|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Appendix: Character and the Social Process.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group of people fought in battles for freedom, as identified by Fromm?
(a) The Middle Class.
(b) The church.
(c) The wealthy.
(d) The oppressed.
2. What happens when the political restraints that an individual has come to rely on are removed?
(a) People finally feel free and individual.
(b) The fear and isolation are made much worse.
(c) There is still fear, and isolated people find something new to depend on.
(d) The fear and isolation are completely eliminated.
3. Whose work about a ten-year-old child's awareness of self does Fromm reference?
(c) R. Hughes.
4. What does the social character influence?
(a) The democractic system.
(b) The social progress.
(c) The individual's desire for freedom.
(d) The economic process.
5. What does Fromm believe each individual is capable of expressing, as discussed in the chapter "Freedom and Democracy"?
(a) Expressing a desire to mend primary ties.
(b) Expressing himself as an individual.
(c) Expressing himself as part of a group.
(d) Expressing his sadomasochistic desires.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT mentioned as a possible consequence for dynamic adaptation?
2. What political ideology is reinforced by an authoritarian character?
3. What is the term Fromm uses to describe an individual act that does not compromise one's integrity?
4. What did man lose as a result of his new-found freedom during the Renaissance?
5. How does Fromm categorize the first group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)