Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factor most affected a person's change of identify during the Middle Ages?
2. What cultural time period was Europe moving toward, following the Middle Ages?
3. What drives man's struggle for self-promotion?
4. Where did the Renaissance begin?
5. What does Fromm say increases a child's emotional state?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does social character affect different groups?
2. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
3. How does an individual's learning further the process of individuation and how does this affect a child's relationship with his mother?
4. How did capitalism pave the way for greater freedom for man?
5. What are Fromm's thoughts about the battles for freedom in the chapter "Freedom-A Psychological Problem"?
6. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
7. What is authority, as defined in the chapter "Mechanisms of Escape"?
8. How does Fromm feel about man gaining freedom but losing personal security?
9. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
10. How did Lutheranism challenge the Catholic Church?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of this Benjamin Franklin quote to Fromm's analysis of freedom: "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain the relevance of this quote with regards to Fromm's book.
2). Cite text examples from Fromm's book where people have given up their liberty for safety and vice versa.
3). Give several personal examples of how high school students give up some of their liberties for security.
4). Based on the evidence in Fromm's book, would he agree with Franklin? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Fromm and Freud's points of view on human development. In your essay, answer the following questions:
1). How are Freud and Fromm similar in their beliefs of human development?
2). What beliefs are different between these two thinkers?
3). Describe Fromm's analysis of other academics beliefs, including the Marxist historians and "idealists" like Weber.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the social, economic, and individual lessons learned from Nazism. In your response, include the following information:
1). How did Nazism affect the entire social structure of Germany?
2). Examine how Hitler used social class to spread his sadomasochistic message of dominance.
3). What economic factors affected Nazism?
4). How did the individual lose himself and his freedom when the Nazi party came to power?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)