|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has a key role in human development?
2. Prior to World War I, who was the lower, middle class obedient to?
3. Who does the individual submit to when conforming?
4. According to Freud's "psychologistic" approach to understanding human culture, what image inspired early Christianity?
5. Why is it possible for people to conform without their knowledge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What traits of an authoritarian character did Hitler possess?
2. What is spontaneous action and original thought?
3. How is an individual's character structure affected by economic and political changes?
4. How does the loss of identify affect an individual's willingness to conform, and what are the consequences for it?
5. According to Fromm, why are "normal" people willing to conform to the ideas of an authoritarian character?
6. What characteristics describe the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
7. What two choices does a person have when confronted by isolation and fear in achieving freedom?
8. What are the consequences for the individual and society when pressure to conform exists?
9. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
10. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate Fromm's thoughts on the causes of isolation and fear. In your essay, be sure to explain the following:
1). What economic, political, and social systems create alienation and fear?
2). How does man cope with these feelings?
3). What are some of the positive and negative consequences for society when man feels frightened and alone?
4). What are some of the positive and negative consequences for man when he feels isolated and scared?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship Hitler had with the lower, middle class of Germany. In your essay, be sure to answer the following questions:
1). How was this relationship mutually beneficial to both Hitler and the lower, middle class citizens?
2). How was Hitler able to secure the support from this social class?
3). Did the lower, middle class remain loyal to Hitler and vice versa?
4). What role did the economic troubles of the lower, middle class play in their relationship with Hitler?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the freedoms individuals possessed under the Catholic Church and those under Protestantism. In your response, be sure to answer the following questions:
1). Which religion provided greater freedom for the individual, and how did it provide that freedom?
2). How were other organized structures like politics and economics affected by each religion?
3). How did each religion appeal to the different social classes?
4). How did social class affect one's freedom?
This section contains 1,465 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)