|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which great thinker does Fromm NOT credit in his book?
2. What relationship connects oneself to the world without compromising individuality?
(a) Religion and society.
(b) Man and society.
(c) Work and family.
(d) Man and nature.
3. What is the name of Franz Kafka's work that Fromm references in his book?
(a) The Trial.
4. What social class found Lutheranism the most appealing?
(a) Lower Class.
(b) Middle Class.
(c) Upper Class.
5. Which of the following is NOT a way in which a child grows during the individuation process?
6. What social force does man rely on from others?
7. Who is the servant of capitalism?
(a) The church.
8. Why was medieval man in bondage?
(a) He was still bound by primary ties.
(b) He was bound to the church.
(c) He was not part of a group.
(d) He was not self-aware.
9. What forces does an individual need freedom from in order to be a free individual?
(a) Freedom from self and family.
(b) Freedom from thinking and self.
(c) Freedom from family and friends.
(d) Freedom from authority and outside constraints.
10. According to Freud, how is man best described?
11. What did the new wealthy class seek during the Renaissance?
12. Which writer recognized man's lust for power?
13. What does Fromm cite as an example of dynamic adaptation?
14. What new economic system grew out of the Reformation?
(a) Working class domination.
15. How has the role of the "boss" changed in the modern world?
(a) The boss is more involved.
(b) There is no boss.
(c) The boss has a less personal role and is more anonymous.
(d) The boss works alongside his workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time period did the process of individuation reach its peak?
2. Who described the fearful individual as tormented by self-doubt?
3. In "Freedom-A Psychological Problem," how does Fromm define work?
4. What does Fromm call the political freedoms associated with capitalism?
5. What economic related problem led to feelings of individual powerlessness?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)