|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Emergence of the Individual and the Ambiguity of Freedom.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does man suffer from eating the forbidden fruit?
(a) He does not suffer.
(b) He believes that what he did was wrong.
(c) He feels separated from nature and alone.
(d) He feels greedy.
2. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
(a) Ego and modesty.
(b) Fairness and greed.
(c) Individuality and freedom.
(d) Money and loyalty.
3. Why is man unable to to realize his individuality when discovering his freedom?
(a) He is unaware of the power of his actions.
(b) He is unable to govern himself.
(c) He feels too guilty.
(d) He does not care about his individuality.
4. What is man's "biological weakness"?
(c) Human culture.
5. Why does an individual adapt to a new situation and habit?
(a) They adapt whn an old habit is broken in favor of a new one.
(b) They adapt to a new situation out of necessity to a situation.
(c) They adapt to a situation out of choice.
(d) They adapt when a new habit cannot be formed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What goal does Fromm identify as the "abolition of external domination"?
2. Which great thinker does Fromm NOT credit in his book?
3. What time period did the process of individuation reach its peak?
4. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
5. What is static adaptation?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)