|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What world event left Germany in financial ruin and ultimately fostered support for Hitler among the lower, middle class Germans?
(a) World War II.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) Germany's civil war.
(d) World War I.
2. What is a mutually beneficial relationship called?
3. What was the ultimate goal of the Nazi party?
(a) Gain freedom.
(b) Strengthen German society for everyone.
(c) Give up power.
(d) Gain power.
4. How did Fromm separate the two groups of German people who supported the Nazis?
(a) He based his ideas on how people viewed themselves.
(b) Fromm based his thoughts on how people viewed each other.
(c) He based his theory on the people's reactions to the Jewish community.
(d) Fromm based his theory on the people's reactions to the Nazis.
5. Who replaces the original self?
(a) The social self.
(b) The actual self.
(c) The pseudo self.
(d) The conforming self.
6. What practice does Fromm cite evidence that an individual's thoughts could be suggested by someone else?
(c) Electroshock therapy.
7. Who does the individual submit to when conforming?
(c) He does not submit.
(d) A powerful leader.
8. What name does Fromm give to the isolation that allows Fascism to grow?
(b) Fertile soil.
9. What feelings increase when automatic behaviors, like conformity, exist?
(a) Power and greed.
(b) Fear and isolation.
(c) Freedom and integrity.
(d) Love and honesty.
10. What assumptions about man are made that lead people to fear chaos if he acts only in accordance with himself?
(a) People assume man will make the best decisions, all the time.
(b) People assume man is bad and will act destructively.
(c) People assume man needs more freedom.
(d) People assume man will follow others.
11. What does the social character influence?
(a) The individual's desire for freedom.
(b) The democractic system.
(c) The social progress.
(d) The economic process.
12. What German social class both submitted to Hitler and fully adopted his Nazi ideology?
(a) Upper class.
(b) Lower, middle class.
(d) Upper, middle class.
13. What political ideology is reinforced by an authoritarian character?
14. What political and economic beliefs does Fromm wish to reconnect man with?
(a) Democratic principles and a planned economy.
(b) Communism and a socialist economy.
(c) Fascism and a market driven economy.
(d) Marxism and a capitalistic economy.
15. How did Hitler feel about Germany?
(a) He did not want to see Germany succeed.
(b) He felt indifferently.
(c) He loved Germany.
(d) He disliked Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hitler's sadistic nature lead him to desire?
2. What type of character was familiar to the lower, middle class?
3. What word best describes the idea where man "strives for submission and domination"?
4. Who must support the central bureaucracy in order for it to achieve its goal?
5. What does Fromm believe to be the main driving force in history?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)