|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political and economic beliefs does Fromm wish to reconnect man with?
2. What German class of people was most likely to submit to Nazism?
3. What practice does Fromm cite evidence that an individual's thoughts could be suggested by someone else?
4. What do masochistic people seek?
5. Why is it possible for people to conform without their knowledge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What qualities did Hitler and Nazism possess that appealed to a large population of Germans?
2. What role does the family have in developing the character structure of an individual?
3. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
4. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
5. What is the relationship between sadism and masochism? How does the relationship affect authoritarian characters?
6. What is authority, as defined in the chapter "Mechanisms of Escape"?
7. What is spontaneous action and original thought?
8. How does Fromm describe masochistic people?
9. How does Fromm describe sadistic people?
10. What were the economic, social, and political conditions like in Germany prior to Hitler's rise to power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship Hitler had with the lower, middle class of Germany. In your essay, be sure to answer the following questions:
1). How was this relationship mutually beneficial to both Hitler and the lower, middle class citizens?
2). How was Hitler able to secure the support from this social class?
3). Did the lower, middle class remain loyal to Hitler and vice versa?
4). What role did the economic troubles of the lower, middle class play in their relationship with Hitler?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the middle class in Fromm's book. Why was the middle class so significant in the Protestant Reformation? How was this role different than in the Catholic Church? How did the middle class emerge under capitalism? What consequences did this bring for society? How did Hitler manipulate the middle class? Would Hitler and Nazism have had a different effect without the support of the middle class? What other examples in history used the weight of the middle class?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the freedoms individuals possessed under the Catholic Church and those under Protestantism. In your response, be sure to answer the following questions:
1). Which religion provided greater freedom for the individual, and how did it provide that freedom?
2). How were other organized structures like politics and economics affected by each religion?
3). How did each religion appeal to the different social classes?
4). How did social class affect one's freedom?
This section contains 1,380 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)