|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he first came to power, which social class did Hitler favor?
2. What German class of people was most likely to submit to Nazism?
3. Why does an individual conform to society?
4. What academic, who Fromm disagrees with, also wrote about the social interpretation of the human development?
5. What is "original" thought?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the similarities and differences between sadism and destructiveness?
2. How does a democratic society put pressure on individuals to conform?
3. What two false theories does Fromm discount that accounted for the rise of Nazism?
4. What is spontaneous action and original thought?
5. What is the relationship between sadism and masochism? How does the relationship affect authoritarian characters?
6. What were the economic, social, and political conditions like in Germany prior to Hitler's rise to power?
7. What role does the family have in developing the character structure of an individual?
8. What was life like for the lower, middle class following World War I? How did these conditions impact impacted their submission to Nazism?
9. How is an individual's character structure affected by economic and political changes?
10. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Fromm's argument that the Nazi party came to power due to sadomasochistic tendencies. In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain why Hitler was a sadomasochistic leader.
2). Define the roles of submission and dominance in the power of Nazism.
3). Explain what group of people submitted fully to Hitler, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in great detail Fromm's three "Mechanisms of Escape." Your essay should be divided into three sections:
1). Describe authoritarianism, the authoritarian character, why people submit to authoritarian leaders, and examples from history.
2). Explain Fromm's definition of destructiveness, what causes it, consequences for it, and historical examples.
3). Evaluate the effects of automaton conformity on society and the individual man.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Erich Fromm title his book "Escape from Freedom"? What evidence supports this title? Identify another possible title for this book. Using evidence from throughout Fromm's book, explain why this would be an appropriate title. Which title do you prefer, and why?
This section contains 1,388 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)