|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What social class found Lutheranism the most appealing?
(a) Upper Class.
(b) Middle Class.
(d) Lower Class.
2. Why does an individual adapt to a new situation and habit?
(a) They adapt to a new situation out of necessity to a situation.
(b) They adapt to a situation out of choice.
(c) They adapt whn an old habit is broken in favor of a new one.
(d) They adapt when a new habit cannot be formed.
3. Which writer recognized man's lust for power?
4. Who accompanied Robinson Crusoe on his adventures?
(a) No one.
5. What drives man's struggle for self-promotion?
(b) The lack of love for one's self.
6. Where did the Renaissance begin?
(d) United States.
7. Who described moral isolation in "The Inventor's Suffering"?
8. Why were individuals able to enjoy some expressive and emotional freedom during medieval times?
(a) The freedom was given to them by the church.
(b) They fought for this freedom.
(c) They knew their exact place in the social order.
(d) They did not have any freedom whastoever.
9. Which of the following did man NOT have to face while living in Eden?
10. What example does Fromm use to point out a contradiction of freedom?
(a) Freedom of capitalism.
(b) Freedom from social order.
(c) Freedom of mobility.
(d) Freedom of speech.
11. What time period was marked by man's darkness and scheming?
(a) Industrial Revolution.
(b) The Dark Ages.
(c) The Renaissance.
(d) The Middle Ages.
12. What factor became the greatest social influence during the Renaissance?
13. What group was responsible for improving the economic position of the worker?
(a) Trade unions.
(b) Big business.
(c) The distant boss.
14. What did man lose as a result of his new-found freedom during the Renaissance?
(a) Loss of money.
(b) Loss of security.
(c) Loss of family.
(d) Loss of social class.
15. What did the new wealthy class seek during the Renaissance?
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Fromm cite for the rise of authoritarian leaders like Hitler?
2. What tool developed out of the new capitalistic system that helped promote business?
3. What is the name of Franz Kafka's work that Fromm references in his book?
4. What economic related problem led to feelings of individual powerlessness?
5. What is a consequence for man eating the forbidden fruit?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)