|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Emergence of the Individual and the Ambiguity of Freedom.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What develops as a child grows and primary ties are cut?
(a) There is no correlation.
(b) The desire for freedom and independence remains unchanged.
(c) The desire for freedom and independence increases.
(d) The desire for freedom and independence decreases.
2. What war do many consider to be ultimate victory for freedom, according to Fromm?
(a) The French Revolution.
(b) World War I.
(c) The American Revolution.
(d) World War II.
3. What is often a negative result of man's freedom?
(a) There is no negative result.
4. Why would Fromm view the action of man eating the forbidden fruit as a positive act?
(a) Man took a step toward becoming an individual.
(b) Man fought against nature.
(c) Man took a risk.
(d) Man separated himself from woman.
5. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
(a) Money and loyalty.
(b) Ego and modesty.
(c) Individuality and freedom.
(d) Fairness and greed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fromm cite as an example of dynamic adaptation?
2. What does Fromm identify as the main motive for human behavior?
3. In the description of Emily's self-discovery, what did she examine when sitting on her perch?
4. According to Fromm's animal kingdom analogy, why is man so helpless at birth?
5. What relationship connects oneself to the world without compromising individuality?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)