|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Appendix: Character and the Social Process.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What political ideology did John Dewey discuss?
2. Fromm likens man's sin of eating the forbidden fruit to what act?
(a) An act of anger.
(b) An act of greed.
(c) An act of kindness.
(d) An act of freedom.
3. According to Calvin, what does leading a virtuous life alleviate?
4. In the chapter "Freedom and Democracy," how does a person develop individuality?
(a) Making the self the center of one's world.
(b) Making the self the center of society.
(c) Excluding the self from being the center of one's world.
(d) Making the self and others the center of one's world.
5. What changes in a child's relationship to society during the individuation process?
(a) The child becomes more separated from society.
(b) Society shuns the child.
(c) There is no change in this relationship.
(d) The child becomes more included in a group.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Fromm, why does sadism appear natural?
2. What goal does Fromm identify as the "abolition of external domination"?
3. What world event left Germany in financial ruin and ultimately fostered support for Hitler among the lower, middle class Germans?
4. What did the Church during the Middle Ages promise people who accepted guilt for their sins?
5. What factor became the greatest social influence during the Renaissance?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)