|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Fromm, what religious thinking helps society prepare for capitalism?
2. What changes in a child's relationship to society during the individuation process?
(a) The child becomes more included in a group.
(b) The child becomes more separated from society.
(c) There is no change in this relationship.
(d) Society shuns the child.
3. What social force does man rely on from others?
4. In "Freedom-A Psychological Problem," how does Fromm define work?
(a) Work is whatever the individual wants it to be.
(b) Work is anything man does for the group.
(c) Work is concrete and part of an economic system.
(d) Work is anything man does for himself.
5. What is static adaptation?
(a) The adoption of a new habit.
(b) When an existing structure is only partially changed.
(c) Adaptation that requires no change.
(d) The habit is modified but not changed completely.
6. How does Fromm define selfishness?
(a) Being aware of one's self.
(b) Acting in one's self-interest.
(c) Enjoying capitalism.
(d) Ignoring others.
7. What characteristic identified people during the Middle Ages?
(a) People were identified by their dress.
(b) People were not separated by anything during this time.
(c) People were identified by their birthplace.
(d) People were identified by their occupations.
8. What did the social order provide individuals during the Middle Ages?
(a) Feelings of security and belonging.
9. What cultural time period was Europe moving toward, following the Middle Ages?
(a) The Renaissance.
(b) The Religious Era.
(c) The Dark Ages.
(d) The Industrial Revolution.
10. Who is the servant of capitalism?
(d) The church.
11. Which workers was the medieval economy based on?
(b) Craftsmen and merchants.
12. What contradiction of freedom does Fromm discuss in his book?
(a) Man is equally isolated and independent.
(b) Man has no increased isolation or independence.
(c) Man is more independent but also more isolated.
(d) Man is more isolated but less independent.
13. What is often a negative result of man's freedom?
(a) There is no negative result.
14. What religions attracted the middle class during the Renaissance?
(a) Catholicism and Islam.
(b) Hindu and Buddism.
(c) Lutheranism and Calvinism.
(d) Judaism and Catholicism.
15. Why did the middle class see an increase in white-collar workers?
(a) Political reform.
(b) Increased education.
(c) Big business expansion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does man suffer from eating the forbidden fruit?
2. What political ideology did Nietzsche find nihilism intertwined with?
3. Which great thinker does Fromm NOT credit in his book?
4. What did the Church during the Middle Ages promise people who accepted guilt for their sins?
5. According to Calvin, what can change a person's destiny?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)