|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What German social class both submitted to Hitler and fully adopted his Nazi ideology?
2. What weaknesses do sadists and masochists compensate for?
3. Why did the Nazi regime appear to be stable?
4. In the chapter "Freedom and Democracy," how does a person develop individuality?
5. What dual desires did Nazi ideology appeal to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
2. What qualities did Hitler and Nazism possess that appealed to a large population of Germans?
3. How does Fromm describe sadistic people?
4. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
5. What role does the family have in developing the character structure of an individual?
6. What is the social function of education?
7. What is spontaneous action and original thought?
8. What two false theories does Fromm discount that accounted for the rise of Nazism?
9. What are the similarities and differences between sadism and destructiveness?
10. How is an individual's character structure affected by economic and political changes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Fromm use Nazism to discuss authoritarianism and automaton conformity? How does the ideology of Nazism connect with Fromm's ideas on individuality and freedom? What other authoritarian political ideology possesses similar authoritarian and conformity tendencies?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the social, economic, and individual lessons learned from Nazism. In your response, include the following information:
1). How did Nazism affect the entire social structure of Germany?
2). Examine how Hitler used social class to spread his sadomasochistic message of dominance.
3). What economic factors affected Nazism?
4). How did the individual lose himself and his freedom when the Nazi party came to power?
Essay Topic 3
How do religious, political, and social structures support and limit man's individuality and freedom? In your response, include the following information:
1). Religion during the Middle Ages to the Modern Age. Include text evidence about the Catholic Church, the Protestant Reformation and the beliefs of its leaders.
2). Fromm's thoughts about Fascism, Nazism, and democracy. Text examples should also include information about how these political ideologies influence an individual's freedom.
3). Theories about society and conformity.
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)