|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Fromm categorize the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
(a) Those who disagreed with Nazism.
(b) Those who were indifferent to Nazism.
(c) Those who fully adopted Nazism.
(d) Those who stood against Nazism.
2. What do Fromm's critics fear will happen to society during the process of individuality?
3. What approach to history views the economic interests as the cause of religion and political ideas?
4. What political ideology is reinforced by an authoritarian character?
5. What do both societies and individuals possess that make them unique?
6. Who must support the central bureaucracy in order for it to achieve its goal?
(a) All the people in a given society.
(b) The upper class of a given society.
(c) The middle class only.
(d) Both the lower and upper classes.
7. What political and economic beliefs does Fromm wish to reconnect man with?
(a) Marxism and a capitalistic economy.
(b) Democratic principles and a planned economy.
(c) Communism and a socialist economy.
(d) Fascism and a market driven economy.
8. Who wrote the book "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism"?
(a) John Calvin.
(b) Karl Marx.
(c) Max Weber.
(d) Martin Luther.
9. Which view of human culture takes into account how religious ideas develop economic behavior?
10. What academic, who Fromm disagrees with, also wrote about the social interpretation of the human development?
11. What is a mutually beneficial relationship called?
12. What is Fromm's theory about Hitler and the success of the Nazi party?
(a) Hitler was well-regarded in world politics.
(b) Hitler wanted to unify people.
(c) The German people adored Hitler.
(d) The explanation is as psychological as Hitler was neurotic.
13. What forces in a capitalistic society isolate people?
(a) Familial forces.
(b) Religious forces.
(c) Economic forces.
(d) Social forces.
14. What kind of acts are "phenomena of abundance"?
(a) Acts of individuality.
(b) Free or spontaneous acts.
(c) Calculated acts.
(d) Malicious acts.
15. According to Fromm, who must the economy be a servant to?
(c) The wealthy politicans.
(d) The economy should not serve anyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the original self?
2. What social structure does Fromm suggest should be part of the psychological aspect of society?
3. What happens when the political restraints that an individual has come to rely on are removed?
4. According to Freud's "psychologistic" approach to understanding human culture, what image inspired early Christianity?
5. What are the consequences for democratic societies when conformity exists?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)