|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Clarence say on his way out of his after-school meeting with Mrs. Zajac on Friday afternoon?
2. What game did Mrs. Zajac invent in order to get her students' attention in math one day?
3. Where had Mrs. Zajac done her student teaching?
4. What did Mrs. Zajac want to come back as in her next life?
5. What did Mrs. Zajac tell her students to think when they hand in their work to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are "cume" folders? Why do teachers have them? What goes into them? How does Mrs. Zajac use the cumes and why?
2. How did Mrs. Zajac begin her school day? What did she teach in the mornings? Why was this a challenge?
3. What subject did Mrs. Zajac's students have on Wednesday afternoons? How was the behavior in the classroom different from other times as the students prepared their Halloween project?
4. Why did Mrs. Zajac allow her students to choose their own desks on the first day of school? What message did she want to send to her students? What did she learn about the children by allowing them their choice of seats?
5. What were the demographics of Kelly School? Were they in line with the demographics of the community? What else do we know about the families attending Kelly School?
6. Clarence continued to be a concern in Mrs. Zajac's class. What kinds of things did Clarence do that were of concern to Mrs. Zajac? How did these behaviors contrast with others in the classroom?
7. What were the work conditions for female teachers of the late 19th and 20th centuries?
8. How did the students respond to Miss Hunt's leaving the class once her student teaching time was over? How did Mrs. Zajac respond? Which students surprised Mrs. Zajac when they were sad to see Miss Hunt go?
9. In the first chapter, what does the reader learn about Mrs. Zajac? How old is she? How long has she been a teacher? Does she have a family?
10. What were Mrs. Zajac's concerns about Pedro? What was his behavior like in class? What plan did she come up with learn more about Pedro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the book when school is over, Mrs. Zajac described Clarence and Robert as "my failures." Do you agree that Mrs. Zajac had failed these two students? Defend your position.
Essay Topic 2
At the Science Fair, Mrs. Zajac decided to speak to Al about rethinking the fair because it may not be appropriate for Kelly School. Later, when she saw the disappointment and frustration of the students who did not receive an award, she told herself to remember to give all students awards next time. Why did she think a science fair might not be appropriate for the school? Explain how Mrs. Zajac could feel both things simultaneously. What does this say about her as a teacher?
Essay Topic 3
Kelly School was the setting for this book. Where was the school? What information did the author give about the history of the school? About the physical plant of the school? What was the ethnic make up of the school? Could this book have been set in a different school in a different city? Why?
This section contains 1,378 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)