|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language did German Jews speak?
2. Which group formed the largest migration to America in the 19th century?
3. What was a "redemptioner"?
(a) A purchaser of indentures.
(b) A German immigrant who expected relatives to pay his way.
(c) A slave.
(d) An indentured servant.
4. What is the largest single ethnic group in the U.S.?
5. Why was American farming foreign to the Irish immigrants?
(a) It required long work days.
(b) It required larger tracts of land.
(c) It required different crops.
(d) It required isolation.
6. Before steamships, to what was sea travel for the immigrants directly tied?
(a) Weather conditions.
7. In what field did the Irish immigrants to America achieve their first successes?
(d) The arts.
8. How did the Pennsylvania Dutch regard politics and government?
(a) With confidence and trust.
(b) With great interest.
(c) With distrust and disinterest.
(d) With expectations and hope.
9. What early 20th century occupation was 90% done by Italians?
10. Which ethnic group got along best with the Indians?
(c) Celtic Irish.
11. Which ethnic group has the highest fertility rates?
(a) Chinese Americans.
(b) Polish Americans.
12. What percentage of immigrants from southern Italy returned home?
13. What is the most affluent ethnic group in the U.S.?
14. What was the occupation of the majority of Irish immigrants in the 19th century?
(b) Glass blowing.
(c) Unskilled labor.
15. How many of the emigrants from the potato famine died en route to America in 1847?
(a) Twenty percent.
(b) Five percent.
(c) Fifty percent.
(d) Ten percent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused repeated conflicts between the Scotch-Irish and the Celtic Irish immigrants who arrived later?
2. How did the system of tenant farming undermine Irish initiative?
3. What vice did Jewish immigrants almost universally avoid?
4. What advantages does northern Italy have over southern Italy, where most emigrants lived?
5. How did northern and southern Italian immigrants regard each other?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)