|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Emergence of the Individual and the Ambiguity of Freedom.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Fromm's animal kingdom analogy, why is man so helpless at birth?
(a) Man is disconnected from nature.
(b) Man is disconnected from his fellow man.
(c) Man needs others to guide him.
(d) Man relies on learning in order to adapt to nature.
2. What is a consequence for man eating the forbidden fruit?
(a) There is discord between man and nature.
(b) Man lost his family.
(c) Man is at peace with nature.
(d) Man lost freedom.
3. What does Fromm identify as the main motive for human behavior?
(b) Individual freedom.
(c) Group belonging.
4. Which writer recognized man's lust for power?
5. Which of the following does Fromm NOT mention when discussing the definition of freedom?
(a) Freedom can be a threat.
(b) Freedom is the absence of pressure.
(c) Freedom is easily attained.
(d) For some, freedom is cherished.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is man's "biological weakness"?
2. Which of the following did man NOT have to face while living in Eden?
3. What does Fromm believe is the greatest assertion of individuality?
4. What is static adaptation?
5. Whose work about a ten-year-old child's awareness of self does Fromm reference?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)