|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did man lose as a result of his new-found freedom during the Renaissance?
2. According to the Catholic Church, what corrupts man?
3. What is the name of Franz Kafka's work that Fromm references in his book?
4. Why did the middle class see an increase in white-collar workers?
5. Whose work about a ten-year-old child's awareness of self does Fromm reference?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did capitalism pave the way for greater freedom for man?
2. What are Fromm's ideas about work, the economy, and society?
3. How do Fromm and Luther differ in the definition of selfishness?
4. How does capitalism affect an individual's freedom, and what are Fromm's criticisms of capitalism?
5. What were John Calvin's ideas about religion, and how were they similar and different to Luther's ideologies?
6. What aspects of the medieval system benefited the individual?
7. How did the Protestant Reformation affect individual freedom?
8. What is the significance of World War I when talking about freedom?
9. How did Luther's teachings support capitalism?
10. How does an individual's learning further the process of individuation and how does this affect a child's relationship with his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the middle class in Fromm's book. Why was the middle class so significant in the Protestant Reformation? How was this role different than in the Catholic Church? How did the middle class emerge under capitalism? What consequences did this bring for society? How did Hitler manipulate the middle class? Would Hitler and Nazism have had a different effect without the support of the middle class? What other examples in history used the weight of the middle class?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that compares Nazism to another authoritarian regime (Italian Fascism, North Vietnam, Chinese communism). In your essay, be sure to address the following points:
1). Similarities and differences in authoritarian leadership style.
2). Identify the political affiliations of both regimes.
3). Describe the historical events surrounding authoritarianism.
4). Explain how each regime suppresses the freedom of its citizens.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Hitler's authoritarian style of leadership to that of a democratic leader like President Obama. In your response, address the following points:
1). How are these leadership styles different?
2). What would Fromm state as to the reason for these differences?
3). Are there any similarities between Hitler's leadership style and Hitler's? If so, what are those similarities and if not, why aren't there any similarities?
4). Use Fromm's thoughts on freedom and democracy as well as the psychology of Nazism to support your evidence and inferences.
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)