|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mrs. Zajac write on the board daily before her students arrived?
2. What different kinds of reports did Mrs Zajac assign to her students monthly?
3. Who was Lil?
4. What was Holyoke's primary industry at the turn of the century?
5. What was the favorite book Mrs. Zajac was reading to her students after recess daily?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Clarence immediately catch Mrs. Zajac's eye? What were some of his behaviors in the classroom? What did she and her student teacher Miss Hunt notice about Clarence?
2. What is the history of Puerto Ricans in the town of Holyoke? How were they treated in the second half of the twentieth century?
3. What was the Alpha class? Who decided whether a child was appropriate for the Alpha class?
4. How did Clarence's behavior change in the first three days of school? What was Mrs. Zajac's reaction? What were Clarence's consequences for his behavior? What does Mrs. Zajac finally decide to do?
5. To what church did Mrs. Zajac belong for all of her life? Why was this? What did Mrs. Zajac enjoy about her church?
6. How did Mrs. Zajac differ outside of her class from inside her classroom?
7. What did Mrs. Zajac and her family do over spring break? Who organized the experience? Why did Mrs. Zajac decide to spend her spring break this way?
8. How did Mrs. Zajac think the students in her class would react to Clarence's departure from their class? How did they actually respond to Clarence not being in the classroom?
9. What were some of the tips Mrs. Zajac gives Pam Hunt before her three days teaching in the classroom alone?
10. What were some of the other students' projects entered in the science fair? How did Mrs. Zajac feel about the parents who did not help their children with their Science Fair projects?
Essay Topic 1
What role does Al Laudato play in Kidder's book? Is he an important part of Mrs. Zajac's success as a teacher? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What specific challenges did teaching math in her classroom present to Mrs. Zajac? What teaching skills did she employ in order to meet the challenge?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the book when school is over, Mrs. Zajac described Clarence and Robert as "my failures." Do you agree that Mrs. Zajac had failed these two students? Defend your position.
This section contains 2,141 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)