|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a mutually beneficial relationship called?
2. How does Fromm categorize the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
(a) Those who fully adopted Nazism.
(b) Those who disagreed with Nazism.
(c) Those who stood against Nazism.
(d) Those who were indifferent to Nazism.
3. In the chapter "Freedom and Democracy," how does a person develop individuality?
(a) Excluding the self from being the center of one's world.
(b) Making the self the center of society.
(c) Making the self the center of one's world.
(d) Making the self and others the center of one's world.
4. What happened to Germany's economic stability following World War I?
(a) Germany's economy was strengthened.
(b) Germany's economy remained unchanged.
(c) Germany's economy was the strongest in its history.
(d) Germany's economy was weakened.
5. How does Fromm categorize the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
(a) Those who did not submit to the Nazis.
(b) Those who both submitted to the Nazis and adopted their ideas.
(c) Those who submitted to the Nazis but did not accept their ideas.
(d) Germans who joined the Nazis.
6. What do masochistic people seek?
(a) They want to dominate a stronger person.
(b) They want to both submit and dominate.
(c) They want to submit to a stronger person.
(d) They want to dominate a weaker person.
7. What political belief aligns with Fromm's definition of freedom?
8. What is the original self?
(a) Self that thinks like society.
(b) Self that originates its own mental activities.
(c) Self that does not think.
(d) Self that thinks like the leader.
9. What forces in a capitalistic society isolate people?
(a) Familial forces.
(b) Religious forces.
(c) Social forces.
(d) Economic forces.
10. Who replaces the original self?
(a) The conforming self.
(b) The actual self.
(c) The pseudo self.
(d) The social self.
11. What weaknesses do sadists and masochists compensate for?
(a) Lack of money.
(c) Isolation and fear.
12. According to Freud's "psychologistic" approach to understanding human culture, what image inspired early Christianity?
(a) Love for the mother.
(b) Ambivalence toward society.
(c) Ambivalence toward the father.
(d) Ambivalence toward the mother.
13. What does the social character influence?
(a) The economic process.
(b) The democractic system.
(c) The individual's desire for freedom.
(d) The social progress.
14. Who does the individual submit to when conforming?
(b) He does not submit.
(c) A powerful leader.
15. What German social class both submitted to Hitler and fully adopted his Nazi ideology?
(a) Upper class.
(b) Upper, middle class.
(d) Lower, middle class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hitler's sadistic nature lead him to desire?
2. What does Fromm believe to be the main driving force in history?
3. What did Freud believe to be the driving force behind human action?
4. What historian believed that religion drives the social process?
5. How did Fromm separate the two groups of German people who supported the Nazis?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)