|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Fromm, why does sadism appear natural?
(a) It emphasizes the survival of nature over man.
(b) It is not natural.
(c) It emphasizes the survival of the fittest over nature and man.
(d) It is how animals survive.
2. What dual desires did Nazi ideology appeal to?
(a) Wealth and knowledge.
(b) Power and dominance.
(c) Submission and power.
(d) Dominance and submission.
3. What is the social function of education?
(a) Prepare the individual for the role he plays later in society.
(b) Make children polite.
(c) Prepare children to separate from society.
(d) Make children understand rules.
4. What does Fromm believe to be the main driving force in history?
(a) Economic equality.
(b) Economic difference.
(c) Economic similarities.
(d) Economic indifference.
5. What political ideology is a historical example of authoritarian mechanism?
6. What German social class supported Hitler but did not adopt his ideologies?
(a) Middle class and moderate.
(b) Upper class and conservative.
(c) Upper class and liberal.
(d) Working class and liberal.
7. What world event left Germany in financial ruin and ultimately fostered support for Hitler among the lower, middle class Germans?
(a) World War II.
(b) Germany's civil war.
(c) World War I.
(d) The French Revolution.
8. What do masochistic people seek?
(a) They want to both submit and dominate.
(b) They want to dominate a stronger person.
(c) They want to submit to a stronger person.
(d) They want to dominate a weaker person.
9. What forces in a capitalistic society isolate people?
(a) Religious forces.
(b) Familial forces.
(c) Economic forces.
(d) Social forces.
10. What kind of acts are "phenomena of abundance"?
(a) Free or spontaneous acts.
(b) Calculated acts.
(c) Malicious acts.
(d) Acts of individuality.
11. What historian believed that religion drives the social process?
12. What does Fromm cite as the psychological reason for Hitler and his followers' desire for sadomasochism?
(a) Man's desire for power.
(b) Increased social freedom.
(c) Society's need for submission.
(d) The isolation of man.
13. Why does an individual conform to society?
(a) To escape feelings of isolaton and fear.
(b) To escape freedoms and individuality.
(c) To escape feelings of conformity.
(d) To escape a dictator.
14. What is an authoritarian character?
(a) A person who does not respect authority.
(b) A person who submits to authority but does not hold it over others.
(c) A person who seeks authority over others.
(d) A person who submits to authority and wants to exercise authority over others.
15. What did the lower, middle class of Nazi Germany do for a living?
(a) Government employees.
(b) Doctors, lawyers, and accountants.
(d) Shopkeepers, artisans, and white collar workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of character was familiar to the lower, middle class?
2. What is Fromm's theory about Hitler and the success of the Nazi party?
3. When he first came to power, which social class did Hitler favor?
4. What circumstances directly affected a person's willingness to submit to an authoritarian like Hitler?
5. How did Hitler feel about Germany?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)