|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characteristic identified people during the Middle Ages?
(a) People were not separated by anything during this time.
(b) People were identified by their dress.
(c) People were identified by their birthplace.
(d) People were identified by their occupations.
2. What political ideology did Nietzsche find nihilism intertwined with?
3. What social force does man rely on from others?
4. How does Fromm define selfishness?
(a) Acting in one's self-interest.
(b) Enjoying capitalism.
(c) Being aware of one's self.
(d) Ignoring others.
5. What cultural time period was Europe moving toward, following the Middle Ages?
(a) The Religious Era.
(b) The Renaissance.
(c) The Industrial Revolution.
(d) The Dark Ages.
6. Which of the following is NOT a way in which a child grows during the individuation process?
7. Whose work about a ten-year-old child's awareness of self does Fromm reference?
(b) R. Hughes.
8. Who described moral isolation in "The Inventor's Suffering"?
9. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
(c) Social psychological.
10. What political ideology did John Dewey discuss?
11. Fromm likens man's sin of eating the forbidden fruit to what act?
(a) An act of anger.
(b) An act of freedom.
(c) An act of greed.
(d) An act of kindness.
12. What is man's "biological weakness"?
(c) Human culture.
13. What church dominated religion during the Middle Ages?
(c) The Catholic Church.
14. How did Luther define selfishness?
(c) Ignoring religion.
15. What independent business does Fromm reference as a model for the new middle class?
(c) Gas station owners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes in a child's relationship to society during the individuation process?
2. What contradiction of freedom does Fromm discuss in his book?
3. What does Fromm believe is the greatest assertion of individuality?
4. What social class found Lutheranism the most appealing?
5. What did man lose as a result of his new-found freedom during the Renaissance?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)