|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT a characteristic of the old, middle class that Fromm identifies?
2. Whose theory about economic gains driving history have many historians misunderstood?
3. What do masochists receive from their submissive acts?
4. Who wrote the book "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism"?
(a) Martin Luther.
(b) Karl Marx.
(c) John Calvin.
(d) Max Weber.
5. What forces in a capitalistic society isolate people?
(a) Religious forces.
(b) Economic forces.
(c) Social forces.
(d) Familial forces.
6. What does Fromm cite as the psychological reason for Hitler and his followers' desire for sadomasochism?
(a) The isolation of man.
(b) Increased social freedom.
(c) Society's need for submission.
(d) Man's desire for power.
7. What kind of acts are "phenomena of abundance"?
(a) Calculated acts.
(b) Acts of individuality.
(c) Malicious acts.
(d) Free or spontaneous acts.
8. What social structure does Fromm suggest should be part of the psychological aspect of society?
9. What historian believed that religion drives the social process?
10. What is "pseudo-thinking"?
(a) Pretending to act on a thought.
(b) Impulsive thoughts.
(c) Unconscious repitition of other's opinions as our own.
(d) Pretending to think.
11. What psychological idea is destructiveness related to?
12. What did Hitler's sadistic nature lead him to desire?
(a) He wanted to be dominated.
(b) He wanted to dominate and be submissive.
(c) He wished to help others.
(d) He sought power over others.
13. When he first came to power, which social class did Hitler favor?
(a) Lower class.
(b) Upper class.
(d) Middle class.
14. What practice does Fromm cite evidence that an individual's thoughts could be suggested by someone else?
(b) Electroshock therapy.
15. What is the social function of education?
(a) Prepare children to separate from society.
(b) Make children polite.
(c) Make children understand rules.
(d) Prepare the individual for the role he plays later in society.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Fromm give to the isolation that allows Fascism to grow?
2. What weaknesses do sadists and masochists compensate for?
3. Who replaces the original self?
4. What do sadists seek?
5. What dual desires did Nazi ideology appeal to?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)