|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "spontaneous" action?
2. What psychological approach does Fromm use to study history?
3. Why did the first group of Germans who supported Hitler submit to the power of the Nazis?
4. How did Hitler feel about Germany?
5. What did Freud believe to be the driving force behind human action?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a democratic society put pressure on individuals to conform?
2. What is spontaneous action and original thought?
3. How does social character affect different groups?
4. What are the similarities and differences between sadism and destructiveness?
5. What is authority, as defined in the chapter "Mechanisms of Escape"?
6. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
7. How is an individual's character structure affected by economic and political changes?
8. How does Fromm describe masochistic people?
9. What two false theories does Fromm discount that accounted for the rise of Nazism?
10. What are the consequences for the individual and society when pressure to conform exists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the freedoms individuals possessed under the Catholic Church and those under Protestantism. In your response, be sure to answer the following questions:
1). Which religion provided greater freedom for the individual, and how did it provide that freedom?
2). How were other organized structures like politics and economics affected by each religion?
3). How did each religion appeal to the different social classes?
4). How did social class affect one's freedom?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of this Benjamin Franklin quote to Fromm's analysis of freedom: "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain the relevance of this quote with regards to Fromm's book.
2). Cite text examples from Fromm's book where people have given up their liberty for safety and vice versa.
3). Give several personal examples of how high school students give up some of their liberties for security.
4). Based on the evidence in Fromm's book, would he agree with Franklin? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How do religious, political, and social structures support and limit man's individuality and freedom? In your response, include the following information:
1). Religion during the Middle Ages to the Modern Age. Include text evidence about the Catholic Church, the Protestant Reformation and the beliefs of its leaders.
2). Fromm's thoughts about Fascism, Nazism, and democracy. Text examples should also include information about how these political ideologies influence an individual's freedom.
3). Theories about society and conformity.
This section contains 1,388 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)