|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Emergence of the Individual and the Ambiguity of Freedom.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does an individual adapt to a new situation and habit?
(a) They adapt to a new situation out of necessity to a situation.
(b) They adapt whn an old habit is broken in favor of a new one.
(c) They adapt when a new habit cannot be formed.
(d) They adapt to a situation out of choice.
2. According to Fromm's animal kingdom analogy, why is man so helpless at birth?
(a) Man needs others to guide him.
(b) Man is disconnected from his fellow man.
(c) Man relies on learning in order to adapt to nature.
(d) Man is disconnected from nature.
3. Why would Fromm view the action of man eating the forbidden fruit as a positive act?
(a) Man separated himself from woman.
(b) Man took a risk.
(c) Man fought against nature.
(d) Man took a step toward becoming an individual.
4. What is a consequence for man eating the forbidden fruit?
(a) There is discord between man and nature.
(b) Man lost his family.
(c) Man is at peace with nature.
(d) Man lost freedom.
5. What time period did the process of individuation reach its peak?
(a) The Middle Ages.
(b) Biblical times.
(c) The Renaissance.
(d) The centuries between the Reformation and present day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which writer recognized man's lust for power?
2. Which of the following is NOT a way in which a child grows during the individuation process?
3. What psychological behavior was the main theme of Hitler's ideology?
4. What time period was marked by man's darkness and scheming?
5. What happens to primary ties once they are cut?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)