Freedom - A Psychological Problem?
• Modern European and American histories are focused around efforts to gain freedom.
• The battles for freedom are often fought by the oppressed.
• Freedom has won several battles and many have died in the struggle against oppression.
• Freedom is a burden for the individual.
• Individuals have a desire to be free from domination.
• Achieving independence makes individuals aware that freedom is a kind of isolation.
• Man does not wish to be isolated.
• Man has a simple desire to be part of a society and belong with others.
• There are competing forces inside man to be free and also be part of a group.
• The manner in which the individual deals with these competing forces defines a person.
• Characters of individuals join forces to create a social character.
• Individuals are not always aware of these competing forces inside themselves.
• Fromm thinks people may not...
This section contains 1,458 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)