|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is man's "biological weakness"?
(c) Human culture.
2. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
(a) Individuality and freedom.
(b) Money and loyalty.
(c) Ego and modesty.
(d) Fairness and greed.
3. What does Fromm believe is the greatest assertion of individuality?
(a) Fighting for freedom was not worth it.
(b) Fighting for oppression was easier than fighting for freedom.
(c) Dying while fighting for your freedom.
(d) Fighting for oppression.
4. What war do many consider to be ultimate victory for freedom, according to Fromm?
(a) World War I.
(b) World War II.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) The American Revolution.
5. Which writer summarized Fromm's thoughts on isolation and powerlessness?
(a) Julian Green.
6. According to Fromm's animal kingdom analogy, why is man so helpless at birth?
(a) Man is disconnected from his fellow man.
(b) Man is disconnected from nature.
(c) Man relies on learning in order to adapt to nature.
(d) Man needs others to guide him.
7. How did the Middle Ages support man's freedom?
(a) Personal freedom was reserved for the elite.
(b) Man had a lack of personal freedom.
(c) The Middle Ages were indifferent to freedom.
(d) Man had an abundance of personal freedom.
8. What religions attracted the middle class during the Renaissance?
(a) Catholicism and Islam.
(b) Hindu and Buddism.
(c) Lutheranism and Calvinism.
(d) Judaism and Catholicism.
9. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
(c) Social psychological.
10. What church dominated religion during the Middle Ages?
(a) The Catholic Church.
11. Which of the following is NOT a way in which a child grows during the individuation process?
12. Which writer recognized man's lust for power?
13. In the description of Emily's self-discovery, what did she examine when sitting on her perch?
(a) Her head.
(b) The wind ruffling the tree branches.
(c) The clouds above her.
(d) The skin of her hands.
14. What is static adaptation?
(a) When an existing structure is only partially changed.
(b) The adoption of a new habit.
(c) The habit is modified but not changed completely.
(d) Adaptation that requires no change.
15. Why was medieval man in bondage?
(a) He was still bound by primary ties.
(b) He was bound to the church.
(c) He was not self-aware.
(d) He was not part of a group.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organizations were formed during the Renaissance to control prices?
2. What does Fromm identify as the main motive for human behavior?
3. Who described the fearful individual as tormented by self-doubt?
4. What feeling did the inflation in 1923 Germany and the American crash in 1929 create?
5. What economic related problem led to feelings of individual powerlessness?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)