|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VIII, The Blacks.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which religion forbade the owning of slaves and produced many abolitionists?
2. Why have the Chinese been called "the Jews of Asia?"
(a) They have been universally excluded.
(b) Their success in business has been applauded.
(c) Their success in business has been resented.
(d) They have been universally welcomed.
3. As those with different views left the South, what changed in the southern population?
(a) It became more liberal.
(b) It became more conformist and intolerant.
(c) It became better educated and more worldly.
(d) It became aware of its inconsistencies.
4. In California, Japanese immigrants initiated what two business models?
(a) Language schools and bakeries.
(b) Restaurants and dance academies.
(c) Market gardens and ornamental horticulture.
(d) Contract gardening and produce markets.
5. How did Italian immigrants to the U.S. regard education?
(a) With gratitude.
(b) With hope.
(c) With hostility.
(d) With confusion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What diseases plagued the Irish living in tenements?
2. Who developed the term "kike" to refer to Eastern European Jews in the U.S.?
3. How had most of the Scotch-Irish financed their immigration?
4. During the decades surrounding the beginning of the 20th century, what proportion of Eastern European Jews moved to the United States?
5. How did many of the Japanese regard the United States during the 19th century?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)