|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Appendix: Character and the Social Process.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fromm argue that leads to man act destructively?
(a) Capitalism causes man to act destructively.
(b) Isolation and fear causes man to act destructively.
(c) Participation in a group causes man to act destructively.
(d) Freedom causes man to act destructively.
2. What biblical myth does Fromm reference?
(a) Noah's Ark.
(b) Man's explusion from paradise.
(c) Moses receiving the Ten Commandments.
(d) Joseph and his brothers.
3. What group was responsible for improving the economic position of the worker?
(a) The distant boss.
(b) Big business.
(c) Trade unions.
4. What political tool was used to influence an individual who was voting?
(c) Political propaganda.
(d) Voting blocs.
5. What political and economic beliefs does Fromm wish to reconnect man with?
(a) Democratic principles and a planned economy.
(b) Marxism and a capitalistic economy.
(c) Communism and a socialist economy.
(d) Fascism and a market driven economy.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Calvin, what does leading a virtuous life alleviate?
2. Which great thinker does Fromm NOT credit in his book?
3. What is Fromm's theory about Hitler and the success of the Nazi party?
4. What do masochists receive from their submissive acts?
5. What independent business does Fromm reference as a model for the new middle class?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)