|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Aspects of Freedom for Modern Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What church dominated religion during the Middle Ages?
(a) The Catholic Church.
2. What is often a negative result of man's freedom?
(a) There is no negative result.
3. What advantage do animals have over man when entering the world?
(a) Animals have more freedoms.
(b) Animals are smarter.
(c) Animals are instinctual.
(d) Animals do not care about hierarchy.
4. What contradiction of freedom does Fromm discuss in his book?
(a) Man is more independent but also more isolated.
(b) Man has no increased isolation or independence.
(c) Man is equally isolated and independent.
(d) Man is more isolated but less independent.
5. What reason does Fromm cite for the rise of authoritarian leaders like Hitler?
(a) These leaders were cunning and used trickery to get their way.
(b) These societies were lacking training in democracy.
(c) People were seeking ways to escape from the responsibility of freedom.
(d) These leaders were too forceful and its members could not resist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose work about a ten-year-old child's awareness of self does Fromm reference?
2. According to the Catholic Church, what corrupts man?
3. What group of people fought in battles for freedom, as identified by Fromm?
4. What did the Church during the Middle Ages promise people who accepted guilt for their sins?
5. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)