|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Fromm cite for the rise of authoritarian leaders like Hitler?
2. Fromm likens man's sin of eating the forbidden fruit to what act?
3. What is man's "biological weakness"?
4. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
5. What example does Fromm use to point out a contradiction of freedom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fromm say about man's value is determined by the capitalistic economy?
2. What aspects of the medieval system benefited the individual?
3. How did the Protestant Reformation affect individual freedom?
4. What are Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Kafka, and Green's points of view with regards to the individual?
5. What was the economic system like during medieval times?
6. What are Fromm's ideas about work, the economy, and society?
7. How does Fromm uses freedom of speech to explain that when a freedom is gained, it is also restricted?
8. How did Lutheranism challenge the Catholic Church?
9. How does capitalism affect an individual's freedom, and what are Fromm's criticisms of capitalism?
10. What were John Calvin's ideas about religion, and how were they similar and different to Luther's ideologies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate Fromm's thoughts on the causes of isolation and fear. In your essay, be sure to explain the following:
1). What economic, political, and social systems create alienation and fear?
2). How does man cope with these feelings?
3). What are some of the positive and negative consequences for society when man feels frightened and alone?
4). What are some of the positive and negative consequences for man when he feels isolated and scared?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Hitler's authoritarian style of leadership to that of a democratic leader like President Obama. In your response, address the following points:
1). How are these leadership styles different?
2). What would Fromm state as to the reason for these differences?
3). Are there any similarities between Hitler's leadership style and Hitler's? If so, what are those similarities and if not, why aren't there any similarities?
4). Use Fromm's thoughts on freedom and democracy as well as the psychology of Nazism to support your evidence and inferences.
Essay Topic 3
Define the political, social and economic impact capitalism had on individual freedom. In your answer, address the following historical events:
1). The Protestant Reformation-How did this religious movement bring about economic change and increased social class freedom?
2). The Renaissance-How was this movement characterized by capitalism? What impact did it have on society and the individual?
3). Post World War I Germany-how did the economic situation of inflation and depression change the political an social climate in pre-Nazi Germany?
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)