|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does an individual adapt to a new situation and habit?
(a) They adapt to a situation out of choice.
(b) They adapt when a new habit cannot be formed.
(c) They adapt to a new situation out of necessity to a situation.
(d) They adapt whn an old habit is broken in favor of a new one.
2. What group was responsible for improving the economic position of the worker?
(a) Trade unions.
(c) The distant boss.
(d) Big business.
3. What feeling did the inflation in 1923 Germany and the American crash in 1929 create?
4. What changes in a child's relationship to society during the individuation process?
(a) The child becomes more included in a group.
(b) There is no change in this relationship.
(c) Society shuns the child.
(d) The child becomes more separated from society.
5. What reason does Fromm cite for the rise of authoritarian leaders like Hitler?
(a) These leaders were cunning and used trickery to get their way.
(b) These leaders were too forceful and its members could not resist.
(c) These societies were lacking training in democracy.
(d) People were seeking ways to escape from the responsibility of freedom.
6. What was a positive social aspect of the Middle Ages?
(a) Increased individual freedom.
(b) Loss of self.
7. Why was medieval man in bondage?
(a) He was still bound by primary ties.
(b) He was not part of a group.
(c) He was not self-aware.
(d) He was bound to the church.
8. What violent acts between countries added to feelings of powerlessness and anxiety during the nineteenth century?
(c) Economic downturn.
9. What did the Church during the Middle Ages promise people who accepted guilt for their sins?
(a) Disdain for sin.
(b) The church promised wealth.
(c) The church did not do anything.
(d) Forgiveness and unconditional love.
10. Which writer recognized man's lust for power?
11. What did man lose as a result of his new-found freedom during the Renaissance?
(a) Loss of family.
(b) Loss of money.
(c) Loss of social class.
(d) Loss of security.
12. What political tool was used to influence an individual who was voting?
(a) Political propaganda.
(d) Voting blocs.
13. What develops as a child grows and primary ties are cut?
(a) There is no correlation.
(b) The desire for freedom and independence decreases.
(c) The desire for freedom and independence increases.
(d) The desire for freedom and independence remains unchanged.
14. According to Calvin, what does leading a virtuous life alleviate?
15. What did Luther teach about man?
(a) He is an individual.
(b) He is moral.
(c) He is not free.
(d) He is inherently corrupt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fromm say increases a child's emotional state?
2. What is a consequence for man eating the forbidden fruit?
3. What is NOT mentioned as a possible consequence for dynamic adaptation?
4. What outlined most new freedoms of the Reformation?
5. Which of the following did man NOT have to face while living in Eden?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)