|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Emergence of the Individual and the Ambiguity of Freedom.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose work about a ten-year-old child's awareness of self does Fromm reference?
(b) R. Hughes.
2. In the description of Emily's self-discovery, what did she examine when sitting on her perch?
(a) Her head.
(b) The wind ruffling the tree branches.
(c) The skin of her hands.
(d) The clouds above her.
3. What is individuation?
(a) When an individual loses his identity to the group.
(b) A time when an individual gives up his individuality.
(c) The growing process of the individual.
(d) The process by which the group singles out an individual.
4. What does Fromm say increases a child's emotional state?
5. Why does man suffer from eating the forbidden fruit?
(a) He believes that what he did was wrong.
(b) He feels greedy.
(c) He does not suffer.
(d) He feels separated from nature and alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Freud, how is man best described?
2. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
3. What psychological behavior was the main theme of Hitler's ideology?
4. Why is man unable to to realize his individuality when discovering his freedom?
5. According to Fromm's animal kingdom analogy, why is man so helpless at birth?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)