|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Appendix: Character and the Social Process.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What social class found Lutheranism the most appealing?
(b) Middle Class.
(c) Lower Class.
(d) Upper Class.
2. What do masochistic people seek?
(a) They want to submit to a stronger person.
(b) They want to dominate a weaker person.
(c) They want to both submit and dominate.
(d) They want to dominate a stronger person.
3. What does Fromm cite as the psychological reason for Hitler and his followers' desire for sadomasochism?
(a) Man's desire for power.
(b) Society's need for submission.
(c) Increased social freedom.
(d) The isolation of man.
4. Who must support the central bureaucracy in order for it to achieve its goal?
(a) Both the lower and upper classes.
(b) The upper class of a given society.
(c) All the people in a given society.
(d) The middle class only.
5. Fromm likens man's sin of eating the forbidden fruit to what act?
(a) An act of anger.
(b) An act of kindness.
(c) An act of greed.
(d) An act of freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were individuals able to enjoy some expressive and emotional freedom during medieval times?
2. What does Fromm believe each individual is capable of expressing, as discussed in the chapter "Freedom and Democracy"?
3. How does Fromm categorize the second group of Germans who supported the Nazis?
4. What factor became the greatest social influence during the Renaissance?
5. What is man's "biological weakness"?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)