* Modern European and American histories are focused around efforts to gain freedom.
* The battles for freedom are often fought by the oppressed.
* Freedom has won several battles and many have died in the struggle against oppression.
* Freedom is a burden for the individual.
* Individuals have a desire to be free from domination.
* Achieving independence makes individuals aware that freedom is a kind of isolation.
* Man does not wish to be isolated.
* Man has a simple desire to be part of a society and belong with others.
* There are competing forces inside man to be free and also be part of a group.
* The manner in which the individual deals with these competing forces defines a person.
* Characters of individuals join forces to create a social character.
* Individuals are not always aware of these competing forces inside themselves.
* Fromm thinks people may not even...
This section contains 1,450 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)