|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does an individual conform to society?
(a) To escape freedoms and individuality.
(b) To escape feelings of conformity.
(c) To escape feelings of isolaton and fear.
(d) To escape a dictator.
2. What is the term Fromm uses to describe an individual act that does not compromise one's integrity?
(a) Positive acts.
(b) Negative freedom.
(c) Positive individuality.
(d) Positive freedom.
3. What dual desires did Nazi ideology appeal to?
(a) Wealth and knowledge.
(b) Dominance and submission.
(c) Power and dominance.
(d) Submission and power.
4. According to Fromm, why does sadism appear natural?
(a) It is how animals survive.
(b) It emphasizes the survival of the fittest over nature and man.
(c) It is not natural.
(d) It emphasizes the survival of nature over man.
5. How did Fromm separate the two groups of German people who supported the Nazis?
(a) Fromm based his thoughts on how people viewed each other.
(b) Fromm based his theory on the people's reactions to the Nazis.
(c) He based his theory on the people's reactions to the Jewish community.
(d) He based his ideas on how people viewed themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of acts are "phenomena of abundance"?
2. What do masochistic people seek?
3. What is "Mein Kampf"?
4. Why did the Nazi regime appear to be stable?
5. What approach to history views the economic interests as the cause of religion and political ideas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the economic, social, and political conditions like in Germany prior to Hitler's rise to power?
2. What are the consequences for the individual and society when pressure to conform exists?
3. How is an individual's character structure affected by economic and political changes?
4. What is spontaneous action and original thought?
5. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
6. What traits of an authoritarian character did Hitler possess?
7. What is automaton conformity?
8. What are the similarities and differences between sadism and destructiveness?
9. What qualities did Hitler and Nazism possess that appealed to a large population of Germans?
10. What role does the family have in developing the character structure of an individual?
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)