|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political ideology did Nietzsche find nihilism intertwined with?
2. Who accompanied Robinson Crusoe on his adventures?
3. What is a consequence for man eating the forbidden fruit?
4. Who described moral isolation in "The Inventor's Suffering"?
5. According to the Catholic Church, what corrupts man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the similarities and differences between sadism and destructiveness?
2. What role does the family have in developing the character structure of an individual?
3. What two false theories does Fromm discount that accounted for the rise of Nazism?
4. How does Fromm describe masochistic people?
5. What was the economic system like during medieval times?
6. What are Fromm's thoughts about the battles for freedom in the chapter "Freedom-A Psychological Problem"?
7. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
8. What economic changes altered the social ideology at the end of the 16th century?
9. How does the biblical story of man's exodus from paradise relate to Fromm's ideas about choice and freedom?
10. What qualities did Hitler and Nazism possess that appealed to a large population of Germans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the political, social and economic impact capitalism had on individual freedom. In your answer, address the following historical events:
1). The Protestant Reformation-How did this religious movement bring about economic change and increased social class freedom?
2). The Renaissance-How was this movement characterized by capitalism? What impact did it have on society and the individual?
3). Post World War I Germany-how did the economic situation of inflation and depression change the political an social climate in pre-Nazi Germany?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Erich Fromm title his book "Escape from Freedom"? What evidence supports this title? Identify another possible title for this book. Using evidence from throughout Fromm's book, explain why this would be an appropriate title. Which title do you prefer, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the freedoms individuals possessed under the Catholic Church and those under Protestantism. In your response, be sure to answer the following questions:
1). Which religion provided greater freedom for the individual, and how did it provide that freedom?
2). How were other organized structures like politics and economics affected by each religion?
3). How did each religion appeal to the different social classes?
4). How did social class affect one's freedom?
This section contains 2,432 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)