|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the social order provide individuals during the Middle Ages?
2. Which of the following did man NOT have to face while living in Eden?
3. Which of the following does Fromm NOT mention when discussing the definition of freedom?
4. Why was medieval man in bondage?
5. What independent business does Fromm reference as a model for the new middle class?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the history of the child relates to Fromm's ideas about freedom?
2. What are Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Kafka, and Green's points of view with regards to the individual?
3. What is social character?
4. How does Fromm describe masochistic people?
5. What is the social function of education?
6. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
7. What impact did cultural events from the Middle Ages through the modern era have on Fromm's meaning of freedom?
8. How does Fromm describe sadistic people?
9. What is automaton conformity?
10. What are the three falsehoods about authoritarianism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the political, social and economic impact capitalism had on individual freedom. In your answer, address the following historical events:
1). The Protestant Reformation-How did this religious movement bring about economic change and increased social class freedom?
2). The Renaissance-How was this movement characterized by capitalism? What impact did it have on society and the individual?
3). Post World War I Germany-how did the economic situation of inflation and depression change the political an social climate in pre-Nazi Germany?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Hitler's authoritarian style of leadership to that of a democratic leader like President Obama. In your response, address the following points:
1). How are these leadership styles different?
2). What would Fromm state as to the reason for these differences?
3). Are there any similarities between Hitler's leadership style and Hitler's? If so, what are those similarities and if not, why aren't there any similarities?
4). Use Fromm's thoughts on freedom and democracy as well as the psychology of Nazism to support your evidence and inferences.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Erich Fromm title his book "Escape from Freedom"? What evidence supports this title? Identify another possible title for this book. Using evidence from throughout Fromm's book, explain why this would be an appropriate title. Which title do you prefer, and why?
This section contains 2,549 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)