|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fromm believe each individual is capable of expressing, as discussed in the chapter "Freedom and Democracy"?
2. What practice does Fromm cite evidence that an individual's thoughts could be suggested by someone else?
3. Who does the individual submit to when conforming?
4. What German social class supported Hitler but did not adopt his ideologies?
5. What is the original self?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
2. What are the consequences for the individual and society when pressure to conform exists?
3. How is an individual's character structure affected by economic and political changes?
4. How does the loss of identify affect an individual's willingness to conform, and what are the consequences for it?
5. What two choices does a person have when confronted by isolation and fear in achieving freedom?
6. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
7. What two false theories does Fromm discount that accounted for the rise of Nazism?
8. How does formal education limit a child's freedom?
9. What role does the family have in developing the character structure of an individual?
10. What characteristics describe the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that compares Nazism to another authoritarian regime (Italian Fascism, North Vietnam, Chinese communism). In your essay, be sure to address the following points:
1). Similarities and differences in authoritarian leadership style.
2). Identify the political affiliations of both regimes.
3). Describe the historical events surrounding authoritarianism.
4). Explain how each regime suppresses the freedom of its citizens.
Essay Topic 2
Define the political, social and economic impact capitalism had on individual freedom. In your answer, address the following historical events:
1). The Protestant Reformation-How did this religious movement bring about economic change and increased social class freedom?
2). The Renaissance-How was this movement characterized by capitalism? What impact did it have on society and the individual?
3). Post World War I Germany-how did the economic situation of inflation and depression change the political an social climate in pre-Nazi Germany?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Fromm's argument that the Nazi party came to power due to sadomasochistic tendencies. In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain why Hitler was a sadomasochistic leader.
2). Define the roles of submission and dominance in the power of Nazism.
3). Explain what group of people submitted fully to Hitler, and why.
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)