|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Holyoke's primary industry at the turn of the century?
2. What were the two things the city of Holyoke was known for?
3. What did Clarence say on his way out of his after-school meeting with Mrs. Zajac on Friday afternoon?
4. What was the "cafetorium?"
5. What did Pedro's mother write on the bottom of his permission slip for the core evaluation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the name of Mrs. Zajac's school and where was it located? What did we know about the school? What was the make-up of the student body in her classroom?
2. What happened in the 1970's to the town of Holyoke? How did this affect the town and its economy? What plans did the state and local governments come up with to renew Holyoke?
3. What are some of the frustrations teachers teaching today face?
4. What are "cume" folders? Why do teachers have them? What goes into them? How does Mrs. Zajac use the cumes and why?
5. Why were Fridays good days in Mrs. Zajac's fifth grade class? How did they compare to Mondays?
6. What did Mrs. Zajac realize were the similarities and difference between Alice and Judith?
7. In the first chapter, what does the reader learn about Mrs. Zajac? How old is she? How long has she been a teacher? Does she have a family?
8. What were some of the tips Mrs. Zajac gives Pam Hunt before her three days teaching in the classroom alone?
9. What was math class like for Mrs. Zajac? Why did they provide a particular challenge for her? How did she meet the challenge?
10. What were the work conditions for female teachers of the late 19th and 20th centuries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the story of Kelly School's fifth grade class involved Mrs. Zajac and her work with Clarence. Do you believe Mrs. Zajac did all she could do for Clarence and made the right call by having him removed from the class? Or, do you think she should have kept Clarence in the room and continued to try and help him? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What role does Al Laudato play in Kidder's book? Is he an important part of Mrs. Zajac's success as a teacher? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What specific challenges did teaching math in her classroom present to Mrs. Zajac? What teaching skills did she employ in order to meet the challenge?
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)