|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the ultimate goal of the Nazi party?
(a) Gain power.
(b) Strengthen German society for everyone.
(c) Give up power.
(d) Gain freedom.
2. Who must support the central bureaucracy in order for it to achieve its goal?
(a) The upper class of a given society.
(b) Both the lower and upper classes.
(c) All the people in a given society.
(d) The middle class only.
3. What kind of acts are "phenomena of abundance"?
(a) Free or spontaneous acts.
(b) Calculated acts.
(c) Acts of individuality.
(d) Malicious acts.
4. What German social class both submitted to Hitler and fully adopted his Nazi ideology?
(a) Upper, middle class.
(b) Lower, middle class.
(d) Upper class.
5. What political belief aligns with Fromm's definition of freedom?
6. What do Fromm's critics fear will happen to society during the process of individuality?
7. What political and economic beliefs does Fromm wish to reconnect man with?
(a) Democratic principles and a planned economy.
(b) Marxism and a capitalistic economy.
(c) Communism and a socialist economy.
(d) Fascism and a market driven economy.
8. What weaknesses do sadists and masochists compensate for?
(c) Isolation and fear.
(d) Lack of money.
9. Why did the Nazi regime appear to be stable?
(a) Hitler was no longer in power.
(b) The population seemed to have its needs met.
(c) The citizens were in revolt.
(d) The population had trouble being submissive.
10. What feelings increase when automatic behaviors, like conformity, exist?
(a) Fear and isolation.
(b) Love and honesty.
(c) Power and greed.
(d) Freedom and integrity.
11. What political ideology is a historical example of authoritarian mechanism?
12. What does the social character influence?
(a) The economic process.
(b) The social progress.
(c) The individual's desire for freedom.
(d) The democractic system.
13. Who wrote the book "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism"?
(a) Max Weber.
(b) John Calvin.
(c) Martin Luther.
(d) Karl Marx.
14. What historian believed that religion drives the social process?
15. According to Fromm, who must the economy be a servant to?
(b) The economy should not serve anyone.
(d) The wealthy politicans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Fromm suggest analyzing psychological mechanisms in individuals?
2. What does Fromm believe to be the main driving force in history?
3. What forces in a capitalistic society isolate people?
4. What is the social function of education?
5. What does Fromm cite as the psychological reason for Hitler and his followers' desire for sadomasochism?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)