|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Renaissance begin?
2. What new economic system grew out of the Reformation?
3. What did man lose as a result of his new-found freedom during the Renaissance?
4. Which workers was the medieval economy based on?
5. What example does Fromm use to point out a contradiction of freedom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did capitalism change the individual's role in society?
2. What was the economic system like during medieval times?
3. How does capitalism affect an individual's freedom, and what are Fromm's criticisms of capitalism?
4. How do Fromm and Luther differ in the definition of selfishness?
5. How did the Protestant Reformation affect individual freedom?
6. What aspects of the medieval system benefited the individual?
7. What is the significance of World War I when talking about freedom?
8. How does Fromm feel about man gaining freedom but losing personal security?
9. What are Fromm's ideas about work, the economy, and society?
10. What are the three falsehoods about authoritarianism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Fromm's definition of freedom. In your answer, be sure to address the following:
1). What does man gain in his attempt from individual freedom?
2). What consequences exists for man and society when attaining freedom?
3) What cultural and social roadblocks does man face in this process?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the relationship between democracy and freedom. In your response, be sure to addresses the following questions:
1). How are freedom and democracy symbiotic?
2). How are freedom and democracy at odds with each other?
3). Find an example from modern world history where a country has a democratic system of government, but does not provide individual freedom to its citizens. Explain why this is significant to Fromm's ideas about freedom and democracy.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Fromm and Freud's points of view on human development. In your essay, answer the following questions:
1). How are Freud and Fromm similar in their beliefs of human development?
2). What beliefs are different between these two thinkers?
3). Describe Fromm's analysis of other academics beliefs, including the Marxist historians and "idealists" like Weber.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)