|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Emergence of the Individual and the Ambiguity of Freedom.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What psychological behavior was the main theme of Hitler's ideology?
(c) Empathy for others.
2. What time period did the process of individuation reach its peak?
(a) The centuries between the Reformation and present day.
(b) The Middle Ages.
(c) The Renaissance.
(d) Biblical times.
3. What group of people fought in battles for freedom, as identified by Fromm?
(a) The church.
(b) The Middle Class.
(c) The wealthy.
(d) The oppressed.
4. What reason does Fromm cite for the rise of authoritarian leaders like Hitler?
(a) These leaders were too forceful and its members could not resist.
(b) People were seeking ways to escape from the responsibility of freedom.
(c) These leaders were cunning and used trickery to get their way.
(d) These societies were lacking training in democracy.
5. What changes in a child's relationship to society during the individuation process?
(a) The child becomes more included in a group.
(b) There is no change in this relationship.
(c) Society shuns the child.
(d) The child becomes more separated from society.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Freedom-A Psychological Problem," how does Fromm define work?
2. What social force does man rely on from others?
3. Who accompanied Robinson Crusoe on his adventures?
4. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
5. According to Fromm's animal kingdom analogy, why is man so helpless at birth?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)