|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What psychological idea is destructiveness related to?
2. What does Fromm say even a democratic society can pressure individuals to do?
3. What examples does Fromm cite in the chapter "Freedom and Democracy" of how a democratic society limits individuals?
4. What does the social character influence?
5. What is the original self?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the economic, social, and political conditions like in Germany prior to Hitler's rise to power?
2. What qualities did Hitler and Nazism possess that appealed to a large population of Germans?
3. How is an individual's character structure affected by economic and political changes?
4. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
5. What role does character play in the individual and society?
6. What characteristics describe the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
7. How does Fromm describe masochistic people?
8. What was life like for the lower, middle class following World War I? How did these conditions impact impacted their submission to Nazism?
9. What is the social function of education?
10. How does Fromm describe sadistic people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Fromm's argument that the Nazi party came to power due to sadomasochistic tendencies. In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain why Hitler was a sadomasochistic leader.
2). Define the roles of submission and dominance in the power of Nazism.
3). Explain what group of people submitted fully to Hitler, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the freedoms individuals possessed under the Catholic Church and those under Protestantism. In your response, be sure to answer the following questions:
1). Which religion provided greater freedom for the individual, and how did it provide that freedom?
2). How were other organized structures like politics and economics affected by each religion?
3). How did each religion appeal to the different social classes?
4). How did social class affect one's freedom?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Fromm and Freud's points of view on human development. In your essay, answer the following questions:
1). How are Freud and Fromm similar in their beliefs of human development?
2). What beliefs are different between these two thinkers?
3). Describe Fromm's analysis of other academics beliefs, including the Marxist historians and "idealists" like Weber.
This section contains 1,362 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)