|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Church during the Middle Ages promise people who accepted guilt for their sins?
(a) Forgiveness and unconditional love.
(b) The church did not do anything.
(c) Disdain for sin.
(d) The church promised wealth.
2. What violent acts between countries added to feelings of powerlessness and anxiety during the nineteenth century?
(a) Economic downturn.
3. What group was responsible for improving the economic position of the worker?
(b) Big business.
(c) Trade unions.
(d) The distant boss.
4. What is man's "biological weakness"?
(b) Human culture.
5. According to Fromm's animal kingdom analogy, why is man so helpless at birth?
(a) Man is disconnected from nature.
(b) Man relies on learning in order to adapt to nature.
(c) Man needs others to guide him.
(d) Man is disconnected from his fellow man.
6. What was a key factor to the changes taking place in Europe at the close of the Middle Ages?
(a) Economic change.
(b) Social change.
(c) Family structure changes.
(d) Religious change.
7. What did Luther teach about man?
(a) He is not free.
(b) He is an individual.
(c) He is moral.
(d) He is inherently corrupt.
8. What is often a negative result of man's freedom?
(b) There is no negative result.
9. What new economic system grew out of the Reformation?
(c) Working class domination.
10. In "Freedom-A Psychological Problem," how does Fromm define work?
(a) Work is anything man does for himself.
(b) Work is concrete and part of an economic system.
(c) Work is anything man does for the group.
(d) Work is whatever the individual wants it to be.
11. Who described the fearful individual as tormented by self-doubt?
12. Which great thinker does Fromm NOT credit in his book?
13. How has the role of the "boss" changed in the modern world?
(a) The boss works alongside his workers.
(b) The boss is more involved.
(c) The boss has a less personal role and is more anonymous.
(d) There is no boss.
14. What outlined most new freedoms of the Reformation?
(a) The arts.
(b) The wealthy class.
(c) The economy.
(d) Religious doctrines.
15. What biblical myth does Fromm reference?
(a) Joseph and his brothers.
(b) Moses receiving the Ten Commandments.
(c) Noah's Ark.
(d) Man's explusion from paradise.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a way in which a child grows during the individuation process?
2. What economic related problem led to feelings of individual powerlessness?
3. Why was medieval man in bondage?
4. What example does Fromm use to point out a contradiction of freedom?
5. What does Fromm identify as the main motive for human behavior?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)