|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Emergence of the Individual and the Ambiguity of Freedom.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What social force does man rely on from others?
2. What psychological behavior was the main theme of Hitler's ideology?
(c) Empathy for others.
3. What time period was marked by man's darkness and scheming?
(a) Industrial Revolution.
(b) The Renaissance.
(c) The Dark Ages.
(d) The Middle Ages.
4. Why would Fromm view the action of man eating the forbidden fruit as a positive act?
(a) Man took a risk.
(b) Man took a step toward becoming an individual.
(c) Man fought against nature.
(d) Man separated himself from woman.
5. What is individuation?
(a) The process by which the group singles out an individual.
(b) The growing process of the individual.
(c) A time when an individual gives up his individuality.
(d) When an individual loses his identity to the group.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fromm believe is the greatest assertion of individuality?
2. Fromm likens man's sin of eating the forbidden fruit to what act?
3. When are fears most likely to be flexible?
4. What develops as a child grows and primary ties are cut?
5. What reason does Fromm cite for the rise of authoritarian leaders like Hitler?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)