|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Appendix: Character and the Social Process.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did man view himself and nature during the Renaissance?
(a) They were together.
(b) They relied on each other.
(c) They were separate.
(d) They were indifferent to one another.
2. What is automaton conformity?
(a) The practice of conforming to a hero.
(b) The practice of individuals becoming like everyone else.
(c) The practice of ignoring society.
(d) Conforming only to one's self.
3. Why was medieval man in bondage?
(a) He was bound to the church.
(b) He was not part of a group.
(c) He was not self-aware.
(d) He was still bound by primary ties.
4. What time period was marked by man's darkness and scheming?
(a) Industrial Revolution.
(b) The Renaissance.
(c) The Dark Ages.
(d) The Middle Ages.
5. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
(a) Ego and modesty.
(b) Fairness and greed.
(c) Individuality and freedom.
(d) Money and loyalty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What political and economic beliefs does Fromm wish to reconnect man with?
2. What political ideology is a historical example of authoritarian mechanism?
3. What cultural time period was Europe moving toward, following the Middle Ages?
4. According to Freud's "psychologistic" approach to understanding human culture, what image inspired early Christianity?
5. How did the Middle Ages support man's freedom?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)