|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is automaton conformity?
2. What does the development of individual and social characters lead to?
3. According to Fromm, who must the economy be a servant to?
4. What type of character was familiar to the lower, middle class?
5. What dual desires did Nazi ideology appeal to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a democratic society put pressure on individuals to conform?
2. What is authority, as defined in the chapter "Mechanisms of Escape"?
3. What are the consequences for the individual and society when pressure to conform exists?
4. How does Fromm describe sadistic people?
5. What is the relationship between sadism and masochism? How does the relationship affect authoritarian characters?
6. What role does character play in the individual and society?
7. What are the similarities and differences between sadism and destructiveness?
8. What were the economic, social, and political conditions like in Germany prior to Hitler's rise to power?
9. What is spontaneous action and original thought?
10. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Fromm's definition of freedom. In your answer, be sure to address the following:
1). What does man gain in his attempt from individual freedom?
2). What consequences exists for man and society when attaining freedom?
3) What cultural and social roadblocks does man face in this process?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Fromm's argument that the Nazi party came to power due to sadomasochistic tendencies. In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain why Hitler was a sadomasochistic leader.
2). Define the roles of submission and dominance in the power of Nazism.
3). Explain what group of people submitted fully to Hitler, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in great detail Fromm's three "Mechanisms of Escape." Your essay should be divided into three sections:
1). Describe authoritarianism, the authoritarian character, why people submit to authoritarian leaders, and examples from history.
2). Explain Fromm's definition of destructiveness, what causes it, consequences for it, and historical examples.
3). Evaluate the effects of automaton conformity on society and the individual man.
This section contains 1,352 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)