|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do both societies and individuals possess that make them unique?
2. Why did the second group of Germans who both supported the Nazis and adopt their ideas submit to Hitler?
(a) They wanted to have more freedom.
(b) Nazism appealed to their desire for authoritarianism.
(c) They wanted to dominate others.
(d) They enjoyed fewer taxes under Nazism.
3. Prior to World War I, who was the lower, middle class obedient to?
(a) German monarchy.
(b) They were not obedient to anyone yet.
(c) German chancellor.
(d) President of the United States.
4. What are the consequences for democratic societies when conformity exists?
(a) Too much trust in the community and dominance over others.
(b) Too little information is shared with society.
(c) Dominance over others is encouraged and rewarded.
(d) Distrust of infomation and a willingness to believe what is told to you.
5. Who wrote the book "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism"?
(a) John Calvin.
(b) Martin Luther.
(c) Max Weber.
(d) Karl Marx.
6. What social structure does Fromm suggest should be part of the psychological aspect of society?
7. What political belief aligns with Fromm's definition of freedom?
8. What happened to Germany's economic stability following World War I?
(a) Germany's economy was weakened.
(b) Germany's economy was strengthened.
(c) Germany's economy was the strongest in its history.
(d) Germany's economy remained unchanged.
9. Which view of human culture takes into account how religious ideas develop economic behavior?
10. What forces in a capitalistic society isolate people?
(a) Religious forces.
(b) Familial forces.
(c) Economic forces.
(d) Social forces.
11. What has a key role in human development?
(a) Religious forces.
(b) Family forces.
(c) Social forces.
(d) Individual forces.
12. According to Freud's "psychologistic" approach to understanding human culture, what image inspired early Christianity?
(a) Love for the mother.
(b) Ambivalence toward society.
(c) Ambivalence toward the father.
(d) Ambivalence toward the mother.
13. What academic, who Fromm disagrees with, also wrote about the social interpretation of the human development?
14. What does Fromm believe to be the main driving force in history?
(a) Economic difference.
(b) Economic equality.
(c) Economic indifference.
(d) Economic similarities.
15. What dual desires did Nazi ideology appeal to?
(a) Wealth and knowledge.
(b) Submission and power.
(c) Power and dominance.
(d) Dominance and submission.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do masochistic people seek?
2. What political and economic beliefs does Fromm wish to reconnect man with?
3. What is "spontaneous" action?
4. What does the social character influence?
5. What is NOT a characteristic of the old, middle class that Fromm identifies?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)