|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time period did the process of individuation reach its peak?
(a) The Renaissance.
(b) Biblical times.
(c) The Middle Ages.
(d) The centuries between the Reformation and present day.
2. What group of people fought in battles for freedom, as identified by Fromm?
(a) The wealthy.
(b) The oppressed.
(c) The church.
(d) The Middle Class.
3. What outlined most new freedoms of the Reformation?
(a) The arts.
(b) The wealthy class.
(c) The economy.
(d) Religious doctrines.
4. Which writer summarized Fromm's thoughts on isolation and powerlessness?
(c) Julian Green.
5. Why is man unable to to realize his individuality when discovering his freedom?
(a) He is unable to govern himself.
(b) He does not care about his individuality.
(c) He is unaware of the power of his actions.
(d) He feels too guilty.
6. What contradiction of freedom does Fromm discuss in his book?
(a) Man is more isolated but less independent.
(b) Man is equally isolated and independent.
(c) Man has no increased isolation or independence.
(d) Man is more independent but also more isolated.
7. Which workers was the medieval economy based on?
(c) Craftsmen and merchants.
8. What was a key factor to the changes taking place in Europe at the close of the Middle Ages?
(a) Social change.
(b) Religious change.
(c) Economic change.
(d) Family structure changes.
9. Why does man suffer from eating the forbidden fruit?
(a) He does not suffer.
(b) He feels greedy.
(c) He believes that what he did was wrong.
(d) He feels separated from nature and alone.
10. Which of the following did man NOT have to face while living in Eden?
11. How did Luther define selfishness?
(b) Ignoring religion.
12. What church dominated religion during the Middle Ages?
(a) The Catholic Church.
13. What factor most affected a person's change of identify during the Middle Ages?
(a) HIs family.
(b) His religion.
(c) His occupation.
(d) His individuality.
14. What did man lose as a result of his new-found freedom during the Renaissance?
(a) Loss of security.
(b) Loss of social class.
(c) Loss of family.
(d) Loss of money.
15. Who described moral isolation in "The Inventor's Suffering"?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
2. How did capitalism change the role of individuals?
3. What develops as a child grows and primary ties are cut?
4. What did Luther teach about man?
5. What religions attracted the middle class during the Renaissance?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)