|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Two Aspects of Freedom for Modern Man.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does man suffer from eating the forbidden fruit?
(a) He does not suffer.
(b) He feels greedy.
(c) He feels separated from nature and alone.
(d) He believes that what he did was wrong.
2. Why did the middle class see an increase in white-collar workers?
(b) Political reform.
(c) Big business expansion.
(d) Increased education.
3. What reason does Fromm cite for the rise of authoritarian leaders like Hitler?
(a) People were seeking ways to escape from the responsibility of freedom.
(b) These societies were lacking training in democracy.
(c) These leaders were cunning and used trickery to get their way.
(d) These leaders were too forceful and its members could not resist.
4. What drives man's struggle for self-promotion?
(c) The lack of love for one's self.
5. What does Fromm believe is the greatest assertion of individuality?
(a) Fighting for freedom was not worth it.
(b) Dying while fighting for your freedom.
(c) Fighting for oppression.
(d) Fighting for oppression was easier than fighting for freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Luther teach about man?
2. Fromm likens man's sin of eating the forbidden fruit to what act?
3. What example does Fromm use to point out a contradiction of freedom?
4. In the description of Emily's self-discovery, what did she examine when sitting on her perch?
5. What biblical myth does Fromm reference?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)