|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Appendix: Character and the Social Process.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the social function of education?
(a) Prepare the individual for the role he plays later in society.
(b) Make children understand rules.
(c) Prepare children to separate from society.
(d) Make children polite.
2. What social structure does Fromm suggest should be part of the psychological aspect of society?
3. What was a positive social aspect of the Middle Ages?
(b) Loss of self.
(c) Increased individual freedom.
4. What does Fromm argue that leads to man act destructively?
(a) Isolation and fear causes man to act destructively.
(b) Freedom causes man to act destructively.
(c) Capitalism causes man to act destructively.
(d) Participation in a group causes man to act destructively.
5. Who replaces the original self?
(a) The pseudo self.
(b) The actual self.
(c) The conforming self.
(d) The social self.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advantage do animals have over man when entering the world?
2. What factor became the greatest social influence during the Renaissance?
3. What is a consequence for man eating the forbidden fruit?
4. What changes in a child's relationship to society during the individuation process?
5. What word best describes the idea where man "strives for submission and domination"?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)