|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Freud believe to be the driving force behind human action?
2. Why is it possible for people to conform without their knowledge?
3. Who wrote the book "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism"?
4. Prior to World War I, who was the lower, middle class obedient to?
5. In the chapter "Freedom and Democracy," how does a person develop individuality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the economic, social, and political conditions like in Germany prior to Hitler's rise to power?
2. What is spontaneous action and original thought?
3. What is authority, as defined in the chapter "Mechanisms of Escape"?
4. What is the social function of education?
5. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
6. What two false theories does Fromm discount that accounted for the rise of Nazism?
7. What was life like for the lower, middle class following World War I? How did these conditions impact impacted their submission to Nazism?
8. What is automaton conformity?
9. What role does the family have in developing the character structure of an individual?
10. How does Fromm describe sadistic people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in great detail Fromm's three "Mechanisms of Escape." Your essay should be divided into three sections:
1). Describe authoritarianism, the authoritarian character, why people submit to authoritarian leaders, and examples from history.
2). Explain Fromm's definition of destructiveness, what causes it, consequences for it, and historical examples.
3). Evaluate the effects of automaton conformity on society and the individual man.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Fromm's argument that the Nazi party came to power due to sadomasochistic tendencies. In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain why Hitler was a sadomasochistic leader.
2). Define the roles of submission and dominance in the power of Nazism.
3). Explain what group of people submitted fully to Hitler, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Define the political, social and economic impact capitalism had on individual freedom. In your answer, address the following historical events:
1). The Protestant Reformation-How did this religious movement bring about economic change and increased social class freedom?
2). The Renaissance-How was this movement characterized by capitalism? What impact did it have on society and the individual?
3). Post World War I Germany-how did the economic situation of inflation and depression change the political an social climate in pre-Nazi Germany?
This section contains 1,444 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)