|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Emergence of the Individual and the Ambiguity of Freedom.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a way in which a child grows during the individuation process?
2. Who accompanied Robinson Crusoe on his adventures?
(d) No one.
3. What happens to primary ties once they are cut?
(a) They can be mended if man gives up his freedom.
(b) They become secondary ties.
(c) Primary ties cannot be cut.
(d) They cannot be mended.
4. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
(a) Fairness and greed.
(b) Individuality and freedom.
(c) Money and loyalty.
(d) Ego and modesty.
5. Why is man unable to to realize his individuality when discovering his freedom?
(a) He is unable to govern himself.
(b) He feels too guilty.
(c) He is unaware of the power of his actions.
(d) He does not care about his individuality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
2. According to Freud, how is man best described?
3. Fromm likens man's sin of eating the forbidden fruit to what act?
4. What time period did the process of individuation reach its peak?
5. In "Freedom-A Psychological Problem," how does Fromm define work?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)