Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factor most affected a person's change of identify during the Middle Ages?
2. What cultural time period was Europe moving toward, following the Middle Ages?
3. What drives man's struggle for self-promotion?
4. Where did the Renaissance begin?
5. What does Fromm say increases a child's emotional state?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does social character affect different groups?
2. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
3. How does an individual's learning further the process of individuation and how does this affect a child's relationship with his mother?
4. How did capitalism pave the way for greater freedom for man?
5. What are Fromm's thoughts about the battles for freedom in the chapter "Freedom-A Psychological Problem"?
6. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
7. What is authority, as defined in the chapter "Mechanisms of Escape"?
8. How does Fromm feel about man gaining freedom but losing personal security?
9. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
10. How did Lutheranism challenge the Catholic Church?
Analyze the social, economic, and individual lessons learned from Nazism. In your response, include the following information:
1). How did Nazism affect the entire social structure of Germany?
2). Examine how Hitler used social class to spread his sadomasochistic message of dominance.
3). What economic factors affected Nazism?
4). How did the individual lose himself and his freedom when the Nazi party came to power?
Describe the role of the middle class in Fromm's book. Why was the middle class so significant in the Protestant Reformation? How was this role different than in the Catholic Church? How did the middle class emerge under capitalism? What consequences did this bring for society? How did Hitler manipulate the middle class? Would Hitler and Nazism have had a different effect without the support of the middle class? What other examples in history used the weight of the middle class?
Analyze Fromm's argument that the Nazi party came to power due to sadomasochistic tendencies. In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain why Hitler was a sadomasochistic leader.
2). Define the roles of submission and dominance in the power of Nazism.
3). Explain what group of people submitted fully to Hitler, and why.
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)