|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characteristic identified people during the Middle Ages?
(a) People were identified by their dress.
(b) People were identified by their occupations.
(c) People were identified by their birthplace.
(d) People were not separated by anything during this time.
2. How does Fromm define selfishness?
(a) Enjoying capitalism.
(b) Being aware of one's self.
(c) Ignoring others.
(d) Acting in one's self-interest.
3. Why does an individual adapt to a new situation and habit?
(a) They adapt to a new situation out of necessity to a situation.
(b) They adapt when a new habit cannot be formed.
(c) They adapt whn an old habit is broken in favor of a new one.
(d) They adapt to a situation out of choice.
4. What happens to primary ties once they are cut?
(a) Primary ties cannot be cut.
(b) They can be mended if man gives up his freedom.
(c) They cannot be mended.
(d) They become secondary ties.
5. Which of the following did man NOT have to face while living in Eden?
6. What social force does man rely on from others?
7. What was a positive social aspect of the Middle Ages?
(a) Increased individual freedom.
(c) Loss of self.
8. What organizations were formed during the Renaissance to control prices?
(c) The church.
9. What war do many consider to be ultimate victory for freedom, according to Fromm?
(a) World War II.
(b) The American Revolution.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) World War I.
10. What contradiction of freedom does Fromm discuss in his book?
(a) Man is more independent but also more isolated.
(b) Man has no increased isolation or independence.
(c) Man is more isolated but less independent.
(d) Man is equally isolated and independent.
11. How did Luther define selfishness?
(b) Ignoring religion.
12. What did Luther teach about man?
(a) He is moral.
(b) He is an individual.
(c) He is not free.
(d) He is inherently corrupt.
13. Who is the servant of capitalism?
(b) The church.
14. What is a consequence for man eating the forbidden fruit?
(a) There is discord between man and nature.
(b) Man lost his family.
(c) Man lost freedom.
(d) Man is at peace with nature.
15. Why were individuals able to enjoy some expressive and emotional freedom during medieval times?
(a) The freedom was given to them by the church.
(b) They fought for this freedom.
(c) They did not have any freedom whastoever.
(d) They knew their exact place in the social order.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is man's "biological weakness"?
2. What drives man's struggle for self-promotion?
3. What political ideology did John Dewey discuss?
4. What psychological behavior was the main theme of Hitler's ideology?
5. Why was medieval man in bondage?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)