|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the two children in her class Mrs. Zajac imagined bringing home to live with her?
2. What was Mrs. Zajac's maiden name?
3. Where had Mrs. Zajac done her student teaching?
4. What happened if a student did not hand in their best work?
5. What did Clarence say on his way out of his after-school meeting with Mrs. Zajac on Friday afternoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the afternoons like for Mrs. Zajac? Why were they easier for her?
2. In the first chapter, what does the reader learn about Mrs. Zajac? How old is she? How long has she been a teacher? Does she have a family?
3. What subject did Mrs. Zajac's students have on Wednesday afternoons? How was the behavior in the classroom different from other times as the students prepared their Halloween project?
4. What was math class like for Mrs. Zajac? Why did they provide a particular challenge for her? How did she meet the challenge?
5. How was Robert's behavior in class? What were Mrs. Zajac's concerns about both his work and his behavior? What new behaviors had Mrs. Zajac noticed?
6. What were the specific goals Mrs. Zajac had for all of her students in the fifth grade? Why did she consider these goals important?
7. What were the work conditions for female teachers of the late 19th and 20th centuries?
8. What are "cume" folders? Why do teachers have them? What goes into them? How does Mrs. Zajac use the cumes and why?
9. What were the demographics of Kelly School? Were they in line with the demographics of the community? What else do we know about the families attending Kelly School?
10. How did Clarence's behavior change in the first three days of school? What was Mrs. Zajac's reaction? What were Clarence's consequences for his behavior? What does Mrs. Zajac finally decide to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Suzanne? What role did she play in Mrs. Zajac's life? Why did the writer tell us about Suzanne?
Essay Topic 2
At the Science Fair, Mrs. Zajac decided to speak to Al about rethinking the fair because it may not be appropriate for Kelly School. Later, when she saw the disappointment and frustration of the students who did not receive an award, she told herself to remember to give all students awards next time. Why did she think a science fair might not be appropriate for the school? Explain how Mrs. Zajac could feel both things simultaneously. What does this say about her as a teacher?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book when school is over, Mrs. Zajac described Clarence and Robert as "my failures." Do you agree that Mrs. Zajac had failed these two students? Defend your position.
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)