|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political ideology did John Dewey discuss?
2. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
3. According to Fromm's animal kingdom analogy, why is man so helpless at birth?
4. Who accompanied Robinson Crusoe on his adventures?
5. What violent acts between countries added to feelings of powerlessness and anxiety during the nineteenth century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were John Calvin's ideas about religion, and how were they similar and different to Luther's ideologies?
2. How does the biblical story of man's exodus from paradise relate to Fromm's ideas about choice and freedom?
3. What is social character?
4. What are the consequences for the individual and society when pressure to conform exists?
5. What are Fromm's ideas about work, the economy, and society?
6. How did the Protestant Reformation affect individual freedom?
7. How does Fromm uses freedom of speech to explain that when a freedom is gained, it is also restricted?
8. What traits of an authoritarian character did Hitler possess?
9. How did capitalism pave the way for greater freedom for man?
10. How does Fromm describe sadistic people?
Essay Topic 1
How do religious, political, and social structures support and limit man's individuality and freedom? In your response, include the following information:
1). Religion during the Middle Ages to the Modern Age. Include text evidence about the Catholic Church, the Protestant Reformation and the beliefs of its leaders.
2). Fromm's thoughts about Fascism, Nazism, and democracy. Text examples should also include information about how these political ideologies influence an individual's freedom.
3). Theories about society and conformity.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Fromm use Nazism to discuss authoritarianism and automaton conformity? How does the ideology of Nazism connect with Fromm's ideas on individuality and freedom? What other authoritarian political ideology possesses similar authoritarian and conformity tendencies?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Erich Fromm title his book "Escape from Freedom"? What evidence supports this title? Identify another possible title for this book. Using evidence from throughout Fromm's book, explain why this would be an appropriate title. Which title do you prefer, and why?
This section contains 2,515 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)