|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT mentioned as a possible consequence for dynamic adaptation?
2. What drives man's struggle for self-promotion?
(b) The lack of love for one's self.
3. What characteristic identified people during the Middle Ages?
(a) People were identified by their dress.
(b) People were not separated by anything during this time.
(c) People were identified by their birthplace.
(d) People were identified by their occupations.
4. What outlined most new freedoms of the Reformation?
(a) The wealthy class.
(b) The economy.
(c) Religious doctrines.
(d) The arts.
5. What tool developed out of the new capitalistic system that helped promote business?
6. What war do many consider to be ultimate victory for freedom, according to Fromm?
(a) World War I.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) World War II.
(d) The American Revolution.
7. What develops as a child grows and primary ties are cut?
(a) The desire for freedom and independence remains unchanged.
(b) The desire for freedom and independence increases.
(c) The desire for freedom and independence decreases.
(d) There is no correlation.
8. Why does an individual adapt to a new situation and habit?
(a) They adapt when a new habit cannot be formed.
(b) They adapt to a new situation out of necessity to a situation.
(c) They adapt to a situation out of choice.
(d) They adapt whn an old habit is broken in favor of a new one.
9. How did the Middle Ages support man's freedom?
(a) Personal freedom was reserved for the elite.
(b) Man had a lack of personal freedom.
(c) The Middle Ages were indifferent to freedom.
(d) Man had an abundance of personal freedom.
10. Which great thinker does Fromm NOT credit in his book?
11. Where did the Renaissance begin?
(a) United States.
12. What did the new wealthy class seek during the Renaissance?
13. How does Fromm define selfishness?
(a) Acting in one's self-interest.
(b) Enjoying capitalism.
(c) Ignoring others.
(d) Being aware of one's self.
14. How did Luther define selfishness?
(a) Ignoring religion.
15. In what country did John Calvin's Protestant movement get started?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Fromm's animal kingdom analogy, why is man so helpless at birth?
2. What group was responsible for improving the economic position of the worker?
3. Why did the middle class see an increase in white-collar workers?
4. What time period was marked by man's darkness and scheming?
5. What biblical myth does Fromm reference?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)