|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What economic related problem led to feelings of individual powerlessness?
2. What church dominated religion during the Middle Ages?
3. What goal does Fromm identify as the "abolition of external domination"?
4. What relationship connects oneself to the world without compromising individuality?
5. What time period did the process of individuation reach its peak?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Kafka, and Green's points of view with regards to the individual?
2. How did capitalism change the individual's role in society?
3. How do Fromm and Luther differ in the definition of selfishness?
4. What are Fromm's thoughts about the battles for freedom in the chapter "Freedom-A Psychological Problem"?
5. What are the three falsehoods about authoritarianism?
6. What was the economic system like during medieval times?
7. What is the difference between static and dynamic adaptation?
8. What are Freud's thoughts on man and society?
9. What were John Calvin's ideas about religion, and how were they similar and different to Luther's ideologies?
10. What does Fromm say about man's value is determined by the capitalistic economy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Fromm's argument that the Nazi party came to power due to sadomasochistic tendencies. In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain why Hitler was a sadomasochistic leader.
2). Define the roles of submission and dominance in the power of Nazism.
3). Explain what group of people submitted fully to Hitler, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Erich Fromm title his book "Escape from Freedom"? What evidence supports this title? Identify another possible title for this book. Using evidence from throughout Fromm's book, explain why this would be an appropriate title. Which title do you prefer, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Fromm's definition of freedom. In your answer, be sure to address the following:
1). What does man gain in his attempt from individual freedom?
2). What consequences exists for man and society when attaining freedom?
3) What cultural and social roadblocks does man face in this process?
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)