|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What German social class supported Hitler but did not adopt his ideologies?
2. Why did the first group of Germans who supported Hitler submit to the power of the Nazis?
3. Which view of human culture takes into account how religious ideas develop economic behavior?
4. What does Fromm believe each individual is capable of expressing, as discussed in the chapter "Freedom and Democracy"?
5. Why did the second group of Germans who both supported the Nazis and adopt their ideas submit to Hitler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the family have in developing the character structure of an individual?
2. What is automaton conformity?
3. What were the economic, social, and political conditions like in Germany prior to Hitler's rise to power?
4. What is social character?
5. What traits of an authoritarian character did Hitler possess?
6. What are the consequences for the individual and society when pressure to conform exists?
7. How does Fromm describe masochistic people?
8. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
9. According to Fromm, why are "normal" people willing to conform to the ideas of an authoritarian character?
10. What two choices does a person have when confronted by isolation and fear in achieving freedom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Fromm's argument that the Nazi party came to power due to sadomasochistic tendencies. In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain why Hitler was a sadomasochistic leader.
2). Define the roles of submission and dominance in the power of Nazism.
3). Explain what group of people submitted fully to Hitler, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationship between democracy and freedom. In your response, be sure to addresses the following questions:
1). How are freedom and democracy symbiotic?
2). How are freedom and democracy at odds with each other?
3). Find an example from modern world history where a country has a democratic system of government, but does not provide individual freedom to its citizens. Explain why this is significant to Fromm's ideas about freedom and democracy.
Essay Topic 3
Define the political, social and economic impact capitalism had on individual freedom. In your answer, address the following historical events:
1). The Protestant Reformation-How did this religious movement bring about economic change and increased social class freedom?
2). The Renaissance-How was this movement characterized by capitalism? What impact did it have on society and the individual?
3). Post World War I Germany-how did the economic situation of inflation and depression change the political an social climate in pre-Nazi Germany?
This section contains 1,463 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)