Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factor most affected a person's change of identify during the Middle Ages?
2. What cultural time period was Europe moving toward, following the Middle Ages?
3. What drives man's struggle for self-promotion?
4. Where did the Renaissance begin?
5. What does Fromm say increases a child's emotional state?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does social character affect different groups?
2. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
3. How does an individual's learning further the process of individuation and how does this affect a child's relationship with his mother?
4. How did capitalism pave the way for greater freedom for man?
5. What are Fromm's thoughts about the battles for freedom in the chapter "Freedom-A Psychological Problem"?
6. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
7. What is authority, as defined in the chapter "Mechanisms of Escape"?
8. How does Fromm feel about man gaining freedom but losing personal security?
9. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
10. How did Lutheranism challenge the Catholic Church?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of this Benjamin Franklin quote to Fromm's analysis of freedom: "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain the relevance of this quote with regards to Fromm's book.
2). Cite text examples from Fromm's book where people have given up their liberty for safety and vice versa.
3). Give several personal examples of how high school students give up some of their liberties for security.
4). Based on the evidence in Fromm's book, would he agree with Franklin? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How do religious, political, and social structures support and limit man's individuality and freedom? In your response, include the following information:
1). Religion during the Middle Ages to the Modern Age. Include text evidence about the Catholic Church, the Protestant Reformation and the beliefs of its leaders.
2). Fromm's thoughts about Fascism, Nazism, and democracy. Text examples should also include information about how these political ideologies influence an individual's freedom.
3). Theories about society and conformity.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Fromm's definition of freedom. In your answer, be sure to address the following:
1). What does man gain in his attempt from individual freedom?
2). What consequences exists for man and society when attaining freedom?
3) What cultural and social roadblocks does man face in this process?
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)