|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a mutually beneficial relationship called?
2. What has a key role in human development?
(a) Family forces.
(b) Social forces.
(c) Individual forces.
(d) Religious forces.
3. What world event left Germany in financial ruin and ultimately fostered support for Hitler among the lower, middle class Germans?
(a) The French Revolution.
(b) Germany's civil war.
(c) World War II.
(d) World War I.
4. Who must support the central bureaucracy in order for it to achieve its goal?
(a) The upper class of a given society.
(b) The middle class only.
(c) Both the lower and upper classes.
(d) All the people in a given society.
5. What dual desires did Nazi ideology appeal to?
(a) Wealth and knowledge.
(b) Submission and power.
(c) Dominance and submission.
(d) Power and dominance.
6. What do Fromm's critics fear will happen to society during the process of individuality?
7. How does Fromm categorize the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
(a) Those who both submitted to the Nazis and adopted their ideas.
(b) Germans who joined the Nazis.
(c) Those who did not submit to the Nazis.
(d) Those who submitted to the Nazis but did not accept their ideas.
8. How does Fromm categorize the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
(a) Those who fully adopted Nazism.
(b) Those who were indifferent to Nazism.
(c) Those who stood against Nazism.
(d) Those who disagreed with Nazism.
9. What political belief aligns with Fromm's definition of freedom?
10. Who does the individual submit to when conforming?
(a) A powerful leader.
(c) He does not submit.
11. What is NOT a characteristic of the old, middle class that Fromm identifies?
12. What psychological approach does Fromm use to study history?
(a) Multiple Perspectives.
13. What do sadists seek?
(a) They seek submission.
(b) They seek to dominate others.
(c) They seek to be dominated.
(d) They avoid dominance.
14. What type of character was familiar to the lower, middle class?
15. What does Fromm believe each individual is capable of expressing, as discussed in the chapter "Freedom and Democracy"?
(a) Expressing himself as an individual.
(b) Expressing his sadomasochistic desires.
(c) Expressing a desire to mend primary ties.
(d) Expressing himself as part of a group.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it possible for people to conform without their knowledge?
2. What historian believed that religion drives the social process?
3. What is "Mein Kampf"?
4. How did Hitler feel about Germany?
5. What academic, who Fromm disagrees with, also wrote about the social interpretation of the human development?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)