|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term Fromm uses to describe an individual act that does not compromise one's integrity?
2. Who does the individual submit to when conforming?
3. What examples does Fromm cite in the chapter "Freedom and Democracy" of how a democratic society limits individuals?
4. Who wrote the book "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism"?
5. According to Freud's "psychologistic" approach to understanding human culture, what image inspired early Christianity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
2. What is the relationship between sadism and masochism? How does the relationship affect authoritarian characters?
3. What is authority, as defined in the chapter "Mechanisms of Escape"?
4. What traits of an authoritarian character did Hitler possess?
5. According to Fromm, why are "normal" people willing to conform to the ideas of an authoritarian character?
6. How does a democratic society put pressure on individuals to conform?
7. What two choices does a person have when confronted by isolation and fear in achieving freedom?
8. What qualities did Hitler and Nazism possess that appealed to a large population of Germans?
9. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
10. How does Fromm describe masochistic people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how an individual's freedom has changed over time. Begin with Fromm's discussion of freedom during the Middle Ages and continue with the changes freedom saw during the Renaissance. Analyze the level of freedom man has during times of conformity, like during Hitler's Nazi regime, and how freedoms are restored in a democratic society.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship Hitler had with the lower, middle class of Germany. In your essay, be sure to answer the following questions:
1). How was this relationship mutually beneficial to both Hitler and the lower, middle class citizens?
2). How was Hitler able to secure the support from this social class?
3). Did the lower, middle class remain loyal to Hitler and vice versa?
4). What role did the economic troubles of the lower, middle class play in their relationship with Hitler?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Fromm and Freud's points of view on human development. In your essay, answer the following questions:
1). How are Freud and Fromm similar in their beliefs of human development?
2). What beliefs are different between these two thinkers?
3). Describe Fromm's analysis of other academics beliefs, including the Marxist historians and "idealists" like Weber.
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)