|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What changes in a child's relationship to society during the individuation process?
(a) The child becomes more separated from society.
(b) There is no change in this relationship.
(c) The child becomes more included in a group.
(d) Society shuns the child.
2. What group of people fought in battles for freedom, as identified by Fromm?
(a) The church.
(b) The wealthy.
(c) The oppressed.
(d) The Middle Class.
3. What happens to primary ties once they are cut?
(a) They cannot be mended.
(b) They can be mended if man gives up his freedom.
(c) Primary ties cannot be cut.
(d) They become secondary ties.
4. In what country did John Calvin's Protestant movement get started?
5. What group was responsible for improving the economic position of the worker?
(b) The distant boss.
(c) Trade unions.
(d) Big business.
6. What organizations were formed during the Renaissance to control prices?
(b) The church.
7. In "Freedom-A Psychological Problem," how does Fromm define work?
(a) Work is anything man does for himself.
(b) Work is anything man does for the group.
(c) Work is concrete and part of an economic system.
(d) Work is whatever the individual wants it to be.
8. What did Luther teach about man?
(a) He is moral.
(b) He is an individual.
(c) He is not free.
(d) He is inherently corrupt.
9. How did man view himself and nature during the Renaissance?
(a) They were indifferent to one another.
(b) They were together.
(c) They were separate.
(d) They relied on each other.
10. What feeling did the inflation in 1923 Germany and the American crash in 1929 create?
11. What violent acts between countries added to feelings of powerlessness and anxiety during the nineteenth century?
(a) Economic downturn.
12. What religions attracted the middle class during the Renaissance?
(a) Catholicism and Islam.
(b) Judaism and Catholicism.
(c) Hindu and Buddism.
(d) Lutheranism and Calvinism.
13. Who is the servant of capitalism?
(a) The church.
14. What forces does an individual need freedom from in order to be a free individual?
(a) Freedom from authority and outside constraints.
(b) Freedom from family and friends.
(c) Freedom from self and family.
(d) Freedom from thinking and self.
15. Why does an individual adapt to a new situation and habit?
(a) They adapt to a new situation out of necessity to a situation.
(b) They adapt whn an old habit is broken in favor of a new one.
(c) They adapt when a new habit cannot be formed.
(d) They adapt to a situation out of choice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fromm cite as an example of dynamic adaptation?
2. What was a positive social aspect of the Middle Ages?
3. What does Fromm call the political freedoms associated with capitalism?
4. What did man lose as a result of his new-found freedom during the Renaissance?
5. What new economic system grew out of the Reformation?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)