|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Emergence of the Individual and the Ambiguity of Freedom.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Fromm's animal kingdom analogy, why is man so helpless at birth?
(a) Man needs others to guide him.
(b) Man relies on learning in order to adapt to nature.
(c) Man is disconnected from nature.
(d) Man is disconnected from his fellow man.
2. What does Fromm believe is the greatest assertion of individuality?
(a) Fighting for oppression.
(b) Fighting for oppression was easier than fighting for freedom.
(c) Dying while fighting for your freedom.
(d) Fighting for freedom was not worth it.
3. What is individuation?
(a) When an individual loses his identity to the group.
(b) The growing process of the individual.
(c) A time when an individual gives up his individuality.
(d) The process by which the group singles out an individual.
4. What group of people fought in battles for freedom, as identified by Fromm?
(a) The oppressed.
(b) The church.
(c) The Middle Class.
(d) The wealthy.
5. What does Fromm say increases a child's emotional state?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT mentioned as a possible consequence for dynamic adaptation?
2. What new economic system grew out of the Reformation?
3. What does Fromm identify as the main motive for human behavior?
4. Why is man unable to to realize his individuality when discovering his freedom?
5. Which writer recognized man's lust for power?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)