|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Emergence of the Individual and the Ambiguity of Freedom.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
(a) Social psychological.
2. According to Fromm's animal kingdom analogy, why is man so helpless at birth?
(a) Man is disconnected from nature.
(b) Man is disconnected from his fellow man.
(c) Man relies on learning in order to adapt to nature.
(d) Man needs others to guide him.
3. What war do many consider to be ultimate victory for freedom, according to Fromm?
(a) The French Revolution.
(b) World War II.
(c) The American Revolution.
(d) World War I.
4. Whose work about a ten-year-old child's awareness of self does Fromm reference?
(b) R. Hughes.
5. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
(a) Ego and modesty.
(b) Money and loyalty.
(c) Fairness and greed.
(d) Individuality and freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is individuation?
2. What develops as a child grows and primary ties are cut?
3. According to Freud, how is man best described?
4. Who accompanied Robinson Crusoe on his adventures?
5. Who described moral isolation in "The Inventor's Suffering"?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)