|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Aspects of Freedom for Modern Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Fromm's animal kingdom analogy, why is man so helpless at birth?
(a) Man is disconnected from his fellow man.
(b) Man relies on learning in order to adapt to nature.
(c) Man is disconnected from nature.
(d) Man needs others to guide him.
2. What was a key factor to the changes taking place in Europe at the close of the Middle Ages?
(a) Economic change.
(b) Family structure changes.
(c) Religious change.
(d) Social change.
3. Why did the middle class see an increase in white-collar workers?
(a) Political reform.
(b) Big business expansion.
(c) Increased education.
4. What did man lose as a result of his new-found freedom during the Renaissance?
(a) Loss of security.
(b) Loss of money.
(c) Loss of social class.
(d) Loss of family.
5. What feeling did the inflation in 1923 Germany and the American crash in 1929 create?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fromm identify as the main motive for human behavior?
2. What independent business does Fromm reference as a model for the new middle class?
3. What example does Fromm use to point out a contradiction of freedom?
4. What political tool was used to influence an individual who was voting?
5. Who described the fearful individual as tormented by self-doubt?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)