|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a positive social aspect of the Middle Ages?
2. How did the Middle Ages support man's freedom?
3. Which of the following was NOT a restriction during the Middle Ages?
4. What advantage do animals have over man when entering the world?
5. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Kafka, and Green's points of view with regards to the individual?
2. What were John Calvin's ideas about religion, and how were they similar and different to Luther's ideologies?
3. How does Fromm uses freedom of speech to explain that when a freedom is gained, it is also restricted?
4. How did the Protestant Reformation affect individual freedom?
5. How did capitalism change the individual's role in society?
6. How does capitalism affect an individual's freedom, and what are Fromm's criticisms of capitalism?
7. What economic changes altered the social ideology at the end of the 16th century?
8. What is the difference between static and dynamic adaptation?
9. How do Fromm and Luther differ in the definition of selfishness?
10. How does the biblical story of man's exodus from paradise relate to Fromm's ideas about choice and freedom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Hitler's authoritarian style of leadership to that of a democratic leader like President Obama. In your response, address the following points:
1). How are these leadership styles different?
2). What would Fromm state as to the reason for these differences?
3). Are there any similarities between Hitler's leadership style and Hitler's? If so, what are those similarities and if not, why aren't there any similarities?
4). Use Fromm's thoughts on freedom and democracy as well as the psychology of Nazism to support your evidence and inferences.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of this Benjamin Franklin quote to Fromm's analysis of freedom: "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain the relevance of this quote with regards to Fromm's book.
2). Cite text examples from Fromm's book where people have given up their liberty for safety and vice versa.
3). Give several personal examples of how high school students give up some of their liberties for security.
4). Based on the evidence in Fromm's book, would he agree with Franklin? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Fromm use Nazism to discuss authoritarianism and automaton conformity? How does the ideology of Nazism connect with Fromm's ideas on individuality and freedom? What other authoritarian political ideology possesses similar authoritarian and conformity tendencies?
This section contains 1,400 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)