|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children in Mrs. Zajac's class ate free lunches?
2. What was the favorite book Mrs. Zajac was reading to her students after recess daily?
3. Whose hand shot up for almost every question Mrs. Zajac asked the class?
4. About how many pieces of paper did Mrs. Zajac handle daily at school
5. Why did Mrs. Zajac recite the rosary at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are "cume" folders? Why do teachers have them? What goes into them? How does Mrs. Zajac use the cumes and why?
2. How did the students respond to Miss Hunt's leaving the class once her student teaching time was over? How did Mrs. Zajac respond? Which students surprised Mrs. Zajac when they were sad to see Miss Hunt go?
3. Where was Mrs. Zajac born, and where did she grow up? What did her father do for a living? What was a unique quality about the town in which she was born?
4. What subject did Mrs. Zajac's students have on Wednesday afternoons? How was the behavior in the classroom different from other times as the students prepared their Halloween project?
5. What were the work conditions for female teachers of the late 19th and 20th centuries?
6. When and where did Mrs. Zajac have time to grade her social studies papers? What trend did Mrs. Zajac see in her students' performance? Who in particular had made real strides in class and homework? Who had not done so well?
7. What did Mrs. Zajac realize were the similarities and difference between Alice and Judith?
8. What happened in the 1970's to the town of Holyoke? How did this affect the town and its economy? What plans did the state and local governments come up with to renew Holyoke?
9. How did Clarence's behavior change in the first three days of school? What was Mrs. Zajac's reaction? What were Clarence's consequences for his behavior? What does Mrs. Zajac finally decide to do?
10. What were the afternoons like for Mrs. Zajac? Why were they easier for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the term "dual captivity" mean? How does it apply to public education?
Essay Topic 2
Who was Suzanne? What role did she play in Mrs. Zajac's life? Why did the writer tell us about Suzanne?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Zajac's classroom had many Puerto Rican students in it. How were Puerto Ricans treated in Holyoke? How were they represented in the school? What were some of the things Mrs. Zajac did to honor the Puerto Rican students in her class, and their culture?
This section contains 1,370 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)