|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What practice does Fromm cite evidence that an individual's thoughts could be suggested by someone else?
2. In the chapter "Freedom and Democracy," how does a person develop individuality?
3. What happened to Germany's economic stability following World War I?
4. What is society's character based on?
5. What world event left Germany in financial ruin and ultimately fostered support for Hitler among the lower, middle class Germans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is social character?
2. What is the social function of education?
3. What is automaton conformity?
4. What is spontaneous action and original thought?
5. How does Fromm describe masochistic people?
6. What two choices does a person have when confronted by isolation and fear in achieving freedom?
7. What is the relationship between sadism and masochism? How does the relationship affect authoritarian characters?
8. What are the consequences for the individual and society when pressure to conform exists?
9. What traits of an authoritarian character did Hitler possess?
10. What characteristics describe the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Fromm and Freud's points of view on human development. In your essay, answer the following questions:
1). How are Freud and Fromm similar in their beliefs of human development?
2). What beliefs are different between these two thinkers?
3). Describe Fromm's analysis of other academics beliefs, including the Marxist historians and "idealists" like Weber.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the social, economic, and individual lessons learned from Nazism. In your response, include the following information:
1). How did Nazism affect the entire social structure of Germany?
2). Examine how Hitler used social class to spread his sadomasochistic message of dominance.
3). What economic factors affected Nazism?
4). How did the individual lose himself and his freedom when the Nazi party came to power?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how an individual's freedom has changed over time. Begin with Fromm's discussion of freedom during the Middle Ages and continue with the changes freedom saw during the Renaissance. Analyze the level of freedom man has during times of conformity, like during Hitler's Nazi regime, and how freedoms are restored in a democratic society.
This section contains 1,419 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)