|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fromm argue that leads to man act destructively?
2. Prior to World War I, who was the lower, middle class obedient to?
3. What assumptions about man are made that lead people to fear chaos if he acts only in accordance with himself?
4. What does the social character influence?
5. What political ideology is a historical example of authoritarian mechanism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
2. What was life like for the lower, middle class following World War I? How did these conditions impact impacted their submission to Nazism?
3. What is the relationship between sadism and masochism? How does the relationship affect authoritarian characters?
4. What are the similarities and differences between sadism and destructiveness?
5. What is the social function of education?
6. What qualities did Hitler and Nazism possess that appealed to a large population of Germans?
7. What role does character play in the individual and society?
8. How is an individual's character structure affected by economic and political changes?
9. What is spontaneous action and original thought?
10. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the political, social and economic impact capitalism had on individual freedom. In your answer, address the following historical events:
1). The Protestant Reformation-How did this religious movement bring about economic change and increased social class freedom?
2). The Renaissance-How was this movement characterized by capitalism? What impact did it have on society and the individual?
3). Post World War I Germany-how did the economic situation of inflation and depression change the political an social climate in pre-Nazi Germany?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Fromm use Nazism to discuss authoritarianism and automaton conformity? How does the ideology of Nazism connect with Fromm's ideas on individuality and freedom? What other authoritarian political ideology possesses similar authoritarian and conformity tendencies?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Fromm and Freud's points of view on human development. In your essay, answer the following questions:
1). How are Freud and Fromm similar in their beliefs of human development?
2). What beliefs are different between these two thinkers?
3). Describe Fromm's analysis of other academics beliefs, including the Marxist historians and "idealists" like Weber.
This section contains 1,414 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)