|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Appendix: Character and the Social Process.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Fromm define selfishness?
(a) Being aware of one's self.
(b) Enjoying capitalism.
(c) Acting in one's self-interest.
(d) Ignoring others.
2. What does Fromm call the political freedoms associated with capitalism?
(a) Positive freedoms.
(b) Capitalistic freedoms.
(c) Monetary freedoms.
(d) Negative freedoms.
3. How did the Middle Ages support man's freedom?
(a) Man had an abundance of personal freedom.
(b) The Middle Ages were indifferent to freedom.
(c) Man had a lack of personal freedom.
(d) Personal freedom was reserved for the elite.
4. What does Fromm believe is the greatest assertion of individuality?
(a) Fighting for oppression was easier than fighting for freedom.
(b) Dying while fighting for your freedom.
(c) Fighting for freedom was not worth it.
(d) Fighting for oppression.
5. What psychological idea is destructiveness related to?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is often a negative result of man's freedom?
2. What psychological approach does Fromm use to study history?
3. Why does Fromm suggest analyzing psychological mechanisms in individuals?
4. What is "spontaneous" action?
5. What is a mutually beneficial relationship called?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)