|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Emergence of the Individual and the Ambiguity of Freedom.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What changes in a child's relationship to society during the individuation process?
(a) There is no change in this relationship.
(b) The child becomes more separated from society.
(c) The child becomes more included in a group.
(d) Society shuns the child.
2. In the description of Emily's self-discovery, what did she examine when sitting on her perch?
(a) The wind ruffling the tree branches.
(b) The clouds above her.
(c) The skin of her hands.
(d) Her head.
3. Why is man unable to to realize his individuality when discovering his freedom?
(a) He feels too guilty.
(b) He is unaware of the power of his actions.
(c) He is unable to govern himself.
(d) He does not care about his individuality.
4. What is often a negative result of man's freedom?
(d) There is no negative result.
5. Which of the following is NOT a way in which a child grows during the individuation process?
Short Answer Questions
1. Fromm likens man's sin of eating the forbidden fruit to what act?
2. What does Fromm say increases a child's emotional state?
3. What happens to primary ties once they are cut?
4. What is static adaptation?
5. What war do many consider to be ultimate victory for freedom, according to Fromm?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)