|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What approach to history views the economic interests as the cause of religion and political ideas?
2. Who wrote the book "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism"?
(a) Max Weber.
(b) John Calvin.
(c) Karl Marx.
(d) Martin Luther.
3. What historian believed that religion drives the social process?
4. What psychological approach does Fromm use to study history?
(b) Multiple Perspectives.
5. What practice does Fromm cite evidence that an individual's thoughts could be suggested by someone else?
(a) Electroshock therapy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT a characteristic of the old, middle class that Fromm identifies?
2. Why does Fromm suggest analyzing psychological mechanisms in individuals?
3. What assumptions about man are made that lead people to fear chaos if he acts only in accordance with himself?
4. What is "spontaneous" action?
5. What did Freud believe to be the driving force behind human action?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fromm describe masochistic people?
2. What two false theories does Fromm discount that accounted for the rise of Nazism?
3. What is social character?
4. What was life like for the lower, middle class following World War I? How did these conditions impact impacted their submission to Nazism?
5. What characteristics describe the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
6. How does the loss of identify affect an individual's willingness to conform, and what are the consequences for it?
7. What were the economic, social, and political conditions like in Germany prior to Hitler's rise to power?
8. How does formal education limit a child's freedom?
9. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
10. What is spontaneous action and original thought?
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)