|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mrs. Zajac recite the rosary at night?
2. What are "cumes"?
3. Who were the two children in her class Mrs. Zajac imagined bringing home to live with her?
4. What did Mrs. Zajac say was the important thing Judith and Alice had in common?
5. What grade was Mrs. Zajac's son in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the fifth grade class celebrate the Christmas break? What did Mrs. Zajac give each child as a Christmas gift?
2. What were the work conditions for female teachers of the late 19th and 20th centuries?
3. What is the subject of Kidder's story? Is it fiction or non-fiction? How does he go about learning about his subject?
4. What were some of the tips Mrs. Zajac gives Pam Hunt before her three days teaching in the classroom alone?
5. In the first chapter, what does the reader learn about Mrs. Zajac? How old is she? How long has she been a teacher? Does she have a family?
6. What are "cume" folders? Why do teachers have them? What goes into them? How does Mrs. Zajac use the cumes and why?
7. What is the concept of "dual captivity"?
8. Why did Clarence immediately catch Mrs. Zajac's eye? What were some of his behaviors in the classroom? What did she and her student teacher Miss Hunt notice about Clarence?
9. Why were Fridays good days in Mrs. Zajac's fifth grade class? How did they compare to Mondays?
10. Why did Mrs. Zajac allow her students to choose their own desks on the first day of school? What message did she want to send to her students? What did she learn about the children by allowing them their choice of seats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kelly School was the setting for this book. Where was the school? What information did the author give about the history of the school? About the physical plant of the school? What was the ethnic make up of the school? Could this book have been set in a different school in a different city? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What does the term "dual captivity" mean? How does it apply to public education?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three of the children in Mrs. Zajac's fifth grade. How are the children similar? How are they different? Include social skills, cultural differences, levels of intelligence, family backgrounds.
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)