|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Luther define selfishness?
2. Why did the middle class see an increase in white-collar workers?
3. What factor most affected a person's change of identify during the Middle Ages?
4. What is a consequence for man eating the forbidden fruit?
5. What church dominated religion during the Middle Ages?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Fromm's ideas about the individual and society different from Freud's analysis?
2. What impact did cultural events from the Middle Ages through the modern era have on Fromm's meaning of freedom?
3. How did capitalism change the individual's role in society?
4. What does Fromm say about man's value is determined by the capitalistic economy?
5. How do Fromm and Luther differ in the definition of selfishness?
6. How does the history of the child relates to Fromm's ideas about freedom?
7. How did capitalism pave the way for greater freedom for man?
8. What aspects of the medieval system benefited the individual?
9. How does an individual's learning further the process of individuation and how does this affect a child's relationship with his mother?
10. What economic changes altered the social ideology at the end of the 16th century?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how an individual's freedom has changed over time. Begin with Fromm's discussion of freedom during the Middle Ages and continue with the changes freedom saw during the Renaissance. Analyze the level of freedom man has during times of conformity, like during Hitler's Nazi regime, and how freedoms are restored in a democratic society.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in great detail Fromm's three "Mechanisms of Escape." Your essay should be divided into three sections:
1). Describe authoritarianism, the authoritarian character, why people submit to authoritarian leaders, and examples from history.
2). Explain Fromm's definition of destructiveness, what causes it, consequences for it, and historical examples.
3). Evaluate the effects of automaton conformity on society and the individual man.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the middle class in Fromm's book. Why was the middle class so significant in the Protestant Reformation? How was this role different than in the Catholic Church? How did the middle class emerge under capitalism? What consequences did this bring for society? How did Hitler manipulate the middle class? Would Hitler and Nazism have had a different effect without the support of the middle class? What other examples in history used the weight of the middle class?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)