|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fromm believe to be the main driving force in history?
2. What is Fromm's theory about Hitler and the success of the Nazi party?
3. What did Freud believe to be the driving force behind human action?
4. When he first came to power, which social class did Hitler favor?
5. Why does Fromm suggest analyzing psychological mechanisms in individuals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What traits of an authoritarian character did Hitler possess?
2. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
3. What is social character?
4. What was life like for the lower, middle class following World War I? How did these conditions impact impacted their submission to Nazism?
5. What characteristics describe the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
6. What role does the family have in developing the character structure of an individual?
7. What is spontaneous action and original thought?
8. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
9. How does Fromm describe sadistic people?
10. What two choices does a person have when confronted by isolation and fear in achieving freedom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the freedoms individuals possessed under the Catholic Church and those under Protestantism. In your response, be sure to answer the following questions:
1). Which religion provided greater freedom for the individual, and how did it provide that freedom?
2). How were other organized structures like politics and economics affected by each religion?
3). How did each religion appeal to the different social classes?
4). How did social class affect one's freedom?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Fromm use Nazism to discuss authoritarianism and automaton conformity? How does the ideology of Nazism connect with Fromm's ideas on individuality and freedom? What other authoritarian political ideology possesses similar authoritarian and conformity tendencies?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how an individual's freedom has changed over time. Begin with Fromm's discussion of freedom during the Middle Ages and continue with the changes freedom saw during the Renaissance. Analyze the level of freedom man has during times of conformity, like during Hitler's Nazi regime, and how freedoms are restored in a democratic society.
This section contains 1,394 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)