|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mrs. Zajac learn about Clarence during the Pledge to Allegiance?
2. What were the other subjects students had in the afternoons in Mrs. Zajac's class?
3. What did the principal of Kelly School identify as one of his better skills?
4. What did Judith do when she had finished her classwork and had extra time?
5. What was the last sharp ethnic division left in Holyoke when Mrs. Zajac was teaching?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Clarence immediately catch Mrs. Zajac's eye? What were some of his behaviors in the classroom? What did she and her student teacher Miss Hunt notice about Clarence?
2. What are some of the frustrations teachers teaching today face?
3. What was Mrs. Zajac's favorite saying, or mantra, to her students? What does she want her students to understand about learning?
4. What is the subject of Kidder's story? Is it fiction or non-fiction? How does he go about learning about his subject?
5. How did Clarence's behavior change in the first three days of school? What was Mrs. Zajac's reaction? What were Clarence's consequences for his behavior? What does Mrs. Zajac finally decide to do?
6. Where was Mrs. Zajac born, and where did she grow up? What did her father do for a living? What was a unique quality about the town in which she was born?
7. How did the fifth grade class celebrate the Christmas break? What did Mrs. Zajac give each child as a Christmas gift?
8. What were the work conditions for female teachers of the late 19th and 20th centuries?
9. What were the specific goals Mrs. Zajac had for all of her students in the fifth grade? Why did she consider these goals important?
10. What were the demographics of Kelly School? Were they in line with the demographics of the community? What else do we know about the families attending Kelly School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the Science Fair, Mrs. Zajac decided to speak to Al about rethinking the fair because it may not be appropriate for Kelly School. Later, when she saw the disappointment and frustration of the students who did not receive an award, she told herself to remember to give all students awards next time. Why did she think a science fair might not be appropriate for the school? Explain how Mrs. Zajac could feel both things simultaneously. What does this say about her as a teacher?
Essay Topic 2
What does the term "dual captivity" mean? How does it apply to public education?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Mrs. Zajac and her student teacher Miss Hunt. Are there traits they share in common? What are some of the ways the two women contrast each other.
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)