|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Emergence of the Individual and the Ambiguity of Freedom.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time period was marked by man's darkness and scheming?
(a) The Renaissance.
(b) The Middle Ages.
(c) The Dark Ages.
(d) Industrial Revolution.
2. Which of the following does Fromm NOT mention when discussing the definition of freedom?
(a) Freedom is the absence of pressure.
(b) Freedom can be a threat.
(c) Freedom is easily attained.
(d) For some, freedom is cherished.
3. What is static adaptation?
(a) When an existing structure is only partially changed.
(b) The habit is modified but not changed completely.
(c) The adoption of a new habit.
(d) Adaptation that requires no change.
4. In "Freedom-A Psychological Problem," how does Fromm define work?
(a) Work is anything man does for himself.
(b) Work is anything man does for the group.
(c) Work is whatever the individual wants it to be.
(d) Work is concrete and part of an economic system.
5. Why is man unable to to realize his individuality when discovering his freedom?
(a) He does not care about his individuality.
(b) He feels too guilty.
(c) He is unaware of the power of his actions.
(d) He is unable to govern himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose work about a ten-year-old child's awareness of self does Fromm reference?
2. What group of people fought in battles for freedom, as identified by Fromm?
3. When are fears most likely to be flexible?
4. Which writer recognized man's lust for power?
5. What goal does Fromm identify as the "abolition of external domination"?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)