|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fromm call the political freedoms associated with capitalism?
(a) Positive freedoms.
(b) Negative freedoms.
(c) Capitalistic freedoms.
(d) Monetary freedoms.
2. What was a key factor to the changes taking place in Europe at the close of the Middle Ages?
(a) Family structure changes.
(b) Social change.
(c) Economic change.
(d) Religious change.
3. In "Freedom-A Psychological Problem," how does Fromm define work?
(a) Work is anything man does for the group.
(b) Work is concrete and part of an economic system.
(c) Work is anything man does for himself.
(d) Work is whatever the individual wants it to be.
4. According to Fromm's animal kingdom analogy, why is man so helpless at birth?
(a) Man relies on learning in order to adapt to nature.
(b) Man is disconnected from his fellow man.
(c) Man is disconnected from nature.
(d) Man needs others to guide him.
5. What group was responsible for improving the economic position of the worker?
(a) Trade unions.
(c) The distant boss.
(d) Big business.
6. Why was medieval man in bondage?
(a) He was not self-aware.
(b) He was not part of a group.
(c) He was still bound by primary ties.
(d) He was bound to the church.
7. What drives man's struggle for self-promotion?
(b) The lack of love for one's self.
8. What new economic system grew out of the Reformation?
(a) Working class domination.
9. What independent business does Fromm reference as a model for the new middle class?
(a) Gas station owners.
10. Which writer summarized Fromm's thoughts on isolation and powerlessness?
(a) Julian Green.
11. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
(a) Ego and modesty.
(b) Individuality and freedom.
(c) Money and loyalty.
(d) Fairness and greed.
12. What does Fromm cite as an example of dynamic adaptation?
13. What is often a negative result of man's freedom?
(c) There is no negative result.
14. What biblical myth does Fromm reference?
(a) Moses receiving the Ten Commandments.
(b) Noah's Ark.
(c) Joseph and his brothers.
(d) Man's explusion from paradise.
15. How does Fromm define selfishness?
(a) Ignoring others.
(b) Enjoying capitalism.
(c) Acting in one's self-interest.
(d) Being aware of one's self.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a way in which a child grows during the individuation process?
2. In the description of Emily's self-discovery, what did she examine when sitting on her perch?
3. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
4. What did man lose as a result of his new-found freedom during the Renaissance?
5. What church dominated religion during the Middle Ages?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)