|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is static adaptation?
2. How does Fromm define selfishness?
3. What goal does Fromm identify as the "abolition of external domination"?
4. In the description of Emily's self-discovery, what did she examine when sitting on her perch?
5. Why does an individual adapt to a new situation and habit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the biblical story of man's exodus from paradise relate to Fromm's ideas about choice and freedom?
2. How did capitalism change the individual's role in society?
3. How does Fromm uses freedom of speech to explain that when a freedom is gained, it is also restricted?
4. How was fascism viewed when it first came to power?
5. What are Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Kafka, and Green's points of view with regards to the individual?
6. What does Fromm say about man's value is determined by the capitalistic economy?
7. What was the economic system like during medieval times?
8. What new social class developed during the Renaissance and how did it affect their freedom?
9. How does an individual's learning further the process of individuation and how does this affect a child's relationship with his mother?
10. What are the differences between an individual's freedom between the medieval and modern societies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do religious, political, and social structures support and limit man's individuality and freedom? In your response, include the following information:
1). Religion during the Middle Ages to the Modern Age. Include text evidence about the Catholic Church, the Protestant Reformation and the beliefs of its leaders.
2). Fromm's thoughts about Fascism, Nazism, and democracy. Text examples should also include information about how these political ideologies influence an individual's freedom.
3). Theories about society and conformity.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in great detail Fromm's three "Mechanisms of Escape." Your essay should be divided into three sections:
1). Describe authoritarianism, the authoritarian character, why people submit to authoritarian leaders, and examples from history.
2). Explain Fromm's definition of destructiveness, what causes it, consequences for it, and historical examples.
3). Evaluate the effects of automaton conformity on society and the individual man.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Fromm's definition of freedom. In your answer, be sure to address the following:
1). What does man gain in his attempt from individual freedom?
2). What consequences exists for man and society when attaining freedom?
3) What cultural and social roadblocks does man face in this process?
This section contains 1,413 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)