|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Freedom and Democracy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What contradiction of freedom does Fromm discuss in his book?
(a) Man has no increased isolation or independence.
(b) Man is more isolated but less independent.
(c) Man is equally isolated and independent.
(d) Man is more independent but also more isolated.
2. Which of the following does Fromm NOT mention when discussing the definition of freedom?
(a) Freedom can be a threat.
(b) For some, freedom is cherished.
(c) Freedom is easily attained.
(d) Freedom is the absence of pressure.
3. What political and economic beliefs does Fromm wish to reconnect man with?
(a) Communism and a socialist economy.
(b) Marxism and a capitalistic economy.
(c) Democratic principles and a planned economy.
(d) Fascism and a market driven economy.
4. What did the Church during the Middle Ages promise people who accepted guilt for their sins?
(a) Disdain for sin.
(b) Forgiveness and unconditional love.
(c) The church promised wealth.
(d) The church did not do anything.
5. What is the original self?
(a) Self that thinks like society.
(b) Self that does not think.
(c) Self that thinks like the leader.
(d) Self that originates its own mental activities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term Fromm uses to describe an individual act that does not compromise one's integrity?
2. How did the Middle Ages support man's freedom?
3. What weaknesses do sadists and masochists compensate for?
4. What time period did the process of individuation reach its peak?
5. What did the new wealthy class seek during the Renaissance?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)