|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter "Freedom and Democracy," how does a person develop individuality?
2. What kind of acts are "phenomena of abundance"?
3. What examples does Fromm cite in the chapter "Freedom and Democracy" of how a democratic society limits individuals?
4. What is NOT a characteristic of the old, middle class that Fromm identifies?
5. When he first came to power, which social class did Hitler favor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is spontaneous action and original thought?
2. How is an individual's character structure affected by economic and political changes?
3. What two false theories does Fromm discount that accounted for the rise of Nazism?
4. What is automaton conformity?
5. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
6. What traits of an authoritarian character did Hitler possess?
7. What two choices does a person have when confronted by isolation and fear in achieving freedom?
8. What is social character?
9. How does a democratic society put pressure on individuals to conform?
10. What is the social function of education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of this Benjamin Franklin quote to Fromm's analysis of freedom: "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain the relevance of this quote with regards to Fromm's book.
2). Cite text examples from Fromm's book where people have given up their liberty for safety and vice versa.
3). Give several personal examples of how high school students give up some of their liberties for security.
4). Based on the evidence in Fromm's book, would he agree with Franklin? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how an individual's freedom has changed over time. Begin with Fromm's discussion of freedom during the Middle Ages and continue with the changes freedom saw during the Renaissance. Analyze the level of freedom man has during times of conformity, like during Hitler's Nazi regime, and how freedoms are restored in a democratic society.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that compares Nazism to another authoritarian regime (Italian Fascism, North Vietnam, Chinese communism). In your essay, be sure to address the following points:
1). Similarities and differences in authoritarian leadership style.
2). Identify the political affiliations of both regimes.
3). Describe the historical events surrounding authoritarianism.
4). Explain how each regime suppresses the freedom of its citizens.
This section contains 1,380 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)