|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanied Robinson Crusoe on his adventures?
2. What is individuation?
3. What goal does Fromm identify as the "abolition of external domination"?
4. What psychological behavior was the main theme of Hitler's ideology?
5. Why did the middle class see an increase in white-collar workers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does capitalism affect an individual's freedom, and what are Fromm's criticisms of capitalism?
2. What new social class developed during the Renaissance and how did it affect their freedom?
3. What are Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Kafka, and Green's points of view with regards to the individual?
4. What are the consequences for the individual and society when pressure to conform exists?
5. What two false theories does Fromm discount that accounted for the rise of Nazism?
6. What does Fromm say about man's value is determined by the capitalistic economy?
7. How are Fromm's ideas about the individual and society different from Freud's analysis?
8. What are the three falsehoods about authoritarianism?
9. What qualities did Hitler and Nazism possess that appealed to a large population of Germans?
10. How does Fromm uses freedom of speech to explain that when a freedom is gained, it is also restricted?
Essay Topic 1
Define the political, social and economic impact capitalism had on individual freedom. In your answer, address the following historical events:
1). The Protestant Reformation-How did this religious movement bring about economic change and increased social class freedom?
2). The Renaissance-How was this movement characterized by capitalism? What impact did it have on society and the individual?
3). Post World War I Germany-how did the economic situation of inflation and depression change the political an social climate in pre-Nazi Germany?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that compares Nazism to another authoritarian regime (Italian Fascism, North Vietnam, Chinese communism). In your essay, be sure to address the following points:
1). Similarities and differences in authoritarian leadership style.
2). Identify the political affiliations of both regimes.
3). Describe the historical events surrounding authoritarianism.
4). Explain how each regime suppresses the freedom of its citizens.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Hitler's authoritarian style of leadership to that of a democratic leader like President Obama. In your response, address the following points:
1). How are these leadership styles different?
2). What would Fromm state as to the reason for these differences?
3). Are there any similarities between Hitler's leadership style and Hitler's? If so, what are those similarities and if not, why aren't there any similarities?
4). Use Fromm's thoughts on freedom and democracy as well as the psychology of Nazism to support your evidence and inferences.
This section contains 2,506 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)