|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feelings increase when automatic behaviors, like conformity, exist?
(a) Fear and isolation.
(b) Power and greed.
(c) Love and honesty.
(d) Freedom and integrity.
2. What is NOT a characteristic of the old, middle class that Fromm identifies?
3. What does Fromm say even a democratic society can pressure individuals to do?
(b) Dominate others.
(c) Give up their money.
(d) Submit to others.
4. What is Fromm's theory about Hitler and the success of the Nazi party?
(a) Hitler wanted to unify people.
(b) Hitler was well-regarded in world politics.
(c) The German people adored Hitler.
(d) The explanation is as psychological as Hitler was neurotic.
5. How does Fromm categorize the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
(a) Those who fully adopted Nazism.
(b) Those who stood against Nazism.
(c) Those who were indifferent to Nazism.
(d) Those who disagreed with Nazism.
6. What approach to history views the economic interests as the cause of religion and political ideas?
7. What German social class supported Hitler but did not adopt his ideologies?
(a) Upper class and liberal.
(b) Middle class and moderate.
(c) Working class and liberal.
(d) Upper class and conservative.
8. Why does Fromm suggest analyzing psychological mechanisms in individuals?
(a) Fromm believes it will lead to more freedom.
(b) It helps understand society.
(c) It enables man to improve himself.
(d) He uses it to draw conclusions about the group(s) one belongs to.
9. What German class of people was most likely to submit to Nazism?
(a) Lower, middle classes.
(b) Upper class.
(c) Working class.
10. How did Fromm separate the two groups of German people who supported the Nazis?
(a) He based his theory on the people's reactions to the Jewish community.
(b) Fromm based his theory on the people's reactions to the Nazis.
(c) He based his ideas on how people viewed themselves.
(d) Fromm based his thoughts on how people viewed each other.
11. What word best describes the idea where man "strives for submission and domination"?
12. What was the ultimate goal of the Nazi party?
(a) Give up power.
(b) Gain power.
(c) Strengthen German society for everyone.
(d) Gain freedom.
13. What psychological approach does Fromm use to study history?
(d) Multiple Perspectives.
14. What happened to Germany's economic stability following World War I?
(a) Germany's economy was strengthened.
(b) Germany's economy was the strongest in its history.
(c) Germany's economy was weakened.
(d) Germany's economy remained unchanged.
15. What name does Fromm give to the isolation that allows Fascism to grow?
(d) Fertile soil.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hitler feel about Germany?
2. What kind of acts are "phenomena of abundance"?
3. Who wrote the book "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism"?
4. What examples does Fromm cite in the chapter "Freedom and Democracy" of how a democratic society limits individuals?
5. What world event left Germany in financial ruin and ultimately fostered support for Hitler among the lower, middle class Germans?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)