|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Freedom and Democracy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of character was familiar to the lower, middle class?
2. What assumptions about man are made that lead people to fear chaos if he acts only in accordance with himself?
(a) People assume man is bad and will act destructively.
(b) People assume man will make the best decisions, all the time.
(c) People assume man needs more freedom.
(d) People assume man will follow others.
3. What does Fromm call the political freedoms associated with capitalism?
(a) Monetary freedoms.
(b) Capitalistic freedoms.
(c) Negative freedoms.
(d) Positive freedoms.
4. Which great thinker does Fromm NOT credit in his book?
5. What German social class both submitted to Hitler and fully adopted his Nazi ideology?
(a) Upper class.
(b) Upper, middle class.
(c) Lower, middle class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do both societies and individuals possess that make them unique?
2. What forces does an individual need freedom from in order to be a free individual?
3. Why does Fromm suggest analyzing psychological mechanisms in individuals?
4. What circumstances directly affected a person's willingness to submit to an authoritarian like Hitler?
5. What weaknesses do sadists and masochists compensate for?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)