|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Freedom and Democracy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fromm believe each individual is capable of expressing, as discussed in the chapter "Freedom and Democracy"?
(a) Expressing himself as an individual.
(b) Expressing his sadomasochistic desires.
(c) Expressing a desire to mend primary ties.
(d) Expressing himself as part of a group.
2. Which of the following did man NOT have to face while living in Eden?
3. What is "pseudo-thinking"?
(a) Pretending to think.
(b) Unconscious repitition of other's opinions as our own.
(c) Pretending to act on a thought.
(d) Impulsive thoughts.
4. Which great thinker does Fromm NOT credit in his book?
5. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
(a) Money and loyalty.
(b) Fairness and greed.
(c) Individuality and freedom.
(d) Ego and modesty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fromm say increases a child's emotional state?
2. What did the Church during the Middle Ages promise people who accepted guilt for their sins?
3. What reason does Fromm cite for the rise of authoritarian leaders like Hitler?
4. Why did the first group of Germans who supported Hitler submit to the power of the Nazis?
5. What did Hitler's sadistic nature lead him to desire?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)