|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Emergence of the Individual and the Ambiguity of Freedom.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fromm likens man's sin of eating the forbidden fruit to what act?
(a) An act of greed.
(b) An act of anger.
(c) An act of freedom.
(d) An act of kindness.
2. What happens to primary ties once they are cut?
(a) Primary ties cannot be cut.
(b) They become secondary ties.
(c) They can be mended if man gives up his freedom.
(d) They cannot be mended.
3. What is man's "biological weakness"?
(d) Human culture.
4. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
(a) Money and loyalty.
(b) Fairness and greed.
(c) Individuality and freedom.
(d) Ego and modesty.
5. Which of the following did man NOT have to face while living in Eden?
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes in a child's relationship to society during the individuation process?
2. What does Fromm identify as the main motive for human behavior?
3. What is individuation?
4. What goal does Fromm identify as the "abolition of external domination"?
5. Which of the following does Fromm NOT mention when discussing the definition of freedom?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)