|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What weaknesses do sadists and masochists compensate for?
(c) Isolation and fear.
(d) Lack of money.
2. What assumptions about man are made that lead people to fear chaos if he acts only in accordance with himself?
(a) People assume man will follow others.
(b) People assume man needs more freedom.
(c) People assume man will make the best decisions, all the time.
(d) People assume man is bad and will act destructively.
3. Who does the individual submit to when conforming?
(a) A powerful leader.
(b) He does not submit.
4. What was the ultimate goal of the Nazi party?
(a) Gain power.
(b) Give up power.
(c) Gain freedom.
(d) Strengthen German society for everyone.
5. What does Fromm cite as the psychological reason for Hitler and his followers' desire for sadomasochism?
(a) Man's desire for power.
(b) Society's need for submission.
(c) Increased social freedom.
(d) The isolation of man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political ideology is reinforced by an authoritarian character?
2. What is the social function of education?
3. What is one false theory about why the Nazis came to power?
4. What world event left Germany in financial ruin and ultimately fostered support for Hitler among the lower, middle class Germans?
5. What historian believed that religion drives the social process?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the social function of education?
2. What are the similarities and differences between sadism and destructiveness?
3. What two false theories does Fromm discount that accounted for the rise of Nazism?
4. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
5. What was life like for the lower, middle class following World War I? How did these conditions impact impacted their submission to Nazism?
6. What characteristics describe the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
7. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
8. How does formal education limit a child's freedom?
9. How does a democratic society put pressure on individuals to conform?
10. What is spontaneous action and original thought?
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)