|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to a young substitute who came to Kelly School for the first time?
2. What was Mrs. Zajac's maiden name?
3. Who was the principal of Kelly School when Mrs. Zajac was a teacher there?
4. What did the principal of Kelly School identify as one of his better skills?
5. While teaching a lesson with one student, what did Mrs. Zajac do with her eyes as she taught?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Clarence immediately catch Mrs. Zajac's eye? What were some of his behaviors in the classroom? What did she and her student teacher Miss Hunt notice about Clarence?
2. What were some of the tips Mrs. Zajac gives Pam Hunt before her three days teaching in the classroom alone?
3. What was the name of Mrs. Zajac's school and where was it located? What did we know about the school? What was the make-up of the student body in her classroom?
4. What was Mrs. Zajac's favorite saying, or mantra, to her students? What does she want her students to understand about learning?
5. What are some of the frustrations teachers teaching today face?
6. In the first chapter, what does the reader learn about Mrs. Zajac? How old is she? How long has she been a teacher? Does she have a family?
7. Who was Alphonse Laudato? What kind of job did he have at Kelly School? Did Mrs. Zajac like him? Why or why not?
8. What were the work conditions for female teachers of the late 19th and 20th centuries?
9. Where was Mrs. Zajac born, and where did she grow up? What did her father do for a living? What was a unique quality about the town in which she was born?
10. What happened in the 1970's to the town of Holyoke? How did this affect the town and its economy? What plans did the state and local governments come up with to renew Holyoke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Suzanne? What role did she play in Mrs. Zajac's life? Why did the writer tell us about Suzanne?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Zajac took her fifth grade class on a field trip to Old Sturbridge Village and had two different agendas for the field trip. What were those two agendas, and how did she work to accomplish both? Why was this trip important to Mrs. Zajac?
Essay Topic 3
There are many differences in teaching in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and teaching today. There are also many things in teaching that have remained relatively the same for over a hundred years. Discuss the changes and the constants between teaching in the past and teaching today.
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)