Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What examples does Fromm cite in the chapter "Freedom and Democracy" of how a democratic society limits individuals?
2. Who wrote the book "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism"?
3. What does the development of individual and social characters lead to?
4. When he first came to power, which social class did Hitler favor?
5. How did Fromm separate the two groups of German people who supported the Nazis?
Essay Topic 1
Examine Fromm's ideas on democracy as a political ideology from the last chapter of his book. In your response, address the following points:
1). What aspects of a democratic society does Fromm support?
2). What aspects of a democratic society does Fromm not support?
3). How does a democratic society both support and harm an individual's freedom?
4). How is a democratic society similar and different to an authoritarian society?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the middle class in Fromm's book. Why was the middle class so significant in the Protestant Reformation? How was this role different than in the Catholic Church? How did the middle class emerge under capitalism? What consequences did this bring for society? How did Hitler manipulate the middle class? Would Hitler and Nazism have had a different effect without the support of the middle class? What other examples in history used the weight of the middle class?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Fromm's definition of freedom. In your answer, be sure to address the following:
1). What does man gain in his attempt from individual freedom?
2). What consequences exists for man and society when attaining freedom?
3) What cultural and social roadblocks does man face in this process?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)