|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mrs. Zajac say about Judith when comparing the child with herself?
2. What did Clarence say on his way out of his after-school meeting with Mrs. Zajac on Friday afternoon?
3. What was Mrs. Zajac's maiden name?
4. Why did Mrs. Zajac hold Clarence in her room after school on Friday?
5. What were the other subjects students had in the afternoons in Mrs. Zajac's class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Alphonse Laudato? What kind of job did he have at Kelly School? Did Mrs. Zajac like him? Why or why not?
2. What were some of the tips Mrs. Zajac gives Pam Hunt before her three days teaching in the classroom alone?
3. What was the name of Mrs. Zajac's school and where was it located? What did we know about the school? What was the make-up of the student body in her classroom?
4. Why did Clarence immediately catch Mrs. Zajac's eye? What were some of his behaviors in the classroom? What did she and her student teacher Miss Hunt notice about Clarence?
5. What is the concept of "dual captivity"?
6. What was Mrs. Zajac's favorite saying, or mantra, to her students? What does she want her students to understand about learning?
7. Where was Mrs. Zajac born, and where did she grow up? What did her father do for a living? What was a unique quality about the town in which she was born?
8. How did the students respond to Miss Hunt's leaving the class once her student teaching time was over? How did Mrs. Zajac respond? Which students surprised Mrs. Zajac when they were sad to see Miss Hunt go?
9. What are some of the frustrations teachers teaching today face?
10. What were the demographics of Kelly School? Were they in line with the demographics of the community? What else do we know about the families attending Kelly School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose three of the children in Mrs. Zajac's fifth grade. How are the children similar? How are they different? Include social skills, cultural differences, levels of intelligence, family backgrounds.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Mrs. Zajac and her student teacher Miss Hunt. Are there traits they share in common? What are some of the ways the two women contrast each other.
Essay Topic 3
Much of the story of Kelly School's fifth grade class involved Mrs. Zajac and her work with Clarence. Do you believe Mrs. Zajac did all she could do for Clarence and made the right call by having him removed from the class? Or, do you think she should have kept Clarence in the room and continued to try and help him? Support your answer.
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)