|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Appendix: Character and the Social Process.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do sadists seek?
(a) They avoid dominance.
(b) They seek to dominate others.
(c) They seek submission.
(d) They seek to be dominated.
2. What practice does Fromm cite evidence that an individual's thoughts could be suggested by someone else?
(a) Electroshock therapy.
3. What does Fromm believe each individual is capable of expressing, as discussed in the chapter "Freedom and Democracy"?
(a) Expressing himself as an individual.
(b) Expressing himself as part of a group.
(c) Expressing a desire to mend primary ties.
(d) Expressing his sadomasochistic desires.
4. What economic related problem led to feelings of individual powerlessness?
(a) High taxes.
(c) Trade unions.
5. What did the social order provide individuals during the Middle Ages?
(d) Feelings of security and belonging.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do both societies and individuals possess that make them unique?
2. What is "original" thought?
3. What is one false theory about why the Nazis came to power?
4. What does Fromm believe is the greatest assertion of individuality?
5. What is an authoritarian character?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)