|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Appendix: Character and the Social Process.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Fromm cite for the rise of authoritarian leaders like Hitler?
(a) These leaders were cunning and used trickery to get their way.
(b) These societies were lacking training in democracy.
(c) People were seeking ways to escape from the responsibility of freedom.
(d) These leaders were too forceful and its members could not resist.
2. What do masochists receive from their submissive acts?
3. Why was medieval man in bondage?
(a) He was not self-aware.
(b) He was still bound by primary ties.
(c) He was bound to the church.
(d) He was not part of a group.
4. According to Freud's "psychologistic" approach to understanding human culture, what image inspired early Christianity?
(a) Ambivalence toward the mother.
(b) Ambivalence toward the father.
(c) Love for the mother.
(d) Ambivalence toward society.
5. Who replaces the original self?
(a) The social self.
(b) The conforming self.
(c) The actual self.
(d) The pseudo self.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country did John Calvin's Protestant movement get started?
2. According to the Catholic Church, what corrupts man?
3. What tool developed out of the new capitalistic system that helped promote business?
4. What social structure does Fromm suggest should be part of the psychological aspect of society?
5. What is NOT mentioned as a possible consequence for dynamic adaptation?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)