|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What political ideology is reinforced by an authoritarian character?
2. In the chapter "Freedom and Democracy," how does a person develop individuality?
(a) Excluding the self from being the center of one's world.
(b) Making the self and others the center of one's world.
(c) Making the self the center of society.
(d) Making the self the center of one's world.
3. How did Fromm separate the two groups of German people who supported the Nazis?
(a) Fromm based his thoughts on how people viewed each other.
(b) He based his theory on the people's reactions to the Jewish community.
(c) Fromm based his theory on the people's reactions to the Nazis.
(d) He based his ideas on how people viewed themselves.
4. What do masochists receive from their submissive acts?
5. What kind of acts are "phenomena of abundance"?
(a) Acts of individuality.
(b) Malicious acts.
(c) Calculated acts.
(d) Free or spontaneous acts.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Fromm, why does sadism appear natural?
2. Why did the second group of Germans who both supported the Nazis and adopt their ideas submit to Hitler?
3. Who wrote the book "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism"?
4. What is an authoritarian character?
5. What happened to Germany's economic stability following World War I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is social character?
2. How does a democratic society put pressure on individuals to conform?
3. What role does the family have in developing the character structure of an individual?
4. How is an individual's character structure affected by economic and political changes?
5. What is the relationship between sadism and masochism? How does the relationship affect authoritarian characters?
6. What characteristics describe the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
7. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
8. How does Fromm describe masochistic people?
9. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
10. What is spontaneous action and original thought?
This section contains 1,378 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)