|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What academic, who Fromm disagrees with, also wrote about the social interpretation of the human development?
2. Why did the Nazi regime appear to be stable?
(a) Hitler was no longer in power.
(b) The citizens were in revolt.
(c) The population had trouble being submissive.
(d) The population seemed to have its needs met.
3. What approach to history views the economic interests as the cause of religion and political ideas?
4. What is the term Fromm uses to describe an individual act that does not compromise one's integrity?
(a) Positive acts.
(b) Positive individuality.
(c) Positive freedom.
(d) Negative freedom.
5. What psychological idea is destructiveness related to?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do masochistic people seek?
2. What feelings increase when automatic behaviors, like conformity, exist?
3. What political and economic beliefs does Fromm wish to reconnect man with?
4. What is automaton conformity?
5. How did Fromm separate the two groups of German people who supported the Nazis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What traits of an authoritarian character did Hitler possess?
2. How is an individual's character structure affected by economic and political changes?
3. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
4. What are the similarities and differences between sadism and destructiveness?
5. According to Fromm, why are "normal" people willing to conform to the ideas of an authoritarian character?
6. What two choices does a person have when confronted by isolation and fear in achieving freedom?
7. How does a democratic society put pressure on individuals to conform?
8. What is the social function of education?
9. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
10. What is automaton conformity?
This section contains 1,346 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)