|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What goal does Fromm identify as the "abolition of external domination"?
2. Why does man suffer from eating the forbidden fruit?
3. According to Calvin, what does leading a virtuous life alleviate?
4. How did capitalism change the role of individuals?
5. Which writer recognized man's lust for power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact did cultural events from the Middle Ages through the modern era have on Fromm's meaning of freedom?
2. What are Fromm's thoughts about the battles for freedom in the chapter "Freedom-A Psychological Problem"?
3. How does an individual's learning further the process of individuation and how does this affect a child's relationship with his mother?
4. What new social class developed during the Renaissance and how did it affect their freedom?
5. What are Freud's thoughts on man and society?
6. How are Fromm's ideas about the individual and society different from Freud's analysis?
7. How did Lutheranism challenge the Catholic Church?
8. What are Fromm's thoughts about the choices an individual faces?
9. What were John Calvin's ideas about religion, and how were they similar and different to Luther's ideologies?
10. What are the differences between an individual's freedom between the medieval and modern societies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Fromm's argument that the Nazi party came to power due to sadomasochistic tendencies. In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain why Hitler was a sadomasochistic leader.
2). Define the roles of submission and dominance in the power of Nazism.
3). Explain what group of people submitted fully to Hitler, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the middle class in Fromm's book. Why was the middle class so significant in the Protestant Reformation? How was this role different than in the Catholic Church? How did the middle class emerge under capitalism? What consequences did this bring for society? How did Hitler manipulate the middle class? Would Hitler and Nazism have had a different effect without the support of the middle class? What other examples in history used the weight of the middle class?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate Fromm's thoughts on the causes of isolation and fear. In your essay, be sure to explain the following:
1). What economic, political, and social systems create alienation and fear?
2). How does man cope with these feelings?
3). What are some of the positive and negative consequences for society when man feels frightened and alone?
4). What are some of the positive and negative consequences for man when he feels isolated and scared?
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)