|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fromm categorize the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
2. What did Freud believe to be the driving force behind human action?
3. What is "original" thought?
4. Why does Fromm suggest analyzing psychological mechanisms in individuals?
5. When he first came to power, which social class did Hitler favor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was life like for the lower, middle class following World War I? How did these conditions impact impacted their submission to Nazism?
2. What two choices does a person have when confronted by isolation and fear in achieving freedom?
3. What are the consequences for the individual and society when pressure to conform exists?
4. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
5. What characteristics describe the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
6. What is automaton conformity?
7. How does the loss of identify affect an individual's willingness to conform, and what are the consequences for it?
8. How does a democratic society put pressure on individuals to conform?
9. What were the economic, social, and political conditions like in Germany prior to Hitler's rise to power?
10. How does formal education limit a child's freedom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Fromm's argument that the Nazi party came to power due to sadomasochistic tendencies. In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain why Hitler was a sadomasochistic leader.
2). Define the roles of submission and dominance in the power of Nazism.
3). Explain what group of people submitted fully to Hitler, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Fromm and Freud's points of view on human development. In your essay, answer the following questions:
1). How are Freud and Fromm similar in their beliefs of human development?
2). What beliefs are different between these two thinkers?
3). Describe Fromm's analysis of other academics beliefs, including the Marxist historians and "idealists" like Weber.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Fromm's ideas on democracy as a political ideology from the last chapter of his book. In your response, address the following points:
1). What aspects of a democratic society does Fromm support?
2). What aspects of a democratic society does Fromm not support?
3). How does a democratic society both support and harm an individual's freedom?
4). How is a democratic society similar and different to an authoritarian society?
This section contains 1,502 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)