|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Freud's "psychologistic" approach to understanding human culture, what image inspired early Christianity?
(a) Ambivalence toward society.
(b) Ambivalence toward the mother.
(c) Ambivalence toward the father.
(d) Love for the mother.
2. What academic, who Fromm disagrees with, also wrote about the social interpretation of the human development?
3. Prior to World War I, who was the lower, middle class obedient to?
(a) President of the United States.
(b) German chancellor.
(c) They were not obedient to anyone yet.
(d) German monarchy.
4. What German social class both submitted to Hitler and fully adopted his Nazi ideology?
(a) Upper class.
(b) Upper, middle class.
(c) Lower, middle class.
5. What is Fromm's theory about Hitler and the success of the Nazi party?
(a) Hitler wanted to unify people.
(b) The German people adored Hitler.
(c) The explanation is as psychological as Hitler was neurotic.
(d) Hitler was well-regarded in world politics.
6. Why is it possible for people to conform without their knowledge?
(a) People want to belong.
(b) It is not possible.
(c) People think their thoughts are their own, but they have come from another source.
(d) They do so subconsciously.
7. What did Hitler's sadistic nature lead him to desire?
(a) He sought power over others.
(b) He wanted to dominate and be submissive.
(c) He wanted to be dominated.
(d) He wished to help others.
8. What does the development of individual and social characters lead to?
(a) Less freedom for the individual.
(b) More freedom for the individual.
(c) The collapse of society.
(d) The development of historical events.
9. What historian believed that religion drives the social process?
10. What examples does Fromm cite in the chapter "Freedom and Democracy" of how a democratic society limits individuals?
(a) Laws and social norms.
(b) Employment and child-rearing.
(c) Education and employment.
(d) Education and child-rearing.
11. What do both societies and individuals possess that make them unique?
12. What is automaton conformity?
(a) Conforming only to one's self.
(b) The practice of individuals becoming like everyone else.
(c) The practice of ignoring society.
(d) The practice of conforming to a hero.
13. What political belief aligns with Fromm's definition of freedom?
14. What forces in a capitalistic society isolate people?
(a) Familial forces.
(b) Religious forces.
(c) Social forces.
(d) Economic forces.
15. What is the term Fromm uses to describe an individual act that does not compromise one's integrity?
(a) Negative freedom.
(b) Positive individuality.
(c) Positive freedom.
(d) Positive acts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Freud believe to be the driving force behind human action?
2. What do sadists seek?
3. What name does Fromm give to the isolation that allows Fascism to grow?
4. Why did the first group of Germans who supported Hitler submit to the power of the Nazis?
5. What world event left Germany in financial ruin and ultimately fostered support for Hitler among the lower, middle class Germans?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)