|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of acts are "phenomena of abundance"?
(a) Calculated acts.
(b) Malicious acts.
(c) Free or spontaneous acts.
(d) Acts of individuality.
2. What forces in a capitalistic society isolate people?
(a) Social forces.
(b) Economic forces.
(c) Familial forces.
(d) Religious forces.
3. What has a key role in human development?
(a) Religious forces.
(b) Individual forces.
(c) Family forces.
(d) Social forces.
4. What German social class supported Hitler but did not adopt his ideologies?
(a) Middle class and moderate.
(b) Working class and liberal.
(c) Upper class and liberal.
(d) Upper class and conservative.
5. What approach to history views the economic interests as the cause of religion and political ideas?
6. What happened to Germany's economic stability following World War I?
(a) Germany's economy was the strongest in its history.
(b) Germany's economy was strengthened.
(c) Germany's economy remained unchanged.
(d) Germany's economy was weakened.
7. What does Fromm cite as the psychological reason for Hitler and his followers' desire for sadomasochism?
(a) Man's desire for power.
(b) The isolation of man.
(c) Increased social freedom.
(d) Society's need for submission.
8. What political and economic beliefs does Fromm wish to reconnect man with?
(a) Communism and a socialist economy.
(b) Democratic principles and a planned economy.
(c) Fascism and a market driven economy.
(d) Marxism and a capitalistic economy.
9. What examples does Fromm cite in the chapter "Freedom and Democracy" of how a democratic society limits individuals?
(a) Education and employment.
(b) Laws and social norms.
(c) Education and child-rearing.
(d) Employment and child-rearing.
10. What is "spontaneous" action?
(a) Actions that come from what a person feels and thinks.
(b) Actions that come from what an individual used to do.
(c) Actions that come from what others feel and think.
(d) Actions that come from what others do.
11. What social structure does Fromm suggest should be part of the psychological aspect of society?
12. What type of character was familiar to the lower, middle class?
13. What name does Fromm give to the isolation that allows Fascism to grow?
(a) Fertile soil.
14. How did Fromm separate the two groups of German people who supported the Nazis?
(a) Fromm based his theory on the people's reactions to the Nazis.
(b) He based his ideas on how people viewed themselves.
(c) He based his theory on the people's reactions to the Jewish community.
(d) Fromm based his thoughts on how people viewed each other.
15. What feelings increase when automatic behaviors, like conformity, exist?
(a) Power and greed.
(b) Love and honesty.
(c) Freedom and integrity.
(d) Fear and isolation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the first group of Germans who supported Hitler submit to the power of the Nazis?
2. What political ideology is reinforced by an authoritarian character?
3. What psychological approach does Fromm use to study history?
4. What is "pseudo-thinking"?
5. What did Freud believe to be the driving force behind human action?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)