|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Emergence of the Individual and the Ambiguity of Freedom.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT mentioned as a possible consequence for dynamic adaptation?
2. In "Freedom-A Psychological Problem," how does Fromm define work?
(a) Work is whatever the individual wants it to be.
(b) Work is concrete and part of an economic system.
(c) Work is anything man does for himself.
(d) Work is anything man does for the group.
3. What changes in a child's relationship to society during the individuation process?
(a) Society shuns the child.
(b) The child becomes more separated from society.
(c) There is no change in this relationship.
(d) The child becomes more included in a group.
4. Which of the following is NOT a way in which a child grows during the individuation process?
5. What goal does Fromm identify as the "abolition of external domination"?
(a) A harmonious society.
(b) Freedom for the group.
(c) Obedience to a leader.
(d) Freedom of the individual.
Short Answer Questions
1. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
2. According to Freud, how is man best described?
3. Whose work about a ten-year-old child's awareness of self does Fromm reference?
4. What does Fromm identify as the main motive for human behavior?
5. What does Fromm say increases a child's emotional state?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)