|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What factor most affected a person's change of identify during the Middle Ages?
(a) His religion.
(b) HIs family.
(c) His occupation.
(d) His individuality.
2. Where did the Renaissance begin?
(d) United States.
3. When are fears most likely to be flexible?
4. What does Fromm cite as an example of dynamic adaptation?
5. How did the Middle Ages support man's freedom?
(a) Man had a lack of personal freedom.
(b) The Middle Ages were indifferent to freedom.
(c) Personal freedom was reserved for the elite.
(d) Man had an abundance of personal freedom.
6. What independent business does Fromm reference as a model for the new middle class?
(c) Gas station owners.
7. According to Calvin, what can change a person's destiny?
8. Why is man unable to to realize his individuality when discovering his freedom?
(a) He is unaware of the power of his actions.
(b) He feels too guilty.
(c) He is unable to govern himself.
(d) He does not care about his individuality.
9. Who accompanied Robinson Crusoe on his adventures?
(a) No one.
10. Who is the servant of capitalism?
(b) The church.
11. In "Freedom-A Psychological Problem," how does Fromm define work?
(a) Work is anything man does for himself.
(b) Work is concrete and part of an economic system.
(c) Work is anything man does for the group.
(d) Work is whatever the individual wants it to be.
12. According to Freud, how is man best described?
13. According to Fromm's animal kingdom analogy, why is man so helpless at birth?
(a) Man is disconnected from nature.
(b) Man relies on learning in order to adapt to nature.
(c) Man needs others to guide him.
(d) Man is disconnected from his fellow man.
14. What relationship connects oneself to the world without compromising individuality?
(a) Work and family.
(b) Religion and society.
(c) Man and nature.
(d) Man and society.
15. What changes in a child's relationship to society during the individuation process?
(a) Society shuns the child.
(b) The child becomes more separated from society.
(c) The child becomes more included in a group.
(d) There is no change in this relationship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What economic related problem led to feelings of individual powerlessness?
2. How has the role of the "boss" changed in the modern world?
3. What organizations were formed during the Renaissance to control prices?
4. What group was responsible for improving the economic position of the worker?
5. What biblical myth does Fromm reference?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)