|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes in a child's relationship to society during the individuation process?
2. What factor most affected a person's change of identify during the Middle Ages?
3. What goal does Fromm identify as the "abolition of external domination"?
4. What is the name of Franz Kafka's work that Fromm references in his book?
5. What advantage do animals have over man when entering the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the economic system like during medieval times?
2. What is the difference between static and dynamic adaptation?
3. How does the history of the child relates to Fromm's ideas about freedom?
4. How do Fromm and Luther differ in the definition of selfishness?
5. What are Freud's thoughts on man and society?
6. How does Fromm feel about man gaining freedom but losing personal security?
7. How did capitalism pave the way for greater freedom for man?
8. How does the biblical story of man's exodus from paradise relate to Fromm's ideas about choice and freedom?
9. What is the significance of the department store reference that Fromm makes in the chapter, "The Two Aspects of Freedom and Modern Man"?
10. What aspects of the medieval system benefited the individual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Fromm and Freud's points of view on human development. In your essay, answer the following questions:
1). How are Freud and Fromm similar in their beliefs of human development?
2). What beliefs are different between these two thinkers?
3). Describe Fromm's analysis of other academics beliefs, including the Marxist historians and "idealists" like Weber.
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate Fromm's thoughts on the causes of isolation and fear. In your essay, be sure to explain the following:
1). What economic, political, and social systems create alienation and fear?
2). How does man cope with these feelings?
3). What are some of the positive and negative consequences for society when man feels frightened and alone?
4). What are some of the positive and negative consequences for man when he feels isolated and scared?
Essay Topic 3
Describe a fictitious society where man has complete and total freedom. Your essay should answer the following questions:
1). What is the political structure of this society?
2). Is there one central authority figure? If so, describe this individual. If not, explain why this individual does not exist.
3). What structures/ideologies/rules are in place that guarantee man his freedom?
4). Is everyone happy with the amount of freedom given to them?
5). Based on Fromm's definition of freedom, what would he say about this society? Would he agree that the individuals in this society have complete and total freedom?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)