|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Fromm's critics fear will happen to society during the process of individuality?
2. What do sadists seek?
(a) They avoid dominance.
(b) They seek submission.
(c) They seek to dominate others.
(d) They seek to be dominated.
3. What does the development of individual and social characters lead to?
(a) Less freedom for the individual.
(b) The development of historical events.
(c) The collapse of society.
(d) More freedom for the individual.
4. What political ideology is a historical example of authoritarian mechanism?
5. What circumstances directly affected a person's willingness to submit to an authoritarian like Hitler?
(a) Isolation from society.
(b) Their economic situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Fromm give to the isolation that allows Fascism to grow?
2. What political and economic beliefs does Fromm wish to reconnect man with?
3. What has a key role in human development?
4. What is the original self?
5. What is NOT a characteristic of the old, middle class that Fromm identifies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Nazism so appealing to the lower middle class of Germans?
2. What characteristics describe the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
3. How does formal education limit a child's freedom?
4. What two choices does a person have when confronted by isolation and fear in achieving freedom?
5. What is true freedom and what do Fromm's critics fear it can lead to?
6. What is the relationship between sadism and masochism? How does the relationship affect authoritarian characters?
7. How is an individual's character structure affected by economic and political changes?
8. What was life like for the lower, middle class following World War I? How did these conditions impact impacted their submission to Nazism?
9. What is the social function of education?
10. What were the economic, social, and political conditions like in Germany prior to Hitler's rise to power?
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)