|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Appendix: Character and the Social Process.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who must support the central bureaucracy in order for it to achieve its goal?
(a) The upper class of a given society.
(b) The middle class only.
(c) Both the lower and upper classes.
(d) All the people in a given society.
2. According to Freud's "psychologistic" approach to understanding human culture, what image inspired early Christianity?
(a) Ambivalence toward the mother.
(b) Ambivalence toward society.
(c) Love for the mother.
(d) Ambivalence toward the father.
3. What do sadists seek?
(a) They seek to dominate others.
(b) They seek to be dominated.
(c) They seek submission.
(d) They avoid dominance.
4. Who does the individual submit to when conforming?
(a) He does not submit.
(c) A powerful leader.
5. What time period did the process of individuation reach its peak?
(a) The Renaissance.
(b) Biblical times.
(c) The Middle Ages.
(d) The centuries between the Reformation and present day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do both societies and individuals possess that make them unique?
2. What social force does man rely on from others?
3. Fromm likens man's sin of eating the forbidden fruit to what act?
4. What is the term Fromm uses to describe an individual act that does not compromise one's integrity?
5. What did the lower, middle class of Nazi Germany do for a living?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)