|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What outlined most new freedoms of the Reformation?
2. What goal does Fromm identify as the "abolition of external domination"?
3. Which of the following is NOT a way in which a child grows during the individuation process?
4. What independent business does Fromm reference as a model for the new middle class?
5. What psychological behavior was the main theme of Hitler's ideology?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Luther's teachings support capitalism?
2. What does Fromm say about man's value is determined by the capitalistic economy?
3. How did capitalism change the individual's role in society?
4. What are Fromm's thoughts about the choices an individual faces?
5. How does capitalism affect an individual's freedom, and what are Fromm's criticisms of capitalism?
6. How does Fromm uses freedom of speech to explain that when a freedom is gained, it is also restricted?
7. What are Fromm's thoughts about the battles for freedom in the chapter "Freedom-A Psychological Problem"?
8. What are Freud's thoughts on man and society?
9. What is the difference between static and dynamic adaptation?
10. How does the biblical story of man's exodus from paradise relate to Fromm's ideas about choice and freedom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how an individual's freedom has changed over time. Begin with Fromm's discussion of freedom during the Middle Ages and continue with the changes freedom saw during the Renaissance. Analyze the level of freedom man has during times of conformity, like during Hitler's Nazi regime, and how freedoms are restored in a democratic society.
Essay Topic 2
Define the political, social and economic impact capitalism had on individual freedom. In your answer, address the following historical events:
1). The Protestant Reformation-How did this religious movement bring about economic change and increased social class freedom?
2). The Renaissance-How was this movement characterized by capitalism? What impact did it have on society and the individual?
3). Post World War I Germany-how did the economic situation of inflation and depression change the political an social climate in pre-Nazi Germany?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Fromm's argument that the Nazi party came to power due to sadomasochistic tendencies. In your response, address the following points:
1). Explain why Hitler was a sadomasochistic leader.
2). Define the roles of submission and dominance in the power of Nazism.
3). Explain what group of people submitted fully to Hitler, and why.
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)