|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feeling did the inflation in 1923 Germany and the American crash in 1929 create?
2. How has the role of the "boss" changed in the modern world?
(a) There is no boss.
(b) The boss is more involved.
(c) The boss works alongside his workers.
(d) The boss has a less personal role and is more anonymous.
3. What is man's "biological weakness"?
(a) Human culture.
4. Which of the following was NOT a restriction during the Middle Ages?
(a) Man could move anywhere he wanted.
(b) Man could change his dress attire.
(c) Artisans could sell at any price.
(d) Man could change his social order.
5. What example does Fromm use to point out a contradiction of freedom?
(a) Freedom of speech.
(b) Freedom from social order.
(c) Freedom of capitalism.
(d) Freedom of mobility.
6. What time period was marked by man's darkness and scheming?
(a) The Middle Ages.
(b) The Dark Ages.
(c) Industrial Revolution.
(d) The Renaissance.
7. How did capitalism change the role of individuals?
(a) It took away their freedoms.
(b) It turned them into consumers.
(c) It gave them more freedom.
(d) It turned them against making money.
8. Why is man unable to to realize his individuality when discovering his freedom?
(a) He feels too guilty.
(b) He does not care about his individuality.
(c) He is unable to govern himself.
(d) He is unaware of the power of his actions.
9. What time period did the process of individuation reach its peak?
(a) The centuries between the Reformation and present day.
(b) The Middle Ages.
(c) Biblical times.
(d) The Renaissance.
10. Fromm likens man's sin of eating the forbidden fruit to what act?
(a) An act of kindness.
(b) An act of freedom.
(c) An act of greed.
(d) An act of anger.
11. What drives man's struggle for self-promotion?
(b) The lack of love for one's self.
12. What does Fromm say increases a child's emotional state?
13. Why was medieval man in bondage?
(a) He was not part of a group.
(b) He was bound to the church.
(c) He was not self-aware.
(d) He was still bound by primary ties.
14. What violent acts between countries added to feelings of powerlessness and anxiety during the nineteenth century?
(a) Economic downturn.
15. What did the new wealthy class seek during the Renaissance?
Short Answer Questions
1. What religions attracted the middle class during the Renaissance?
2. What political tool was used to influence an individual who was voting?
3. What did man lose as a result of his new-found freedom during the Renaissance?
4. According to the Catholic Church, what corrupts man?
5. What is NOT mentioned as a possible consequence for dynamic adaptation?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)