|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children in Mrs. Zajac's class ate free lunches?
2. What were the "middle person desks" in Mrs. Zajac's classroom?
3. How many children were in Mrs. Zajac's class?
4. About how many "personal interactions" does a teacher need to manage successfully in order for students to feel secure?
5. While Pam was teaching the class, who was disruptive and threatened to punch her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mrs. Zajac realize were the similarities and difference between Alice and Judith?
2. What were the demographics of Kelly School? Were they in line with the demographics of the community? What else do we know about the families attending Kelly School?
3. What are some of the frustrations teachers teaching today face?
4. What were Mrs. Zajac's concerns about Pedro? What was his behavior like in class? What plan did she come up with learn more about Pedro?
5. Why did Mrs. Zajac allow her students to choose their own desks on the first day of school? What message did she want to send to her students? What did she learn about the children by allowing them their choice of seats?
6. What were the work conditions for female teachers of the late 19th and 20th centuries?
7. Clarence continued to be a concern in Mrs. Zajac's class. What kinds of things did Clarence do that were of concern to Mrs. Zajac? How did these behaviors contrast with others in the classroom?
8. When and where did Mrs. Zajac have time to grade her social studies papers? What trend did Mrs. Zajac see in her students' performance? Who in particular had made real strides in class and homework? Who had not done so well?
9. Where was Mrs. Zajac born, and where did she grow up? What did her father do for a living? What was a unique quality about the town in which she was born?
10. What was math class like for Mrs. Zajac? Why did they provide a particular challenge for her? How did she meet the challenge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Hunt was the student teacher for sixteen weeks in the beginning of the school year. What suggestions did Mrs. Zajac give Miss Hunt as she prepared to go out into the world and teach? Why was each suggestion an important one?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book when school is over, Mrs. Zajac described Clarence and Robert as "my failures." Do you agree that Mrs. Zajac had failed these two students? Defend your position.
Essay Topic 3
Kelly School was the setting for this book. Where was the school? What information did the author give about the history of the school? About the physical plant of the school? What was the ethnic make up of the school? Could this book have been set in a different school in a different city? Why?
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)