|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he first came to power, which social class did Hitler favor?
(a) Middle class.
(b) Upper class.
(d) Lower class.
2. What do sadists seek?
(a) They seek submission.
(b) They seek to be dominated.
(c) They avoid dominance.
(d) They seek to dominate others.
3. What did Hitler's sadistic nature lead him to desire?
(a) He wanted to be dominated.
(b) He sought power over others.
(c) He wished to help others.
(d) He wanted to dominate and be submissive.
4. What academic, who Fromm disagrees with, also wrote about the social interpretation of the human development?
5. What does Fromm cite as the psychological reason for Hitler and his followers' desire for sadomasochism?
(a) Society's need for submission.
(b) Increased social freedom.
(c) Man's desire for power.
(d) The isolation of man.
6. What social structure does Fromm suggest should be part of the psychological aspect of society?
7. In the chapter "Freedom and Democracy," how does a person develop individuality?
(a) Making the self and others the center of one's world.
(b) Making the self the center of one's world.
(c) Excluding the self from being the center of one's world.
(d) Making the self the center of society.
8. Why is it possible for people to conform without their knowledge?
(a) They do so subconsciously.
(b) It is not possible.
(c) People want to belong.
(d) People think their thoughts are their own, but they have come from another source.
9. What is "spontaneous" action?
(a) Actions that come from what a person feels and thinks.
(b) Actions that come from what others feel and think.
(c) Actions that come from what others do.
(d) Actions that come from what an individual used to do.
10. What psychological approach does Fromm use to study history?
(a) Multiple Perspectives.
11. What weaknesses do sadists and masochists compensate for?
(b) Lack of money.
(c) Isolation and fear.
12. What type of character was familiar to the lower, middle class?
13. Who wrote the book "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism"?
(a) John Calvin.
(b) Martin Luther.
(c) Max Weber.
(d) Karl Marx.
14. What historian believed that religion drives the social process?
15. What political and economic beliefs does Fromm wish to reconnect man with?
(a) Communism and a socialist economy.
(b) Fascism and a market driven economy.
(c) Marxism and a capitalistic economy.
(d) Democratic principles and a planned economy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prior to World War I, who was the lower, middle class obedient to?
2. What is an authoritarian character?
3. What is one false theory about why the Nazis came to power?
4. Why does an individual conform to society?
5. What political ideology is reinforced by an authoritarian character?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)