|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time period did the process of individuation reach its peak?
(a) The Middle Ages.
(b) The Renaissance.
(c) The centuries between the Reformation and present day.
(d) Biblical times.
2. How did man view himself and nature during the Renaissance?
(a) They were together.
(b) They relied on each other.
(c) They were indifferent to one another.
(d) They were separate.
3. What drives man's struggle for self-promotion?
(c) The lack of love for one's self.
4. What political ideology did John Dewey discuss?
5. Why was medieval man in bondage?
(a) He was bound to the church.
(b) He was not self-aware.
(c) He was still bound by primary ties.
(d) He was not part of a group.
6. How has the role of the "boss" changed in the modern world?
(a) There is no boss.
(b) The boss works alongside his workers.
(c) The boss has a less personal role and is more anonymous.
(d) The boss is more involved.
7. What new economic system grew out of the Reformation?
(b) Working class domination.
8. What does Fromm say increases a child's emotional state?
9. What does Fromm believe is the greatest assertion of individuality?
(a) Fighting for oppression.
(b) Fighting for oppression was easier than fighting for freedom.
(c) Fighting for freedom was not worth it.
(d) Dying while fighting for your freedom.
10. Who described moral isolation in "The Inventor's Suffering"?
11. Who described the fearful individual as tormented by self-doubt?
12. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
(a) Fairness and greed.
(b) Ego and modesty.
(c) Individuality and freedom.
(d) Money and loyalty.
13. What war do many consider to be ultimate victory for freedom, according to Fromm?
(a) The American Revolution.
(b) World War II.
(c) World War I.
(d) The French Revolution.
14. Who accompanied Robinson Crusoe on his adventures?
(a) No one.
15. Why did the middle class see an increase in white-collar workers?
(b) Big business expansion.
(c) Political reform.
(d) Increased education.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT a restriction during the Middle Ages?
2. What did Luther teach about man?
3. What group of people fought in battles for freedom, as identified by Fromm?
4. What happens to primary ties once they are cut?
5. What did man lose as a result of his new-found freedom during the Renaissance?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)