Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factor most affected a person's change of identify during the Middle Ages?
2. What cultural time period was Europe moving toward, following the Middle Ages?
3. What drives man's struggle for self-promotion?
4. Where did the Renaissance begin?
5. What does Fromm say increases a child's emotional state?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does social character affect different groups?
2. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
3. How does an individual's learning further the process of individuation and how does this affect a child's relationship with his mother?
4. How did capitalism pave the way for greater freedom for man?
5. What are Fromm's thoughts about the battles for freedom in the chapter "Freedom-A Psychological Problem"?
6. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
7. What is authority, as defined in the chapter "Mechanisms of Escape"?
8. How does Fromm feel about man gaining freedom but losing personal security?
9. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
10. How did Lutheranism challenge the Catholic Church?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Fromm use Nazism to discuss authoritarianism and automaton conformity? How does the ideology of Nazism connect with Fromm's ideas on individuality and freedom? What other authoritarian political ideology possesses similar authoritarian and conformity tendencies?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that compares Nazism to another authoritarian regime (Italian Fascism, North Vietnam, Chinese communism). In your essay, be sure to address the following points:
1). Similarities and differences in authoritarian leadership style.
2). Identify the political affiliations of both regimes.
3). Describe the historical events surrounding authoritarianism.
4). Explain how each regime suppresses the freedom of its citizens.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the middle class in Fromm's book. Why was the middle class so significant in the Protestant Reformation? How was this role different than in the Catholic Church? How did the middle class emerge under capitalism? What consequences did this bring for society? How did Hitler manipulate the middle class? Would Hitler and Nazism have had a different effect without the support of the middle class? What other examples in history used the weight of the middle class?
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)