|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What world event left Germany in financial ruin and ultimately fostered support for Hitler among the lower, middle class Germans?
(a) World War II.
(b) World War I.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) Germany's civil war.
2. What type of character was familiar to the lower, middle class?
3. Who replaces the original self?
(a) The conforming self.
(b) The pseudo self.
(c) The social self.
(d) The actual self.
4. What is society's character based on?
(a) It cannot be based on the analysis of the individual.
(b) It can be based on the analysis of the individual.
(c) Analyzing society is a waste of time.
(d) Analyzing the individual is a water of time.
5. What political and economic beliefs does Fromm wish to reconnect man with?
(a) Communism and a socialist economy.
(b) Marxism and a capitalistic economy.
(c) Fascism and a market driven economy.
(d) Democratic principles and a planned economy.
6. What name does Fromm give to the isolation that allows Fascism to grow?
(b) Fertile soil.
7. What assumptions about man are made that lead people to fear chaos if he acts only in accordance with himself?
(a) People assume man will make the best decisions, all the time.
(b) People assume man will follow others.
(c) People assume man needs more freedom.
(d) People assume man is bad and will act destructively.
8. Who does the individual submit to when conforming?
(b) He does not submit.
(c) A powerful leader.
9. What German class of people was most likely to submit to Nazism?
(a) Lower, middle classes.
(b) Working class.
(c) Upper class.
10. What examples does Fromm cite in the chapter "Freedom and Democracy" of how a democratic society limits individuals?
(a) Education and child-rearing.
(b) Laws and social norms.
(c) Education and employment.
(d) Employment and child-rearing.
11. Whose theory about economic gains driving history have many historians misunderstood?
12. What is automaton conformity?
(a) The practice of conforming to a hero.
(b) Conforming only to one's self.
(c) The practice of ignoring society.
(d) The practice of individuals becoming like everyone else.
13. What academic, who Fromm disagrees with, also wrote about the social interpretation of the human development?
14. Why does an individual conform to society?
(a) To escape a dictator.
(b) To escape freedoms and individuality.
(c) To escape feelings of isolaton and fear.
(d) To escape feelings of conformity.
15. What political belief aligns with Fromm's definition of freedom?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of acts are "phenomena of abundance"?
2. What forces in a capitalistic society isolate people?
3. Why did the Nazi regime appear to be stable?
4. What does Fromm believe to be the main driving force in history?
5. How does Fromm categorize the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)