|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanied Robinson Crusoe on his adventures?
2. What example does Fromm use to point out a contradiction of freedom?
3. Which of the following was NOT a restriction during the Middle Ages?
4. What forces does an individual need freedom from in order to be a free individual?
5. What is man's "biological weakness"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Fromm's thoughts about the choices an individual faces?
2. What is the difference between static and dynamic adaptation?
3. What does Fromm say about man's value is determined by the capitalistic economy?
4. What is the significance of World War I when talking about freedom?
5. What is the significance of the department store reference that Fromm makes in the chapter, "The Two Aspects of Freedom and Modern Man"?
6. How did the economic changes of the Renaissance impact the social order in society?
7. What were John Calvin's ideas about religion, and how were they similar and different to Luther's ideologies?
8. How did capitalism pave the way for greater freedom for man?
9. What was the economic system like during medieval times?
10. What are Fromm's ideas about work, the economy, and society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how an individual's freedom has changed over time. Begin with Fromm's discussion of freedom during the Middle Ages and continue with the changes freedom saw during the Renaissance. Analyze the level of freedom man has during times of conformity, like during Hitler's Nazi regime, and how freedoms are restored in a democratic society.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the freedoms individuals possessed under the Catholic Church and those under Protestantism. In your response, be sure to answer the following questions:
1). Which religion provided greater freedom for the individual, and how did it provide that freedom?
2). How were other organized structures like politics and economics affected by each religion?
3). How did each religion appeal to the different social classes?
4). How did social class affect one's freedom?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the middle class in Fromm's book. Why was the middle class so significant in the Protestant Reformation? How was this role different than in the Catholic Church? How did the middle class emerge under capitalism? What consequences did this bring for society? How did Hitler manipulate the middle class? Would Hitler and Nazism have had a different effect without the support of the middle class? What other examples in history used the weight of the middle class?
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)