|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Appendix: Character and the Social Process.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the social order provide individuals during the Middle Ages?
(b) Feelings of security and belonging.
2. What is the original self?
(a) Self that thinks like the leader.
(b) Self that thinks like society.
(c) Self that originates its own mental activities.
(d) Self that does not think.
3. What does the social character influence?
(a) The democractic system.
(b) The economic process.
(c) The social progress.
(d) The individual's desire for freedom.
4. What is static adaptation?
(a) The habit is modified but not changed completely.
(b) The adoption of a new habit.
(c) Adaptation that requires no change.
(d) When an existing structure is only partially changed.
5. Which writer summarized Fromm's thoughts on isolation and powerlessness?
(b) Julian Green.
Short Answer Questions
1. What cultural time period was Europe moving toward, following the Middle Ages?
2. What goal does Fromm identify as the "abolition of external domination"?
3. What is the term Fromm uses to describe an individual act that does not compromise one's integrity?
4. What does Fromm believe is the greatest assertion of individuality?
5. What world event left Germany in financial ruin and ultimately fostered support for Hitler among the lower, middle class Germans?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)