|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What economic related problem led to feelings of individual powerlessness?
2. Why was medieval man in bondage?
3. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
4. What political ideology did John Dewey discuss?
5. What religions attracted the middle class during the Renaissance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the differences between an individual's freedom between the medieval and modern societies?
2. What are the three falsehoods about authoritarianism?
3. What are Fromm's thoughts about the choices an individual faces?
4. How did Lutheranism challenge the Catholic Church?
5. What are Fromm's ideas about work, the economy, and society?
6. What is the significance of the department store reference that Fromm makes in the chapter, "The Two Aspects of Freedom and Modern Man"?
7. What is the significance of World War I when talking about freedom?
8. How do Fromm and Luther differ in the definition of selfishness?
9. How does capitalism affect an individual's freedom, and what are Fromm's criticisms of capitalism?
10. What are Fromm's thoughts about the battles for freedom in the chapter "Freedom-A Psychological Problem"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the middle class in Fromm's book. Why was the middle class so significant in the Protestant Reformation? How was this role different than in the Catholic Church? How did the middle class emerge under capitalism? What consequences did this bring for society? How did Hitler manipulate the middle class? Would Hitler and Nazism have had a different effect without the support of the middle class? What other examples in history used the weight of the middle class?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Erich Fromm title his book "Escape from Freedom"? What evidence supports this title? Identify another possible title for this book. Using evidence from throughout Fromm's book, explain why this would be an appropriate title. Which title do you prefer, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Define the political, social and economic impact capitalism had on individual freedom. In your answer, address the following historical events:
1). The Protestant Reformation-How did this religious movement bring about economic change and increased social class freedom?
2). The Renaissance-How was this movement characterized by capitalism? What impact did it have on society and the individual?
3). Post World War I Germany-how did the economic situation of inflation and depression change the political an social climate in pre-Nazi Germany?
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)