|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word did Manny call out in class that caused Mrs. Zajac to bop him on the top of his head with paper?
2. What was unusual about Pedro's uncle who lived with him?
3. What did Pedro's mother write on the bottom of his permission slip for the core evaluation?
4. What did Mrs. Zajac want to come back as in her next life?
5. What happened to the Flats in the 1980's?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and where did Mrs. Zajac have time to grade her social studies papers? What trend did Mrs. Zajac see in her students' performance? Who in particular had made real strides in class and homework? Who had not done so well?
2. What happened in the 1970's to the town of Holyoke? How did this affect the town and its economy? What plans did the state and local governments come up with to renew Holyoke?
3. What were some of the tips Mrs. Zajac gives Pam Hunt before her three days teaching in the classroom alone?
4. Where did Mrs. Zajac take her class on a field trip? Why did she choose this place for the children to see? Why was this trip especially important to Judith and Arabella?
5. Why were Fridays good days in Mrs. Zajac's fifth grade class? How did they compare to Mondays?
6. Why did Mrs. Zajac allow her students to choose their own desks on the first day of school? What message did she want to send to her students? What did she learn about the children by allowing them their choice of seats?
7. When was the science fair at Kelly School? Why was this event important to the students and their families?
8. To what church did Mrs. Zajac belong for all of her life? Why was this? What did Mrs. Zajac enjoy about her church?
9. What was math class like for Mrs. Zajac? Why did they provide a particular challenge for her? How did she meet the challenge?
10. What kinds of behavior did Robert exhibit that concerned Mrs. Zajac? What did she want Robert's mother to do? Did Robert's mother follow through with this suggestion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following quote and its relevance to the book:
"Teachers usually have no way of knowing that they have made a difference in a child's life, even when they have made a dramatic one. But for children who are used to thinking of themselves as stupid or not worth talking to or deserving rape and beatings, a good teacher can provide an astonishing revelation. A good teacher can give a child at least a chance to feel. 'She thinks I'm worth something. Maybe I am.' "
Essay Topic 2
What role does Al Laudato play in Kidder's book? Is he an important part of Mrs. Zajac's success as a teacher? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Mrs. Zajac and her student teacher Miss Hunt. Are there traits they share in common? What are some of the ways the two women contrast each other.
This section contains 2,203 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)