|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mrs. Zajac and her husband live when they were first married?
2. What did Pedro's mother write on the bottom of his permission slip for the core evaluation?
3. After two days of being out of her class while Miss Hunt taught it, what did Mrs. Zajac say?
4. What was the core evaluation Mrs. Zajac wanted to get started for Pedro?
5. What grade was Mrs. Zajac's son in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Fridays good days in Mrs. Zajac's fifth grade class? How did they compare to Mondays?
2. In the first chapter, what does the reader learn about Mrs. Zajac? How old is she? How long has she been a teacher? Does she have a family?
3. What happened in the 1970's to the town of Holyoke? How did this affect the town and its economy? What plans did the state and local governments come up with to renew Holyoke?
4. What were the specific goals Mrs. Zajac had for all of her students in the fifth grade? Why did she consider these goals important?
5. What were the work conditions for female teachers of the late 19th and 20th centuries?
6. What were some of the tips Mrs. Zajac gives Pam Hunt before her three days teaching in the classroom alone?
7. What is the concept of "dual captivity"?
8. What was Mrs. Zajac's favorite saying, or mantra, to her students? What does she want her students to understand about learning?
9. What were Mrs. Zajac's concerns about Pedro? What was his behavior like in class? What plan did she come up with learn more about Pedro?
10. What was math class like for Mrs. Zajac? Why did they provide a particular challenge for her? How did she meet the challenge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many differences in teaching in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and teaching today. There are also many things in teaching that have remained relatively the same for over a hundred years. Discuss the changes and the constants between teaching in the past and teaching today.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Puerto Rican and white cultures as evidenced in church, in school, and in the city of Holyoke.
Essay Topic 3
What role does Al Laudato play in Kidder's book? Is he an important part of Mrs. Zajac's success as a teacher? Why?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)