|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What war do many consider to be ultimate victory for freedom, according to Fromm?
2. Why does man suffer from eating the forbidden fruit?
3. What political ideology did Nietzsche find nihilism intertwined with?
4. Why were individuals able to enjoy some expressive and emotional freedom during medieval times?
5. How does Fromm define selfishness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Fromm's ideas about work, the economy, and society?
2. How does the history of the child relates to Fromm's ideas about freedom?
3. How was fascism viewed when it first came to power?
4. What are Fromm's thoughts about the battles for freedom in the chapter "Freedom-A Psychological Problem"?
5. How did the economic changes of the Renaissance impact the social order in society?
6. How do Fromm and Luther differ in the definition of selfishness?
7. What new social class developed during the Renaissance and how did it affect their freedom?
8. What is the difference between static and dynamic adaptation?
9. What does Fromm say about man's value is determined by the capitalistic economy?
10. How did capitalism pave the way for greater freedom for man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Erich Fromm title his book "Escape from Freedom"? What evidence supports this title? Identify another possible title for this book. Using evidence from throughout Fromm's book, explain why this would be an appropriate title. Which title do you prefer, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of this Benjamin Franklin quote to Fromm's analysis of freedom: "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain the relevance of this quote with regards to Fromm's book.
2). Cite text examples from Fromm's book where people have given up their liberty for safety and vice versa.
3). Give several personal examples of how high school students give up some of their liberties for security.
4). Based on the evidence in Fromm's book, would he agree with Franklin? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Fromm's argument that the Nazi party came to power due to sadomasochistic tendencies. In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain why Hitler was a sadomasochistic leader.
2). Define the roles of submission and dominance in the power of Nazism.
3). Explain what group of people submitted fully to Hitler, and why.
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)