|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What different kinds of reports did Mrs Zajac assign to her students monthly?
2. Where had Mrs. Zajac done her student teaching?
3. What did classroom management require as Mrs. Zajac practiced it?
4. What did Judith do when she had finished her classwork and had extra time?
5. What did Judith tell Mrs. Zajac she wanted to do when she got older?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mrs. Zajac allow her students to choose their own desks on the first day of school? What message did she want to send to her students? What did she learn about the children by allowing them their choice of seats?
2. What was Mrs. Zajac's favorite saying, or mantra, to her students? What does she want her students to understand about learning?
3. How did Clarence's behavior change in the first three days of school? What was Mrs. Zajac's reaction? What were Clarence's consequences for his behavior? What does Mrs. Zajac finally decide to do?
4. Why did Clarence immediately catch Mrs. Zajac's eye? What were some of his behaviors in the classroom? What did she and her student teacher Miss Hunt notice about Clarence?
5. What were the specific goals Mrs. Zajac had for all of her students in the fifth grade? Why did she consider these goals important?
6. What were Mrs. Zajac's concerns about Pedro? What was his behavior like in class? What plan did she come up with learn more about Pedro?
7. What happened in the 1970's to the town of Holyoke? How did this affect the town and its economy? What plans did the state and local governments come up with to renew Holyoke?
8. What subject did Mrs. Zajac's students have on Wednesday afternoons? How was the behavior in the classroom different from other times as the students prepared their Halloween project?
9. What are "cume" folders? Why do teachers have them? What goes into them? How does Mrs. Zajac use the cumes and why?
10. What kind of parent participation did Mrs. Zajac receive from her students' families? How did she respond to this situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Zajac took her fifth grade class on a field trip to Old Sturbridge Village and had two different agendas for the field trip. What were those two agendas, and how did she work to accomplish both? Why was this trip important to Mrs. Zajac?
Essay Topic 2
Teaching in America today is a challenge, but the history of teaching in America has always been fraught with challenges. What are some of the challenges faced by teachers in the earlier part of the century that are no longer a problem today? What ones remain challenges to teachers today? Why do you think this is?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the qualities of a good teacher that Kidder presents through the teacher Mrs. Zajac? Are there any overarching qualities necessary to be a good teacher in Kidder's opinion? What are they and why does he believe those qualities to be important?
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)