|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Fromm give to the isolation that allows Fascism to grow?
2. What happened to Germany's economic stability following World War I?
3. According to Freud's "psychologistic" approach to understanding human culture, what image inspired early Christianity?
4. What is "spontaneous" action?
5. What is democratic socialism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
2. What is the social function of education?
3. What is authority, as defined in the chapter "Mechanisms of Escape"?
4. How does social character affect different groups?
5. What characteristics describe the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
6. What are the consequences for the individual and society when pressure to conform exists?
7. How does Fromm describe masochistic people?
8. What two choices does a person have when confronted by isolation and fear in achieving freedom?
9. According to Fromm, why are "normal" people willing to conform to the ideas of an authoritarian character?
10. How does the loss of identify affect an individual's willingness to conform, and what are the consequences for it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the social, economic, and individual lessons learned from Nazism. In your response, include the following information:
1). How did Nazism affect the entire social structure of Germany?
2). Examine how Hitler used social class to spread his sadomasochistic message of dominance.
3). What economic factors affected Nazism?
4). How did the individual lose himself and his freedom when the Nazi party came to power?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate Fromm's thoughts on the causes of isolation and fear. In your essay, be sure to explain the following:
1). What economic, political, and social systems create alienation and fear?
2). How does man cope with these feelings?
3). What are some of the positive and negative consequences for society when man feels frightened and alone?
4). What are some of the positive and negative consequences for man when he feels isolated and scared?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that compares Nazism to another authoritarian regime (Italian Fascism, North Vietnam, Chinese communism). In your essay, be sure to address the following points:
1). Similarities and differences in authoritarian leadership style.
2). Identify the political affiliations of both regimes.
3). Describe the historical events surrounding authoritarianism.
4). Explain how each regime suppresses the freedom of its citizens.
This section contains 1,383 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)