|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Clarence say on his way out of his after-school meeting with Mrs. Zajac on Friday afternoon?
2. What did Mrs. Zajac allow the students to do on the first day?
3. Who were the two children in her class Mrs. Zajac imagined bringing home to live with her?
4. What game did Mrs. Zajac invent in order to get her students' attention in math one day?
5. What did Mrs. Zajac put on her classroom door before the children arrived?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Mrs. Zajac born, and where did she grow up? What did her father do for a living? What was a unique quality about the town in which she was born?
2. Why did Mrs. Zajac allow her students to choose their own desks on the first day of school? What message did she want to send to her students? What did she learn about the children by allowing them their choice of seats?
3. How was Robert's behavior in class? What were Mrs. Zajac's concerns about both his work and his behavior? What new behaviors had Mrs. Zajac noticed?
4. What kind of parent participation did Mrs. Zajac receive from her students' families? How did she respond to this situation?
5. What were the specific goals Mrs. Zajac had for all of her students in the fifth grade? Why did she consider these goals important?
6. In the first chapter, what does the reader learn about Mrs. Zajac? How old is she? How long has she been a teacher? Does she have a family?
7. What were Mrs. Zajac's concerns about Pedro? What was his behavior like in class? What plan did she come up with learn more about Pedro?
8. How did Mrs. Zajac begin her school day? What did she teach in the mornings? Why was this a challenge?
9. Who was Alphonse Laudato? What kind of job did he have at Kelly School? Did Mrs. Zajac like him? Why or why not?
10. What were the demographics of Kelly School? Were they in line with the demographics of the community? What else do we know about the families attending Kelly School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Al Laudato play in Kidder's book? Is he an important part of Mrs. Zajac's success as a teacher? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What does the term "dual captivity" mean? How does it apply to public education?
Essay Topic 3
Much of the story of Kelly School's fifth grade class involved Mrs. Zajac and her work with Clarence. Do you believe Mrs. Zajac did all she could do for Clarence and made the right call by having him removed from the class? Or, do you think she should have kept Clarence in the room and continued to try and help him? Support your answer.
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)