|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Emergence of the Individual and the Ambiguity of Freedom.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What goal does Fromm identify as the "abolition of external domination"?
(a) A harmonious society.
(b) Freedom of the individual.
(c) Freedom for the group.
(d) Obedience to a leader.
2. What develops as a child grows and primary ties are cut?
(a) The desire for freedom and independence decreases.
(b) The desire for freedom and independence remains unchanged.
(c) The desire for freedom and independence increases.
(d) There is no correlation.
3. Why does an individual adapt to a new situation and habit?
(a) They adapt to a new situation out of necessity to a situation.
(b) They adapt to a situation out of choice.
(c) They adapt whn an old habit is broken in favor of a new one.
(d) They adapt when a new habit cannot be formed.
4. What is individuation?
(a) A time when an individual gives up his individuality.
(b) When an individual loses his identity to the group.
(c) The process by which the group singles out an individual.
(d) The growing process of the individual.
5. What is man's "biological weakness"?
(c) Human culture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new economic system grew out of the Reformation?
2. What is often a negative result of man's freedom?
3. What changes in a child's relationship to society during the individuation process?
4. What group of people fought in battles for freedom, as identified by Fromm?
5. What advantage do animals have over man when entering the world?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)