|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Fromm NOT mention when discussing the definition of freedom?
2. Who accompanied Robinson Crusoe on his adventures?
3. What does Fromm call the political freedoms associated with capitalism?
4. What war do many consider to be ultimate victory for freedom, according to Fromm?
5. What political tool was used to influence an individual who was voting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was fascism viewed when it first came to power?
2. What is the significance of the department store reference that Fromm makes in the chapter, "The Two Aspects of Freedom and Modern Man"?
3. What were John Calvin's ideas about religion, and how were they similar and different to Luther's ideologies?
4. How did capitalism change the individual's role in society?
5. How does Fromm uses freedom of speech to explain that when a freedom is gained, it is also restricted?
6. What is the difference between static and dynamic adaptation?
7. What are Freud's thoughts on man and society?
8. What are Fromm's thoughts about the battles for freedom in the chapter "Freedom-A Psychological Problem"?
9. What new social class developed during the Renaissance and how did it affect their freedom?
10. What impact did cultural events from the Middle Ages through the modern era have on Fromm's meaning of freedom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship Hitler had with the lower, middle class of Germany. In your essay, be sure to answer the following questions:
1). How was this relationship mutually beneficial to both Hitler and the lower, middle class citizens?
2). How was Hitler able to secure the support from this social class?
3). Did the lower, middle class remain loyal to Hitler and vice versa?
4). What role did the economic troubles of the lower, middle class play in their relationship with Hitler?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Fromm's argument that the Nazi party came to power due to sadomasochistic tendencies. In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain why Hitler was a sadomasochistic leader.
2). Define the roles of submission and dominance in the power of Nazism.
3). Explain what group of people submitted fully to Hitler, and why.
Essay Topic 3
How do religious, political, and social structures support and limit man's individuality and freedom? In your response, include the following information:
1). Religion during the Middle Ages to the Modern Age. Include text evidence about the Catholic Church, the Protestant Reformation and the beliefs of its leaders.
2). Fromm's thoughts about Fascism, Nazism, and democracy. Text examples should also include information about how these political ideologies influence an individual's freedom.
3). Theories about society and conformity.
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)