|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the chapter "Freedom and Democracy," how does a person develop individuality?
(a) Making the self the center of society.
(b) Excluding the self from being the center of one's world.
(c) Making the self the center of one's world.
(d) Making the self and others the center of one's world.
2. What does Fromm believe to be the main driving force in history?
(a) Economic equality.
(b) Economic similarities.
(c) Economic difference.
(d) Economic indifference.
3. What weaknesses do sadists and masochists compensate for?
(b) Lack of money.
(c) Isolation and fear.
4. What German social class both submitted to Hitler and fully adopted his Nazi ideology?
(b) Upper, middle class.
(c) Upper class.
(d) Lower, middle class.
5. What do sadists seek?
(a) They seek to dominate others.
(b) They avoid dominance.
(c) They seek to be dominated.
(d) They seek submission.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "pseudo-thinking"?
2. What is Fromm's theory about Hitler and the success of the Nazi party?
3. What political and economic beliefs does Fromm wish to reconnect man with?
4. What was the ultimate goal of the Nazi party?
5. Why did the Nazi regime appear to be stable?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is an individual's character structure affected by economic and political changes?
2. What was life like for the lower, middle class following World War I? How did these conditions impact impacted their submission to Nazism?
3. How does Fromm describe masochistic people?
4. What were the economic, social, and political conditions like in Germany prior to Hitler's rise to power?
5. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
6. How does a democratic society put pressure on individuals to conform?
7. According to Fromm, why are "normal" people willing to conform to the ideas of an authoritarian character?
8. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
9. How does Fromm describe sadistic people?
10. What qualities did Hitler and Nazism possess that appealed to a large population of Germans?
This section contains 1,402 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)