|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Freedom and Democracy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What psychological idea is destructiveness related to?
2. What examples does Fromm cite in the chapter "Freedom and Democracy" of how a democratic society limits individuals?
(a) Education and child-rearing.
(b) Laws and social norms.
(c) Education and employment.
(d) Employment and child-rearing.
3. What psychological approach did Fromm take with his work?
(b) Social psychological.
4. What changes in a child's relationship to society during the individuation process?
(a) The child becomes more included in a group.
(b) The child becomes more separated from society.
(c) There is no change in this relationship.
(d) Society shuns the child.
5. What reason does Fromm cite for the rise of authoritarian leaders like Hitler?
(a) People were seeking ways to escape from the responsibility of freedom.
(b) These societies were lacking training in democracy.
(c) These leaders were cunning and used trickery to get their way.
(d) These leaders were too forceful and its members could not resist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which writer summarized Fromm's thoughts on isolation and powerlessness?
2. What psychological behavior was the main theme of Hitler's ideology?
3. What feeling did the inflation in 1923 Germany and the American crash in 1929 create?
4. Whose work about a ten-year-old child's awareness of self does Fromm reference?
5. What does Fromm argue that leads to man act destructively?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)