|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Emergence of the Individual and the Ambiguity of Freedom.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time period was marked by man's darkness and scheming?
(a) The Dark Ages.
(b) The Renaissance.
(c) Industrial Revolution.
(d) The Middle Ages.
2. What advantage do animals have over man when entering the world?
(a) Animals have more freedoms.
(b) Animals are instinctual.
(c) Animals do not care about hierarchy.
(d) Animals are smarter.
3. What is man's "biological weakness"?
(d) Human culture.
4. Fromm likens man's sin of eating the forbidden fruit to what act?
(a) An act of freedom.
(b) An act of greed.
(c) An act of anger.
(d) An act of kindness.
5. Which of the following does Fromm NOT mention when discussing the definition of freedom?
(a) Freedom is easily attained.
(b) Freedom is the absence of pressure.
(c) Freedom can be a threat.
(d) For some, freedom is cherished.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is man unable to to realize his individuality when discovering his freedom?
2. What reason does Fromm cite for the rise of authoritarian leaders like Hitler?
3. What changes in a child's relationship to society during the individuation process?
4. What is static adaptation?
5. Why does an individual adapt to a new situation and habit?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)