|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the consequences for democratic societies when conformity exists?
2. According to Fromm, who must the economy be a servant to?
3. How did Hitler feel about Germany?
4. In the chapter "Freedom and Democracy," how does a person develop individuality?
5. What is an authoritarian character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the social function of education?
2. How does formal education limit a child's freedom?
3. What are the consequences for the individual and society when pressure to conform exists?
4. What is social character?
5. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
6. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
7. What two false theories does Fromm discount that accounted for the rise of Nazism?
8. How does Fromm describe sadistic people?
9. What is automaton conformity?
10. How is an individual's character structure affected by economic and political changes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate Fromm's thoughts on the causes of isolation and fear. In your essay, be sure to explain the following:
1). What economic, political, and social systems create alienation and fear?
2). How does man cope with these feelings?
3). What are some of the positive and negative consequences for society when man feels frightened and alone?
4). What are some of the positive and negative consequences for man when he feels isolated and scared?
Essay Topic 2
Describe a fictitious society where man has complete and total freedom. Your essay should answer the following questions:
1). What is the political structure of this society?
2). Is there one central authority figure? If so, describe this individual. If not, explain why this individual does not exist.
3). What structures/ideologies/rules are in place that guarantee man his freedom?
4). Is everyone happy with the amount of freedom given to them?
5). Based on Fromm's definition of freedom, what would he say about this society? Would he agree that the individuals in this society have complete and total freedom?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Hitler's authoritarian style of leadership to that of a democratic leader like President Obama. In your response, address the following points:
1). How are these leadership styles different?
2). What would Fromm state as to the reason for these differences?
3). Are there any similarities between Hitler's leadership style and Hitler's? If so, what are those similarities and if not, why aren't there any similarities?
4). Use Fromm's thoughts on freedom and democracy as well as the psychology of Nazism to support your evidence and inferences.
This section contains 1,434 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)