|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of acts are "phenomena of abundance"?
(a) Acts of individuality.
(b) Free or spontaneous acts.
(c) Malicious acts.
(d) Calculated acts.
2. What does the social character influence?
(a) The democractic system.
(b) The economic process.
(c) The social progress.
(d) The individual's desire for freedom.
3. How did Hitler feel about Germany?
(a) He loved Germany.
(b) He disliked Germany.
(c) He did not want to see Germany succeed.
(d) He felt indifferently.
4. According to Freud's "psychologistic" approach to understanding human culture, what image inspired early Christianity?
(a) Ambivalence toward the father.
(b) Ambivalence toward society.
(c) Ambivalence toward the mother.
(d) Love for the mother.
5. What did Freud believe to be the driving force behind human action?
6. What is one false theory about why the Nazis came to power?
(a) The German people wanted the Nazi party to rise to power.
(b) The Nazis came to power via a strong political figure who coerced society.
(c) The Nazi party was the least popular.
(d) The Nazi party rigged elections.
7. What name does Fromm give to the isolation that allows Fascism to grow?
(b) Fertile soil.
8. Why does Fromm suggest analyzing psychological mechanisms in individuals?
(a) It enables man to improve himself.
(b) It helps understand society.
(c) He uses it to draw conclusions about the group(s) one belongs to.
(d) Fromm believes it will lead to more freedom.
9. What is democratic socialism?
(a) Fascism with economic liberalism.
(b) A political and economic system with a central bureaucracy that is supported by the people.
(c) A political and economic system where the people vote for a dictator.
(d) Economic restictions with a free government.
10. Why did the Nazi regime appear to be stable?
(a) The citizens were in revolt.
(b) The population seemed to have its needs met.
(c) Hitler was no longer in power.
(d) The population had trouble being submissive.
11. Why does an individual conform to society?
(a) To escape freedoms and individuality.
(b) To escape a dictator.
(c) To escape feelings of isolaton and fear.
(d) To escape feelings of conformity.
12. What approach to history views the economic interests as the cause of religion and political ideas?
13. What do masochistic people seek?
(a) They want to dominate a weaker person.
(b) They want to both submit and dominate.
(c) They want to submit to a stronger person.
(d) They want to dominate a stronger person.
14. What is NOT a characteristic of the old, middle class that Fromm identifies?
15. What forces in a capitalistic society isolate people?
(a) Social forces.
(b) Economic forces.
(c) Religious forces.
(d) Familial forces.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do masochists receive from their submissive acts?
2. What German social class supported Hitler but did not adopt his ideologies?
3. What psychological idea is destructiveness related to?
4. What social structure does Fromm suggest should be part of the psychological aspect of society?
5. Who replaces the original self?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)