|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Fromm, what religious thinking helps society prepare for capitalism?
2. In "Freedom-A Psychological Problem," how does Fromm define work?
(a) Work is concrete and part of an economic system.
(b) Work is anything man does for the group.
(c) Work is anything man does for himself.
(d) Work is whatever the individual wants it to be.
3. When are fears most likely to be flexible?
4. What did the Church during the Middle Ages promise people who accepted guilt for their sins?
(a) The church promised wealth.
(b) Disdain for sin.
(c) Forgiveness and unconditional love.
(d) The church did not do anything.
5. What forces does an individual need freedom from in order to be a free individual?
(a) Freedom from self and family.
(b) Freedom from authority and outside constraints.
(c) Freedom from thinking and self.
(d) Freedom from family and friends.
6. What did the social order provide individuals during the Middle Ages?
(a) Feelings of security and belonging.
7. What new economic system grew out of the Reformation?
(b) Working class domination.
8. What biblical myth does Fromm reference?
(a) Noah's Ark.
(b) Moses receiving the Ten Commandments.
(c) Joseph and his brothers.
(d) Man's explusion from paradise.
9. What factor most affected a person's change of identify during the Middle Ages?
(a) His individuality.
(b) His religion.
(c) His occupation.
(d) HIs family.
10. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
(a) Ego and modesty.
(b) Fairness and greed.
(c) Individuality and freedom.
(d) Money and loyalty.
11. What characteristic identified people during the Middle Ages?
(a) People were not separated by anything during this time.
(b) People were identified by their dress.
(c) People were identified by their occupations.
(d) People were identified by their birthplace.
12. What time period did the process of individuation reach its peak?
(a) The centuries between the Reformation and present day.
(b) The Renaissance.
(c) The Middle Ages.
(d) Biblical times.
13. What contradiction of freedom does Fromm discuss in his book?
(a) Man is more isolated but less independent.
(b) Man is more independent but also more isolated.
(c) Man is equally isolated and independent.
(d) Man has no increased isolation or independence.
14. What violent acts between countries added to feelings of powerlessness and anxiety during the nineteenth century?
(b) Economic downturn.
15. In what country did John Calvin's Protestant movement get started?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does man suffer from eating the forbidden fruit?
2. Where did the Renaissance begin?
3. What psychological behavior was the main theme of Hitler's ideology?
4. What was a positive social aspect of the Middle Ages?
5. Why would Fromm view the action of man eating the forbidden fruit as a positive act?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)