|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is individuation?
2. What did the new wealthy class seek during the Renaissance?
3. What is a consequence for man eating the forbidden fruit?
4. What biblical myth does Fromm reference?
5. Which of the following is NOT a way in which a child grows during the individuation process?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was fascism viewed when it first came to power?
2. What does Fromm say about man's value is determined by the capitalistic economy?
3. How did the economic changes of the Renaissance impact the social order in society?
4. How did the Protestant Reformation affect individual freedom?
5. How does capitalism affect an individual's freedom, and what are Fromm's criticisms of capitalism?
6. How does the biblical story of man's exodus from paradise relate to Fromm's ideas about choice and freedom?
7. What economic changes altered the social ideology at the end of the 16th century?
8. How are Fromm's ideas about the individual and society different from Freud's analysis?
9. How does the history of the child relates to Fromm's ideas about freedom?
10. What are the three falsehoods about authoritarianism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Fromm use Nazism to discuss authoritarianism and automaton conformity? How does the ideology of Nazism connect with Fromm's ideas on individuality and freedom? What other authoritarian political ideology possesses similar authoritarian and conformity tendencies?
Essay Topic 2
How do religious, political, and social structures support and limit man's individuality and freedom? In your response, include the following information:
1). Religion during the Middle Ages to the Modern Age. Include text evidence about the Catholic Church, the Protestant Reformation and the beliefs of its leaders.
2). Fromm's thoughts about Fascism, Nazism, and democracy. Text examples should also include information about how these political ideologies influence an individual's freedom.
3). Theories about society and conformity.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the middle class in Fromm's book. Why was the middle class so significant in the Protestant Reformation? How was this role different than in the Catholic Church? How did the middle class emerge under capitalism? What consequences did this bring for society? How did Hitler manipulate the middle class? Would Hitler and Nazism have had a different effect without the support of the middle class? What other examples in history used the weight of the middle class?
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)