|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two girls were obviously friends and wanted to sit together in class?
2. When was Kelly School built?
3. What did the principal of Kelly School identify as one of his better skills?
4. What is "dual captivity?"
5. What did Judith tell Mrs. Zajac she wanted to do when she got older?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mrs. Zajac begin her school day? What did she teach in the mornings? Why was this a challenge?
2. What were some of the tips Mrs. Zajac gives Pam Hunt before her three days teaching in the classroom alone?
3. What was Mrs. Zajac's favorite saying, or mantra, to her students? What does she want her students to understand about learning?
4. Where was Mrs. Zajac born, and where did she grow up? What did her father do for a living? What was a unique quality about the town in which she was born?
5. How was Robert's behavior in class? What were Mrs. Zajac's concerns about both his work and his behavior? What new behaviors had Mrs. Zajac noticed?
6. What were the specific goals Mrs. Zajac had for all of her students in the fifth grade? Why did she consider these goals important?
7. What are "cume" folders? Why do teachers have them? What goes into them? How does Mrs. Zajac use the cumes and why?
8. What was the name of Mrs. Zajac's school and where was it located? What did we know about the school? What was the make-up of the student body in her classroom?
9. When and where did Mrs. Zajac have time to grade her social studies papers? What trend did Mrs. Zajac see in her students' performance? Who in particular had made real strides in class and homework? Who had not done so well?
10. What were the afternoons like for Mrs. Zajac? Why were they easier for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Hunt was the student teacher for sixteen weeks in the beginning of the school year. What suggestions did Mrs. Zajac give Miss Hunt as she prepared to go out into the world and teach? Why was each suggestion an important one?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book when school is over, Mrs. Zajac described Clarence and Robert as "my failures." Do you agree that Mrs. Zajac had failed these two students? Defend your position.
Essay Topic 3
Who were some of the leading people in the history of the philosophy of education? What did each of them believe public education should be in America? Have any of their visions come true? Discuss.
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)