|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What examples does Fromm cite in the chapter "Freedom and Democracy" of how a democratic society limits individuals?
(a) Employment and child-rearing.
(b) Education and child-rearing.
(c) Laws and social norms.
(d) Education and employment.
2. Who wrote the book "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism"?
(a) Max Weber.
(b) Karl Marx.
(c) John Calvin.
(d) Martin Luther.
3. What does the development of individual and social characters lead to?
(a) Less freedom for the individual.
(b) The development of historical events.
(c) More freedom for the individual.
(d) The collapse of society.
4. When he first came to power, which social class did Hitler favor?
(b) Middle class.
(c) Upper class.
(d) Lower class.
5. How did Fromm separate the two groups of German people who supported the Nazis?
(a) Fromm based his thoughts on how people viewed each other.
(b) He based his theory on the people's reactions to the Jewish community.
(c) Fromm based his theory on the people's reactions to the Nazis.
(d) He based his ideas on how people viewed themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the first group of Germans who supported Hitler submit to the power of the Nazis?
2. What weaknesses do sadists and masochists compensate for?
3. What happens when the political restraints that an individual has come to rely on are removed?
4. What forces in a capitalistic society isolate people?
5. What German class of people was most likely to submit to Nazism?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)