|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did man view himself and nature during the Renaissance?
(a) They were indifferent to one another.
(b) They were separate.
(c) They were together.
(d) They relied on each other.
2. Why were individuals able to enjoy some expressive and emotional freedom during medieval times?
(a) The freedom was given to them by the church.
(b) They fought for this freedom.
(c) They did not have any freedom whastoever.
(d) They knew their exact place in the social order.
3. According to Freud, how is man best described?
4. What psychological behavior was the main theme of Hitler's ideology?
(b) Empathy for others.
5. Which of the following does Fromm NOT mention when discussing the definition of freedom?
(a) Freedom can be a threat.
(b) Freedom is easily attained.
(c) For some, freedom is cherished.
(d) Freedom is the absence of pressure.
6. How has the role of the "boss" changed in the modern world?
(a) The boss is more involved.
(b) The boss has a less personal role and is more anonymous.
(c) The boss works alongside his workers.
(d) There is no boss.
7. What independent business does Fromm reference as a model for the new middle class?
(d) Gas station owners.
8. Why is man unable to to realize his individuality when discovering his freedom?
(a) He is unaware of the power of his actions.
(b) He does not care about his individuality.
(c) He feels too guilty.
(d) He is unable to govern himself.
9. What violent acts between countries added to feelings of powerlessness and anxiety during the nineteenth century?
(d) Economic downturn.
10. According to Fromm's animal kingdom analogy, why is man so helpless at birth?
(a) Man needs others to guide him.
(b) Man is disconnected from nature.
(c) Man relies on learning in order to adapt to nature.
(d) Man is disconnected from his fellow man.
11. Fromm likens man's sin of eating the forbidden fruit to what act?
(a) An act of freedom.
(b) An act of kindness.
(c) An act of greed.
(d) An act of anger.
12. What was a key factor to the changes taking place in Europe at the close of the Middle Ages?
(a) Religious change.
(b) Economic change.
(c) Family structure changes.
(d) Social change.
13. What social force does man rely on from others?
14. When are fears most likely to be flexible?
15. According to Calvin, what does leading a virtuous life alleviate?
Short Answer Questions
1. What religions attracted the middle class during the Renaissance?
2. What did the social order provide individuals during the Middle Ages?
3. Why was medieval man in bondage?
4. Which of the following was NOT a restriction during the Middle Ages?
5. In "Freedom-A Psychological Problem," how does Fromm define work?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)