|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fromm call the political freedoms associated with capitalism?
(a) Positive freedoms.
(b) Negative freedoms.
(c) Monetary freedoms.
(d) Capitalistic freedoms.
2. How did capitalism change the role of individuals?
(a) It took away their freedoms.
(b) It turned them into consumers.
(c) It turned them against making money.
(d) It gave them more freedom.
3. What was a key factor to the changes taking place in Europe at the close of the Middle Ages?
(a) Family structure changes.
(b) Social change.
(c) Economic change.
(d) Religious change.
4. How has the role of the "boss" changed in the modern world?
(a) There is no boss.
(b) The boss is more involved.
(c) The boss works alongside his workers.
(d) The boss has a less personal role and is more anonymous.
5. Why would Fromm view the action of man eating the forbidden fruit as a positive act?
(a) Man took a risk.
(b) Man fought against nature.
(c) Man took a step toward becoming an individual.
(d) Man separated himself from woman.
6. What does Fromm believe is the greatest assertion of individuality?
(a) Fighting for oppression.
(b) Dying while fighting for your freedom.
(c) Fighting for oppression was easier than fighting for freedom.
(d) Fighting for freedom was not worth it.
7. In what country did John Calvin's Protestant movement get started?
8. Why does an individual adapt to a new situation and habit?
(a) They adapt whn an old habit is broken in favor of a new one.
(b) They adapt to a new situation out of necessity to a situation.
(c) They adapt to a situation out of choice.
(d) They adapt when a new habit cannot be formed.
9. What did the new wealthy class seek during the Renaissance?
10. What factor most affected a person's change of identify during the Middle Ages?
(a) His individuality.
(b) His religion.
(c) HIs family.
(d) His occupation.
11. Who accompanied Robinson Crusoe on his adventures?
(c) No one.
12. How did man view himself and nature during the Renaissance?
(a) They relied on each other.
(b) They were indifferent to one another.
(c) They were together.
(d) They were separate.
13. What was a positive social aspect of the Middle Ages?
(c) Increased individual freedom.
(d) Loss of self.
14. What social force does man rely on from others?
15. What relationship connects oneself to the world without compromising individuality?
(a) Work and family.
(b) Man and society.
(c) Religion and society.
(d) Man and nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which writer summarized Fromm's thoughts on isolation and powerlessness?
2. How did Luther define selfishness?
3. What is often a negative result of man's freedom?
4. According to Fromm, what religious thinking helps society prepare for capitalism?
5. What new economic system grew out of the Reformation?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)