|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Franz Kafka's work that Fromm references in his book?
2. Who described the fearful individual as tormented by self-doubt?
3. How did capitalism change the role of individuals?
4. What forces does an individual need freedom from in order to be a free individual?
5. What new economic system grew out of the Reformation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does an individual's learning further the process of individuation and how does this affect a child's relationship with his mother?
2. What is the significance of the department store reference that Fromm makes in the chapter, "The Two Aspects of Freedom and Modern Man"?
3. How does the history of the child relates to Fromm's ideas about freedom?
4. What is the significance of World War I when talking about freedom?
5. What are the differences between an individual's freedom between the medieval and modern societies?
6. What are the three falsehoods about authoritarianism?
7. What impact did cultural events from the Middle Ages through the modern era have on Fromm's meaning of freedom?
8. What aspects of the medieval system benefited the individual?
9. How does capitalism affect an individual's freedom, and what are Fromm's criticisms of capitalism?
10. How did capitalism pave the way for greater freedom for man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship Hitler had with the lower, middle class of Germany. In your essay, be sure to answer the following questions:
1). How was this relationship mutually beneficial to both Hitler and the lower, middle class citizens?
2). How was Hitler able to secure the support from this social class?
3). Did the lower, middle class remain loyal to Hitler and vice versa?
4). What role did the economic troubles of the lower, middle class play in their relationship with Hitler?
Essay Topic 2
Define the political, social and economic impact capitalism had on individual freedom. In your answer, address the following historical events:
1). The Protestant Reformation-How did this religious movement bring about economic change and increased social class freedom?
2). The Renaissance-How was this movement characterized by capitalism? What impact did it have on society and the individual?
3). Post World War I Germany-how did the economic situation of inflation and depression change the political an social climate in pre-Nazi Germany?
Essay Topic 3
How do religious, political, and social structures support and limit man's individuality and freedom? In your response, include the following information:
1). Religion during the Middle Ages to the Modern Age. Include text evidence about the Catholic Church, the Protestant Reformation and the beliefs of its leaders.
2). Fromm's thoughts about Fascism, Nazism, and democracy. Text examples should also include information about how these political ideologies influence an individual's freedom.
3). Theories about society and conformity.
This section contains 1,394 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)