|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What circumstances directly affected a person's willingness to submit to an authoritarian like Hitler?
(a) Isolation from society.
(b) Their economic situation.
2. What world event left Germany in financial ruin and ultimately fostered support for Hitler among the lower, middle class Germans?
(a) The French Revolution.
(b) World War II.
(c) Germany's civil war.
(d) World War I.
3. What is the term Fromm uses to describe an individual act that does not compromise one's integrity?
(a) Positive acts.
(b) Negative freedom.
(c) Positive freedom.
(d) Positive individuality.
4. What has a key role in human development?
(a) Family forces.
(b) Individual forces.
(c) Social forces.
(d) Religious forces.
5. What kind of acts are "phenomena of abundance"?
(a) Malicious acts.
(b) Free or spontaneous acts.
(c) Calculated acts.
(d) Acts of individuality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is automaton conformity?
2. What weaknesses do sadists and masochists compensate for?
3. What political belief aligns with Fromm's definition of freedom?
4. How did Hitler feel about Germany?
5. Who wrote the book "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the family have in developing the character structure of an individual?
2. What two choices does a person have when confronted by isolation and fear in achieving freedom?
3. What is the relationship between sadism and masochism? How does the relationship affect authoritarian characters?
4. What qualities did Hitler and Nazism possess that appealed to a large population of Germans?
5. According to Fromm, why are "normal" people willing to conform to the ideas of an authoritarian character?
6. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
7. How does Fromm describe masochistic people?
8. What are the consequences for the individual and society when pressure to conform exists?
9. How does social character affect different groups?
10. What role does character play in the individual and society?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)