|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Freedom and Democracy.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do masochistic people seek?
(a) They want to both submit and dominate.
(b) They want to dominate a weaker person.
(c) They want to dominate a stronger person.
(d) They want to submit to a stronger person.
2. What does Fromm identify as the main motive for human behavior?
(c) Individual freedom.
(d) Group belonging.
3. Prior to World War I, who was the lower, middle class obedient to?
(a) German monarchy.
(b) President of the United States.
(c) They were not obedient to anyone yet.
(d) German chancellor.
4. What social class found Lutheranism the most appealing?
(a) Upper Class.
(c) Middle Class.
(d) Lower Class.
5. Why were individuals able to enjoy some expressive and emotional freedom during medieval times?
(a) They did not have any freedom whastoever.
(b) The freedom was given to them by the church.
(c) They knew their exact place in the social order.
(d) They fought for this freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did capitalism change the role of individuals?
2. What practice does Fromm cite evidence that an individual's thoughts could be suggested by someone else?
3. According to Fromm, what competing forces does man struggle with?
4. What does Fromm argue that leads to man act destructively?
5. What did the Church during the Middle Ages promise people who accepted guilt for their sins?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)