|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the two children in her class Mrs. Zajac imagined bringing home to live with her?
2. What was the Highland Dingle?
3. About half of Mrs. Zajac's class was what nationality?
4. What happened to a young substitute who came to Kelly School for the first time?
5. What did Mrs. Zajac tell her students to think when they hand in their work to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Robert's behavior in class? What were Mrs. Zajac's concerns about both his work and his behavior? What new behaviors had Mrs. Zajac noticed?
2. What did Mrs. Zajac realize were the similarities and difference between Alice and Judith?
3. What were the specific goals Mrs. Zajac had for all of her students in the fifth grade? Why did she consider these goals important?
4. What were the afternoons like for Mrs. Zajac? Why were they easier for her?
5. Why were Fridays good days in Mrs. Zajac's fifth grade class? How did they compare to Mondays?
6. Where was Mrs. Zajac born, and where did she grow up? What did her father do for a living? What was a unique quality about the town in which she was born?
7. What are some of the frustrations teachers teaching today face?
8. Why did Mrs. Zajac allow her students to choose their own desks on the first day of school? What message did she want to send to her students? What did she learn about the children by allowing them their choice of seats?
9. What are "cume" folders? Why do teachers have them? What goes into them? How does Mrs. Zajac use the cumes and why?
10. What was math class like for Mrs. Zajac? Why did they provide a particular challenge for her? How did she meet the challenge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the story of Kelly School's fifth grade class involved Mrs. Zajac and her work with Clarence. Do you believe Mrs. Zajac did all she could do for Clarence and made the right call by having him removed from the class? Or, do you think she should have kept Clarence in the room and continued to try and help him? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the qualities of a good teacher that Kidder presents through the teacher Mrs. Zajac? Are there any overarching qualities necessary to be a good teacher in Kidder's opinion? What are they and why does he believe those qualities to be important?
Essay Topic 3
There are many differences in teaching in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and teaching today. There are also many things in teaching that have remained relatively the same for over a hundred years. Discuss the changes and the constants between teaching in the past and teaching today.
This section contains 1,335 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)