|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What world event left Germany in financial ruin and ultimately fostered support for Hitler among the lower, middle class Germans?
2. According to Freud's "psychologistic" approach to understanding human culture, what image inspired early Christianity?
3. What political ideology is reinforced by an authoritarian character?
4. Why is it possible for people to conform without their knowledge?
5. What is society's character based on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fromm describe masochistic people?
2. What two choices does a person have when confronted by isolation and fear in achieving freedom?
3. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
4. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
5. What are the similarities and differences between sadism and destructiveness?
6. What were the economic, social, and political conditions like in Germany prior to Hitler's rise to power?
7. What is social character?
8. How does Fromm describe sadistic people?
9. What two false theories does Fromm discount that accounted for the rise of Nazism?
10. What is the social function of education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Fromm's definition of freedom. In your answer, be sure to address the following:
1). What does man gain in his attempt from individual freedom?
2). What consequences exists for man and society when attaining freedom?
3) What cultural and social roadblocks does man face in this process?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Fromm use Nazism to discuss authoritarianism and automaton conformity? How does the ideology of Nazism connect with Fromm's ideas on individuality and freedom? What other authoritarian political ideology possesses similar authoritarian and conformity tendencies?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Erich Fromm title his book "Escape from Freedom"? What evidence supports this title? Identify another possible title for this book. Using evidence from throughout Fromm's book, explain why this would be an appropriate title. Which title do you prefer, and why?
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)