|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which writer recognized man's lust for power?
2. When are fears most likely to be flexible?
3. What new economic system grew out of the Reformation?
(c) Working class domination.
4. What violent acts between countries added to feelings of powerlessness and anxiety during the nineteenth century?
(c) Economic downturn.
5. What did the Church during the Middle Ages promise people who accepted guilt for their sins?
(a) Disdain for sin.
(b) The church promised wealth.
(c) The church did not do anything.
(d) Forgiveness and unconditional love.
6. Who accompanied Robinson Crusoe on his adventures?
(a) No one.
7. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
(b) Social psychological.
8. Who described moral isolation in "The Inventor's Suffering"?
9. What contradiction of freedom does Fromm discuss in his book?
(a) Man is more independent but also more isolated.
(b) Man is more isolated but less independent.
(c) Man is equally isolated and independent.
(d) Man has no increased isolation or independence.
10. What drives man's struggle for self-promotion?
(c) The lack of love for one's self.
11. What did the social order provide individuals during the Middle Ages?
(b) Feelings of security and belonging.
12. What cultural time period was Europe moving toward, following the Middle Ages?
(a) The Dark Ages.
(b) The Industrial Revolution.
(c) The Religious Era.
(d) The Renaissance.
13. What time period did the process of individuation reach its peak?
(a) The centuries between the Reformation and present day.
(b) The Renaissance.
(c) Biblical times.
(d) The Middle Ages.
14. What church dominated religion during the Middle Ages?
(d) The Catholic Church.
15. What political ideology did John Dewey discuss?
Short Answer Questions
1. Fromm likens man's sin of eating the forbidden fruit to what act?
2. What tool developed out of the new capitalistic system that helped promote business?
3. What develops as a child grows and primary ties are cut?
4. According to Calvin, what does leading a virtuous life alleviate?
5. Whose work about a ten-year-old child's awareness of self does Fromm reference?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)