|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contradiction of freedom does Fromm discuss in his book?
2. What new economic system grew out of the Reformation?
3. Which great thinker does Fromm NOT credit in his book?
4. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
5. Why were individuals able to enjoy some expressive and emotional freedom during medieval times?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does an individual's learning further the process of individuation and how does this affect a child's relationship with his mother?
2. How did Luther's teachings support capitalism?
3. How did the Protestant Reformation affect individual freedom?
4. What is the difference between static and dynamic adaptation?
5. What are Fromm's thoughts about the choices an individual faces?
6. What impact did cultural events from the Middle Ages through the modern era have on Fromm's meaning of freedom?
7. How are Fromm's ideas about the individual and society different from Freud's analysis?
8. How did the economic changes of the Renaissance impact the social order in society?
9. What are the differences between an individual's freedom between the medieval and modern societies?
10. How does the biblical story of man's exodus from paradise relate to Fromm's ideas about choice and freedom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in great detail Fromm's three "Mechanisms of Escape." Your essay should be divided into three sections:
1). Describe authoritarianism, the authoritarian character, why people submit to authoritarian leaders, and examples from history.
2). Explain Fromm's definition of destructiveness, what causes it, consequences for it, and historical examples.
3). Evaluate the effects of automaton conformity on society and the individual man.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Fromm's argument that the Nazi party came to power due to sadomasochistic tendencies. In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain why Hitler was a sadomasochistic leader.
2). Define the roles of submission and dominance in the power of Nazism.
3). Explain what group of people submitted fully to Hitler, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Define the political, social and economic impact capitalism had on individual freedom. In your answer, address the following historical events:
1). The Protestant Reformation-How did this religious movement bring about economic change and increased social class freedom?
2). The Renaissance-How was this movement characterized by capitalism? What impact did it have on society and the individual?
3). Post World War I Germany-how did the economic situation of inflation and depression change the political an social climate in pre-Nazi Germany?
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)