|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Emergence of the Individual and the Ambiguity of Freedom.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT mentioned as a possible consequence for dynamic adaptation?
2. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
(c) Social psychological.
3. Why is man unable to to realize his individuality when discovering his freedom?
(a) He is unaware of the power of his actions.
(b) He is unable to govern himself.
(c) He feels too guilty.
(d) He does not care about his individuality.
4. What happens to primary ties once they are cut?
(a) They can be mended if man gives up his freedom.
(b) Primary ties cannot be cut.
(c) They cannot be mended.
(d) They become secondary ties.
5. According to Fromm's animal kingdom analogy, why is man so helpless at birth?
(a) Man relies on learning in order to adapt to nature.
(b) Man is disconnected from nature.
(c) Man is disconnected from his fellow man.
(d) Man needs others to guide him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Freedom-A Psychological Problem," how does Fromm define work?
2. What war do many consider to be ultimate victory for freedom, according to Fromm?
3. What is often a negative result of man's freedom?
4. According to Freud, how is man best described?
5. When are fears most likely to be flexible?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)