|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new economic system grew out of the Reformation?
(c) Working class domination.
2. What drives man's struggle for self-promotion?
(a) The lack of love for one's self.
3. What is individuation?
(a) When an individual loses his identity to the group.
(b) A time when an individual gives up his individuality.
(c) The process by which the group singles out an individual.
(d) The growing process of the individual.
4. What biblical myth does Fromm reference?
(a) Man's explusion from paradise.
(b) Moses receiving the Ten Commandments.
(c) Noah's Ark.
(d) Joseph and his brothers.
5. Which workers was the medieval economy based on?
(d) Craftsmen and merchants.
6. What independent business does Fromm reference as a model for the new middle class?
(b) Gas station owners.
7. What economic related problem led to feelings of individual powerlessness?
(c) Trade unions.
(d) High taxes.
8. What social force does man rely on from others?
9. What relationship connects oneself to the world without compromising individuality?
(a) Man and nature.
(b) Man and society.
(c) Work and family.
(d) Religion and society.
10. What political ideology did John Dewey discuss?
11. What goal does Fromm identify as the "abolition of external domination"?
(a) Freedom for the group.
(b) A harmonious society.
(c) Freedom of the individual.
(d) Obedience to a leader.
12. Which of the following was NOT a restriction during the Middle Ages?
(a) Man could change his social order.
(b) Man could change his dress attire.
(c) Man could move anywhere he wanted.
(d) Artisans could sell at any price.
13. Which great thinker does Fromm NOT credit in his book?
14. What does Fromm say increases a child's emotional state?
15. What did the social order provide individuals during the Middle Ages?
(c) Feelings of security and belonging.
Short Answer Questions
1. What factor most affected a person's change of identify during the Middle Ages?
2. How has the role of the "boss" changed in the modern world?
3. According to Fromm, what religious thinking helps society prepare for capitalism?
4. What characteristic identified people during the Middle Ages?
5. What does Fromm identify as the main motive for human behavior?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)