|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What political ideology did John Dewey discuss?
2. What is often a negative result of man's freedom?
(a) There is no negative result.
3. What social class found Lutheranism the most appealing?
(a) Lower Class.
(b) Upper Class.
(d) Middle Class.
4. Which writer summarized Fromm's thoughts on isolation and powerlessness?
(b) Julian Green.
5. What is the name of Franz Kafka's work that Fromm references in his book?
(d) The Trial.
6. What did Luther teach about man?
(a) He is not free.
(b) He is inherently corrupt.
(c) He is an individual.
(d) He is moral.
7. What is static adaptation?
(a) The adoption of a new habit.
(b) The habit is modified but not changed completely.
(c) Adaptation that requires no change.
(d) When an existing structure is only partially changed.
8. What organizations were formed during the Renaissance to control prices?
(a) The church.
9. What economic related problem led to feelings of individual powerlessness?
(b) Trade unions.
(c) High taxes.
10. In "Freedom-A Psychological Problem," how does Fromm define work?
(a) Work is whatever the individual wants it to be.
(b) Work is anything man does for the group.
(c) Work is concrete and part of an economic system.
(d) Work is anything man does for himself.
11. What is a consequence for man eating the forbidden fruit?
(a) Man lost freedom.
(b) Man lost his family.
(c) Man is at peace with nature.
(d) There is discord between man and nature.
12. What factor most affected a person's change of identify during the Middle Ages?
(a) His occupation.
(b) His religion.
(c) His individuality.
(d) HIs family.
13. Fromm likens man's sin of eating the forbidden fruit to what act?
(a) An act of greed.
(b) An act of freedom.
(c) An act of kindness.
(d) An act of anger.
14. When are fears most likely to be flexible?
15. Who is the servant of capitalism?
(d) The church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What church dominated religion during the Middle Ages?
2. What relationship connects oneself to the world without compromising individuality?
3. What cultural time period was Europe moving toward, following the Middle Ages?
4. What does Fromm believe is the greatest assertion of individuality?
5. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)