|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What social structure does Fromm suggest should be part of the psychological aspect of society?
2. What psychological idea is destructiveness related to?
3. What political ideology is a historical example of authoritarian mechanism?
4. How does Fromm categorize the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
5. What was the ultimate goal of the Nazi party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
2. How does Fromm describe sadistic people?
3. What role does character play in the individual and society?
4. What is spontaneous action and original thought?
5. What role does the family have in developing the character structure of an individual?
6. What two false theories does Fromm discount that accounted for the rise of Nazism?
7. What are the similarities and differences between sadism and destructiveness?
8. How does formal education limit a child's freedom?
9. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
10. How does a democratic society put pressure on individuals to conform?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between democracy and freedom. In your response, be sure to addresses the following questions:
1). How are freedom and democracy symbiotic?
2). How are freedom and democracy at odds with each other?
3). Find an example from modern world history where a country has a democratic system of government, but does not provide individual freedom to its citizens. Explain why this is significant to Fromm's ideas about freedom and democracy.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Fromm's ideas on democracy as a political ideology from the last chapter of his book. In your response, address the following points:
1). What aspects of a democratic society does Fromm support?
2). What aspects of a democratic society does Fromm not support?
3). How does a democratic society both support and harm an individual's freedom?
4). How is a democratic society similar and different to an authoritarian society?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of this Benjamin Franklin quote to Fromm's analysis of freedom: "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain the relevance of this quote with regards to Fromm's book.
2). Cite text examples from Fromm's book where people have given up their liberty for safety and vice versa.
3). Give several personal examples of how high school students give up some of their liberties for security.
4). Based on the evidence in Fromm's book, would he agree with Franklin? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)