|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of acts are "phenomena of abundance"?
(a) Free or spontaneous acts.
(b) Acts of individuality.
(c) Malicious acts.
(d) Calculated acts.
2. What does Fromm say even a democratic society can pressure individuals to do?
(a) Dominate others.
(c) Give up their money.
(d) Submit to others.
3. What assumptions about man are made that lead people to fear chaos if he acts only in accordance with himself?
(a) People assume man needs more freedom.
(b) People assume man will make the best decisions, all the time.
(c) People assume man is bad and will act destructively.
(d) People assume man will follow others.
4. What are the consequences for democratic societies when conformity exists?
(a) Too much trust in the community and dominance over others.
(b) Dominance over others is encouraged and rewarded.
(c) Too little information is shared with society.
(d) Distrust of infomation and a willingness to believe what is told to you.
5. What do sadists seek?
(a) They seek to dominate others.
(b) They seek to be dominated.
(c) They seek submission.
(d) They avoid dominance.
6. What German social class supported Hitler but did not adopt his ideologies?
(a) Working class and liberal.
(b) Middle class and moderate.
(c) Upper class and conservative.
(d) Upper class and liberal.
7. What is "original" thought?
(a) A thought someone has that they think is their own.
(b) Thoughts that originate from another person.
(c) Thoughts that orginate in the individual.
(d) A thought that someone wants you to believe.
8. What world event left Germany in financial ruin and ultimately fostered support for Hitler among the lower, middle class Germans?
(a) World War II.
(b) World War I.
(c) Germany's civil war.
(d) The French Revolution.
9. What German social class both submitted to Hitler and fully adopted his Nazi ideology?
(a) Upper, middle class.
(b) Lower, middle class.
(c) Upper class.
10. What is democratic socialism?
(a) Economic restictions with a free government.
(b) A political and economic system with a central bureaucracy that is supported by the people.
(c) Fascism with economic liberalism.
(d) A political and economic system where the people vote for a dictator.
11. What academic, who Fromm disagrees with, also wrote about the social interpretation of the human development?
12. What has a key role in human development?
(a) Family forces.
(b) Individual forces.
(c) Social forces.
(d) Religious forces.
13. What is society's character based on?
(a) It cannot be based on the analysis of the individual.
(b) It can be based on the analysis of the individual.
(c) Analyzing society is a waste of time.
(d) Analyzing the individual is a water of time.
14. What political ideology is reinforced by an authoritarian character?
15. How did Hitler feel about Germany?
(a) He loved Germany.
(b) He disliked Germany.
(c) He did not want to see Germany succeed.
(d) He felt indifferently.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who must support the central bureaucracy in order for it to achieve its goal?
2. What German class of people was most likely to submit to Nazism?
3. What circumstances directly affected a person's willingness to submit to an authoritarian like Hitler?
4. What did Freud believe to be the driving force behind human action?
5. What forces in a capitalistic society isolate people?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)