|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What economic related problem led to feelings of individual powerlessness?
2. What relationship connects oneself to the world without compromising individuality?
3. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
4. In the description of Emily's self-discovery, what did she examine when sitting on her perch?
5. What political ideology did Nietzsche find nihilism intertwined with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the history of the child relates to Fromm's ideas about freedom?
2. What aspects of the medieval system benefited the individual?
3. How did Lutheranism challenge the Catholic Church?
4. What are Fromm's thoughts about the choices an individual faces?
5. What are the differences between an individual's freedom between the medieval and modern societies?
6. How was fascism viewed when it first came to power?
7. What is the significance of World War I when talking about freedom?
8. How does Fromm uses freedom of speech to explain that when a freedom is gained, it is also restricted?
9. What was the economic system like during medieval times?
10. What were John Calvin's ideas about religion, and how were they similar and different to Luther's ideologies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the freedoms individuals possessed under the Catholic Church and those under Protestantism. In your response, be sure to answer the following questions:
1). Which religion provided greater freedom for the individual, and how did it provide that freedom?
2). How were other organized structures like politics and economics affected by each religion?
3). How did each religion appeal to the different social classes?
4). How did social class affect one's freedom?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how an individual's freedom has changed over time. Begin with Fromm's discussion of freedom during the Middle Ages and continue with the changes freedom saw during the Renaissance. Analyze the level of freedom man has during times of conformity, like during Hitler's Nazi regime, and how freedoms are restored in a democratic society.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Erich Fromm title his book "Escape from Freedom"? What evidence supports this title? Identify another possible title for this book. Using evidence from throughout Fromm's book, explain why this would be an appropriate title. Which title do you prefer, and why?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)