|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hitler's sadistic nature lead him to desire?
2. What does Fromm cite as the psychological reason for Hitler and his followers' desire for sadomasochism?
3. What are the consequences for democratic societies when conformity exists?
4. What kind of acts are "phenomena of abundance"?
5. How did Hitler feel about Germany?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the consequences for the individual and society when pressure to conform exists?
2. According to Fromm, why are "normal" people willing to conform to the ideas of an authoritarian character?
3. What two choices does a person have when confronted by isolation and fear in achieving freedom?
4. How is an individual's character structure affected by economic and political changes?
5. What characteristics describe the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
6. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
7. How does Fromm describe sadistic people?
8. What two false theories does Fromm discount that accounted for the rise of Nazism?
9. What traits of an authoritarian character did Hitler possess?
10. What role does character play in the individual and society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Fromm's ideas on democracy as a political ideology from the last chapter of his book. In your response, address the following points:
1). What aspects of a democratic society does Fromm support?
2). What aspects of a democratic society does Fromm not support?
3). How does a democratic society both support and harm an individual's freedom?
4). How is a democratic society similar and different to an authoritarian society?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Erich Fromm title his book "Escape from Freedom"? What evidence supports this title? Identify another possible title for this book. Using evidence from throughout Fromm's book, explain why this would be an appropriate title. Which title do you prefer, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the freedoms individuals possessed under the Catholic Church and those under Protestantism. In your response, be sure to answer the following questions:
1). Which religion provided greater freedom for the individual, and how did it provide that freedom?
2). How were other organized structures like politics and economics affected by each religion?
3). How did each religion appeal to the different social classes?
4). How did social class affect one's freedom?
This section contains 1,435 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)