|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relationship connects oneself to the world without compromising individuality?
2. What does Fromm call the political freedoms associated with capitalism?
3. Which of the following is NOT a way in which a child grows during the individuation process?
4. What church dominated religion during the Middle Ages?
5. What independent business does Fromm reference as a model for the new middle class?
Short Essay Questions
1. What economic changes altered the social ideology at the end of the 16th century?
2. How does the history of the child relates to Fromm's ideas about freedom?
3. How did capitalism change the individual's role in society?
4. What is the significance of World War I when talking about freedom?
5. What is the significance of the department store reference that Fromm makes in the chapter, "The Two Aspects of Freedom and Modern Man"?
6. How did the economic changes of the Renaissance impact the social order in society?
7. What are Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Kafka, and Green's points of view with regards to the individual?
8. How does Fromm feel about man gaining freedom but losing personal security?
9. What impact did cultural events from the Middle Ages through the modern era have on Fromm's meaning of freedom?
10. How did capitalism pave the way for greater freedom for man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Fromm and Freud's points of view on human development. In your essay, answer the following questions:
1). How are Freud and Fromm similar in their beliefs of human development?
2). What beliefs are different between these two thinkers?
3). Describe Fromm's analysis of other academics beliefs, including the Marxist historians and "idealists" like Weber.
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate Fromm's thoughts on the causes of isolation and fear. In your essay, be sure to explain the following:
1). What economic, political, and social systems create alienation and fear?
2). How does man cope with these feelings?
3). What are some of the positive and negative consequences for society when man feels frightened and alone?
4). What are some of the positive and negative consequences for man when he feels isolated and scared?
Essay Topic 3
Define the political, social and economic impact capitalism had on individual freedom. In your answer, address the following historical events:
1). The Protestant Reformation-How did this religious movement bring about economic change and increased social class freedom?
2). The Renaissance-How was this movement characterized by capitalism? What impact did it have on society and the individual?
3). Post World War I Germany-how did the economic situation of inflation and depression change the political an social climate in pre-Nazi Germany?
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)