Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What examples does Fromm cite in the chapter "Freedom and Democracy" of how a democratic society limits individuals?
2. Who wrote the book "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism"?
3. What does the development of individual and social characters lead to?
4. When he first came to power, which social class did Hitler favor?
5. How did Fromm separate the two groups of German people who supported the Nazis?
Analyze Fromm's argument that the Nazi party came to power due to sadomasochistic tendencies. In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain why Hitler was a sadomasochistic leader.
2). Define the roles of submission and dominance in the power of Nazism.
3). Explain what group of people submitted fully to Hitler, and why.
Explain Fromm's definition of freedom. In your answer, be sure to address the following:
1). What does man gain in his attempt from individual freedom?
2). What consequences exists for man and society when attaining freedom?
3) What cultural and social roadblocks does man face in this process?
Examine Fromm's ideas on democracy as a political ideology from the last chapter of his book. In your response, address the following points:
1). What aspects of a democratic society does Fromm support?
2). What aspects of a democratic society does Fromm not support?
3). How does a democratic society both support and harm an individual's freedom?
4). How is a democratic society similar and different to an authoritarian society?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)