|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling did the inflation in 1923 Germany and the American crash in 1929 create?
2. Which of the following did man NOT have to face while living in Eden?
3. Why was medieval man in bondage?
4. What political ideology did Nietzsche find nihilism intertwined with?
5. According to Calvin, what does leading a virtuous life alleviate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Freud's thoughts on man and society?
2. How does Fromm uses freedom of speech to explain that when a freedom is gained, it is also restricted?
3. What are Fromm's thoughts about the battles for freedom in the chapter "Freedom-A Psychological Problem"?
4. What were John Calvin's ideas about religion, and how were they similar and different to Luther's ideologies?
5. How did Lutheranism challenge the Catholic Church?
6. How was fascism viewed when it first came to power?
7. How does the biblical story of man's exodus from paradise relate to Fromm's ideas about choice and freedom?
8. What is the difference between static and dynamic adaptation?
9. How did capitalism change the individual's role in society?
10. What is the significance of World War I when talking about freedom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship Hitler had with the lower, middle class of Germany. In your essay, be sure to answer the following questions:
1). How was this relationship mutually beneficial to both Hitler and the lower, middle class citizens?
2). How was Hitler able to secure the support from this social class?
3). Did the lower, middle class remain loyal to Hitler and vice versa?
4). What role did the economic troubles of the lower, middle class play in their relationship with Hitler?
Essay Topic 2
How do religious, political, and social structures support and limit man's individuality and freedom? In your response, include the following information:
1). Religion during the Middle Ages to the Modern Age. Include text evidence about the Catholic Church, the Protestant Reformation and the beliefs of its leaders.
2). Fromm's thoughts about Fascism, Nazism, and democracy. Text examples should also include information about how these political ideologies influence an individual's freedom.
3). Theories about society and conformity.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Fromm use Nazism to discuss authoritarianism and automaton conformity? How does the ideology of Nazism connect with Fromm's ideas on individuality and freedom? What other authoritarian political ideology possesses similar authoritarian and conformity tendencies?
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)