|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Fromm categorize the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
(a) Those who submitted to the Nazis but did not accept their ideas.
(b) Those who did not submit to the Nazis.
(c) Those who both submitted to the Nazis and adopted their ideas.
(d) Germans who joined the Nazis.
2. What does Fromm believe to be the main driving force in history?
(a) Economic similarities.
(b) Economic difference.
(c) Economic indifference.
(d) Economic equality.
3. Who wrote the book "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism"?
(a) Max Weber.
(b) Martin Luther.
(c) Karl Marx.
(d) John Calvin.
4. What circumstances directly affected a person's willingness to submit to an authoritarian like Hitler?
(b) Isolation from society.
(c) Their economic situation.
5. What psychological approach does Fromm use to study history?
(c) Multiple Perspectives.
6. What does Fromm say even a democratic society can pressure individuals to do?
(a) Submit to others.
(b) Give up their money.
(d) Dominate others.
7. What do both societies and individuals possess that make them unique?
8. What is democratic socialism?
(a) Fascism with economic liberalism.
(b) A political and economic system where the people vote for a dictator.
(c) A political and economic system with a central bureaucracy that is supported by the people.
(d) Economic restictions with a free government.
9. How does Fromm categorize the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
(a) Those who were indifferent to Nazism.
(b) Those who disagreed with Nazism.
(c) Those who stood against Nazism.
(d) Those who fully adopted Nazism.
10. What does the social character influence?
(a) The democractic system.
(b) The individual's desire for freedom.
(c) The social progress.
(d) The economic process.
11. What is the term Fromm uses to describe an individual act that does not compromise one's integrity?
(a) Positive individuality.
(b) Positive acts.
(c) Positive freedom.
(d) Negative freedom.
12. What political belief aligns with Fromm's definition of freedom?
13. What happened to Germany's economic stability following World War I?
(a) Germany's economy was weakened.
(b) Germany's economy was the strongest in its history.
(c) Germany's economy was strengthened.
(d) Germany's economy remained unchanged.
14. What does Fromm argue that leads to man act destructively?
(a) Participation in a group causes man to act destructively.
(b) Capitalism causes man to act destructively.
(c) Freedom causes man to act destructively.
(d) Isolation and fear causes man to act destructively.
15. Why is it possible for people to conform without their knowledge?
(a) People want to belong.
(b) People think their thoughts are their own, but they have come from another source.
(c) It is not possible.
(d) They do so subconsciously.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the development of individual and social characters lead to?
2. Whose theory about economic gains driving history have many historians misunderstood?
3. What political ideology is a historical example of authoritarian mechanism?
4. How did Hitler feel about Germany?
5. What approach to history views the economic interests as the cause of religion and political ideas?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)