|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Lisette, one of the quiet children in the room, in October?
2. What did classroom management require as Mrs. Zajac practiced it?
3. What happened to a young substitute who came to Kelly School for the first time?
4. While Pam was teaching the class, who was disruptive and threatened to punch her?
5. How long did it take Mrs. Zajac to learn her students' names?
Short Essay Questions
1. What subject did Mrs. Zajac's students have on Wednesday afternoons? How was the behavior in the classroom different from other times as the students prepared their Halloween project?
2. What is the concept of "dual captivity"?
3. How did the students respond to Miss Hunt's leaving the class once her student teaching time was over? How did Mrs. Zajac respond? Which students surprised Mrs. Zajac when they were sad to see Miss Hunt go?
4. What kind of parent participation did Mrs. Zajac receive from her students' families? How did she respond to this situation?
5. Why did Clarence immediately catch Mrs. Zajac's eye? What were some of his behaviors in the classroom? What did she and her student teacher Miss Hunt notice about Clarence?
6. What were the specific goals Mrs. Zajac had for all of her students in the fifth grade? Why did she consider these goals important?
7. What were Mrs. Zajac's concerns about Pedro? What was his behavior like in class? What plan did she come up with learn more about Pedro?
8. What were the work conditions for female teachers of the late 19th and 20th centuries?
9. What were the demographics of Kelly School? Were they in line with the demographics of the community? What else do we know about the families attending Kelly School?
10. How did the fifth grade class celebrate the Christmas break? What did Mrs. Zajac give each child as a Christmas gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Hunt was the student teacher for sixteen weeks in the beginning of the school year. What suggestions did Mrs. Zajac give Miss Hunt as she prepared to go out into the world and teach? Why was each suggestion an important one?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book when school is over, Mrs. Zajac described Clarence and Robert as "my failures." Do you agree that Mrs. Zajac had failed these two students? Defend your position.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the qualities of a good teacher that Kidder presents through the teacher Mrs. Zajac? Are there any overarching qualities necessary to be a good teacher in Kidder's opinion? What are they and why does he believe those qualities to be important?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)