity?
(a) Charm and gregariousness.
(b) Hatred and intimidation.
(c) Force and violence.
(d) Resourcefulness and perserverance.
8. Who developed the term "kike" to refer to Eastern European Jews in the U.S.?
(b) The Irish.
(c) The British.
(d) German Jews.
9. What crop were most slaves in the U.S. producing?
10. Which group formed the largest migration to America in the 19th century?
11. What was the occupation of the German immigrants who landed in St. Louis and Milwaukee?
(c) Brewing beer.
12. How did German Jews regard themselves?
(a) Germans of the Hebrew faith.
(b) Jewish Americans.
(c) Hebrews from Europe.
(d) Jews from Germany.
13. In their own land, the Irish were a _________________ people.
14. Which group represents the most dramatic example of upward mobility among immigrants?
(a) The Polish.
(c) The illiterate.
(d) The Irish.
15. What system did Italian immigrants use to finance business ventures?
(a) Crime syndicates.
(c) Mutual aid societies.
(d) Credit unions.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the decades surrounding the beginning of the 20th century, what proportion of Eastern European Jews moved to the United States?
2. How long was the voyage to America in a sailing vessel?
3. What important social change did Germans bring to the mainstream culture?
4. With which immigrant group did the Italians have the most conflict?
5. What advantages did early Irish immigrants have over others?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)