|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the term Fromm uses to describe an individual act that does not compromise one's integrity?
(a) Positive acts.
(b) Positive freedom.
(c) Negative freedom.
(d) Positive individuality.
2. What assumptions about man are made that lead people to fear chaos if he acts only in accordance with himself?
(a) People assume man will make the best decisions, all the time.
(b) People assume man is bad and will act destructively.
(c) People assume man will follow others.
(d) People assume man needs more freedom.
3. What weaknesses do sadists and masochists compensate for?
(a) Lack of money.
(b) Isolation and fear.
4. According to Fromm, who must the economy be a servant to?
(a) The wealthy politicans.
(b) The economy should not serve anyone.
5. What does Fromm believe to be the main driving force in history?
(a) Economic difference.
(b) Economic similarities.
(c) Economic equality.
(d) Economic indifference.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a mutually beneficial relationship called?
2. What do masochistic people seek?
3. Why is it possible for people to conform without their knowledge?
4. Why does Fromm suggest analyzing psychological mechanisms in individuals?
5. What does Fromm cite as the psychological reason for Hitler and his followers' desire for sadomasochism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
2. According to Fromm, why are "normal" people willing to conform to the ideas of an authoritarian character?
3. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
4. What role does character play in the individual and society?
5. How does Fromm describe masochistic people?
6. What are the similarities and differences between sadism and destructiveness?
7. How does formal education limit a child's freedom?
8. What characteristics describe the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
9. What is the social function of education?
10. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
This section contains 1,287 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)