|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Emergence of the Individual and the Ambiguity of Freedom.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the description of Emily's self-discovery, what did she examine when sitting on her perch?
(a) The wind ruffling the tree branches.
(b) Her head.
(c) The skin of her hands.
(d) The clouds above her.
2. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
(a) Individuality and freedom.
(b) Ego and modesty.
(c) Fairness and greed.
(d) Money and loyalty.
3. What psychological behavior was the main theme of Hitler's ideology?
(a) Empathy for others.
4. According to Fromm's animal kingdom analogy, why is man so helpless at birth?
(a) Man relies on learning in order to adapt to nature.
(b) Man is disconnected from his fellow man.
(c) Man needs others to guide him.
(d) Man is disconnected from nature.
5. Which writer recognized man's lust for power?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is man's "biological weakness"?
2. What does Fromm say increases a child's emotional state?
3. What outlined most new freedoms of the Reformation?
4. Whose work about a ten-year-old child's awareness of self does Fromm reference?
5. What is static adaptation?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)