|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What forces does an individual need freedom from in order to be a free individual?
2. What does Fromm call the political freedoms associated with capitalism?
3. Why were individuals able to enjoy some expressive and emotional freedom during medieval times?
4. According to Calvin, what does leading a virtuous life alleviate?
5. Which of the following is NOT a way in which a child grows during the individuation process?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did capitalism change the individual's role in society?
2. What economic changes altered the social ideology at the end of the 16th century?
3. What is the significance of the department store reference that Fromm makes in the chapter, "The Two Aspects of Freedom and Modern Man"?
4. What new social class developed during the Renaissance and how did it affect their freedom?
5. What was the economic system like during medieval times?
6. How does capitalism affect an individual's freedom, and what are Fromm's criticisms of capitalism?
7. How does Fromm feel about man gaining freedom but losing personal security?
8. What are Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Kafka, and Green's points of view with regards to the individual?
9. What were John Calvin's ideas about religion, and how were they similar and different to Luther's ideologies?
10. How does an individual's learning further the process of individuation and how does this affect a child's relationship with his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Fromm use Nazism to discuss authoritarianism and automaton conformity? How does the ideology of Nazism connect with Fromm's ideas on individuality and freedom? What other authoritarian political ideology possesses similar authoritarian and conformity tendencies?
Essay Topic 2
Describe in great detail Fromm's three "Mechanisms of Escape." Your essay should be divided into three sections:
1). Describe authoritarianism, the authoritarian character, why people submit to authoritarian leaders, and examples from history.
2). Explain Fromm's definition of destructiveness, what causes it, consequences for it, and historical examples.
3). Evaluate the effects of automaton conformity on society and the individual man.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that compares Nazism to another authoritarian regime (Italian Fascism, North Vietnam, Chinese communism). In your essay, be sure to address the following points:
1). Similarities and differences in authoritarian leadership style.
2). Identify the political affiliations of both regimes.
3). Describe the historical events surrounding authoritarianism.
4). Explain how each regime suppresses the freedom of its citizens.
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)