|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What goal does Fromm identify as the "abolition of external domination"?
(a) Freedom for the group.
(b) Obedience to a leader.
(c) A harmonious society.
(d) Freedom of the individual.
2. What tool developed out of the new capitalistic system that helped promote business?
3. Who is the servant of capitalism?
(a) The church.
4. What violent acts between countries added to feelings of powerlessness and anxiety during the nineteenth century?
(d) Economic downturn.
5. What new economic system grew out of the Reformation?
(c) Working class domination.
6. Who accompanied Robinson Crusoe on his adventures?
(a) No one.
7. What organizations were formed during the Renaissance to control prices?
(a) The church.
8. What relationship connects oneself to the world without compromising individuality?
(a) Man and society.
(b) Religion and society.
(c) Man and nature.
(d) Work and family.
9. What factor most affected a person's change of identify during the Middle Ages?
(a) HIs family.
(b) His individuality.
(c) His religion.
(d) His occupation.
10. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
(a) Money and loyalty.
(b) Ego and modesty.
(c) Individuality and freedom.
(d) Fairness and greed.
11. What was a key factor to the changes taking place in Europe at the close of the Middle Ages?
(a) Religious change.
(b) Family structure changes.
(c) Economic change.
(d) Social change.
12. What characteristic identified people during the Middle Ages?
(a) People were identified by their birthplace.
(b) People were identified by their dress.
(c) People were identified by their occupations.
(d) People were not separated by anything during this time.
13. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
(b) Social psychological.
14. What drives man's struggle for self-promotion?
(d) The lack of love for one's self.
15. How did man view himself and nature during the Renaissance?
(a) They were separate.
(b) They were indifferent to one another.
(c) They were together.
(d) They relied on each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political ideology did Nietzsche find nihilism intertwined with?
2. According to Calvin, what does leading a virtuous life alleviate?
3. What did man lose as a result of his new-found freedom during the Renaissance?
4. Why did the middle class see an increase in white-collar workers?
5. What war do many consider to be ultimate victory for freedom, according to Fromm?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)