|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which great thinker does Fromm NOT credit in his book?
2. According to Fromm's animal kingdom analogy, why is man so helpless at birth?
3. Why was medieval man in bondage?
4. What political ideology did John Dewey discuss?
5. Which workers was the medieval economy based on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between static and dynamic adaptation?
2. How did the Protestant Reformation affect individual freedom?
3. How does Fromm uses freedom of speech to explain that when a freedom is gained, it is also restricted?
4. What does Fromm say about man's value is determined by the capitalistic economy?
5. What economic changes altered the social ideology at the end of the 16th century?
6. What are Fromm's thoughts about the battles for freedom in the chapter "Freedom-A Psychological Problem"?
7. How do Fromm and Luther differ in the definition of selfishness?
8. What are the three falsehoods about authoritarianism?
9. How are Fromm's ideas about the individual and society different from Freud's analysis?
10. How did the economic changes of the Renaissance impact the social order in society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Fromm's definition of freedom. In your answer, be sure to address the following:
1). What does man gain in his attempt from individual freedom?
2). What consequences exists for man and society when attaining freedom?
3) What cultural and social roadblocks does man face in this process?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Fromm and Freud's points of view on human development. In your essay, answer the following questions:
1). How are Freud and Fromm similar in their beliefs of human development?
2). What beliefs are different between these two thinkers?
3). Describe Fromm's analysis of other academics beliefs, including the Marxist historians and "idealists" like Weber.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of this Benjamin Franklin quote to Fromm's analysis of freedom: "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain the relevance of this quote with regards to Fromm's book.
2). Cite text examples from Fromm's book where people have given up their liberty for safety and vice versa.
3). Give several personal examples of how high school students give up some of their liberties for security.
4). Based on the evidence in Fromm's book, would he agree with Franklin? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)