|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Mrs. Zajac done her student teaching?
2. What were some of the implements Ancient Greek and Roman teachers used to enforce discipline in the classroom?
3. What happened to Lisette, one of the quiet children in the room, in October?
4. What was something Mrs. Zajac liked about Pam's lessons for the children?
5. How many minutes did Mrs. Zajac give students to read whatever they want to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the frustrations teachers teaching today face?
2. How was Robert's behavior in class? What were Mrs. Zajac's concerns about both his work and his behavior? What new behaviors had Mrs. Zajac noticed?
3. What were some of the changes January brought to Mrs. Zajac's class and her students?
4. What did Mrs. Zajac realize were the similarities and difference between Alice and Judith?
5. What were the work conditions for female teachers of the late 19th and 20th centuries?
6. How did Mrs. Zajac feel about teaching during the last month of school? What did she consider her obligations and how did she try to meet them?
7. What did Mrs. Zajac begin to realize about continuing to keep Clarence in her class? What were her options?
8. Where did Mrs. Zajac take her class on a field trip? Why did she choose this place for the children to see? Why was this trip especially important to Judith and Arabella?
9. As the class approached spring break, how did Mrs. Zajac feel about her class? About herself? What were her parting words to Jimmy as the children leave for a week's break?
10. What did Mrs. Zajac and her family do over spring break? Who organized the experience? Why did Mrs. Zajac decide to spend her spring break this way?
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Zajac took her fifth grade class on a field trip to Old Sturbridge Village and had two different agendas for the field trip. What were those two agendas, and how did she work to accomplish both? Why was this trip important to Mrs. Zajac?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book when school is over, Mrs. Zajac described Clarence and Robert as "my failures." Do you agree that Mrs. Zajac had failed these two students? Defend your position.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the qualities of a good teacher that Kidder presents through the teacher Mrs. Zajac? Are there any overarching qualities necessary to be a good teacher in Kidder's opinion? What are they and why does he believe those qualities to be important?
This section contains 1,982 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)