|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factor most affected a person's change of identify during the Middle Ages?
2. What cultural time period was Europe moving toward, following the Middle Ages?
3. What drives man's struggle for self-promotion?
4. Where did the Renaissance begin?
5. What does Fromm say increases a child's emotional state?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does social character affect different groups?
2. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
3. How does an individual's learning further the process of individuation and how does this affect a child's relationship with his mother?
4. How did capitalism pave the way for greater freedom for man?
5. What are Fromm's thoughts about the battles for freedom in the chapter "Freedom-A Psychological Problem"?
6. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
7. What is authority, as defined in the chapter "Mechanisms of Escape"?
8. How does Fromm feel about man gaining freedom but losing personal security?
9. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
10. How did Lutheranism challenge the Catholic Church?
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate Fromm's thoughts on the causes of isolation and fear. In your essay, be sure to explain the following:
1). What economic, political, and social systems create alienation and fear?
2). How does man cope with these feelings?
3). What are some of the positive and negative consequences for society when man feels frightened and alone?
4). What are some of the positive and negative consequences for man when he feels isolated and scared?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Fromm's argument that the Nazi party came to power due to sadomasochistic tendencies. In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain why Hitler was a sadomasochistic leader.
2). Define the roles of submission and dominance in the power of Nazism.
3). Explain what group of people submitted fully to Hitler, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Fromm use Nazism to discuss authoritarianism and automaton conformity? How does the ideology of Nazism connect with Fromm's ideas on individuality and freedom? What other authoritarian political ideology possesses similar authoritarian and conformity tendencies?
This section contains 2,504 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)