|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the first group of Germans who supported Hitler submit to the power of the Nazis?
(a) They wanted more freedom.
(b) Power and greed.
(c) Fear and isolation.
(d) Resignation and tiredness.
2. What dual desires did Nazi ideology appeal to?
(a) Wealth and knowledge.
(b) Power and dominance.
(c) Dominance and submission.
(d) Submission and power.
3. What is "original" thought?
(a) A thought someone has that they think is their own.
(b) Thoughts that orginate in the individual.
(c) Thoughts that originate from another person.
(d) A thought that someone wants you to believe.
4. According to Fromm, why does sadism appear natural?
(a) It emphasizes the survival of the fittest over nature and man.
(b) It is how animals survive.
(c) It emphasizes the survival of nature over man.
(d) It is not natural.
5. What did Freud believe to be the driving force behind human action?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the social character influence?
2. Which view of human culture takes into account how religious ideas develop economic behavior?
3. What is the original self?
4. What feelings increase when automatic behaviors, like conformity, exist?
5. How does Fromm categorize the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the consequences for the individual and society when pressure to conform exists?
2. What characteristics describe the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
3. What traits of an authoritarian character did Hitler possess?
4. How does Fromm describe sadistic people?
5. How does formal education limit a child's freedom?
6. What were the economic, social, and political conditions like in Germany prior to Hitler's rise to power?
7. What is authority, as defined in the chapter "Mechanisms of Escape"?
8. What two false theories does Fromm discount that accounted for the rise of Nazism?
9. What is the relationship between sadism and masochism? How does the relationship affect authoritarian characters?
10. What characteristics describe the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
This section contains 1,336 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)