|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dual desires did Nazi ideology appeal to?
2. What is Fromm's theory about Hitler and the success of the Nazi party?
3. Why did the Nazi regime appear to be stable?
4. What does Fromm cite as the psychological reason for Hitler and his followers' desire for sadomasochism?
5. What practice does Fromm cite evidence that an individual's thoughts could be suggested by someone else?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between sadism and masochism? How does the relationship affect authoritarian characters?
2. How does the loss of identify affect an individual's willingness to conform, and what are the consequences for it?
3. What was life like for the lower, middle class following World War I? How did these conditions impact impacted their submission to Nazism?
4. What role does the family have in developing the character structure of an individual?
5. What were the economic, social, and political conditions like in Germany prior to Hitler's rise to power?
6. What is automaton conformity?
7. What is social character?
8. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
9. What two false theories does Fromm discount that accounted for the rise of Nazism?
10. What are the consequences for the individual and society when pressure to conform exists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that compares Nazism to another authoritarian regime (Italian Fascism, North Vietnam, Chinese communism). In your essay, be sure to address the following points:
1). Similarities and differences in authoritarian leadership style.
2). Identify the political affiliations of both regimes.
3). Describe the historical events surrounding authoritarianism.
4). Explain how each regime suppresses the freedom of its citizens.
Essay Topic 2
Define the political, social and economic impact capitalism had on individual freedom. In your answer, address the following historical events:
1). The Protestant Reformation-How did this religious movement bring about economic change and increased social class freedom?
2). The Renaissance-How was this movement characterized by capitalism? What impact did it have on society and the individual?
3). Post World War I Germany-how did the economic situation of inflation and depression change the political an social climate in pre-Nazi Germany?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Fromm's ideas on democracy as a political ideology from the last chapter of his book. In your response, address the following points:
1). What aspects of a democratic society does Fromm support?
2). What aspects of a democratic society does Fromm not support?
3). How does a democratic society both support and harm an individual's freedom?
4). How is a democratic society similar and different to an authoritarian society?
This section contains 1,451 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)